The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Sword or maul of an onslaught build?

Ariades_swe
Ariades_swe
✭✭✭✭✭
For an onslaught build what do you all prefer?
Sword for more damage during onslaught phase or maul for more damage when onslaught not up.
Edited by Ariades_swe on December 30, 2019 7:37PM
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I normally go with a sword for the buffed weapdmg/healing. But then again I'm a scrub and main magicka builds :P
    EU | PC
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Master_Kas wrote: »
    I normally go with a sword for the buffed weapdmg/healing. But then again I'm a scrub and main magicka builds :P

swords do not amp healing, it is pure damage percentage. with that in mind, you would be better off with a nirn maul in pvp in almost every other scenario, so i would just go with that that.
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally go for a sword because onslaught is a fairly cheap ultimate, and I want it to hit like a truck in my particular burst combo.
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »

swords do not amp healing, it is pure damage percentage. with that in mind, you would be better off with a nirn maul in pvp in almost every other scenario, so i would just go with that that.

It does buff your weap/spelldmg which increases heals or I got this all wrong?
    EU | PC
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It‘s just a % dmg amp, like beserk. It doesnt buff your weapon dmg more than other 2h weapons.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

you got this all wrong, like Chilly-McFreeze already said.
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally? Maul. Sword might have been worth it when Onslaught was 12 (10?) seconds, but with 5 seconds more often than not you're CC'd or LoS'd. I might change my mind if it was in a BG or with a very coordinated group, but for most cases, having the pen while Onslaught isn't up is a bigger deal to me.
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For magicka though, sword is better as maul is not boosting you spell pen.

As for the OP, 5 seconds does not make up for the loss of pen on a maul. Also; I heard someone tested and the most pen you get from onslaught is 20-25k armor. It's not full if they are beyond that
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even magicka builds have 15K+ physical resistance w 5L/1M/1H and Major Resolve. Stamina ones in 1L/5M/1H have 20K+. And that's disregarding BS procs, and most people run that set on both magicka and stamina. Major Fracture is 5.3K. So unless you have other sources of penetration (CP, class passives, set bonuses) you're still left with with 10-15K resistances to overcome. Maul heavy weapons bonus is equivalent to 2-3K penetration minimum since it' 20% of the remaining resistance. Sharpened trait is 2.75K. The more resistance the target has, the better maul will perform.

So you have to choose between sharpened greatsword and nirnhoned maul. Personally I prefer the latter unless I'm using Spriggan since it will give better penetration against most players as I ecplained and nirnhoned also buffs your weapon damage and hence healing. Onslaught is only up for a short time so you will lose more sacrificing penetration for upfront damage.

If I have both Spriggan and easy access to Major Fracture (ex. Stam DK: Noxious Breath) I can even go nirnhoned sword but it will only marginally outperform maul.
    Edited by Asardes on December 31, 2019 10:51PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    In no-cp is 100% better maul and there is no question, the penetration you get is way superior than the sword % damage buff, especially against tanky targets.
    In cp it comes out to preference, you can use cps to slot more physical penetration using piercing, overall I still prefer maul.
    But if you build up purely on a combo hit and run build that rely only on onslaught to kill, maybe is a bit better sword, but yeah.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    GRXRG wrote: »
    In no-cp is 100% better maul and there is no question, the penetration you get is way superior than the sword % damage buff, especially against tanky targets.
    In cp it comes out to preference, you can use cps to slot more physical penetration using piercing, overall I still prefer maul.
    But if you build up purely on a combo hit and run build that rely only on onslaught to kill, maybe is a bit better sword, but yeah.

I think pen is just as good or better in CP pvp. The only difference is you have more ways to boost your damage so it’s not as simplistic, but Nirn Maul is still the best combo.
    Edited by Iskiab on January 1, 2020 1:11AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A maul is always going to be better in pvp whether it’s no cp or cp pvp. I was the one saying that awhile ago and even had one of the eso streamers test it out themselves because they didn’t believe me.

To add, feel like the average pvp player should have at least 8-10k pen without doing anything drastic.

Sword should be used in pve unless you’re a mag user.
    Edited by BaiterOfZergs on January 1, 2020 2:18AM
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.