The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Pre-lvl50 BGs need MUCH better scaling

kingsforged
kingsforged
✭✭✭
The difference between experienced players using crafted sets and new or mid-tier players without them is completely ridiculous. New/mid players literally don't stand a chance against them and any form of skill becomes completely irrelevant to the point of 4 average geared players can lose against a single crafted/upgraded set player. Farming dungeon sets gives something of a chance (but even then not much due to stat RNG), but being able to achieve 2 full sets of gear with low level dungeon RNG is a mindless slog that could take anything from 1-30+ runs (with terrible queue times if you play as full DD) and becomes beyond boring.

Stats need to be scaled up drastically in order for BGs to even be worth playing for newer players. As it is dying in 5 seconds and not even being able to drop a player below 75% HP is a complete turn-off and massively affects participation as nobody wants to play a game they can't compete in, and can't even do anything about in order to try and compete.

Boosting stats to match higher geared players would give all players a fighting chance whilst still retaining the set bonuses and more carefully selected stats exp players have rightfully earned via crafting etc.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait until those new players try VMA.

Ooh bOy.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The difference between experienced players using crafted sets and new or mid-tier players without them is completely ridiculous. New/mid players literally don't stand a chance against them and any form of skill becomes completely irrelevant to the point of 4 average geared players can lose against a single crafted/upgraded set player.

And 50+ isnt much better. Then you hit premades and highly organized premades. An organized raid on voice is basically invincible. It seems ZOE likes grouping, which is not evil on its own, but thats what it is. No hope for "casual" and PUG
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Battlescaling shouldn't exist in the first place. Remove it from PvP, but keep it for PvE for convenience.
  • CynicK
    CynicK
    ✭✭✭
    Use overland sets I managed to get two for my characters or one or two overland from chests and psijic portals and sometimes one from the rewards for pvp they were not always at my level but I did not do bad in battlegrounds 5th piece bonuses where not great but was better than nothing, with some characters I used the coward's set and capture the relic and chaosball where great fun.
    Well if you play in pc eu I can craft you something to even the field I am leveling a char from time to time and it is true that battlegrounds are full of people with at least bought skill lines and I also guess for their damage and resistance crafted sets.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately stuff like this has always been a part of pvp. Players who can’t hack it at 50 roll alts to pick on new players.

I don’t think there’s a way to stop it, just don’t do it yourself.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CynicK wrote: »
    Use overland sets I managed to get two for my characters or one or two overland from chests and psijic portals and sometimes one from the rewards for pvp they were not always at my level but I did not do bad in battlegrounds 5th piece bonuses where not great but was better than nothing, with some characters I used the coward's set and capture the relic and chaosball where great fun.
    Well if you play in pc eu I can craft you something to even the field I am leveling a char from time to time and it is true that battlegrounds are full of people with at least bought skill lines and I also guess for their damage and resistance crafted sets.

How do you know that they have bought Skill lines? Since from what I know no one really does that.
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some players only make new characters and once they get to 50 they delete them and start over.

Jierdanit wrote: »

How do you know that they have bought Skill lines? Since from what I know no one really does that.

Yes, people buy skill lines. Don't expect it to stop either as it puts more money in ZOS pockets.

Personally, never deleted a character once I have made one but talked to quite a few people who do only for under 50 BG's. Never delete sets used just recycle them.
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    Some players only make new characters and once they get to 50 they delete them and start over.

Yes, people buy skill lines. Don't expect it to stop either as it puts more money in ZOS pockets.

Personally, never deleted a character once I have made one but talked to quite a few people who do only for under 50 BG's. Never delete sets used just recycle them.

Yes, I know that people reroll for below 50, since ive been doing that for probably 3 years myself. I just dont get why they would buy any skill line, since u can perfectly well already get all the skills you want without buying them and it seems like no other reroller i know buys his skill lines.
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • nihoumab14_ESO
    nihoumab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    A guildie made me crafted purple sets for pvp, and oh boy, the difference is astounding in performance. ZOS should probably improve scaling for people with lower quality gear, and maybe even give them 2 5 set bonuses if they don't currently have them, keeping whatever bonuses they do have. For example, I'm currently running naga shaman as one of my 5 sets, but say I didn't have that 5 set, and only had 3 pieces? I think to better the newbie experience they default to giving you the set bonuses for the pvp gear for your bonus pieces you don't have (in my example, filling in the 4 and 5 set bonuses, but you only get two of them for say, wizard's reposte impregnable armor) and while leveling, and make your gear at least blue/purp quality in terms of stats provided.

IDK what else they can do besides that though
  • Alomar
    Alomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After playing ESO lvl 50 pvp on and off since the first pvp beta test 9 months pre-launch; I can no longer stomach the lag, imbalance, and bugs. So a few guildies and I have spent the last 4 months only doing lvl 10-49 bg pvp. It's been a lot of fun, earned over 10m ap between 3 characters, and faced a lot of other premades that make matches competitive. The downside is the broken activity finder, which has led to us doing 1/100th of the amount of bg's in December as compared to other months. With the announcement of New World in April there won't be any reason left for pvpers to stick with ESO.
    Haxus Council Member
    Former Havoc Commander
    Former DiE officer
    Alomar: 5 Stars - Beast: 3 stars - Kurudin: 5th NA emperor
    Awaiting New World, Camelot Unchained, and Crowfall
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sub 50 BG is the real end game

• LinearParadox
    LinearParadox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    >Insert "UnpopularOpinionPenguin.jpg" here buuuutt...

Pre-lvl50 people shouldn't even be playing PvP.

There's no balance. There will never BE any balance. Simple as that. There's no "scaling" that's going to make up for different power curves of classes at certain levels, lack of access to core skills, no proper build or synergistic item sets.
    Think about a MagSorc before/after unlocking Ward, for example. Or... my god... think about the fact you unlock PvP at lvl 10, and WEAPON SWAPPING AT 15. (Something I've pointed out since day 1 and been ignored on)

PvP under gear cap is a joke. It's a bunch of newbies having slap-fights and it's the equivalent of a LAN-party where everyone holds their controller upside-down or something as a joke; No one "wins", it's whomever sucks the least, and it gives a TERRIBLE impression of PvP at endgame.
    Not that endgame PvP is perfect, but it's a LOT more even-footed than "Baby's first BattleGround."
    twitch.tv/linearparadox
    Benthar the Unkillable - lvl 50 StamDK - AD
    High Confessor Celosia - lvl 50 MagDK, AD
    Aeolyndra Sunstrider - lvl 50 Magplar Support God, AD
    Maldreth Angala - lvl 50 Magicka PetSorc, AD
    Veldrosa Wyldwind - lvl 50 StamSorc, AD
    M. Night Shatupon - lvl 50 MagBlade, AD
    Vestonia Ironhardt - lvl 50 Warden GuardTank, AD
    Bone Daddy - lvl 50 Stamcro, AD
    Abra Kedaver - lvl 50 Magcro, AD
    CP 1100+
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alomar wrote: »
    After playing ESO lvl 50 pvp on and off since the first pvp beta test 9 months pre-launch; I can no longer stomach the lag, imbalance, and bugs. So a few guildies and I have spent the last 4 months only doing lvl 10-49 bg pvp. It's been a lot of fun, earned over 10m ap between 3 characters, and faced a lot of other premades that make matches competitive. The downside is the broken activity finder, which has led to us doing 1/100th of the amount of bg's in December as compared to other months. With the announcement of New World in April there won't be any reason left for pvpers to stick with ESO.

But in BGs over 50 there is no lag at all. I am pretty sure the reason they play under 50 is different :smiley:
    Because I can!
  • Alomar
    Alomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »

But in BGs over 50 there is no lag at all. I am pretty sure the reason they play under 50 is different :smiley:

Notice I said lvl 50 pvp, not lvl 50 bg's, reading comprehension is hard eh? There isn't a populated lvl 10-49 Cyrodiil alternative anymore due to the pvp community being so small.
    >Insert "UnpopularOpinionPenguin.jpg" here buuuutt...

Pre-lvl50 people shouldn't even be playing PvP.

There's no balance. There will never BE any balance. Simple as that. There's no "scaling" that's going to make up for different power curves of classes at certain levels, lack of access to core skills, no proper build or synergistic item sets.
    Think about a MagSorc before/after unlocking Ward, for example. Or... my god... think about the fact you unlock PvP at lvl 10, and WEAPON SWAPPING AT 15. (Something I've pointed out since day 1 and been ignored on)

PvP under gear cap is a joke. It's a bunch of newbies having slap-fights and it's the equivalent of a LAN-party where everyone holds their controller upside-down or something as a joke; No one "wins", it's whomever sucks the least, and it gives a TERRIBLE impression of PvP at endgame.
    Not that endgame PvP is perfect, but it's a LOT more even-footed than "Baby's first BattleGround."

Nice opinion, quite an uninformed one at that.
    Haxus Council Member
    Former Havoc Commander
    Former DiE officer
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »

Notice I said lvl 50 pvp, not lvl 50 bg's, reading comprehension is hard eh? There isn't a populated lvl 10-49 Cyrodiil alternative anymore due to the pvp community being so small.
    @Alomar Sorry what?
    [So a few guildies and I have spent the last 4 months only doing lvl 10-49 bg pvp.
    How shall I understand this line of your comment?
    Because I can!
  • LinearParadox
    LinearParadox
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Right, been playing since BETA, have 100s of hours in PvP alone, and carry games 9/10 times. Sure. "Uninformed".

Wanna explain how?
    Wanna try to debate how a MagSorc pre-lvl 30 in Daedric Summoning is going to fair again one that's unlocked Ward? Or a Nightblade without cloak? How about a Stam char, any stam char... before unlocking Vigor vs after it.
    What about someone using quest gear and random green-quality world drops vs someone that's spent resources to upgrade gear that they'll just out-level, just so they can beat up newbies?
    How about someone with 300 hours in the game making alts vs someone on their first character stumbling into PvP without basic knowledge of how ability scaling works (because there's still nothing explaining that) vs someone with a proper understanding of it;
    Someone with their stats scattered everywhere and no heal on their bar vs a PvP setup with focused scaling into either Stam or Mag.

There's no arguing this, and you know it. I imagine that's why you just left a snippy little remark rather than actually debating any of my points.
    There are two types of people in <lvl50 PvP: Newbies, and experienced players that can't hack it in endgame and wanna be a big fish in a small pond by beating down the aforementioned newbies. Plain and simple.
    Edited by LinearParadox on December 24, 2019 8:10PM
    twitch.tv/linearparadox
    Benthar the Unkillable - lvl 50 StamDK - AD
    High Confessor Celosia - lvl 50 MagDK, AD
    Aeolyndra Sunstrider - lvl 50 Magplar Support God, AD
    Maldreth Angala - lvl 50 Magicka PetSorc, AD
    Veldrosa Wyldwind - lvl 50 StamSorc, AD
    M. Night Shatupon - lvl 50 MagBlade, AD
    Vestonia Ironhardt - lvl 50 Warden GuardTank, AD
    Bone Daddy - lvl 50 Stamcro, AD
    Abra Kedaver - lvl 50 Magcro, AD
    CP 1100+
  • azjuwelz
    azjuwelz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually 3 types of players in <50 bgs--the third type are PVE and PVPers leveling new characters quickly and taking advantage of the xp and transmute stone bonuses.

I agree that there's no possible way to scale for the infinite variables. ESPECIALLY since the group finder can't even guarantee 4 players per team!
    Xbox-NA
    Guildmaster of Nightmothers Deadly Deals

PVE/PVP Stamblade: Ylandra Silverthorn
    PVE Magwarden healer: Raw'zl Dah Zel
    PVE DK Tank: Greta Feuerwerk
    PVP StamDK: Helga Feuerwerk
    PVP Necro Healer: Dratha Helbain
    PVE Magcro: Dorian Fey
    PVE Magblade: Arivssa Thaoral
    PVE Magsorc: Eldara Birchwood
  • Toon_Raider
    Toon_Raider
    ✭✭✭
    azjuwelz wrote: »
    Actually 3 types of players in <50 bgs--the third type are PVE and PVPers leveling new characters quickly and taking advantage of the xp and transmute stone bonuses.

I agree that there's no possible way to scale for the infinite variables. ESPECIALLY since the group finder can't even guarantee 4 players per team!

I agree

but it is also nice to beat up on the noobs. pre-mades kill me quick so see, balance.
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Right, been playing since BETA, have 100s of hours in PvP alone, and carry games 9/10 times. Sure. "Uninformed".

Wanna explain how?
    Wanna try to debate how a MagSorc pre-lvl 30 in Daedric Summoning is going to fair again one that's unlocked Ward? Or a Nightblade without cloak? How about a Stam char, any stam char... before unlocking Vigor vs after it.
    What about someone using quest gear and random green-quality world drops vs someone that's spent resources to upgrade gear that they'll just out-level, just so they can beat up newbies?
    How about someone with 300 hours in the game making alts vs someone on their first character stumbling into PvP without basic knowledge of how ability scaling works (because there's still nothing explaining that) vs someone with a proper understanding of it;
    Someone with their stats scattered everywhere and no heal on their bar vs a PvP setup with focused scaling into either Stam or Mag.

There's no arguing this, and you know it. I imagine that's why you just left a snippy little remark rather than actually debating any of my points.
    There are two types of people in <lvl50 PvP: Newbies, and experienced players that can't hack it in endgame and wanna be a big fish in a small pond by beating down the aforementioned newbies. Plain and simple.

Maybe you have hundreds of hours play time in PvP, was any of that time spent in lowbie PvP though? Because if it wasnt, its still perfectly ok to say you are uninformed, since i dont think he was refering to your overall knowledge of the game, but rather to your knowledge about PvP below lvl 50 (which is arguably quite different from other PvP).

So, yes it certainly is unbalanced if you have a player who just bought the game and got to lvl 10, who jumped into PvP as soon as he could, without any sets or proper skills, going up against someone who has been rerolling on lowbie for some time, has gear and has proper skills. On the other hand though, low level PvP is probably the most balanced you can get if u have similarly skilled players with similar gear lvls going up against one another.

The different power curves of different classes are of course relevant when it comes to a fight between to really low lvl newbies who dont have their chars farmed for low level pvp, but at this point you cant seriously suppose that that scenario is gonna happen that often, since by far the majority of low level players right now are rerollers, who mostly level their chars at least somewhat to be able to pvp properly.

In addition to the fact that its pretty unlikely that you really have to inexperienced players facing off against each other, you dont seem to know just how powerful the scaling below level 50 is, since actually a player who is experienced with below lvl 50 PvP would know that the scaling empowers a lower lvl char just so much more than higher lvl chars, which leads to lvl 10 characters arguably being stronger than chars on like lvl 45 on most occasions.
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    People take pre 50 seriously? Aren't we all there for xp farming our new toons?
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

In a perfecr world yes, but some people premade lowbies to dominate.

Just don’t do that and I think things are okay. I feel guilty when I play lowby BGs, anyone with a lot of pvp experience probably feels the same. Just do your daily, or maybe a BG in between skyshard hunting and I don’t see anything wrong with it.

The devs can’t micromanage players too much. As stakeholders in the game I think people should take it upon themselves to give people a place to learn for the overall health of pvp in the game.
    Edited by Iskiab on December 26, 2019 12:24AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm also there to farm proxy det on my magblades :neutral:
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • Alomar
    Alomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wanna explain how?

If you feel the need to list pvp achievements then it's more than likely my use of the word uninformed was spot on. If you don’t know my name, then there’s no point listing mine as in this game alone they are 100x as long and impressive as yours. Refer to Jierdanat’s post to enlighten yourself. To add to that, lowbie bg pvp consists of just as many rerolls/twinks who prefer that style of pvp as it does newer players playing one game a day for their daily. Due to mmr, look into it mate, we play each other constantly. Within the past 4 months we’ve run into hundreds of players and dozens of similar premades; whether it be groups of 2-4. ESO pvp has always had an under 50 pvp community, just because you don’t understand something doesn’t make it epeen hate worthy.
    Haxus Council Member
    Former Havoc Commander
    Former DiE officer
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Idk, if someone brings a twink into lowby BGs I see it as a clear sign that they’re a bad player. Why would someone feel the need to find the weakest opponents possible unless they can’t perform on their main.

I do lowby BGs while leveling and craft a blue training set for level 16 and 36 with white jewellery and just use whatever weapons I get while leveling. You’re better off tanking your gear then twinking yourself, if you twink your gear you’re not going to know how to play your character and get rolled at 50.
    Edited by Iskiab on December 31, 2019 8:22PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only thing I wish zos would do is to make it impossible to bring sub 50 characters to any PvP campaign other than Kyne or sub 50 Battlegrounds. I currently see so many players abusing the broken scaling mechanics making builds/setups that has better stats than a maxed out CP810 character. Either remove the scaling system completely in PvP or ban sub 50's from other places than Kyne or sub 50 BG's.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Only thing I wish zos would do is to make it impossible to bring sub 50 characters to any PvP campaign other than Kyne or sub 50 Battlegrounds. I currently see so many players abusing the broken scaling mechanics making builds/setups that has better stats than a maxed out CP810 character. Either remove the scaling system completely in PvP or ban sub 50's from other places than Kyne or sub 50 BG's.

That’s hilarious, I didn’t know you could even do that.

The assault/support 10 passives are really powerful though, I don’t know how effective it would be.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

The assault/support 10 passives are really powerful though, I don’t know how effective it would be.

The scaling is far more effective than the passives, so it certainly is a general advantage to have the low level scaling, the only downside is that you cant use all the gear you could use on a lvl 50 character, like for example monster sets.
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk, if someone brings a twink into lowby BGs I see it as a clear sign that they’re a bad player. Why would someone feel the need to find the weakest opponents possible unless they can’t perform on their main.

I do lowby BGs while leveling and craft a blue training set for level 16 and 36 with white jewellery and just use whatever weapons I get while leveling. You’re better off tanking your gear then twinking yourself, if you twink your gear you’re not going to know how to play your character and get rolled at 50.

It's mostly because they would rather max out training gear in order to get as much extra xp as you can get. I for example have golden training gear for every 10 lvl for both Stam and mag just because I have played this game for a long time, had a *** ton of goldies stored up and because I want to max out my lvling since I want to minimize my time lvling as much as possible.

And it's also fun as hell to stomp people in pre-50 bgs, sure it's not fair towards others, but as long I can cut of my time lvling I don't care.

It have nothing to do with being a good or bad player, it's just that a lot of people that have lvld +8 chars find it more tedious than fun and want to be as effective as possible.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The scaling is far more effective than the passives, so it certainly is a general advantage to have the low level scaling, the only downside is that you cant use all the gear you could use on a lvl 50 character, like for example monster sets.

Maybe for a DPS, but the support 10 passive is OP for healers.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair