Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Which Mer Do You Prefer? POLL

Kallykat
Kallykat
✭✭✭✭✭
Based on lore and aesthetics, which is your favorite Mer race? Please explain your choice below.

(Since I cannot include more than 10 options, the Orsimer have not been classified as Elves here.)

Which Mer Do You Prefer? POLL 148 votes

Dunmer - the Dark Elves of Morrowind
27%
theskymovesczarShaloknirHopfmHidesFromSunSosRuvaakKamboMastreusKr3doXDark_One13The_LexGrigorijMalahevichjeedrzejJacen_VeronvestahlsBigBadVolkFakeFoxNyassaVHippie4927gepe87 40 votes
Bosmer - the Wood Elves of Valenwood
24%
SolarikenGreevirTryxusCaehnIthilisSimen.askeland89b16_ESOLoralai_907DjennkuJeinaLarianaOberon45Number_51MyrnhielWernaertDiabolus1989GagginAcadianPaladinThisOneFroilSirAxen 36 votes
Altmer - the High Elves of the Summerset Isles
16%
JdrayErdbeermuffinRadianceIdinuseAjaxandrielListerJMCJJBoomerTyavariLadyHeloiseemilyhyoyeonSivhanaTheImperfectcrjs1Seminolegirl1992PrayingSeraphgjohnson146FortunattoZulera301phwaapZelus19 25 votes
Aldmer - the First Folk or Elder Folk of Aldmeris
2%
AtharaonChaos2088Aendruu 3 votes
Chimer - the Changed Folk, the ancestors of the Dunmer
1%
Shadow_Akulamateosalvaje 2 votes
Maormer - the Sea Elves of Pyandonea
6%
elias.stormneb18_ESOSurprisedFour91Freakin_HytteflamesingArtim_XNord_RaseriYe_Olde_CrowezombniacSendirra 9 votes
Sinistral Mer - the Left-Handed Elves of Yokuda
0%
Ayleids - the Hearland High Elves or Wild Elves of ancient Cyrodiil
4%
NewbieOKSReverbDrathlyCeleste_blue_dragonKajuratusDosuulAnumaril 7 votes
Falmer - the Snow Elves, later the Betrayed
5%
beowulf_darkknight_ESOIruil_ESOtplink3r1InaMoonlightOtarTheMadLukosCreydenVeeskBeyak 8 votes
Dwemer - the Deep Elves, the Lost Race
12%
MaddjujuSporvanDagoth_RacSilverwillowAliyavanasusmitdsRaddlemanNumber7DBZVelenaHighlor3RABIDxWOLVERINEMinyassaPzTnTCielster_WoodmauleseBlaqk_EyeDskrvbb10rdAptonothNeptunXIVdebesyla 18 votes
  • Ithilis
    Ithilis
    ✭✭✭
    Bosmer because cannibalistic only-meat eating elves really connect with my sense of humor.

(Edited: I didn't read well enough :D )
    Edited by Ithilis on January 5, 2020 7:38PM
    Leader of Storytellers&Slavers RP guild PC EU
    Officer in Aetherius Art Housing guild PC EU
    Saxhleel - Power to the Hist
  • Toon_Raider
    Toon_Raider
    ✭✭✭
    Mermaid :)
  • Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mer favorite is the wood elves...
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maormer - the Sea Elves of Pyandonea
    Actually, Orsimer are my favorite elves, but as they are not listed I need not talk about their merits I guess.

Of those mentioned above, I like the Maormer best because I find them really attractive, and I have a thing for storm magic.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would vote for Bosmer, if there were any in this game. But there aren't, so I won't.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    surprised some of the mer listed got priority to be on the poll over orsimer.

I like the classic magical haughty mage theme of the altmer, among other things, but that's the main. I really like their superiority attitude for some reason, I know it's weird. Summerset geography is also really appealing to me. I fantasized about it long before ESO existed. I like the rest of the mer aside from Dunmer quite a bit too though, I think orcs would be my second favorite
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maormer are garbage and am very disappoint you didn't include Orsimer. For shame.
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...the incredibly obscure left handed elves included but not Orsimer? A bit odd if I'm honest...

Orsimer are my pick. Altmer are my second favorite
    Edited by PrayingSeraph on January 6, 2020 5:36AM
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have no love for Elves. Lore makes it clear that culturally they are generally backward looking and as a consequence their societies are all degenerating.

I voted for Dwemer mostly because of the wonderful stuff they left behind, but also because they're all dead and gone, and took whatever evil habits they had with them. This contrasts sharply with all the Elven cannibals, slavers and supremacists who are still alive.

I hope one day the game will give us a real chance to do some serious tinkering with the Dwemers' animunculi and their tonal architecture.

Don't worry about missing off Orcs. I wouldn't have voted for the Oinkymer anyway, living like pigs wallowing in their own emotional filth.
    PC EU
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dunmer first, maormer second.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boomer followed by bummer.
    Edited by Juhasow on January 6, 2020 12:42PM
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First I heard of the left handed elves. I was between dunmer and altmer but I just like Altmer better somehow.
  • mateosalvaje
    mateosalvaje
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chimer - the Changed Folk, the ancestors of the Dunmer
    Originally I was going to say Dunmer, but the Chimer fascinate me for some reason 🤔
    I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.
  • Juzz
    Juzz
    ✭✭✭
    Dead mer, cuz it makes things simple and quiet instead of pompous elven egos 😁
    Make Skyrim great again.
  • RABIDxWOLVERINE
    RABIDxWOLVERINE
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dwemer because of the mystery and intrigue
    Rhaegar Gregorson, The Ebonheart Centurion - Imperial Dragonknight
    RABIDxWOLVERINE - Xbox One, NA, Ebonheart Pact

