The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Nerf Resistance scaling or tanking

• Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    iCaliban wrote: »
    Xvorg wrote: »
    Ok, first of all, nerfing block is not going to solve any issue since there are classes that live on blocking dmg, Do you want to nerf it? Ok, then give something to those classes to compensate.

Healing should be tuned down a little. It is way too strong and there are a lot sources that increase healing done and healing received/taken. But more important than that, it is the use of defile. It was a good debuff, quite useful, BUT it was too easy to get over 50% through CP. The biggest offender wasnt' defile, the biggest offender was the befoul star on CP.

The solution was quite simple but instead of that, ZoS tried to reinvent the wheel (as they have done it once and again during the last 5 years) and now we have one of the most boring patches ever.

While healing + block/purge is a great combo to negate dmg, DoT + defile is not a good combo to counter that.

No class "lives and dies" by s/b. S/b is a crutch abused by many players in pvp.

I am not calling for it to be gutted, simply have some of the overwhelming defensive power it provides reduced. When combined with HOTS, and block casted burst heals, a s/b user is all but unkillable even if they are in mulitple damage sets. Ive seen good players tank entire teams in BGs far longer than they should using it.

In terms of sheer performance, no weapon line gives as much raw value in pvp as s/b.

And what's the point to nerf s/b if the offender is healing? You can go tanky without using s/b or ice staff.

The problem is healing which has no real counter. 4 secs of defile do not counter HoTs that last over 5 secs. I would have no problem with healing if defile was stronger, but it is not.
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    The answer is to LITERALLY nerf healing. The reason heals were buffed was because dots were also buffed. Now dots are WORSE than what it was before the buff. So the only logical answer is to nerf healing by at least %20-30.

Remember to say "HoTs" and not healing.

It won't matter anyway when HoTs will continue to be overtuned even after nerfs as long as you get more in than damage in, and thanks to a certain staff and DW combination that is possible on every build in the game and will continue to do so.

There's so many ways to either reduce, negate, or absorb damage and heal that a flat nerf will do nothing but nerf some specs, leave others untouched, make balance worse and then we'll see more crying in the forums when said specs all run to full damage builds.

True. Burst healing seems to be ok, and defile counters it pretty well
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • iCaliban
    iCaliban
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iCaliban wrote: »
    Ok, first of all, nerfing block is not going to solve any issue since there are classes that live on blocking dmg, Do you want to nerf it? Ok, then give something to those classes to compensate.

Healing should be tuned down a little. It is way too strong and there are a lot sources that increase healing done and healing received/taken. But more important than that, it is the use of defile. It was a good debuff, quite useful, BUT it was too easy to get over 50% through CP. The biggest offender wasnt' defile, the biggest offender was the befoul star on CP.

The solution was quite simple but instead of that, ZoS tried to reinvent the wheel (as they have done it once and again during the last 5 years) and now we have one of the most boring patches ever.

While healing + block/purge is a great combo to negate dmg, DoT + defile is not a good combo to counter that.

No class "lives and dies" by s/b. S/b is a crutch abused by many players in pvp.

I am not calling for it to be gutted, simply have some of the overwhelming defensive power it provides reduced. When combined with HOTS, and block casted burst heals, a s/b user is all but unkillable even if they are in mulitple damage sets. Ive seen good players tank entire teams in BGs far longer than they should using it.

In terms of sheer performance, no weapon line gives as much raw value in pvp as s/b.

And what's the point to nerf s/b if the offender is healing? You can go tanky without using s/b or ice staff.

The problem is healing which has no real counter. 4 secs of defile do not counter HoTs that last over 5 secs. I would have no problem with healing if defile was stronger, but it is not.

Except its not healing that is the offender. If you arent running SB damage is so high that having strong healing is mandatory. Its only when coupled with SB that it becomes oppressive. The tradeoff to running s/b back bar is trivial on mag toons, and minimal on stam toons. This allows players to be incredibly tanky while still doing great damage when built right.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Much easier solution: connect tankyness to movement speed. The tankier a character becomes, the slower he moves. ALWAYS. While walking, while running, while mistforming around a rock. Make it DECIDEDLY slower, not just 1%.
    (I would be willing to overlook riding, though.)

As soon as tankyness has a real price, ppl will start thinking whether they prefer being hard to kill to being hard to catch and builds will start normalizing.

I somewhat agree but think that’d punish medium builds. Melee need to be a bit faster to land attacks.

Try a magplar with speed keeping ritual up. It’s hilarious what results you can get mix and matching traditional class gear on different classes.

If there’s inherent speed to gear it should be med > light > heavy.
    Edited by Iskiab on November 19, 2019 11:48PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • akdave0
    akdave0
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe create a character class that is killing you. The saying goes, "if you can beat em', join em." This day and age it seems, if you cant beat em, cry rather than get better or adapt.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    akdave0 wrote: »
    Maybe create a character class that is killing you. The saying goes, "if you can beat em', join em." This day and age it seems, if you cant beat em, cry rather than get better or adapt.

