Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is anyone have problems in houses of items turning sideways when you place items?

Somber97866
Somber97866
✭✭✭✭✭
Just curious if I'm the only one?
  • MercilessnVexed
    MercilessnVexed
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not yet and I hope I don't get it.
    Edited by MercilessnVexed on November 21, 2019 11:42PM
  • TwIsTeDReDQuEeN
    TwIsTeDReDQuEeN
    ✭✭✭
    Yes in all my homes, especially at Moonsugar Meadow. :/@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom wondering if this is system wide or just a few folks/Homes?
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi,
    This problem happens when you try to rotate an item exactly 90 or 180 degrees. See video below.
    I remember the Skyrim creation kit was the same. For some reason it just doesn't like absolutely perfect rotations in some situations.
    When this happens, I offset my rotation by a tiny amount.
    If you have EHT you can use the positioning option to offset it by 1 degree. This won't be noticeable to the eye but should stop the item turning when you place them.
    P.S. you'll note from the time of this video that this bug has been around a long time. It has been flagged to ZOS before but alas....🙄
    https://youtu.be/Co6NmHFbKsI
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I noticed this when trying to place the target dummy we got from Dragonrise and some of my pets. I'd place them, and they'd snap around once I let go. Only started happening a couple weeks ago. (for me anyway - or at least that I noticed)
    Edited by anadandy on November 21, 2019 2:28PM
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm having this issue too! It only seems to be object with animations - assistants, mounts, target dummies, even the timid vine tongue furnishing. Frustrating as I'm working on a large Christmas build.
  • sueblue
    sueblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Weird! This happens to me sometimes when I right+click to try and align things but never just randomly.
    Awake/Asleep, I dream.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just noticed this today. Wasn't happening only after turning something at 90/180 degree angles either. Not matter what I do, all animated collectables are snapping to whatever direction they want.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES. This has only been happening t me with my mounts, pets, assistants, etc. For me, anyway.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    sueblue wrote: »
    Weird! This happens to me sometimes when I right+click to try and align things but never just randomly.

It's not random, very consistent. When you pull a merchant out they're facing you. Even if I rotate them 180* before setting them on the ground, still flip around to face me.
  • Jawshoeuh
    Jawshoeuh
    ✭✭✭
    This has been happening to me as well! PS4 NA here!
  • Somber97866
    Somber97866
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't work for exact rotational degrees. It's with any degree!
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup also have this problem with pets, mounts, etc on Ps4 NA. Definitely not a thing of rotating it to specific angles because it happens any way I place them.
  • Somber97866
    Somber97866
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the same thing I'm having happen
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all! Just wanted to confirm we're seeing these reports and working on a fix.
    Staff Post
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not turning sideways after being placed (as per the video), but they are rotating before I place, wherever I'm standing and wherever I grab the furnishing.

Normally, that only happens if you're standing too close and/or grab the furnishing in the wrong place.
    Edited by Tigerseye on November 27, 2019 1:15AM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, I saw this today when I tried to move the Precursor. He will now only face 90 degrees from the direction I tried to place him, and is not usable as a test dummy anymore because his outline is yellow instead of green. I tried turning off the surface drag and back on, but no help. I think he rotated in a clockwise direction if that is important.

Note: I don’t actually plan to use him for dps testing, I just made these observations
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, me too. Mainly with pets, mounts and banker/merchant.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for confirmation @ZOS_SarahHecker !
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, it seems to be the pets/mounts/assistants - at least they're the only ones I started having issues with, and this started with the Dragonhold update for me.

I did find a workaround that I read in some post here on the forums. If you're in third person while decorating, have your character face the direction that you want the assistant/pet/mount to face. Then, place them and they'll be facing exactly as your character is. This worked for me with the assistants, but I haven't tried it with pets or mounts.
  • Pink_E_808
    Pink_E_808
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also have a workaround, courtesy of a guildmate from my housing guild. Link your assistant/pet/mount as a child to another piece of furniture. Move the parent item until your child item is in place, then unlink. It's worked for me every time I've tried it so far.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    Yes, it seems to be the pets/mounts/assistants - at least they're the only ones I started having issues with, and this started with the Dragonhold update for me.

I did find a workaround that I read in some post here on the forums. If you're in third person while decorating, have your character face the direction that you want the assistant/pet/mount to face. Then, place them and they'll be facing exactly as your character is. This worked for me with the assistants, but I haven't tried it with pets or mounts.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely try that
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pink_E_808 wrote: »
    I also have a workaround, courtesy of a guildmate from my housing guild. Link your assistant/pet/mount as a child to another piece of furniture. Move the parent item until your child item is in place, then unlink. It's worked for me every time I've tried it so far.

This is some galaxy brain stuff. I'll have to try this!
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also if you try to use a single plank for a railing. One side getting turned around will utterly reset it to the original state.
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

OK, this does not work for the Precursor. He only faces one direction now, the same orientation he had before I moved him.

It doesn’t matter which way my character is facing when I place him, he rotates back around to his previous setting. It’s not just exactly 90 degrees or whatever. I can move him to a different location - translation is working but not rotation.

I’ll hold off on the complicated setups in favor of a proper fix for now.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Galen
    Galen
    ✭✭✭

This! I accidentally discovered this on my own (my Nuzhi was linked to a parent podium) and it works wonders for this bug!

I now usually just plop one of those free statuettes at their feet and link them up to that. Once you set their orientation via the parent item, you can unlink and move the assistant/critter directly if preferred and they will stay facing how you set them while linked (or at least they do for me on XB1).
    PC - 2013-2016
    Xbox One - 2017-2021
    Xbox Series X - 2021-present
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

OK, this does not work for the Precursor. He only faces one direction now, the same orientation he had before I moved him.

It doesn’t matter which way my character is facing when I place him, he rotates back around to his previous setting. It’s not just exactly 90 degrees or whatever. I can move him to a different location - translation is working but not rotation.

I’ll hold off on the complicated setups in favor of a proper fix for now.

As I said, I only tried it with the assistants. However, I've found that I have to put the assistant away first, I can't just face the right direction and then move them to face the same. I have to get in the right position and then place them from storage.

And you're right - I'd rather have a fix, but I'm impatient and I found this workaround to work in the case of assistants.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on December 9, 2019 8:18PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Galen wrote: »

This! I accidentally discovered this on my own (my Nuzhi was linked to a parent podium) and it works wonders for this bug!

I now usually just plop one of those free statuettes at their feet and link them up to that. Once you set their orientation via the parent item, you can unlink and move the assistant/critter directly if preferred and they will stay facing how you set them while linked (or at least they do for me on XB1).

This seems like a better workaround over all. I'm going to try this!
  • GChaseXmas
    GChaseXmas
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @ZOS_SarahHecker for the confirmation. Since it's been a while do you have updates or any idea of when this bug will be patched?

Now I don't know about everyone else I know this just started happening to me and some of the guildies I build homes with on X1-NA when the last DLC patch dropped and is continuing to be a bug. Hopefully this is something that can be patched when the New Life Festival begins.
  • GChaseXmas
    GChaseXmas
    ✭✭✭

Any luck @Jayne_Doe ?
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    GChaseXmas wrote: »

Any luck @Jayne_Doe ?

@GChaseXmas I haven't tried it yet. But, I did discover that this was fixed on PC with the last patch. I was decorating a home on PC this weekend, and found that I could place the assistants exactly how I wanted them! The patch note for this basically said that items placed via gamepad mode will now be placed in the correct orientation. I see we're getting a patch on Wednesday, so hopefully it will be fixed on console as well.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on December 16, 2019 5:19PM