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love all the elves! Of course, all of the cultures have their flaws and evils, but so do humans, and that is part of what makes TES unique and interesting. :)
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer are just too awesome. 😁

Having said that, I have an Orsimer night blade alt for when I need to bust some heads.
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orsimer
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mer aka going to use the classification as just elf and the word by the way translates to folk. All decendents of the Aldmeri elves of summerset given the fact khajiit and bosmer were once the same race. Had I done this poll Bosmer would likely be excluded or left handed elves. Because of the Bosmeri connection to khajiit. I would have put the Orsimer in the place of them. For the reasons listed. They are not Aldmer descendants even if the Altmer say they are. As the elder scrolls say its basically not a real thing just confusion from the dawn era when time wasn't around. All the Mer races are interesting especially the ones not around anymore. But I do think Orcs should be on the list.

Well Bosmer, Dunmer and Altmer might be consiered mer races by many, I personally classify Bosmer as Betmer and Orcs mer because of the lore connections. To the Bosmer to khajiiit and the Orcs to the Aldmer.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on January 9, 2020 1:07AM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Orcs are a type of Elf...did people really need to point that out? Especially when considering that they are playable when compared against many choices on the poll?
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer supremacy is the only truth.
    Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
    "Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    M'a'rmlade
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been always playing Dunmer. Their ethics and culture are somehow the most close to mine among other races. But there is one huge exception there: a pity there is no option to choose what Dunmer do we prefer: the House Mer, the Ashlanders, the Clockwork City citizens, the "foreign" Dunmer. There are so many options it is barely possible to vote Dunmer in general. For example, I have many more reasons to dislike the House Hlaalu Dunmer than the reasons to dislike any other tamrielic race, but I also can't vote against my folk in general because of it. It's not that simple to me personally, though I have made my choice almost 20 years ago and I've been sticking to it since that time.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orsimer...
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never knew there were so many mer. I like them all mostly, apart from Maormer, and i never heared of Sinistral Mer.
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Falmer - the Snow Elves, later the Betrayed
    This was a super tough choice between Bosmer and Falmer here. Whilst I love Bosmer for there quirky, eccentric personalities and their laid-back nature, I have to give it to the Falmer.

The Falmer quest in Morrowind's Solstheim DLC is the first thing in a video game that got me interested and invested enough that I wanted to learn more about a game world. Their air of mystery, their architecture, their pale, snowy appearance and The Snow Prince are all fascinating to me. Also, rather sadly, the fact that they are essentially a dead race is probably a large part of why they interested me so much. I remember, when Skyrim came out I was determined to scour the whole map for everything Falmer related. The Forgotten Vale in the Dawnguard DLC is one of my favourite locations in literally ANY video game. The fact that we get too actually meet living, Ancient Falmer was such a hype surprise for me.

I still remember what Paladin Gelebor said; that there may be other survivors out there somewhere. I hope we get to see them one day.

Whilst I hope for some juicy Falmer lore with the Skyrim chapter, I don't hold out too much hope. I mean, I know I will enjoy it anyway, but still, the Falmer are such an untapped font of beautiful location designs, storytelling and lore and 2E is the perfect time for us to explore it more.

If anyone else here loves the Falmer as much ss I do and still enjoys modding Skyrim, I strongly recommend checking out "Much Ado About Snow Elves". Fantastic mod that works exceptionally from a lore perspective, whilst also having a hint of spookiness (and with some cool rewards at the end). The mod is packaged in with the "Legacy of the Dragonborn" mod, which I would also strongly recommend.

Anyways, enough rambling, I love Snow Elves. Gimme more.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dwemer because I don't have to listen to however racist they might be since they're gone.
  • Kallykat
    Kallykat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was a super tough choice between Bosmer and Falmer here. Whilst I love Bosmer for there quirky, eccentric personalities and their laid-back nature, I have to give it to the Falmer.

The Falmer quest in Morrowind's Solstheim DLC is the first thing in a video game that got me interested and invested enough that I wanted to learn more about a game world. Their air of mystery, their architecture, their pale, snowy appearance and The Snow Prince are all fascinating to me. Also, rather sadly, the fact that they are essentially a dead race is probably a large part of why they interested me so much. I remember, when Skyrim came out I was determined to scour the whole map for everything Falmer related. The Forgotten Vale in the Dawnguard DLC is one of my favourite locations in literally ANY video game. The fact that we get too actually meet living, Ancient Falmer was such a hype surprise for me.

I still remember what Paladin Gelebor said; that there may be other survivors out there somewhere. I hope we get to see them one day.

Whilst I hope for some juicy Falmer lore with the Skyrim chapter, I don't hold out too much hope. I mean, I know I will enjoy it anyway, but still, the Falmer are such an untapped font of beautiful location designs, storytelling and lore and 2E is the perfect time for us to explore it more.

If anyone else here loves the Falmer as much ss I do and still enjoys modding Skyrim, I strongly recommend checking out "Much Ado About Snow Elves". Fantastic mod that works exceptionally from a lore perspective, whilst also having a hint of spookiness (and with some cool rewards at the end). The mod is packaged in with the "Legacy of the Dragonborn" mod, which I would also strongly recommend.

Anyways, enough rambling, I love Snow Elves. Gimme more.

Thanks for sharing! I hadn't thought about ZOS maybe adding Falmer lore in the upcoming Skyrim zone. Now I'm hoping they do (though I'm prepared to be disappointed).
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merchants. They repair your armour and you can sell them things for shiny gold coins
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orsimer
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523