The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Xbox - want to move from disk-based copy to online copy

nibotron
nibotron
Soul Shriven
Apologies if this question has already been asked and I didn't find it, but i've been playing the game for a long time and i'm fed up of using the original disc every time i play. All the additional content i've bought online, it's just my base game that I bought on disc. On the Microsoft Store online there's the base game (digital download) at a very discounted price. If i buy that will everything just work so that it replaces my original product and I don't have to insert the disc anymore (and can i play my copy on more than one xbox if i log in?) I'm worried that the installation will get confused and not link all the bits of game content to my account correctly - is it a smooth process of just buying the online version, or are there sometimes problems?

I hope this makes sense!
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feel like the only issue is you probably have to uninstall and reinstall. The best way to find out is purchasing it and seeing if your download still works.

You can play it on any Xbox once bought digitally via your profile, other people can play your games too. But if all fails you can just home your profile to a different Xbox allowing everyone who access that Xbox to play your games.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • RABIDxWOLVERINE
    RABIDxWOLVERINE
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend buying a chapter as you will get more content and that upgrade will replace the base game no longer requiring your disc. I had disc for base game and morrowind expansion and after my Xbox ate my game and xbox forgot to return it they gave me a code for the digital copy of morrowind and everything worked seamlessly. Every chapter since has been digital and each upgrade replaced the previous one.
    Rhaegar Gregorson, The Ebonheart Centurion - Imperial Dragonknight
    RABIDxWOLVERINE - Xbox One, NA, Ebonheart Pact

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!
  • KingZeldaMaster
    KingZeldaMaster
    ✭✭✭
    Purchasing the digital copy will not require another installation. It will simply allow you to access the installed game without needing the disc any longer. I made the same decision myself a couple years ago, and I have no regrets.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go to ESO's store page on your console, it'll say its owned but give you the option to buy it again digitally. Though i cant fathom why youre fed up with using your disc. I prefer physical copies since Microsoft reserves the right to revoke your digital licenses at any time without notice. If you own something digitally, you dont REALLY own it.

But yes, if you buy it again digitally, you shouldnt need the disc to launch the game anymore.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • pgorbas_ESO
    pgorbas_ESO
    ✭✭
    nibotron wrote: »
    Apologies if this question has already been asked and I didn't find it, but i've been playing the game for a long time and i'm fed up of using the original disc every time i play. All the additional content i've bought online, it's just my base game that I bought on disc. On the Microsoft Store online there's the base game (digital download) at a very discounted price. If i buy that will everything just work so that it replaces my original product and I don't have to insert the disc anymore (and can i play my copy on more than one xbox if i log in?) I'm worried that the installation will get confused and not link all the bits of game content to my account correctly - is it a smooth process of just buying the online version, or are there sometimes problems?

I hope this makes sense!

It is kind of ridiculous that players who have already bought the game once should have to pay for it again...Customer Service SHOULD just remove that check from the log in process. Or at worse, CS should "flip a flag" for any owner who is needing to use a disc to access an online game they have already paid for.

This makes the parent company "ZeniMax" look really cheap and uncaring about it's customers.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get games pass.

Seriously.

The promotions may not be as good anymore, but when I got it you could convert up to 3 years of gold to gold with games pass for like a dollar. And considering you need gold for ESO (and any other online game) it was a no-brainer deal. It probably still is, even without this promotion. You will not only get ESO without needing the disc anymore, but tons of other games too.
  • nibotron
    nibotron
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for all the replies, very helpful - i wanted to see if anyone else had the same issues. I have been living in two places with two xboxes (working in the city during week, and going back to the countryside at weekends) and i've spend a year having to remember to carry my game disc in case i wanted to play ESO - owning it digitally would just make that much easier.
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Get games pass.

Seriously.

The promotions may not be as good anymore, but when I got it you could convert up to 3 years of gold to gold with games pass for like a dollar. And considering you need gold for ESO (and any other online game) it was a no-brainer deal. It probably still is, even without this promotion. You will not only get ESO without needing the disc anymore, but tons of other games too.

Yeah, it's currently on the Game Pass right now. Obviously if you're not playing any other games, then in the long run you'd pay more for ESO if you got it through Game Pass rather than just buying a digital copy. But if you enjoy some other games as well, definitely get the Game Pass option.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    nibotron wrote: »

I hope this makes sense!

It is kind of ridiculous that players who have already bought the game once should have to pay for it again...Customer Service SHOULD just remove that check from the log in process. Or at worse, CS should "flip a flag" for any owner who is needing to use a disc to access an online game they have already paid for.

This makes the parent company "ZeniMax" look really cheap and uncaring about it's customers.

It's out of ZOS' hands in this case.

The disc/digital rule applies to all games on Xbox One.

If you installed via disc, then you must place the disc in your drive every time you want to play until you buy it digitally.

Long story short: Just buy digital.

As for @ArchMikem going on about Microsoft revoking licenses. He's correct. But I'd like to see him provide evidence that Microsoft is going around doing that randomly on players who have not broken any ToS. All my Xbox games are digital and I'm yet to have Microsoft do this to me.

Also, don't forget that this right to revoke they hold applies to your entire Xbox account as well, not just the games/software on it. Legally, they can just delete you from their service. To my understanding, these rights reservations are in place simply so that when someone causes real trouble, Microsoft has stopped any chance of them taking the matter to the courts.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • nibotron
    nibotron
    Soul Shriven
    Just to let people know - I bought it digitally and had absolutely zero issues - it just worked. Disc is now back in its case.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for @ArchMikem going on about Microsoft revoking licenses. He's correct. But I'd like to see him provide evidence that Microsoft is going around doing that randomly on players who have not broken any ToS. All my Xbox games are digital and I'm yet to have Microsoft do this to me.

Also, don't forget that this right to revoke they hold applies to your entire Xbox account as well, not just the games/software on it. Legally, they can just delete you from their service. To my understanding, these rights reservations are in place simply so that when someone causes real trouble, Microsoft has stopped any chance of them taking the matter to the courts.

I didn't say they've been doing it, I'm just saying they have the power to, and that's still a risk to consider.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donny_Vito wrote: »
    Starlock wrote: »
    Get games pass.

Seriously.

Yeah, it's currently on the Game Pass right now. Obviously if you're not playing any other games, then in the long run you'd pay more for ESO if you got it through Game Pass rather than just buying a digital copy. But if you enjoy some other games as well, definitely get the Game Pass option.

Nah, I don't think you and many others understood how stupidly good the promotions were a while back. It was literally a no-brainer and anybody who didn't jump on the deal either wasn't paying attention or doesn't do any online gaming at all. I contacted customer service on two occasions before buying in because I couldn't believe that the deal was really as good as it was. "What do you mean I can convert 3 years of xbox live gold - which I would be paying for anyway - to games pass ultimate that also gets me a bunch of free (and sometimes brand new) games for one measly stinking dollar?!" Yes, it was real. I suppose if by "paying more" in the long run one considers $1 to be paying more, sure, but it's definitely paying less than buying a digital copy of ESO after already having bought a disc version.

Though in fairness, that no brainer steal of a deal may not be a thing anymore.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

I didn't say they've been doing it, I'm just saying they have the power to, and that's still a risk to consider.

I suppose but then I'd be considering if getting an Xbox in the first place is a good idea, because like I say, Microsoft can technically nuke entire accounts without needing any reason.

Personally, going by the 300+ friends I have on Xbox Live, none of whom have complained about games being revoked, or their friends getting treated as such... I'd say that this "risk" is just short of non-existent in practice, and certainly, if you don't do anything against any ToS, I find it very difficult to see any reason one would need to worry at all.

I've also been gaming with Xbox for a decade at this point.
    Edited by CMDR_Un1k0rn on December 31, 2019 11:15PM
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No