Somewhat true, but there are imbalances. The people who don’t see it are those who play the most powerful classes are think they’re a hell of a lot better players then they are.

Most sorcs are a good example of this, never played another class and have no clue what they’re talking about.

If you want to ‘git gud’ the best thing you can do for yourself is play a magblade for a while. You’ll have to learn how to light attack weave to be anything but hopeless.

Then switch to another class that’s doing well like templar, DK, sorc, etc... and you’ll absolutely rock people.

That’s what I did and it works well. Next time you die check out your death log and you’ll see how few pvpers even light attack weave. I mean, these are also people who think they’re good. It’s pretty ridiculous.
    Edited by Iskiab on November 21, 2019 3:39PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • agingerinohio
    agingerinohio
    ✭✭✭
    Don't nerf tanks and healers because you can't kill them. Generally if someone is using a build like that, get coordinated fast. You want to drain them of their primary resource they're using to heal, use interrupts, anything that brings down resistances, poisons that increase the cost of their abilities, OR simply just try to ignore that player.
    Instead of calling for nerf, call for our dot strength back. Dots have been nerfed into the ground.

Also, if healing is nerfed any further I honestly believe that even more people in PVE will not be able to complete even more vet end game content due to the fact that healing had been nerfed further on top of sustain. I will also note that tanking has already been nerfed too which is effecting a lot of people in end game pve content as well.
  • Bullseyebudx
    Bullseyebudx
    ✭✭✭
    Expert wrote: »
    Since everyone falls back on TLDR, or OP died by this or that. or a nerf this thread.

Lets see your constructive criticism

Want specifics? Okay, healing power has increased a lot lately. Defile options has been nerfed a lot in the past, and now we have a gap of immortality when it comes to trying to outplay the strong healing power it has. Maybe templars... maybe you'll just get offended. Tanks happen to live through because of strong healing power, it's easier to stack resistances than it is to stack penetration. Change my mind.

Cheers

I think a lot of the behaviors you're explaining revolve around Onslaught.
    Onslaught ignores all resistance and penetration at the same time entirely.
    The options to counter/mitigate this; maim, damage reduction effects, healing, blocking, or out DPS.
    No one was interested in the out DPS route last patch, but that doesn't mean DOTs didn't actually need to be adjusted.
    Crucially though, against your average player you won't survive a full all out flurry of attacks following an onslaught without healing.

I think the issue might just boil down to how self healing is managed vs. target healing vs. target or self healing effects.
    Right now it's incredibly easy to have excellent DPS and slot 1 healing ability and actually get better output than your avg. healer because of how spell damage and max magicka effect healing.
    The real issue becomes when your HPS is higher than your opponents DPS, and your DPS is higher than your opponents HPS because at that point there's really no point in fighting the decision is already made.

Notice the new foods with health recovery but oh wait...not for stam characters.
    In the PvE world you get kicked from dungeons if you cue a vet dungeon for healing not as a Templar just an FYI.
    It's very unusual to see consistent and predominate mindsets like this when there isn't actually some truth to it.
    With consistent nerfs to damage eventually at some point avg. HPS > avg. DPS.

I think resistance values are actually correct, the stat density difference can be attributed to minimum stat numbers.
    You can't actually get your damage tool tip to 0, therefore; resistance must be padded to account for the base stats which is why there's a stat density difference.
    I haven't looked at critical resistance specifically but I'd rather see critical penetration before changes to crit resistance.
    There's a hard counter to stacking resistance though and it completely invalidates an entire function of combat.
    Also I think part of the resistance stackings is people burnt out and not wanting to change their builds again.

I've tried to look objectively for other causes but every route seems to come back to Templars & healing to be fair.
    They need to close the gap between DOTs and Healing, but for the most part avg. DPS should probably exceed avg. HPS because the alternative doesn't sustain a competitive environment.
    Honestly the only reason I never bothered making a Templar was because I thought they'd be adjusted by this point.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am not surprised by tanky meta, since everything that was meant to counter tanks (Werewolves, bleed dmg mechanics, oblivion dmg, defile, etc.) was vote-nerfed to oblivion.

It is hilarious to see people who previously were bragging about those things and how those were broken, now that those things are gone are like: "We dont have counter to tanks"

This is how blind call for nerfs ends. With broken game balance eco-system... lol ? :joy::D

^This! Though you forgot to mention DOTS.
  • seitekisaki
    seitekisaki
    ✭✭✭
    What if instead of a nerf across the board there was a battle spirit update? The update would lower defenses over a certain threshold like a hard cap just for PvP outside of PvE. Then nerfing HoTs per skill bases because some classes really crutch on them and some don't need them as much.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Caltrops.