Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Comprehensive [ Penetration Calculator ]

TheYKcid
TheYKcid
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
While the equations for calculating the effect of penetration are easily accessible, the process is very tedious, and I've often found myself wasting time doing so manually. So I decided to put-together this calculator, to provide a quick and convenient way to simulate the effect of adding penetration into a build. Happy theorycrafting!

Link to calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uWYAk6ljkvUhYbv8NuT957l-gPbT0aspOdhJ6iisRC8/edit?usp=sharing
Note: the sheet is read-only. Copy to your own Google drive or download it in order to edit.

1. Getting started
Input your parameters in the yellow boxes, starting with the section in the top half of the sheet. The calculator will tally-up all your penetration sources, then output results in the adjacent green boxes. You should get something like this:
YV79VyP.png

2. Understanding Target Mitigation Coefficient (TMC)
TMC is really just a term I made up to facilitate easier calculations—it simply represents the proportion of incoming damage that one receives, after armor reductions have been applied. So, taking reference from the above example, say you hit the target with a 10k Dawnbreaker—they would only lose 8230 HP because their armor protected them. This will come in handy subsequently.

3. Calculating actual DPS gained from an increase in penetration
In the following example, I simulate the effect of debuffing a heavy armor target with Major Fracture/Breach (with no other penetration besides 35 points into the relevant CP star). First, record the initial TMC value, and then once again after adding the additional source of penetration, as such:

d86whVA.png?1

Next, plug these before-and-after TMC values into the second calculator in the sheet, and receive an answer for how much extra DPS the additional penetration has given you!

MpSdjrT.png

4. Disclaimers
  • Always account for opportunity cost when comparing two builds. For example, when replacing Hunding's > NMG, you gain Major Fracture, but lose 1096 stam + 170 WepDmg. This calculator can only simulate the DPS gain from Fracture, but not the DPS loss from reduced stats (I highly recommend the UESP Skill Browser for that)
  • Penetration may perform very differently in a real scenario due to numerous drawbacks (doesn't work on shields, wasted against over-penetrated targets, etc.)
  • When simulating a player target, the calculator is only valid for CP160+ players
  • The % DPS increase from additional penetration starts to plateau as your targets armor gets lower, so it's advisable not to stack too much penetration
    Graph of diminishing returns:
    fbDVznW.png

5. Sources/credits
@Asayre's brilliant Sorcerer arithmagic article on Tamriel Foundry
@Masel92's in-depth post on mace/maul performance
@Woeler's article on the Crusher enchant and its modifiers, from his website
Edited by TheYKcid on July 23, 2018 11:45AM
PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very useful and a fast way to help a lot of people who don't have access to internal guild sheets already being used. Thanks. :smile:
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Really handy, thank you :)
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    now just make it into an addon so I dont have to alt-tab xD
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems very nice

Im just here to say i love the title
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kikkehs wrote: »

Would love to if I had the technical know-how, but Excel is the extent of my abilities unfortunately...
    Morgul667 wrote: »
    Seems very nice

I had... several titles in mind, but I didn't want the thread locked.
    Edited by TheYKcid on July 20, 2018 11:11AM
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TheYKcid wrote: »
    kikkehs wrote: »

Would love to if I had the technical know-how, but Excel is the extent of my abilities unfortunately...
    Morgul667 wrote: »
    Seems very nice

I had... several titles in mind, but I didn't want the thread locked.

I propose changing it to: "Determine your Penetration with or without Lover".
  • WAMB0
    WAMB0
    ✭✭✭
    Someone linked me this calculator a few days ago, and I didn't see the date this was posted...

If the author is still around, I suggest integrating a change that happened with ...ehm... a recent patch:

The base penetration of 100 got removed.

It's a very simple change in the formula for "Total Penetration", just remove the +100

I'm posting here bc I made like a whole table to compare setups (incl CP) with the calculator, only to notice after raiding that I was 2 CPs off :-/
    Changing it in the original doc might save other ppl form similar fate.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @WAMB0 Thanks for pointing that out!

I distinctly remembered making the edit when Murkmire went live—but turns out I only did it for my personal copy of the sheet, lol. The public version has been updated now.
  • WAMB0
    WAMB0
    ✭✭✭
    You probably might want to add the necromancer passive.
    1500 spell/phys pen
    (https://eso-skillbook.com/skill/dismember)

If you're willing to do more digging.there have been changes to the suprise attack (I cant say how it works exactly though), and maces (not sure about that one though).
  • WAMB0
    WAMB0
    ✭✭✭
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VdWrl57e8y7QVZRMlduJzXphV2Y4JIX4xvkFSupYTHk/edit?usp=sharing
    I added the necro passive for convenience. All credits still to TheYKcid
  • hakan
    hakan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i thought pen works on shields now since they changed shields to have resistance too??
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hakan wrote: »
    i thought pen works on shields now since they changed shields to have resistance too??

As I understand it, damage shields don't exactly have the resistance, it's just that the mitigation is now calculated prior to the shield, so your X amount of penetration reduces the targets Y amount of resistance, any damage left over is applied to the damage shield, if the damage shield is depleted any damage that passes through is then reduced by the targets block.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • WAMB0
    WAMB0
    ✭✭✭
    Edit:
    Update for Necrom up to U40 (Endless Archive)
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qmfpkOxnhA8q7k-rDXbHXyDRPUlcQ_7P1RP5--BCnLI/edit?usp=sharing
    Can't promise I caught all changes since I wasn't playing for a while. Make sure you're on the correct sheet.

tiny changes for Deadlands:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qmfpkOxnhA8q7k-rDXbHXyDRPUlcQ_7P1RP5--BCnLI/edit?usp=sharing

made a copy for Flames of Ambition:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IeM7YnBCg64HcT2Rq3rXHBmqGFWh7e8O8rKohZaKd10/edit?usp=sharing

Markarth (old)
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VI_Hvhrovl8v-b0vRnAGfILFaTB39sEzPjf65xR-hK8/edit?usp=sharing

I adjusted values for Markarth (as faar as I'm aware of changes).
    Pls note that I used the old static Alkosh values as minimum. Alkosh value now depends on dmg done by the tank, so you should rather check your average pen in actual fight to adjust - if you're using alkosh.
    Torugs might make a comeback, make sure to adjust the value in the Combat Metrics settings, or your penetration values wont add up correctly.

If you want to adjust the values, make yourself a copy of the sheed (first tab "file" -> make copy)

Credits still go to the original author!
    Edited by WAMB0 on November 14, 2023 5:26PM