The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

A Full Damage/Glass Cannon Build Doesn't Kill Much

GrumpyDuckling
GrumpyDuckling
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I have been messing around with builds where I invest everything I have into damage, and I am surprised how little extra damage you get from it. Aside from Nightblade bombing, I haven't been able to create any high risk vs. high reward damage builds that are that much more effective at doing damage than a well-rounded build. When I go full damage I am really easy to kill, so it's really risky, but I was surprised by how most of the time it's just simply not worth it. I thought I'd run into my fair share of players where smart game play and positioning would mean that I could capitalize on all of my extra damage, but many players are capable of shrugging off a full barrage of all-out attacks, healing, and countering without a problem.

Now I'm back to what it feels like this game has almost always been -- outlast your opponent until they have a resource problem or make a mistake, then punish them. The only class I haven't tried a glass cannon on yet has been Necromancer, but I imagine I'd run into the same problems. I had what I thought would be an awesome glass cannon Dragonknight build where I used:

2 Balorgh
5 Heem-Jas
5 Spriggans

Unfortunately, even when I lined things up perfectly (buffs/Balorgh/Heem-Jas), the results were pretty underwhelming. Does anyone else ever try going all out? If so, where do you find success?
  • KillsAllElves
    KillsAllElves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Replace heem-crap with new moon acolyte.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Is it really going to be that much better than Major Berserk on a Balorgh?
  • KillsAllElves
    KillsAllElves
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. I also get more damage with out spriggans.
    Deadly strike is no better than heem jas.

And depending on what youre trying to do 2x balorghs is worthless.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yup. I also get more damage with out spriggans.
    Deadly strike is no better than heem jas.

And depending on what youre trying to do 2x balorghs is worthless.

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.
  • KillsAllElves
    KillsAllElves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GrumpyDuckling i sent you a DM
  • nesakinter
    nesakinter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chances are you don't have a truly full damage build. A full damage build does not mean glass cannon necessarily.

Only class that can truly go full damage is stamina nightblade and trust me, a full damage stamblade will destroy any and everything open world

https://youtu.be/TaEEqVO5Wqo

This is an example of a full damage build.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But to OPs point; it does rarely pay off.

Especially in a tanky meta
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    nesakinter wrote: »
    Chances are you don't have a truly full damage build. A full damage build does not mean glass cannon necessarily.

Only class that can truly go full damage is stamina nightblade and trust me, a full damage stamblade will destroy any and everything open world

I've actually tested this build (slightly adjusted) and it does indeed melt even some meta builds (when it's not a very good player running it ofc). Problem is I still felt squishy :<
    EU | PC
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Master_Kas wrote: »

I've actually tested this build (slightly adjusted) and it does indeed melt even some meta builds (when it's not a very good player running it ofc). Problem is I still felt squishy :<

What sets does it use? They don't seem to be mentioned in the video. (I'm fairly certain Spriggan's is one of them.)
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Langeston wrote: »
    Master_Kas wrote: »

What sets does it use? They don't seem to be mentioned in the video. (I'm fairly certain Spriggan's is one of them.)

Mechanical Acuity is one of the sets used.
    Edited by goldenarcher1 on December 31, 2019 2:25PM
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Automaton/spriggins 1pc kena 1veli 5divines
    Is a build I've run for a while yet somehow feels underwhelming quite often
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by susmitds on December 31, 2019 2:42PM
  • Amksed1991
    Amksed1991
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't necessarily blame it on a tanky meta but more along the fact that one person can be a Tank/Damage/Healer in PvP.

The holy Trinity is a little skewed in this game.

That said, I've been having fun with a Flame Destroy Heavy Attack DK.

Knight Slayer
    Elegant
    Flame Staff w/ Oblivion Enchant
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got both builds on my stamDK. med build with sprigs and NMA, bursting 6.5k wep damage and 30k leap.....

....which is "ok" only against the tank meta these days... (update: it does work well against low rank newbie tho. they get one-shot with leap-execute combo)

or Ravager + NMA heavy (i tried Sprig + NMA heavy but its less effective) where I max out 5.2k wep damage, but a whole lot more heals and resistance.

honestly, heavy works better. they kill folks just the same, the only caveat is I gotta manage resource better and slot the poison claw to add pressure. while med glasscannon if i failed on my burst, im dead on the water. i cant even get away.
    Edited by Davadin on December 31, 2019 4:51PM
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Glass canons don’t work primarily because the game’s been designed for them not to work really.

If you’re squishy and try melee you’ll get aoe spammed down. If you’re squishy and try ranged you’ll be using lots of projectiles that will be absorbed or have their damage reduced.

You’re far better off being balanced and using the standard one sustain, damage and tank set and then tweak your other stats and abilities around your playstyle. There are some things which are powerful/optimal so use them, sacrificing impen for divines is an example: you’re not going to get anywhere in divines so you do 5% more damage but take 20% more damage.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »

Ah, thank you. Do you play magblade at all?
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quoted post has been removed for being off topic.

yeah I sort of realised that halfway through writing it, but the same sort of applies, just in PVP you are limited to a slimmer rotation and cant use the stacking 'PVE only' sets. Mostly the same with the key difference being that some metas are just broken in that they pull the same dps wile adding equal dps to other options.

Old 7th legion was a perfect example, and the new Orc racials. One was a heavy armor set that gave 500+ damage and healing with 100% uptime, the other is a race that gets equal to the highest raw damage stats of any stamina focussed race, while also getting free healing racials too. Meanwhile other races get *** like 15% duration reduction on CC that you're always going to interrupt anyway.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on December 31, 2019 8:24PM
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade