The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Steam location indicator

WeerW3ir
WeerW3ir
✭✭✭✭✭
So as you can see. recently most of the newest games on Steam shows where are you, or what are you doing in the games. Like for example. Destiny 2 shows youre on the moon. or CSGO show youre in a match. Eso should have it too. its 2019.

Steam location indicator 25 votes

Yes. its a must
8%
daryl.rasmusenb14_ESOLoneStar2911 2 votes
No. its not
64%
validifyedneb18_ESOMicallefStreegaKnightpantherKuwharwolfie1.0.DBZVelenameekmikoessi2altunit21Hippie4927karthrag_inakSeaGtGruffTaunkyGreystagRefLiberty 16 votes
Yes, but actually no
4%
BeatrixLaChance 1 vote
I have no idea (state why you have no idea)
24%
illusioukSqueaky_CleanImmortalElf13Blood_againwhitecrowjohnjetau 6 votes
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have no idea (state why you have no idea)
    I have no idea...what you are talking about.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kinda already does, open your guild roster or friends list, it shows you what zone someone is in, what dungeon, what trial, what arena etc...
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. its not
    uhm... sure, but not exactly something to 'It's 2019' about.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. its not
    You can have multiple characters in ESO, and the screen where you choose which character you want to load does in fact tell you where that character is. Plus, you can switch back and forth between the NA and EU servers.

So I'm not sure which server and which character Steam is supposed to be getting that information from. Should it be from whichever one you were on when you last logged out of the game? If so, should it also indicate which server and character you were last playing on?

Anyway, it's not Steam's fault, because Steam would only be able to display in-game information that ZOS made available to Steam, such as if ZOS wrote some sort of cookie in your Steam folder so Steam knows which server you were last on, which character you were last playing with, and what that player's last location was.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Knightpanther
    Knightpanther
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. its not
    What are you a stalker?
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use Stream so it's irrelevant to me personally, but I agree with the people saying there is no way Steam could reasonably display this and it makes sense to stick with the info already displayed in-game.

The login screen will remember which server you logged into last, the character select screen shows which map each character is in (and their level) and then when you log into the character you can see all their current quests and the zone guide will prompt you for map completion stuff. I'm not sure moving any of that to Steam so can see it before logging in would be helpful, especially if it can only display 1 character at a time.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. its not
    @SeaGtGruff Rich presence would be dynamic enough to know which character you are on and in which zone/activity you are in. If implemented well.

For example in Hearts of Iron 4 Steam will broadcast that you are playing f.e.x Hungary in 1938, and if your country changes or when the year ticks over the change is reflected in the rich presence.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

• OsManiaC
    OsManiaC
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello My good friend

They've been working for implementing steam achievements for 3 years

After they did that, they will try your idea

unknown.png

GM of The Argonian Kebab, The Argonian Steak & The Argonian BBQ - PC - EU (The Tamriel Kitchen) @OsManiaC

Don't worry, the tail grows back!
    if it breathes we eats. #justbosmerthings - we can detect stealth boy NPCs and hunt them thanks to our skill!

https://steamcommunity.com/id/osmaniac
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the purpose of a location indicator? To let your Steam Friends know what you are doing at the moment so they can decide if they want to join you?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect this falls in line with the same idea Zos has behind us not being able to inspect each other.

Beyond that the answer choices do not make sense. yes, but no make no sense.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. its not
    What's the purpose of a location indicator? To let your Steam Friends know what you are doing at the moment so they can decide if they want to join you?

If your Steam friends also have ESO, and especially if they belong to one or more of the same guilds that you do and have the Discord app, wouldn't they already be able to see that you're currently playing ESO, jump on ESO themselves (assuming they weren't playing it already), and go to their friends list to see where you are?

PS-- I don't have any Steam friends, so I don't know whether Steam already shows you which games your friends are playing right now, but I do know that Discord does.
    Edited by SeaGtGruff on December 9, 2019 11:31PM
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. its not
    @SeaGtGruff It does, OP wants them to implement Rich Information not because this or parts of its functionality isn't replicated elsewhere, but because it exists... and it would display zone/activity aswell as character.

There is no real benefit to this, but that hasn't stopped Steam from creating the functionality in the first place.

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. its not
    Ah, okay @essi2, thank you for that information! :)

The only games I've got on Steam are TES games, and none of them show me that sort of information. And since I've never tried to friend anybody through Steam (yes, I know, I'm an asocial Gruff'n'Stuff, or whatever), I don't have any idea what Steam shows you about what your friends are doing.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

If your Steam friends also have ESO, and especially if they belong to one or more of the same guilds that you do and have the Discord app, wouldn't they already be able to see that you're currently playing ESO, jump on ESO themselves (assuming they weren't playing it already), and go to their friends list to see where you are?

PS-- I don't have any Steam friends, so I don't know whether Steam already shows you which games your friends are playing right now, but I do know that Discord does.

I'm just trying to figure out what the purpose of a location indicator is in the first place.

Steam does show which game your Steam friends are playing. My Steam friends are also IRL friends, so communicating our gaming plans is pretty easy. I'm guessing that the intent of the Steam location indicator is to get more precise info at a glance without having to log in?
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. its not
    Pretty much.

• wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No. its not
    I spend quite a bit of time in offline mode for a reason.
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just trying to figure out what the purpose of a location indicator is in the first place.

Steam does show which game your Steam friends are playing. My Steam friends are also IRL friends, so communicating our gaming plans is pretty easy. I'm guessing that the intent of the Steam location indicator is to get more precise info at a glance without having to log in?

Yes. Like you see your friend is playing Destiny 2. and you see he is in Strike or in the EDZ or Tower.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WeerW3ir wrote: »

Yes. Like you see your friend is playing Destiny 2. and you see he is in Strike or in the EDZ or Tower.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I suppose it could be useful for some people.
    I'm not sure that I'd use that feature for ESO, since I can either contact my friends directly or my guildies are active on Discord/Teamspeak or the guild already has the event scheduled.
  • DBZVelena
    DBZVelena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. its not
    Last thing anybody needs is more easy wait for people to stalk somebody in game. I know creeps following certain female streamers would def use it to try and follow the streamer around.

There's a reason i have it turned off when ever i can.
    What are Natch Potes? Can you eat those?
    I believe in Genie-Gina.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s 2019, why are you still using Steam for ESO?

I guess there hasn’t been a steam only outage for a while so we’ve forgotten how horrible that was.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom