The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Furniture - An upcoming storage problem?

wolfie1.0.
wolfie1.0.
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I see a looming crisis approaching, to put it simply each furnishing created or purchased is inevitably stuck in the game. I don’t know about other crafters, but I am hesitant to throw aware items that I have crafted primarily because of the resources lost in doing so. Every time I set up a new home or I do a redesign I am left with piles and piles of furnishings that I don’t know where to put. In some case I can sell it, but most of the time they just don’t sell, and I am stuck. So, what do I do? I purchase a new home and place these items there. Or I store them in a bank or a storage container. Unless sold to an NPC at a high loss, or simply destroyed (a complete loss) these items are just sitting around on the server being moved from location to location with new items being crafted all the time.
Eventually we will reach a point where our capacity to store items reaches a limit. After all we only have so much storage space, and we can only have so many homes. So, what is the solution? What is the plan?
Personally, I would like to be able to deconstruct furniture and be able to get a portion of the materials back. But that’s just me. So, what do you all think?
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being able to deconstruct would be a good option. A number of folks on the Housing forum have asked for a furniture bag in the vein of the crafting bag. I just use that big old Psijic Villa as a warehouse.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Furnishing storage is already a problem. I have 2300 slots in 4 homes (600, 700, 600, 400*) dedicated to furnishing storage. There are members of my guilds with 10+ storage homes.

I will sell crafted furniture "extras" if they are green or blue, and don't require a special style material. Though I certainly understand why not everyone is able to do so.

* not counting the 30 slot chest of stacks > 10
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on October 12, 2019 3:34PM
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Then stop crafting furniture until you know you have a use for it, not like you need to leave the house to make the furniture with the basic crafting stations you can make stuff as you decorate provided you have the mats stockpiled in advance.

Buy a house to use as a warehouse, the cold harbor one is good for that, lots of open space where you put everything in rows without having to search rooms, for where you put stuff.

Eventually your going to have to go through your hoard and make the decision of what your actually going to use and what your keeping just for the sake of it.

Get rid of stuff you can easily replace, hold onto the furniture that is expensive and you can't make yourself.

If it won't or you don't think it will sell on the guild store donate it to one of your trade guilds that holds auctions or uses furniture as part of their raffle prizes.

Or help out your friends who might also be into housing but lack the gold/mats to have the same storage issues that you do.
    Edited by bmnoble on October 12, 2019 10:01PM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SWTOR has the Crafting-Bag style furniture storage BUT basically once it's in there, it's account bound because you can't take it out. Furnishings are a tradeable item until "used" -- meaning added to your furnishing inventory.

In ESO I believe you can recycle your furnishings through trade and sale even after you've placed them, except for those initially bound and various exceptions. So if we get a Crafting Bag style of furniture storage, there might need to be an infrastructure change to accommodate. Or some kind of process that distinguishes what is now Bound and what is not.

• Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I'd like there to be a furniture bag I understand ZOS won't make it happen because that was the point of the housing storage coffers.
    I feel like instead a new storage chest or coffer should be added every zone DLC and Chapter; one large coffer per Chapter one small coffer per zone DLC available via writs/tel var stones as is normal and of course crowns if you really wanna purchase it.

While it's not my favorite solution I acknowledge it would address the crisis. Theoretically right now you can have 360 items stored away; for furniture that'd be a good amount except since the coffers were introduced we've added Summerset, Murkmire, and Elsweyr. That means that we should get 2 more large 60 item storage chests and 1 small 30 item coffer. With Dragonholds release you'd make that another 30 item coffer. Which is still in total another 180 fresh furniture slots.

Since furniture is available from these whether or not they are placed I think I'd be happy with this solution even if it isn't the best possibility (furniture bag). The problem with the coffers is there isn't an easy (outside of addons) way of keeping track what duplicate furniture you have in what coffer, so they can end up taking up unnecessary slots if you don't pay attention to what is going where. I think it'd be nice if we could name the storage devices so we can actually keep them sorted.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »
    Then stop crafting furniture until you know you have a use for it, not like you need to leave the house to make the furniture with the basic crafting stations you can make stuff as you decorate provided you have the mats stockpiled in advance.

Buy a house to use as a warehouse, the cold harbor one is good for that, lots of open space where you put everything in rows without having to search rooms, for where you put stuff.

Eventually your going to have to go through your hoard and make the decision of what your actually going to use and what your keeping just for the sake of it.

Get rid of stuff you can easily replace, hold onto the furniture that is expensive and you can't make yourself.

If it won't or you don't think it will sell on the guild store donate it to one of your trade guilds that holds auctions or uses furniture as part of their raffle prizes.

Or help out your friends who might also be into housing but lack the gold/mats to have the same storage issues that you do.

To address the points you raise that is actually what I currently do I am careful what I craft/buy. And i get rid of stuff that's easily replaced. However, As for trading and selling items well to be quite honest furniture is hard to sell, both in stores and in trade auctions. And really all that does is make storage someone else's problem.

To put things in perspective I saw the same exact furnishing being sold in a guild auction 3x in so many weeks and it was a costly one to craft.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ha, you guys with your first world gaming problems of too much furniture, too many surveys - you really are the 1%!

Meanwhile, I hang onto 16 epic woodworking master writs because I have 1200 Turpen, 100 mastic and 200 rosin.
    Edited by katanagirl1 on October 14, 2019 5:02AM
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guild plays a game every week in one of our BAND chat rooms where the game leader puts up a "recipe" for a piece of furniture and the first one to guess what those items make wins the item. The furniture pieces are donated by guild members for the game. I've donated quite a few pieces I was no longer using for this game. It's a fun game to play and it gives people a way (donating for the game) to "get rid of" unused furniture. Sure, you get nothing back from a donation, but the piece goes to someone else who hopefully will use it. Plus it gets it out of your inventory.

An example of the game is that the leader may ask what item does this set of mats make:

Heartwood (13), Mundane Rune (10), Alchemical Resin (7), Shimmering Sand (2), mastic (3)

The first person to answer "Elsweyr Trunk, Peaked Floral" would win the trunk.
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    Furnishing storage is already a problem. I have 2300 slots in 4 homes (600, 700, 600, 400*) dedicated to furnishing storage. There are members of my guilds with 10+ storage homes.

I will sell crafted furniture "extras" if they are green or blue, and don't require a special style material. Though I certainly understand why not everyone is able to do so.

And I thought I was furniture crazy LOL...I pay 20K for a furniture pattern and then might sell 3 or 4...just a money sink. If people have homes just for furniture storage...I can see why not much sells.

I like the designs...like trying to guess what will sell.

My impression...people aren't buying much now except for mats...any weapon/apparel under 160 has little to no sales history.

WHY? Because the game is promoting "run and slash"...no crafting or other parts of the game...just "run and slash"....make some bucks.

Higher level players have most of what they want/need...newer players just "run and slash"?
    I know nutting....
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm currently trying to sort out all of my stuff in ESO before I go, and I was already ranting about the storage issue before! I had to buy a new house yesterday, as a kind of half way point for furnishings I was trying to move between 7 other storage houses, it is going to take me a couple of weeks to get through everything I think! And those are just the storage houses! Then I have the ones which are all decorated to capacity! Not to mention doing the same on NA! It's ridiculous! Storage for furnishings is absolutely terrible and needs to be addressed one way or another!

Then there are bound furnishings too! I still have no idea what to do about those! But deconstructing furnishings would at least be one way to get something back from them, because nobody wants to just delete them! Furnishings in ESO remind me of plastic bags irl, once they are created they just stay forever, polluting the world :joy: There needs to be a better way to manage them or get rid of them whilst getting something in return for doing so, even if there were a new type of 'furnishing writ' which I have seen suggested before, similar to the charity writ, that would help alleviate us from some of our masses of furnishings somewhat, whilst getting a return on them also!
    Edited by Elara_Northwind on October 29, 2019 9:03PM
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭

I'm currently trying to sort out all of my stuff in ESO before I go, and I was already ranting about the storage issue before! I had to buy a new house yesterday, as a kind of half way point for furnishings I was trying to move between 7 other storage houses, it is going to take me a couple of weeks to get through everything I think! And those are just the storage houses! Then I have the ones which are all decorated to capacity! Not to mention doing the same on NA! It's ridiculous! Storage for furnishings is absolutely terrible and needs to be addressed one way or another!

Then there are bound furnishings too! I still have no idea what to do about those! But deconstructing furnishings would at least be one way to get something back from them, because nobody wants to just delete them! Furnishings in ESO remind me of plastic bags irl, once they are created they just stay forever, polluting the world :joy: There needs to be a better way to manage them or get rid of them whilst getting something in return for doing so, even if there were a new type of 'furnishing writ' which I have seen suggested before, similar to the charity writ, that would help alleviate us from some of our masses of furnishings somewhat, whilst getting a return on them also!

You do realize that you are in a sort of fantasy world...if you mean you are leaving the game...about all you can do is give the stuff away. All you will get is the fun of giving??? Let other players store the imaginary stuff?

My HD failed and I gave away a few million cause I thought it was over for me...bought another computer...now I'm back where I started. Out chasing stuff..making stuff...and trying to sell it. This game is almost like real life...probably pointless in the end...but what's the alternative... It's probably all about just playing the game....you do need to enjoy how you are playing...or what's the point?
    I know nutting....
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Especially when you buy a furniture pack and it just dumps 20+ items into your inventory.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    mrsrobot wrote: »

Especially when you buy a furniture pack and it just dumps 20+ items into your inventory.

If they allowed us to decon the non crown stuff for even part of the resources back I think it would help. Also the reduced furniture stored in houses would help server loads possibly.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As much as I'd like there to be a furniture bag I understand ZOS won't make it happen because that was the point of the housing storage coffers.
    I feel like instead a new storage chest or coffer should be added every zone DLC and Chapter; one large coffer per Chapter one small coffer per zone DLC available via writs/tel var stones as is normal and of course crowns if you really wanna purchase it.

While it's not my favorite solution I acknowledge it would address the crisis. Theoretically right now you can have 360 items stored away; for furniture that'd be a good amount except since the coffers were introduced we've added Summerset, Murkmire, and Elsweyr. That means that we should get 2 more large 60 item storage chests and 1 small 30 item coffer. With Dragonholds release you'd make that another 30 item coffer. Which is still in total another 180 fresh furniture slots.

Since furniture is available from these whether or not they are placed I think I'd be happy with this solution even if it isn't the best possibility (furniture bag). The problem with the coffers is there isn't an easy (outside of addons) way of keeping track what duplicate furniture you have in what coffer, so they can end up taking up unnecessary slots if you don't pay attention to what is going where. I think it'd be nice if we could name the storage devices so we can actually keep them sorted.

Except the point of the house storage containers wasn't just to store furniture. Many players not into housing use them to store gear sets or other things. They weren't specifically designed as a furniture storage solution, though it's great that you can decorate with pieces that are currently in storage, without having to pull them out.

I think a furniture warehouse/storage locker would be great - a larger capacity storage like our bank. Not unlimited, but that can store more that the storage chests. But, even just adding additional storage chests and coffers, as you suggest, would be helpful. As would the ability to decon furniture - but only furniture that can be crafted and that isn't bound (crown store purchased).
  • Daiyanae
    Daiyanae
    ✭✭
    <<I think a furniture warehouse/storage locker would be great>>

Yes! Decon home items and it goes into POD storage. (haha, Bosmer here)

• Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This looming crisis is already an apocalypse. Please send help soon ZOS--I am at 10 furniture storage homes and spiraling.
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    Cireous wrote: »
    This looming crisis is already an apocalypse. Please send help soon ZOS--I am at 10 furniture storage homes and spiraling.

You CAN sell stuff? Why collect and store...something I'm missing? I have some stuff in various places...but I don't make so much I need to look for storage spots. Get a hold on yourself man!!! LOL.
    I know nutting....
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    erliesc wrote: »

You CAN sell stuff? Why collect and store...something I'm missing? I have some stuff in various places...but I don't make so much I need to look for storage spots. Get a hold on yourself man!!! LOL.

1) You cannot sell furnishings bought for Crowns.
    2) People may wish to redecorate, especially if they like to participate in themed contest, in which case it would be both costly and laborious to sell and then recreate or purchase furnishings anew.
    3) It is often nice to have a variety of items accessible when decorating, try out different things, maybe what you thought would work doesn’t or just playing around with different furnishing options you get a new inspiration entirely.
    4) You find a furnishing you really like at a good price but do not yet have a place where it fits.

Undoubtedly there are more reasons I’ve not thought of why one would accumulate so many furnishings and wish to keep them. I’ve only been playing ESO since July but furnishings definitely take up the most space and I’m often juggling items between characters and the bank. I sell plenty of furnishings but seldom at profit, but simply to have space there is no reason to keep anything I can’t see using.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

2) People may wish to redecorate, especially if they like to participate in themed contest, in which case it would be both costly and laborious to sell and then recreate or purchase furnishings anew.
    3) It is often nice to have a variety of items accessible when decorating, try out different things, maybe what you thought would work doesn’t or just playing around with different furnishing options you get a new inspiration entirely.
    4) You find a furnishing you really like at a good price but do not yet have a place where it fits.

Undoubtedly there are more reasons I’ve not thought of why one would accumulate so many furnishings and wish to keep them. I’ve only been playing ESO since July but furnishings definitely take up the most space and I’m often juggling items between characters and the bank. I sell plenty of furnishings but seldom at profit, but simply to have space there is no reason to keep anything I can’t see using.

Pretty much this. There are furniture items that you can only get from events, luxury vendor, or achievement vendors that you cant sell. Also, selling furniture is usually at a loss and can take time. And all that really does is make storing said piece of furniture someone else's storage problem.

It doesn't solve the issue of once its spawned or created it doesn't get removed from the server until its npced or just destroyed.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty much this. There are furniture items that you can only get from events, luxury vendor, or achievement vendors that you cant sell. Also, selling furniture is usually at a loss and can take time. And all that really does is make storing said piece of furniture someone else's storage problem.

It doesn't solve the issue of once its spawned or created it doesn't get removed from the server until its npced or just destroyed.

Totally agreed on the main points but wanted to point out that you can resell furnishings bought from the luxury vendor and these are probably some of the few furnishings you can flip for a profit because they are only available a few times (or even once?) each year. I just bought 20 Wyrdblooms from a trader because I love them and I was too poor to buy many while they were at the luxury vendor — that’s 38% profit for the seller after fees, assuming they didn’t have to relist. 👍