The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Motif Standardization

notyuu
notyuu
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
It's simple, tweak the motifs so that they dye consistently, I mean..come on, if I dye everything the same across all the styles, it comes out like this
nN8fj35.png
which is far from the worst offender, but noticeable enough on the legs/hood/mask/boots

fwvbXdQ.png
this is what it looks like after I dye the legs and hood red, the boots thalmor black and the pants ash black...much more agreeable...but w/e

So Zos, could ya tweak the dyes to at least be..consistent across the motifs...please?

and yes I know, you swore never to touch motif's after release due to the whole redguard issue waaay back, but this is just a simple colour job to save a fair few people a mind-numbing headache
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Due color depends on material. Obviously material is different so color is different too. So what you propose is to dumb down motifs, so they will have smaller variety of materials..
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good or bad, each dye looks different on each piece, each material and to an extent, on each motif. Metals on cloth are going to take color differently and cloth on metals will be different too.

The aggregate of this is it is easy to make your character look different than another one, even if they share motifs or even outfits.

Lower level materials that you can use in the outfit system do in some cases, dye more consistently. Try those out. But i will say a monochromatic character may not be what you want.

Also, i have taken to hitting randomize and finding entirely new color combos i never thought of before.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Due color depends on material. Obviously material is different so color is different too. So what you propose is to dumb down motifs, so they will have smaller variety of materials..

Does it? I understand that different materials look different. But black metal should be the same colour as black material, you shouldn’t have the situation we have now where black shoes look purple and black breeches look orange. That’s the whole point of a dye , it’s not that ‘it adds 50% red to the existing colour’, it should ‘replace the existing colour with 50% red while also maintains the material’s qualities’.

The issue here is that ZOS’s implementation of dyes is very poor. Certainly on older motifs. If I were a cruel man I would suggest that ZOS could make a fortune by developing some really stylish motifs that both look great and dye well and selling them for huge sums on the Crown Store as Gem Exclusives. But I’m not, so I’d suggest they do this anyway with all new motifs and costumes.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »

Does it? I understand that different materials look different. But black metal should be the same colour as black material, you shouldn’t have the situation we have now where black shoes look purple and black breeches look orange. That’s the whole point of a dye , it’s not that ‘it adds 50% red to the existing colour’, it should ‘replace the existing colour with 50% red while also maintains the material’s qualities’.

The issue here is that ZOS’s implementation of dyes is very poor. Certainly on older motifs. If I were a cruel man I would suggest that ZOS could make a fortune by developing some really stylish motifs that both look great and dye well and selling them for huge sums on the Crown Store as Gem Exclusives. But I’m not, so I’d suggest they do this anyway with all new motifs and costumes.

Well, thing is that color shown on dye selection often is very far from it's actual color. Overall, to pickup most interesting and fitting color theme - it's good to do what Nestor suggests - to use random dye function. After random will pickup base colors you like, you can then make few adjustment and receive solid and unique outfit.
    Older motifs have compatibility problems with new ones... very often they have worse texture detail/resolution.