The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Which class can do the most solo with the least number of active skills? Impaired Gamer.

sutasafaia
Get the nitty gritty out of the way first, I have neuropathy. Moving my fingers too much or too quickly causes pain. This has sadly meant that I tend to have very limited playtime for many games, especially MMO's since they tend to prefer you playing a piano to get the most out of a game. Slow reaction time is generally not your friend.

That said, I played this game years ago and it seemed to not be quite as bad? You don't generally have to reach too far to reach your skills and I don't remember this game being horribly punishing, although it's been a while so I could just be remembering wrong. The last time I played it was some type of Magsorc using pets that mostly relied on Heavy Attacks from a lightning staff and virtually never swapped bars for anything.

I have no idea if something like that is still viable or not, hence why I am asking. I had also considered a Magplar since I saw some mention that they can be played with more or less three active skills and are tankier without having to keep activating a bubble shield? Ranged classes do tend to be better for me since they normally involve less dodging, especially with pets to tank things away from me, but maybe that's not completely true for this game?

Just to toss it out there, I have nothing against grouping. I know mentioning solo in a title can sometimes irritate people on an MMO game. However, since I am well aware that I will generally hold groups back, I tend to avoid playing with them. I will never be top dps, likely won't even really be competitive dps, so I see no real reason to drag anybody else down with me. If I get lucky and find a really good guild who doesn't mind dragging my sorry butt around while I attempt to learn things, great, but who knows, right?

Anyway, any ideas are appreciated. I haven't really been able to play an MMO for quite a while and I miss them, this seemed like a good one to try and come back to, especially since it scratches my itch for wanting to be a crafter.
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magsorc: Heavy attack & pet build. Magplar casting some aoe and using jabs.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a two pet magsorc with dual lightning staves might be worth considering.

Minimize active skills by double slotting Matriarch, Volatile Familiar and Bound Aegis on both bars.

Buff with Surge and Boundless Storm from back bar.

Then run destro wall and sorc lightning flood on front bar with lotsa heavy attacks.

Super simple armor set up could be Necropotence, Julianos, Slimecraw.

Awesome sustain, good survival and adequate damage without your fingers having to jitterbug all over the keyboard.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • sutasafaia
    Thanks for the replies. I was considering doing something similar to this: https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-sorcerer-maelstrom-pve/ or possibly trying out Magplar since they can apparently just jab and that's practically it? Apparently? I have no idea which would be easier.

I really do want to be able to enjoy the game, and it sounds like they can both do virtually anything solo, but I've only been looking around for a little bit so I obviously don't know all too much yet. Considering that's two votes to Magsorc though it sounds like that's at least going to be one of my choices for sure.
    Edited by sutasafaia on November 28, 2019 9:11PM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar jabs is costly to spam and takes some practice to weave well with it. The cost though drives more skills onto your bar though - channeled focus and elemental drain to help with sustain. The fact that jabs is melee also drives more skills onto your bar to support ranged combat. So the simplicity of a magplar is overstated.

I play and enjoy both but, honestly, find the magsorc requires less quick thinking and less quick fingers.
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget Templar. Aiming those jabs takes a good bit of manual dexterity, especially in PvP.

Mag sorc heavy attack pet build is your best bet. It will probably never hit the absolute highest DPS, but it's the best bang for your buck if you want the least button mashing.
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm obviously biased, but Magden is strong and something to consider.

Front bar: Fissure, Dive, Fetcher Infection, Inner Light, Bird of Prey

Back bar: Wall of Elements, Winter's Revenge, netch/healing/shield skill of your choice, Inner Light, Bird of Prey

Eternal Guardian ulti on both bars

Inner Light will passively give you Major Prophecy, and Bird of Prey passively provides Minor Berserk.

For sets, consider Iceheart for your monster set. It's easy to get and is perhaps the strongest defensive PvE set in the game. Also maybe consider running a shock staff so you can do more AoE damage.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    magsorc/zoosorc almost certainly. Between 2 puts and innerlight, 3 of the 5 abilities they have on each bar barely ever need pressing.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar jabs is costly to spam and takes some practice to weave well with it. The cost though drives more skills onto your bar though - channeled focus and elemental drain to help with sustain. The fact that jabs is melee also drives more skills onto your bar to support ranged combat. So the simplicity of a magplar is overstated.

I play and enjoy both but, honestly, find the magsorc requires less quick thinking and less quick fingers.
    I play both magsorc and magplar, and yeah the jab spam (or sweeps, rather) magplar gameplay is overrated IMO.

While the 1 button jab spam works perfectly fine in easy content (and in most group content) if you can only sustain it, in solo situations it leaves you very vulnerable if you get hit with an unbreakable stun or end up caught in an unbreakable pin mechanic.

Magsorc is A LOT more forgiving in that regard - as long as you religiously keep up at least Crit Surge and Boundless (recast both at least a couple seconds early!), this alone will provide a lot of effectively passive selfhealing - which continues to work even if your character is temporarily disabled by a mechanic or unbreakable stun.
    Well, that's assuming that your build has a reasonable crit rate, on the order of 40-50% at least.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As long as you can heavy attack without pain, I'd go for magsorc.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • sutasafaia
    Thanks for the replies so far, they have been a big help. I'm low level (obviously, I just restarted two days ago) and so far am leaning towards that 1-bar build I linked earlier with a couple small changes. I am using Clannfear instead of Volatile because it seems to tank far better, and I am going to try to get Crit Surge on bar 2. I think I can manage swapping for a 33 second cooldown, it's not like I'll normally need it outside of bosses right? I can ignore it 99% of the time.

I do need to ask, what ulti to hold me over until destro? I just got Atro and it seems to be pretty good, I really didn't like the one whose name I forget (dark magic...I think?) but I do kind of like the sith lightning ulti also. I forget what that one is called too, obviously.

So far I've been able to play with fairly minimal pain. I drop lightning wall and just heavy attack, so far that's worked for almost everything. I even managed to do a world boss on my own, although I had to take a break afterwards because that stung a bit with all the running around involved.
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a modified 2-bar version of the 1-bar vMA petsorc build.
    Having access to Crit Surge makes it a lot more forgiving to play, since you are relying less on reactive defense and more on proactively keeping your health up via the Crit Surge HoT.

Frontbar: Empowered Ward, Unstable Wall, Lightning Flood, Volatile Familiar, Tormentor
    Backbar: Dark Deal, Boundless, Crit Surge, Volatile Familiar, Tormentor

With the changes in recent updates, Clannfear is now really bad for magicka users (it's a stamina morph now), and I found that its "soft taunt" doesn't work on most of the harder bosses anyway.

In OP's case, I'd use Matriarch instead of Tormentor, so that your burst heal is double-barred.
    At that point you might as well drop Dark Deal and replace it with a double-barred Ward as well. Although personally I like Dark Deal, it helps a lot with stamina management when fighting bosses that relentlessly spam stuns at you.

Also you might want to replace the Unstable Wall and Lightning Flood with the other morphs, they last 14 seconds instead of 10, at the cost of less damage output.

Edit:
    You can also try this version of a 1-bar vMA build:
    Unstable Wall, Boundless, Crit Surge, Volatile Familiar, Matriarch

That's the least demanding setup I can think of, which is still enough for most content - especially when paired with a defensive monster set like Iceheart.

As for the ultis, Atronach ulti is the best substitute for destro ulti, damage-wise. (in terms of damage dealt per unit of ultimate spent)

Negate is OK-ish, but not really great for PvE. Very expensive, meh duration, and bosses are immune to stuns anyway.

Overload (the Emperor Palpatine thing) is quite bad in PvE, and mediocre at best in PvP.
    It used to be quite good for a short time, then got nerfed hard because some people used it to bomb zergs in PvP. Even then, you had to build specifically for Overload usage for it to be any good in actual practice.
    Edited by Major_Lag on December 1, 2019 2:31PM
  • sutasafaia
    I've been finding clannfear works far better than familiar so far, but I can give the imp a shot once I unlock the other winged healer if it's that much better.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The clannfear is good for working solo outside group dungeons. When other players are around, the clannfear will lose aggro. In group dungeons, your pets are immortal but the price is that foes totally ignore them.

The volatile familiar provides more dps but you must provide more of your defense. A mature petsorc can run a shield, boundless storm and heal with matriarch. That makes them tough enough that maneuvering can keep the sorc with volatile familiar safe enough. The clannfear can reduce the amount of dancing around with a foe that your sorc will have to do (again, solo and outside of group dungeons). So. . . under circumstances when the clannfear is helpful, using it can decrease the defensive buffs and maneuvering required by the sorc.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on December 2, 2019 12:46PM
  • sutasafaia
    That all makes sense. So if I was trying to do something silly like solo a world boss, clanny works better than familiar for that purpose? Not that people don't generally show up and help anyway but I've been alone a fair few times so far.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    sutasafaia wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I was considering doing something similar to this: https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-sorcerer-maelstrom-pve/ or possibly trying out Magplar since they can apparently just jab and that's practically it? Apparently? I have no idea which would be easier.

That's one of them. Or just run the regular alcast petsorc build under his trials/dungeons tab. They are AOE-based so targeting is not a huge issue. I also run the matriarch over the tormentor as it provides massive heals. I prefer the scamp/familiar for damage. I also run Boundless Storm as a shield as it gives some DPS, too.

For solo and group content, I think this is the easiest build to run in even the worst pug group.
  • akdave0
    akdave0
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have a look at these: Using these you can build a very powerful character, be sure to get that radiant oppression skill, single button melting, especially when you level up, monsters will cower before you.

I used these three builds to create an exceptionally strong, versatile hybrid Magplar DPS/healer build. Perfect for solo and group play.

Feel free to msg me, if you have any questions or if you decide to use this build, or need help.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-solo-magicka-templar-build-pve/

https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-templar-build-pve/

https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-templar-healer-build-pve/
    Edited by akdave0 on December 3, 2019 1:37AM
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    Use False God with a MagPlar, finish 80% of game alone
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)