The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

A shield is considered armor and uses an armor glyph for enchantment

Lady_Linux
Lady_Linux
✭✭✭✭✭
Yet it is not considered officially as light, medium, or heavy armor for the purposes of light, medium, or heavy armor bonuses
I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too

A shield is considered armor and uses an armor glyph for enchantment 95 votes

a shield should count as heavy armor for the purposes of armor skill bonuses
17%
DarkheartShaloknirHuyenInaMoonlightkamimarkaltunit21RapidUrsaChickenSuckerStarlockiJuacobkaisernickLoneStar2911DragonreduxLady_LinuxL_NiciOptionZeroZama666 17 votes
a shield should be considered medium armor for the purposes of armor skill bonuses
0%
a shield should be considered light armor for the purposes of armor skill bonuses
1%
iLeftyy 1 vote
a shield should get it's own armor bonus skill line since it is armor and belongs to no other armor skill line
11%
daryl.rasmusenb14_ESOTheShadowScoutHluillJJBoomerDBZVelenaYamiKurukumorrowjenCiana_RilianYandereGirlfriendFlowOneLangdon64 11 votes
has no one thought of any of this before?
4%
Bowsernihoumab14_ESOBlkadrTatanko 4 votes
filthy n'wah! go away!
65%
akredon_ESOssewallb14_ESOalanmatillab16_ESOCyberOnEsoDTStormfoxNanfoodleidklion_heart_2000ub17_ESONyghthowlerKeriokoCaffeinatedMayhemWarraxxMerlin13KAGLimrednecksonVevvevlaksikusSanctum74BananaJura23LadyNalcarya 62 votes
  • xWarbrain
    xWarbrain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does get its own armor bonus skill line. 1 hand and Shield...
    XB1 NA
    Your nerf suggestion is dumb. Learn to counter other players instead of having the game rebuilt to your ability level.
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xWarbrain wrote: »

i still think it should count as heavy armor for the armor bonus
    I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the fact it already adds defense in place of a 2nd Hand Weapon and can block more DMG and be used to bash, it would just be overkill or Over-Armor, I guess... It is both Armor and a Weapon so idk how to answer this question but I think you addressed the problem in your poll by giving me too many options to determine whether it should count towards armor bonus.

If it does count, should it be Light, Medium or Heavy?

Idk...
    Options
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    filthy n'wah! go away!
    Okay, enough forums today.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    filthy n'wah! go away!

Very much this. It is part of a weapon line and it's passives. As such it cannot be part of an armor line passive.
    Options
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A question for the philosoraptorclannfear

I98ZxNF.jpg

It’s fine the way it is.
    Edited by max_only on January 4, 2020 12:30AM
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
    Options
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    filthy n'wah! go away!
    Armor amount wise it is closest to medium armor. but i mean, s/b passives exist, while i would love to see it implemented for pve reasons, pvp exists. And people hate the tank meta, i am always for buffs, but i will never press on the wounds of my fellow players just so i can enjoy some buffs for my tanks.

PS. Really? Buffing s/b? What about ice staff?
    Options
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    filthy n'wah! go away!
    Yeah.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not made out of metallic ore, so not heavy armor.

Not made out of tanned hide, so not medium armor.

Not made out of plant fibers, so not light armor.

Conclusion: Should not count toward heavy, medium, nor light armor bonus.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shield should be considered a weapon, se weapon glyphs and having the same glyphs on your one-handed weapon and shield should make them work as one full strength glyph (same for DW, btw).
    Options
  • Sorbin
    Sorbin
    ✭✭✭✭
    filthy n'wah! go away!
    ZOS should seriously nuke these forums and never bring them back.
    Options
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this one's ideal ESO, the weapon skill lines as they are currently would be designed somewhat differently. Instead of one-hand and shield we would have two skill lines - a shield skill line and a one-handed weapon skill line (plus a one-handed spell skill line at some date in the future). These three skill lines could synergize with each other and allow mix-and-match styles that aren't currently supported in the game. The shield skill line would be considered an armor-based skill line more than a weapon-based skill line.

I'll confess I wish it worked this way because a few of my character designs should be wielding one-handed weapons... but without the shield. I can't do that in this game right now, which has always felt a bit annoying.
    Options
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    filthy n'wah! go away!
    A shield get an 'Armor glyph' for utility due to the nature of sword and shield. A shield is not armor, it is a defensive weapon.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
    Options
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    filthy n'wah! go away!

This
    Options
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    filthy n'wah! go away!
    Lady_Linux wrote: »

i still think it should count as heavy armor for the armor bonus

Garbage idea. You want to take the tanky pvp meta and make it even tankier???
    Options
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    filthy n'wah! go away!
    Royaji wrote: »
    Shield should be considered a weapon, so weapon glyphs

Agreed. Remember that the way enchantments proc used to be completely different (and very clunky for off-hand), so it didn't make any sense to have a weapon glyph on shield when the shield itself never did dmg. But then enchantment proc'ing was redesigned, and now DW enchants have equal chance to proc left and right from all sources. There's no longer any good reason to not have a weapon glyph on shields.

Also it's really annoying having your stats flip-flop back and forth from an armor glyph if you aren't double barring shields.
    Options
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    Shield should be considered a weapon, so weapon glyphs

Agreed. Remember that the way enchantments proc used to be completely different (and very clunky for off-hand), so it didn't make any sense to have a weapon glyph on shield when the shield itself never did dmg. But then enchantment proc'ing was redesigned, and now DW enchants have equal chance to proc left and right from all sources. There's no longer any good reason to not have a weapon glyph on shields.

Also it's really annoying having your stats flip-flop back and forth from an armor glyph if you aren't double barring shields.

Well there’s this salient point. So the topic wasn’t a complete waste.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
    Options
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Im fine with how it is now.
    Options
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let the shield be its own thing.
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    In this one's ideal ESO, the weapon skill lines as they are currently would be designed somewhat differently. Instead of one-hand and shield we would have two skill lines - a shield skill line and a one-handed weapon skill line (plus a one-handed spell skill line at some date in the future). These three skill lines could synergize with each other and allow mix-and-match styles that aren't currently supported in the game. The shield skill line would be considered an armor-based skill line more than a weapon-based skill line.

I'll confess I wish it worked this way because a few of my character designs should be wielding one-handed weapons... but without the shield. I can't do that in this game right now, which has always felt a bit annoying.

Someone who SEES

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

it may noit be made of metal or hide or cloth but clearly wood is stronger than hide and not as strong as metal... presumably there is some metal facing on most shields, and decent high end shield would be made of wood and metal combined...

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭

that's a weapon skill line not an armor skill line.... it doesnt get a weapon glyph, it gets an armor glyph, therefor it is armor not a weapon, but yet it doesn't belong to any armor skill line...

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Very much this. It is part of a weapon line and it's passives. As such it cannot be part of an armor line passive.

and yet it gets an armor glyph, not a weapon glyph

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    filthy n'wah! go away!

it may noit be made of metal or hide or cloth but clearly wood is stronger than hide and not as strong as metal... presumably there is some metal facing on most shields, and decent high end shield would be made of wood and metal combined...

Their logic makes the second most sense in this thread. The reasoning that makes the most sense is that the shield is the board part of Sword and Board.

That in itself specifically denotes without question the shield is not only part of that weapon skill line but is a requirement for it. This is a solid and simple fact of the design and logical it should be that way.
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Their logic makes the second most sense in this thread. The reasoning that makes the most sense is that the shield is the board part of Sword and Board.

That in itself specifically denotes without question the shield is not only part of that weapon skill line but is a requirement for it. This is a solid and simple fact of the design and logical it should be that way.

then it should get a weapon glyph not an armor glyph yes??? glad you agree
    Edited by Lady_Linux on January 1, 2020 5:50AM

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    filthy n'wah! go away!

I agree you are grasping at straws with this armor glyph argument.
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorbin wrote: »
    ZOS should seriously nuke these forums and never bring them back.

if you feel that strongly about it, then why are you in the forums?

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What gear setup do want to try that you need a shield to count as a heavy piece?
    Options
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    filthy n'wah! go away!

As stated earlier, a shield gets an armor glyph for utility due to the nature of 'Sword and Shield' and it's skill line (A shield being a defensive weapon, neither armor nor an offensive weapon, but a bit of both)
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
    Options
  • ayu_fever
    ayu_fever
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would like different weights of shields to be incorporated.
    small buckler types to be light.
    targes to be medium.
    towers to be heavy.

of course, the outfit station will still let us look how we want while maintaining function of what equip without losing its utility.

we tanks get an 8th armor slot already in the form of a shield, and you would get the specific armor weight passives from it depending on the weight type of the equipped shield.

i go 7 heavy most of the time but sometimes i use my monster set in 1 light 1 medium for the passives.
    if i had 8 heavy, or even 6 heavy 1 medium 1 light that does open up more stats and passives.

i think it would be fun!
    shouldnt be gamebreaking but who knows.
    pvp ruins everything anyway.
    PS4 NA

all characters are members of the ebonheart pact master race
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT

main character:
    Rebekah Straight-Fire, breton templar healer: THE FATEBRINGER (dungeons, trials, pvp)
    —MERIDIA’S LUSTRANT— 1100+CP; alliance rank 21 (major grade 1); Rebekah is the most devoted and loyal follower of the lady of infinite energies and the highest ascendant of meridia’s purified legion and was forged from meridia’s brilliant radiance of purity.

other meta toons-
    Alexa Straight-Fire, breton warden healer: THE ALCHEMIST (dungeons, trials)
    Sasha Straight-Fire, nord dragonknight tank: THE UNBREAKABLE (dungeons, trials)
    Freyja Straight-Fire, nord warden tank: THE ICEBERG (dungeons, trials)
    Ororo Straight-Fire, dark elf magsorc: THE SHOCKWAVE (dungeons, trials)
    Michonne Straight-Fire, redguard stamDK: THE EVISCERATOR (dungeons, trials)

just for fun toons-
    Rhea Straight-Fire, wood elf warden stam healer: THE RANGER
    Shiva Straight-Fire, high elf warden ice mage: THE CRYOMANCER
    Morgana Straight-Fire, dark elf necromancer solo play: THE DEATHSINGER
    Lucille Straight-Fire, dark elf nightblade solo play: THE VOIDWALKER
    Diana Straight-Fire, nord templar tank: THE CLERIC
    Falsetto Straight-Fire, orc stamsorc werewolf: THE THUNDERHOWL
    Options