The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Returning launch player, tips?

sirglenob14_ESO
sirglenob14_ESO
Soul Shriven
I played for several months starting shortly after the games launch (might have been at launch, can't recall exactly), and as I now wait for an estimated 4 hours for it to download, I thought I'd stop by and say hello and see if there are any suggestions (as a returning player, with old and possibly rare items in my inventory) that you all had to share as I wait to get ingame.
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tip #1 - Find a different game to play.

Just kidding. Kind of. Maybe.

Maybe be a little more specific about what kind of suggestions you're looking for.
    What did/do you like to do in ESO? What are you looking forward to doing? Do you need profession tips?

If you're interested in checking out builds because you're thinking about making a new character and not sure what to do... check out Alcasthq's website. Or Dottzgaming. I think those two are the most popular. But there are others. My suggestion would be to look at their builds, but don't follow them exactly. Check out other gear sets and other abilities. Really make your character your own. :)

Good luck. And welcome back to ESO.
    Happy holidays!
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back!

If you stopped playing in 2014, your gear is probably going to be CP 120 or CP 140, so that's not going to be very helpful to sell. You may have some rare provisioning items in your inventory that you could sell as a novelty.

First and foremost: Have fun!

If you enjoy crafting, there are now daily crafting writs you can do that are good money.

There are also a large number of daily quests in the game, and the reward boxes drop different items, including motifs that can be sold.

You are now battle-leveled in all zones, but depending on the gap between your gear and your level, that may make some level ranges a bit hard. When you look at your character sheet, you will see 4 stars on the top right of your sheet. You preferably want them to be filled (white), but gold is best (though do not worry about that until you are CP 160 if you aren't at that level yet)

Feel free to ask any questions.

PS: There is now a guild finder so you can find a guild that suits your needs.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Tebari
    Tebari
    ✭✭
    Best advice I can give is to start a new character from scratch if you have a free character slot to get a feel for the game and how it has changed.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Forget everything you knew about the game, it's entirely different now. Learn what the game is now, and don't play like it's still 2014.
  • sirglenob14_ESO
    sirglenob14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the replies everybody, and in response to the question about what I like to do, I'm kind of a general completionist type, and recall that I was working on a little bit of everything (group pvp, crafting, and pve) when I left.

Only about 2.5 hours to go!
  • sirglenob14_ESO
    sirglenob14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Also a new character is absolutely the plan, since I'd miss too many of the basics if I don't go through the new player experience.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From launch?
    Big Changes:

One Tamriel: zones and quests are no longer level-locked, so you can go anywhere and do anything in any order. Everything is battleleveled to CP 160, which is also the gear cap. The zone guide can help if you want to know the order of quests in a zone.

Magicka/Stamina: with some of the scaling changes and the removal of soft caps, its generally advisable to build towards either magicka or stamina in order to do more damage. The new Skill Advisor can give some basic guidance on builds, but if you use outside sources, you'll see things like MagSorc/StamSorc based off which stat you want to focus on.
  • sirglenob14_ESO
    sirglenob14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    How about the importance of buying the chapters, since all I have now is tue base game? It seems they are announcing the next chapter in about a month (with release coming shortly thereafter I expect), and it also seems that once a new chapter is released, it then sells as a bundle with all the previous ones included. So, how important is it to have the chapters as I start out as a new character? Will I miss out on any meaningful character building options (classes, races, etc.) if I stuck with the vanilla version until the next chapter release? As an aside, I'll (at least initially) plan on having ESO+.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next chapter won't be in a month.
    More likely around april when they'll announce it at Vegas. So you got time for this.

BUT, around January-February, a major perf update overall is going to happen and we'll have to re-install the game from scratch.
    So, be mentally ready for that, 4h is ok at least for you, it's 2 day for me, rip.

About change, I've start at the end of Summerset, as a new player the game was good and it got lot of change until today, so I can easily imagine how different it's gonna be for you.

Even if I keep saying play what you enjoy, I know lot of ppl enjoy the best so :
    - Necro - Orc, best stam DPS (have seen some very impressive Templar parse in stam too)
    - Templar/Warden - Breton, best healer
    - NB/DK - Nord, most used Tank in vTrial
    - Not sur for mag DPS, would said DK/Templar - Breton.

Other combo are not bad at all, but that what I saw the most in vTrial these day.

You'll find the rest in game, nothing more to add, just make your way to discover all the change and ask on forum when you need more information.

HF buddy !
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• sirglenob14_ESO
    sirglenob14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Character wise I've always rolled as a max magicka dark elf sorc, so unless I have only 1 available slot and only other DE Sorcs, thats what I'm going to be rolling from scratch here in about an hour and a half.

Also, my condolences on your 2d, that chills the soul just to imagine.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about the importance of buying the chapters, since all I have now is tue base game? It seems they are announcing the next chapter in about a month (with release coming shortly thereafter I expect), and it also seems that once a new chapter is released, it then sells as a bundle with all the previous ones included. So, how important is it to have the chapters as I start out as a new character? Will I miss out on any meaningful character building options (classes, races, etc.) if I stuck with the vanilla version until the next chapter release? As an aside, I'll (at least initially) plan on having ESO+.

If you plan on ESO+, the only Chapter you won't have is Elsweyr. The two previous chapters, Morrowind and Summerset, became DLC a year after their release and are included in ESO+ now.

What you'll miss out on from the Elsweyr Chapter: Necromancer class, Northern Elsweyr zone, and Sunspire trial.

You'll also want to consider buying the Warden Class upgrade from the Crown Store, which unlocks the Warden, which was formerly bundled with the Morrowind Chapter.
    Edited by VaranisArano on December 10, 2019 5:48PM
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get most crown store stuff through gifting, ie with gold instead (someone else buys the item on your behalf), so you can get dlc's and the warden, but not the latest chapter with gold.

If your previous character has learned some traits, keep them and use them for your crafter, and save time by not having to learn the traits again. He can also become a baggage handler if he has no other use.
  • sirglenob14_ESO
    sirglenob14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Great info all around, so it sounds like I'll be good for a bit without the Chapter, and should save crowns for now and trade farmable items for the store bought DLC (including Sommerset and Morrowind stuff, and probably in April I can buy the 2018/2019 chapter (Elswar) stuff too.
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are going to have crowns gifted, I would highly suggest using the trade guild on discord. Don't use zone chat, you will likely be tricked out of your gold.