The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Can I enchant an item I intend to turn in for a master writ?

CallMeTrinity23
I'm trying to get the achievement where I craft a legendary item and then enchant the item with a legendary enchantment that I also crafted. But I want to turn that crafted item into the master writ vendor for writ vouchers. Will he accept the writ eventhough it's enchanted? Or will he deny it since it has an enchantment on there?

Best Answer

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt many have tried which would be required to give you a worthy answer. I would suggest testing it with Epic to see if it will be accepted before trying it at legendary.

Ofc, I would suggest doing it with something you would wear first since that would not cause issues.
    Answer ✓
  • CallMeTrinity23
    idk wrote: »
    I doubt many have tried which would be required to give you a worthy answer. I would suggest testing it with Epic to see if it will be accepted before trying it at legendary.

Ofc, I would suggest doing it with something you would wear first since that would not cause issues.

I'll try it with a purple writ first like you suggested, and I'll see if that works!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good. and maybe report back here if it does. Others may be interested.
  • CallMeTrinity23
    Okay so here's what I did to test it. I bought 2 epic writs, both pretty easy to craft. I read 1 of them and then crafted the item, and then crafted the other without reading it. I then enchanted both of the items. So now I have 1 enchanted and the quest started, and 1 enchanted without the quest being started. And for the actual enchantments, I just made the ones with Ta.

Both ways worked. So, as long as the writs are made correctly with the exact specifications, it doesn't matter if you enchant it or not. I'm just hoping the same remains true for legendary items. I hate wasting mats! I'll keep this thread updated when I find out!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is good to know since someone else might have the same question. It should be true for all levels. Let us know for sure.
  • psxfloh
    psxfloh
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edit (strikethrough): Why would you enchant an item you're going to give away eventually?

afaik you cannot turn in items that are bound...
    So if you want to use your legendary and turn it in some time in the future, this won't work!
    Edited by psxfloh on December 6, 2019 7:42AM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psxfloh wrote: »
    Why would you enchant an item you're going to give away eventually?

afaik you cannot turn in items that are bound...
    So if you want to use your legendary and turn it in some time in the future, this won't work!

They stated in their OP that they were doing it for the achievement where you enchant a legendary item with a legendary enchantment. Much the same way people would do one of the old gold jewelry master writs for the achievement tied to that and the dye.

At least it's better than just making a trash item legendary and enchanting it, at least you get the vouchers from it.
    Edited by tmbrinks on December 5, 2019 12:17PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why wouldn't you make a Gold weapon for your self? I always use a Crafted Set for weapons so o never have to subject myself to the whims and peccadilloes of RNG for a set weapon.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you make a Gold weapon for your self? I always use a Crafted Set for weapons so o never have to subject myself to the whims and peccadilloes of RNG for a set weapon.

The build they want to run doesn't use crafted weapons...

The already got the weapon they want to drop in gold....

They have limited resources and only want to do it once, but want the vouchers because those can be used for recipes/furnishing plans/etc...

Any number of reasons... no need to impart YOUR playstyle on what they do, when they were simply asking a question on whether something would work or not.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Okay so here's what I did to test it. I bought 2 epic writs, both pretty easy to craft. I read 1 of them and then crafted the item, and then crafted the other without reading it. I then enchanted both of the items. So now I have 1 enchanted and the quest started, and 1 enchanted without the quest being started. And for the actual enchantments, I just made the ones with Ta.

Both ways worked. So, as long as the writs are made correctly with the exact specifications, it doesn't matter if you enchant it or not. I'm just hoping the same remains true for legendary items. I hate wasting mats! I'll keep this thread updated when I find out!

@CallMeTrinity23 Thanks for the insightful feedback, bud. I was not aware of this.
    Edited by redlink1979 on December 6, 2019 3:16PM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enchanting and item does not make it bound so it will work for master writs. But it will be wasteful since you'll lose a Kuta (~2K).

I've been getting that achievement by crafting weapons from popular set, upgrading them to legendary, enchanting them and selling them on guild stores. Sold a Julianos inferno infused staff enchanted with a legendary flame glyph for 40K a few months ago, which is not bad, considering the price of materials was about 27K looking at the MM average. So almost 10K in profit (25% margin) when subtracting guild fees.
    Edited by Asardes on December 6, 2019 3:55PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |