The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Make radiant apex mounts buyable

akdave0
akdave0
✭✭✭✭
Rather than have me gamble several hundred dollars on purchasing crates, allow me to either buy it with gems or crowns. The radiant mounts only drop on the 5th bonus card, which occurs only 2/3 times per 15 crates. Only after all other available mounts have been collected. This seems like a formula for failure. Set a price for these mounts, even if it is 21,000 crowns, at least then I know I’m getting the mount I want.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The entire point of extremely rare, gamble-only radiant apex mounts is to get people to buy tons of crates, usually more than if they could just buy the mount for crowns or gems.

It sucks for players, but that's a feature, not a bug.
  • akdave0
    akdave0
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get it, just charge the amount of the value set. I have no problem paying, my problems stem from spending a ton of money and not getting one.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    akdave0 wrote: »
    I get it, just charge the amount of the value set. I have no problem paying, my problems stem from spending a ton of money and not getting one.

Again, that's the feature, not a bug. Players have to buy an unknown amount of crates to get one - often more if they want a specific one. Its entirely designed to make you spend lots of money for uncertain return.

Sure, ZOS could make the radiant apex category more user friendly by capping the amount you have to spend...but that's not the point of having a radiant apex category. Those are literally intended to milk players for their money.
  • akdave0
    akdave0
    ✭✭✭✭
    Look man I am completely familiar, I own 15 radiant mounts. Just trying to get the playing field leveled for those who don’t have the same disposable income I have.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look man I am completely familiar, I own 15 radiant mounts. Just trying to get the playing field leveled for those who don’t have the same disposable income I have.

A laudable endeavor.
    I'd like ZOS to drop Crown Crates entirely and sell everything in them for a set amount of crowns instead.

Unfortunately, neither of us is going to get what we want because it's not as profitable.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

People who don't have the same disposable income as us, aren't going to own the same amount of disposable items as us. That is just the way it is. If a neighbor who owned 5 Ferarri's went to Ferrari and said "Hey, I know these cost $180k, but could you guys start selling them for $30k so my neighbor can also own them please?" you think Ferrari will jump on it right away?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The entire point of extremely rare, gamble-only radiant apex mounts is to get people to buy tons of crates, usually more than if they could just buy the mount for crowns or gems.

It sucks for players, but that's a feature, not a bug.

This. Very much this. Those that buy the crates are supporting the current design. Complaining about t afterward is pointless as the feedback that speaks loudest has already been heard.
  • akdave0
    akdave0
    ✭✭✭✭

People who don't have the same disposable income as us, aren't going to own the same amount of disposable items as us. That is just the way it is. If a neighbor who owned 5 Ferarri's went to Ferrari and said "Hey, I know these cost $180k, but could you guys start selling them for $30k so my neighbor can also own them please?" you think Ferrari will jump on it right away?

Apples to oranges because of the randomness. You don’t go to a car lot and throw down 30k and get a Ferrari, nor do pay 180k and get a Ford Focus. The lottery of it is where the annoyance derives. Nevertheless, I get your point. If the price was set for equal the value, those whom could afford it would buy it, those whom want to afford but can’t, would strive to obtain it, or be alright with not having it, yes?

• AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If everyone STOPPED buying into the crate crap, then they WOULD go back to selling direct. You people buying crates are what's stopping that happening. Every crate bought is telling them that this predatory business plan is working - for them.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • akdave0
    akdave0
    ✭✭✭✭
    Addressing the problem, not ignoring them makes them change. Civil disobedience only is effective when everyone is involved. Simply stopping buying them makes for an even more evil marketing plan.
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    . Only after all other available mounts have been collected. This seems like a formula for failure.

This is not true, they will also drop if you dont have every other mount. i used to buy 15 crates once they came out and guess what, without getting any other mount i was lucky enough to grab a radiant apex mount in the past.

I would also prefer that you could buy evrything with crown or gems but lets face it, its the usp of those crates and zos would be stupid to get rid of the usp...
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • akdave0
    akdave0
    ✭✭✭✭
    sudaki_eso wrote: »
    . Only after all other available mounts have been collected. This seems like a formula for failure.

This is not true, they will also drop if you dont have every other mount. i used to buy 15 crates once they came out and guess what, without getting any other mount i was lucky enough to grab a radiant apex mount in the past.

I would also prefer that you could buy evrything with crown or gems but lets face it, its the usp of those crates and zos would be stupid to get rid of the usp...

I was speaking from my experience, since I don’t know the exact formula I could only hypothesize. You May have experienced an exception in the rng.

My request is simply to make this better for everyone, boycotts and ignoring the crown store in protest does not promote transparent business or consumer confidence.

There is no reason why the community can’t negotiate fair business practices or removing some of the uncertainty of obtaining the radiant mounts.

• TheTwistedRune
    TheTwistedRune
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather than have me gamble several hundred dollars on purchasing crates, allow me to either buy it with gems or crowns. The radiant mounts only drop on the 5th bonus card, which occurs only 2/3 times per 15 crates. Only after all other available mounts have been collected. This seems like a formula for failure. Set a price for these mounts, even if it is 21,000 crowns, at least then I know I’m getting the mount I want.

Unless somebody can prove that ZOS will make more money with your suggestion its NEVER going to happen. Why would a business do anything to damage it's profits? Exclusivity is a powerful selling tool, if people could just buy them, it would loose much of that.

That's my feeling on it anyway.

• karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AlienSlof wrote: »
    If everyone STOPPED buying into the crate crap, then they WOULD go back to selling direct. You people buying crates are what's stopping that happening. Every crate bought is telling them that this predatory business plan is working - for them.

...or they'd go back to a more aggressive subscription model

...or they'd layoff a substantial portion of the team and go to "support only" mode.

just because you don't like it, doesn't mean they should stop doing it. you're not being forced to pay - instead of complaining about that fact, you should appreciate it. And guess what - the reason you don't have to pay is because of the crown store, and specifically, the crown crates, which i imagine are the biggest money generators of the crown store.
    Edited by karthrag_inak on December 11, 2019 3:46PM
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh, I’d rather have the costumes and emotes buyable for Crowns. Glowing eyes can be cool, but not on everything and I always point to the Peryite mounts with luminescent plague drool when telling people why I have no interest in Crown Crate mounts.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many crates, roughly, does it take to get a Radiant Apex mount?
    We don't actually know because ZOA doesn't have to release the official odds.

However, we can say that:
    15 Crate packs cost 5000 crowns.
    So if the average amount to get the radiant Apex mount you want is more than 62 crates, we can guess that ZOS would lose money on the OP's suggestion to charge 21,000 crowns.

Unfortunately, we're somewhat hamstrung by ZOS not releasing the official odds, but the math on the recent crates recorded by players is something like:
    New Moon: 48/17, 814 crates
    Baandari: 31 Apex mounts /17,218 crates
    Dragonscale: 40/14,858 crates
    Xanmeer: 17/9,541 crates

Part of the appeal of gambling is that you might be that lucky player who gets a Radiant Apex mount with one, two, or 15 crates.
    But based on the last 4 crown crate seasons, the drop rate for a radiant apex, ANY radiant apex, is more like 1 in every 435 crates, an expected value of approx 145,000 crowns spent per radiant apex, assuming I've done my math right. Even then, there's no guarantee that you'll get one at all even in 435 crates.

So, um, yeah...
    That's the joy of gambling right there.
    Its also why ZOS won't be setting a price tag on those Radiant Apex Mounts anytime soon.
    Edited by VaranisArano on December 11, 2019 7:55PM
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So You're the whale radiant mounts are created for. These mounts only exist to milk the money from people like You. By owning 15 radiant apex mounts You actually encourage ZoS to keep it the way it is. Your words on forum means nothing. You can ask for "leveled playingfield" as much as You want but until You'll be spending lots of money on crown crates just to get radiant apex mount ZoS will never change the way those mounts are obtained. Your wallet not forum is where Your voice is coming from
    Edited by Juhasow on December 12, 2019 7:45AM
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Apples to oranges because of the randomness. You don’t go to a car lot and throw down 30k and get a Ferrari, nor do pay 180k and get a Ford Focus. The lottery of it is where the annoyance derives. Nevertheless, I get your point. If the price was set for equal the value, those whom could afford it would buy it, those whom want to afford but can’t, would strive to obtain it, or be alright with not having it, yes?

If ZOS looked at the highest potential amount that a player could possibly spend before loot an Apex mount, then used that as the set price for the mount to buy it directly, then sure I would be ok with that. It would probably be somewhere around like 1000 gems or something. That would be fine. But point of getting it as loot is that some people might only spend like $20 bucks on crates and get the mount which would be a good deal for the consumer, but not as good for ZOS.

Conversely, some people may end up spending $500 or more on crates before looting one, which might be not ideal for the consumer, but ideal for ZOS. So it constantly bounces between both ends of the spectrum. But if it is sold outright, then it 100% has to benefit ZOS, which means the cost is going to be out of reach for most players.

Which, as a whale who enjoys exclusive items, would be fine for me....you know being one of only a handful of people running around the server with said item or mount is always fun. But I don't think people actually realize what they are asking....the way it is right now, those items are accessible to a broader range of players. Having a set price will only make it available to us whales because ZOS will need to price it accordingly to make up for the loss revenue of crate sales. They would just have to, no ways around it.
  • ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is a great idea.

The argument above I disagree with tremendously. ZOS won't need to rely on just "whales" and the small transactions from players, many people sit out on these because they don't want to gamble with no end in sight. If they set them to say 1k Gems, that would be fair (and damn expensive too, most likely hundreds).

However, if someone really wants one in particular -- at least they will have a guaranteed path to get there.

ZOS is losing out on a lot of business. I buy crates, but they'd sell so many more if they added Radiant Apex mounts to the list of things to buy with Gems. They are starting to become highly repetitive tbh and soon we'll see tons of "other mounts" in all different skins that are similar to ones that exist on other mounts. RInse and repeat. ZOS, time to step your game up!
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think this is a great idea.

The argument above I disagree with tremendously. ZOS won't need to rely on just "whales" and the small transactions from players, many people sit out on these because they don't want to gamble with no end in sight. If they set them to say 1k Gems, that would be fair (and damn expensive too, most likely hundreds).

However, if someone really wants one in particular -- at least they will have a guaranteed path to get there.

ZOS is losing out on a lot of business. I buy crates, but they'd sell so many more if they added Radiant Apex mounts to the list of things to buy with Gems. They are starting to become highly repetitive tbh and soon we'll see tons of "other mounts" in all different skins that are similar to ones that exist on other mounts. RInse and repeat. ZOS, time to step your game up!

How do you know that ZOS is losing out on business? Do you know how much money us whales pay for stuff? I am on the lowest end of the whale spectrum, and I probably covered the costs of 20+ people alone. 100 people spending $20 bucks is not worth as much as one or two people spending $4,000+ each.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm usually not too interested in the mounts (which I'm reconsidering thanks to the incredible new frost mounts), so the lack of radiant apex is usually nothing to me.

But I have to admit - that Daedra-skull wolf from the Hollowjack crates was awesome, and I really wanted to get it... :'(

I dislike lootbox mechanics, but as long as there is a way to get the items, I can deal. For 95% of the crates, I can deal. I'll grumble, but I still have the option of spending gems to get what I want. And that's why I was very annoyed about the Daedra wolf - there was no way to get it outside of being blessed by RNGsus.

I also am a bit put off by there being several options - even if we look at the normal apex mounts - and the chance of getting the wrong one. With the Flame Atronach crates, I liked the horse, wolf, senche, and even the bear. I got the camel. :| Ditto with the New Moons... I can't imagine hoping for one of the radiants, then getting lucke enough to get one and it turns out to be the one I think is ugly.
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, they'd just put more and more things people have requested in there, with some of the better reskins/retextures, until people cave and go back to buying. It's too profitable to give up. Especially when they know they'll win out in the end.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hanokihs wrote: »

No, they'd just put more and more things people have requested in there, with some of the better reskins/retextures, until people cave and go back to buying. It's too profitable to give up. Especially when they know they'll win out in the end.

No, @AlienSlof is right. I don’t buy crates at all with any currency and when I do sell Crowns, I won’t do so for Crates (what others do with their money is not my business but I won’t support these at all). I have bought RNG crates in other games, but only when I can sell items I don’t want. I will never buy them so long as that is not the case. It can make me frustrated as there have been things I would have really liked to have bought directly, but there are also plenty of items (especially the skins and Peryite mounts) that I wouldn’t use if they were free.

I’ve just had to accept that enough people will buy some number of crates that making additional ways to obtain these items is either just not worth it to ZOS or could potentially reduce their total profits. It has made me quite frustrated at times and even a bit insulted that even as a subscriber the only way to get many cool items is through this stupid system. But I still love ESO so I try to ignore all that stuff and focus on the things that I can obtain in game, such as the Indriks, which I happen to really like, and working on collecting various motifs, achievement furnishings, etc.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on December 17, 2019 9:22PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread will do none of this. Those who purchase crown crates are the ones who are dictating to Zos that the crates related gems are a great idea. That speaks much louder than this thread could even pretend to do.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its simple.
    Buy 700 Crates

That is 2500$

And you will get an Radiant Apex

If you buy less then 700 crates dont bother thinking you will get one.
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here is a Link

How to lose your money and mind with crates trying to get RAdiant Apex...

[url="http://"][/url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxXhbJtEpyk&t=1422s[url="http://"][/url]
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, @AlienSlof is right. I don’t buy crates at all with any currency and when I do sell Crowns, I won’t do so for Crates (what others do with their money is not my business but I won’t support these at all). I have bought RNG crates in other games, but only when I can sell items I don’t want. I will never buy them so long as that is not the case. It can make me frustrated as there have been things I would have really liked to have bought directly, but there are also plenty of items (especially the skins and Peryite mounts) that I wouldn’t use if they were free.

I’ve just had to accept that enough people will buy some number of crates that making additional ways to obtain these items is either just not worth it to ZOS or could potentially reduce their total profits. It has made me quite frustrated at times and even a bit insulted that even as a subscriber the only way to get many cool items is through this stupid system. But I still love ESO so I try to ignore all that stuff and focus on the things that I can obtain in game, such as the Indriks, which I happen to really like, and working on collecting various motifs, achievement furnishings, etc.

No, he's wrong. This notion that if everyone stopped buying crates Zos would sell everything directly is just false. They would do what so many others have done and become more aggressive and restrictive. Instead of what we have now, EVERYTHING would be in crates. How can you guys not see this?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sevn wrote: »

No, he's wrong. This notion that if everyone stopped buying crates Zos would sell everything directly is just false. They would do what so many others have done and become more aggressive and restrictive. Instead of what we have now, EVERYTHING would be in crates. How can you guys not see this?

If no one bought crates, no matter what was or was not in them, then ZOS would surely try other methods such as selling more things directly, probably more frequent limited time sales for different options — that’s been shown to be an effective tactic too, has it not? We can only assume that it is less profitable than Crown crates with how many buy them. If everything was in Crates, I would still not buy them. If they went so far as to take away things currently in the game and restrict them to crates, I would stop playing. The more I feel like I am being pressured / manipulated into doing something, the more set against it I become.

But this is all purely academic. Lots of people buy Crown crates and I see no reason to expect that to change.

And I think that is really your argument, no? People not buying crates wouldn’t work because they would easily cave and buy them, or something like that. Well, I can’t argue that since I don’t think people will stop buying them in the first place so... 🤷🏻‍♀️ But IF people stopped buying crates and were stubborn about it, then yes of course ZOS would try another tactic — why wouldn’t they?
    Edited by Araneae6537 on December 18, 2019 4:14PM
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If no one bought crates, no matter what was or was not in them, then ZOS would surely try other methods such as selling more things directly, probably more frequent limited tome sales for different options — that’s been shown to be an effective tactic too, has it not? We can only assume that it is less profitable than Crown crates with how many buy them. If everything was in Crates, I would still not buy them. If they went so far as to take away things currently in the game and restrict them to crates, I would stop playing. The more I feel like I am being pressured / manipulated into doing something, the more set against it I become.

But this is all purely academic. Lots of people buy Crown crates and I see no reason to expect that to change.

And I think that is really your argument, no? People not buying crates wouldn’t work because they would easily cave and buy them, or something like that. Well, I can’t argue that since I don’t think people will stop buying them in the first place so... 🤷🏻‍♀️ But IF people stopped buying crates and were stubborn about it, then yes of course ZOS would try another tactic — why wouldn’t they?

Nah. That's not how businesses work, least of all game businesses, and MMO businesses fewer still.

If every single person stopped all at once, and I'm taking not a single crate sold, ZoS wouldn't say "Oh, maybe we should change tactics, since people hate these." They'll say, "Oh, maybe we're not putting enough fancy/exclusive stuff in there to make people buy them." Or their directors/investors will say, "This project isn't making much money anymore, maybe it's time to just pull the plug then, if you can't sell something people want to buy."

I mean, you're right that people aren't gonna stop in the first place. But if they DID, the outcome wouldn't be in any way positive.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If no one bought crates, no matter what was or was not in them, then ZOS would surely try other methods such as selling more things directly, probably more frequent limited tome sales for different options — that’s been shown to be an effective tactic too, has it not? We can only assume that it is less profitable than Crown crates with how many buy them. If everything was in Crates, I would still not buy them. If they went so far as to take away things currently in the game and restrict them to crates, I would stop playing. The more I feel like I am being pressured / manipulated into doing something, the more set against it I become.

Nah. That's not how businesses work, least of all game businesses, and MMO businesses fewer still.

If every single person stopped all at once, and I'm taking not a single crate sold, ZoS wouldn't say "Oh, maybe we should change tactics, since people hate these." They'll say, "Oh, maybe we're not putting enough fancy/exclusive stuff in there to make people buy them." Or their directors/investors will say, "This project isn't making much money anymore, maybe it's time to just pull the plug then, if you can't sell something people want to buy."

I mean, you're right that people aren't gonna stop in the first place. But if they DID, the outcome wouldn't be in any way positive.

This. I've worked in sales long enough to expect this to be the outcome.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway