The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Elsweyr - main quest starter

Omga4000
Omga4000
Soul Shriven
Hey everyone,

I am fairly new to Elder Scrolls Online.
I've recently opened a Necromancer and found myself in Elsweyr - but I could not understand how to begin the main quest(s).

Could anyone kindly assist and point me to the main quest starter? :)

Thank you!
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to work your way through the tutorial quest first of all.

Then go you will find yourself not far from Riverhold. There is a traveller near a bridge outside the town.

They will start you on the main quest for Elsweyr.

If you mean the main, main quest then head to Daggerfall, Davon's Watch or Auridon - depending on what alliance you are in.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fortunately, or not, there are about 7 or so Main Quests for the game. So, you kind of have to decide which one you want to do first. Game, Alliance, Chapter.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Omga4000
    Omga4000
    Soul Shriven

Then go you will find yourself not far from Riverhold. There is a traveller near a bridge outside the town.

If you mean the main, main quest then head to Daggerfall, Davon's Watch or Auridon - depending on what alliance you are in.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Thank you for your assistance!

I've gotten a quest which claims "This quest is part of the zone story for Northern Elsweyr".
    Am I correct to assume that this is the main Elsweyr quest? :)

Also, I bought the "Sealed Imperial Summons" Quest Starter (It's free) and it led me to Daggerfall.
    I noticed a "Main Quest" tab in my Quest Journal. Is this the "main, main quest"?
    Nestor wrote: »
    Fortunately, or not, there are about 7 or so Main Quests for the game. So, you kind of have to decide which one you want to do first. Game, Alliance, Chapter.

I would love to hear more about it.
    Is there a special main quest for Breton's, for example?
  • Bored_Owl
    Bored_Owl
    ✭✭
    Not for Bretons specifically, but the Covenant Alliance questline goes across multiple Breton zones (Glenumbra, Stormhaven, Rivenspire, and half of Bankorai).
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sealed summons starts the Elsweyr prequel quest.

The zone story is indeed the main quest for Elsweyr.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Omga4000 wrote: »
    There are three main "story arcs" in ESO - the Planemeld, the Daedric War, and the Season of the Dragon. Each zone has its own storyline, some of which form a part of the main story arcs.

The Planemeld storyline is the one from the original base game of ESO - this is made up of the original "Main Story" questline, and three Alliance Storylines, one for each of the three main factions. This is the one that gets auto-started when you visit Daggerfall, or any other major city in the base game zones. If narrative continuity is important to you, it is highly recommended that you complete the first "Main Story" quest - Soul Shriven in Coldharbour - before completing any other quest in those zones. Depending on your chosen alliance in character creation, once you complete Soul Shriven in Coldharbour, you will be started on the Alliance Storyline for your faction. The Alliance Storyline itself is made up of all the "Zone Storylines" for the zones in your faction's territory. Each one will lead on to the next, from your faction's original starter islands through five standard zones. The original Main Quest is designed to run in parallel with this, as the storylines join together in a quest called "Messages Across Tamriel" once you have completed the final Alliance Zone and/or the tenth Main Story quest. This then takes you to Coldharbour, the final zone in the Planemeld storyline, which you must complete to unlock the final quest in the Main Story questline. After completing the Main Story, the game guides you through the Alliance Storylines of the two other factions. Note also that the questlines for the Mages Guild and Fighters Guild are also designed to run parallel with the Alliance Storylines.

The final Zone Storyline available in the base game (without any DLCs or expansions) is the Star-Gazers storyline in Craglorn. This is not part of any story arc.

The storyline of the Imperial City DLC is an add-on to the Planemeld storyline, but not directly part of it.

Next up is the storyline of the Orsinium DLC. This storyline bridges the gap between the Alliance storylines and the Daedric War, as it makes reference to both. It is however not considered part of any major story arc.

The storylines of the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood DLCs are also not part of any major story arc, but there is a side quest in the Gold Coast (Dark Brotherhood DLC) which becomes relevant later in the Daedric War storyline.

The second major story arc is the Daedric War storyline, which covers the Morrowind and Summerset chapters, and the Clockwork City DLC. Each storyline from here onwards is preceded by a "prologue quest", available as a side quest somewhere in the base game zones. The Morrowind chapter is the first part of the Daedric War storyline, which is preceded by the quest "The Missing Prophecy", available from the inn in Wayrest. The Clockwork City DLC is the second part of the storyline, and is preceded by "Of Knives and Long Shadows", available at the Mournhold Mages Guild. Finally, "Through a Veil Darkly", available from the Mages Guild in Daggerfall, precedes the Summerset chapter. The Daedric War storyline concludes at the end of the Zone Storyline for Summerset.

Next up is the storyline of the Murkmire DLC. Murkmire's prologue quest is "Ruthless Competition", available from a character in Daggerfall. Murkmire is not part of any story arc.

The third story arc is the Season of the Dragon, and is the one we are currently in the middle of. The Dungeon DLC Pack "Wrathstone" is the start of this season, but if dungeons aren't for you, I personally don't think you're missing much. The true start of the season is with the prologue quest "The Demon Weapon", available from a character on the road outside Daggerfall, and also currently available from the Sealed Imperial Summons in the Crown Store. You have already started the storyline of Elsweyr itself, as indicated by the Zone Story icon on that quest you mentioned.

The Season of the Dragon story will continue in the next Dungeon DLC pack, as well as in the October/November Zone DLC.

For more information:
    • Go here for a summary of all the Zone Story chains and how they fit into the story arcs, as well as a diagram of how the Alliance Storylines and Main Quest make up the Planemeld storyline.
    • Go here for a list of all the quests which make up the Daedric War storyline, listed in chronological order.
    • Go here for details of all the DLC/Chapter prologue quests.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions, and have fun!
    Edited by Enodoc on May 23, 2019 7:32PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Thank you for your assistance!

I've gotten a quest which claims "This quest is part of the zone story for Northern Elsweyr".
    Am I correct to assume that this is the main Elsweyr quest? :)

Also, I bought the "Sealed Imperial Summons" Quest Starter (It's free) and it led me to Daggerfall.
    I noticed a "Main Quest" tab in my Quest Journal. Is this the "main, main quest"?

Is there a special main quest for Breton's, for example?

The sealed imperial summons was part of the preview quest for Elsweyr. In it you will meet a guy named Abnur Tharn. If you follow the main quest in the game revolving around a character called The Prophet, this imperial summons quest may confuse you. In the Prophet questline, which is the original game's main quest, you are involved with Abnur Tharn in a different way. Trying not to spoil the main quest, but you rescue Tharn from a bad situation and he is part of the line of characters in that quest line thereafter. The imperial summons quest assumes you've already met Abnur Tharn in the main quest and have gone through everything in that quest. If you do the imperial summons quest before the main quest, don't be confused when you're introduced to Abnur Tharn as a stranger in a weird circumstance that makes you wonder how he was possibly in the place he was to work with you through the imperial summons quest. You can do quests in this game out of chronological or logical order, and this is one of those quests. But the imperial summons quest is not necessary for the main questline, and as a new player you may want to put it off until after you do the Prophet main quest line. But then again, the imperial summons quest was meant to introduce Elsweyr - so if you do it after you've already been playing in Elsweyr that may also be confusing. Sorry to be so cryptic, but take the imperial summons quest as kind of outside of the main quest line for the game and the zone story quest line for Elsweyr.
  • bethsheba
    bethsheba
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom Would anyone be able to sticky this post on the front page of General Discussion (or a similar post written by you folks) With each new chapter and subsequent tutorial questing, players new and returning really would benefit from having the information on the Original vanilla main quest readily available. OR another suggestion that unfortunately would add some load to the programmers, is to offer a Tutorial selection screen upon character creation, with a brief description of each for a new character to launch into.

Thank you for your consideration.
    Enodoc wrote: »
    There are three main "story arcs" in ESO - the Planemeld, the Daedric War, and the Season of the Dragon. Each zone has its own storyline, some of which form a part of the main story arcs.

The Planemeld storyline is the one from the original base game of ESO - this is made up of the original "Main Story" questline, and three Alliance Storylines, one for each of the three main factions. This is the one that gets auto-started when you visit Daggerfall, or any other major city in the base game zones. If narrative continuity is important to you, it is highly recommended that you complete the first "Main Story" quest - Soul Shriven in Coldharbour - before completing any other quest in those zones. Depending on your chosen alliance in character creation, once you complete Soul Shriven in Coldharbour, you will be started on the Alliance Storyline for your faction. The Alliance Storyline itself is made up of all the "Zone Storylines" for the zones in your faction's territory. Each one will lead on to the next, from your faction's original starter islands through five standard zones. The original Main Quest is designed to run in parallel with this, as the storylines join together in a quest called "Messages Across Tamriel" once you have completed the final Alliance Zone and/or the tenth Main Story quest. This then takes you to Coldharbour, the final zone in the Planemeld storyline, which you must complete to unlock the final quest in the Main Story questline. After completing the Main Story, the game guides you through the Alliance Storylines of the two other factions. Note also that the questlines for the Mages Guild and Fighters Guild are also designed to run parallel with the Alliance Storylines.

The final Zone Storyline available in the base game (without any DLCs or expansions) is the Star-Gazers storyline in Craglorn. This is not part of any story arc.

The storyline of the Imperial City DLC is an add-on to the Planemeld storyline, but not directly part of it.

Next up is the storyline of the Orsinium DLC. This storyline bridges the gap between the Alliance storylines and the Daedric War, as it makes reference to both. It is however not considered part of any major story arc.

The storylines of the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood DLCs are also not part of any major story arc, but there is a side quest in the Gold Coast (Dark Brotherhood DLC) which becomes relevant later in the Daedric War storyline.

The second major story arc is the Daedric War storyline, which covers the Morrowind and Summerset chapters, and the Clockwork City DLC. Each storyline from here onwards is preceded by a "prologue quest", available as a side quest somewhere in the base game zones. The Morrowind chapter is the first part of the Daedric War storyline, which is preceded by the quest "The Missing Prophecy", available from the inn in Wayrest. The Clockwork City DLC is the second part of the storyline, and is preceded by "Of Knives and Long Shadows", available at the Mournhold Mages Guild. Finally, "Through a Veil Darkly", available from the Mages Guild in Daggerfall, precedes the Summerset chapter. The Daedric War storyline concludes at the end of the Zone Storyline for Summerset.

Next up is the storyline of the Murkmire DLC. Murkmire's prologue quest is "Ruthless Competition", available from a character in Daggerfall. Murkmire is not part of any story arc.

The third story arc is the Season of the Dragon, and is the one we are currently in the middle of. The Dungeon DLC Pack "Wrathstone" is the start of this season, but if dungeons aren't for you, I personally don't think you're missing much. The true start of the season is with the prologue quest "The Demon Weapon", available from a character on the road outside Daggerfall, and also currently available from the Sealed Imperial Summons in the Crown Store. You have already started the storyline of Elsweyr itself, as indicated by the Zone Story icon on that quest you mentioned.

The Season of the Dragon story will continue in the next Dungeon DLC pack, as well as in the October/November Zone DLC.

For more information:
    • Go here for a summary of all the Zone Story chains and how they fit into the story arcs, as well as a diagram of how the Alliance Storylines and Main Quest make up the Planemeld storyline.
    • Go here for a list of all the quests which make up the Daedric War storyline, listed in chronological order.
    • Go here for details of all the DLC/Chapter prologue quests.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions, and have fun!

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bethsheba wrote: »
    another suggestion that unfortunately would add some load to the programmers, is to offer a Tutorial selection screen upon character creation, with a brief description of each for a new character to launch into.
    Myself and others have been suggesting this for years (and will continue to do so), but it doesn't seem like something they're interested in doing.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp