The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What's so great about a load screen?

Shantu
Shantu
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I mean, come on. Nobody wins when players are sitting behind a ubiquitous number of load screens. So here are a few common sense solutions that could cut down on at least few we have to endure:

1. Put a miniature wayshrine in each house. Heck, we know how much you love your Crown store. Sell them if you must. Right now to leave our houses we have to sit behind a load screen...only to run to another wayshrine to sit behind another. Possible load screens eliminated: 1.

2. How many times do players log into the game only to run to a wayshine and wait for another load screen to get where they want to go? So when logging in, give players the option of either logging into the last location or display a map and let us choose a location to log into. Possible load screens eliminated: 1.

3. When doing daily writs in popular places like Vivec, to turn them in we need to sit through 2 load screens (to and back). How about putting Rolis Hlaalu and his little market in every zone and/or major crafting location? Possible load screens eliminated: 2 times the number of writ crafters you have.

4. How many countless times have players had to log a character out, log another character in, put something in the bank, log that character out, and finally log the original character back in...all because we forgot to put a piece of shared gear or weapon in the bank? Instead of storing gear/weapons in a bank, how about a universally accessible "closet" where all gear and weapons are available to all characters at all times? Even if every character shared gear at the same time, you can only play 1 character at a time, so what's the point of locking gear in an inventory? Possible load screens eliminated: 4.

5. Give access to guild stores and banks through our personal banker. Though granted, this is not as big a deal because there are always banks in the zone we're in and the load screens are minor, this is still kind of a time saving no-brainer.

I don't think I've ever met a person in ESO that hasn't complained about the number and length of load screens. Maybe there isn't much to to about the length, but with a little creative thought there are certainly some things that could eliminate the number.
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fully agree with everything you wrote, and I sometimes wonder if the load screens are perhaps there by design.
    Time spent in load screens is time not spent bothering an overcrowded server with trying to play the game...
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shantu wrote: »
    I mean, come on. Nobody wins when players are sitting behind a ubiquitous number of load screens. So here are a few common sense solutions that could cut down on at least few we have to endure:

1. Put a miniature wayshrine in each house. Heck, we know how much you love your Crown store. Sell them if you must. Right now to leave our houses we have to sit behind a load screen...only to run to another wayshrine to sit behind another. Possible load screens eliminated: 1.

2. How many times do players log into the game only to run to a wayshine and wait for another load screen to get where they want to go? So when logging in, give players the option of either logging into the last location or display a map and let us choose a location to log into. Possible load screens eliminated: 1.

3. When doing daily writs in popular places like Vivec, to turn them in we need to sit through 2 load screens (to and back). How about putting Rolis Hlaalu and his little market in every zone and/or major crafting location? Possible load screens eliminated: 2 times the number of writ crafters you have.

4. How many countless times have players had to log a character out, log another character in, put something in the bank, log that character out, and finally log the original character back in...all because we forgot to put a piece of shared gear or weapon in the bank? Instead of storing gear/weapons in a bank, how about a universally accessible "closet" where all gear and weapons are available to all characters at all times? Even if every character shared gear at the same time, you can only play 1 character at a time, so what's the point of locking gear in an inventory? Possible load screens eliminated: 4.

5. Give access to guild stores and banks through our personal banker. Though granted, this is not as big a deal because there are always banks in the zone we're in and the load screens are minor, this is still kind of a time saving no-brainer.

I don't think I've ever met a person in ESO that hasn't complained about the number and length of load screens. Maybe there isn't much to to about the length, but with a little creative thought there are certainly some things that could eliminate the number.

Buy a worthy SSD lol. My loading times take like 3 seconds and don't annoy me at all.
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an SSD. Please do not just assume things. When the server is in a good mood, the loading times don't bother me in the least. However, when the server starts being unresponsive during prime time, the loading times invariably increase to a minute or more, and sometimes they end up being "infinite", making me give up on waiting after several minutes, and instead force quit the client. During these minutes-long load screens, my disk, CPU and network activity is very low, often dropping to zero for several seconds. The client appears to be waiting for information on what to load from local disk, and not getting that information fast enough from the server.

It's definitely a server side problem, at least for me.
  • Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gives you time to get up and grab a snack and a drink.
  • CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭
    You know what, Load Screens are the only thing that works correctly in ESO ... :P
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should at least play some Metallica from the “Load” album. And if you get kicked, play some “Reload.”
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CiliPadi wrote: »
    You know what, Load Screens are the only thing that works correctly in ESO ... :P

They don't, though. How many times have you sat in an interminable load screen only to discover the ground texture still hadn't loaded when you finally get out of it?
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They don't, though. How many times have you sat in an interminable load screen only to discover the ground texture still hadn't loaded when you finally get out of it?

That and the load screen is just a way for the server to dump you at a log in screen not a few times.

I assume they are really proud of the artwork on the load screens, so they want to give you plenty of time to appreciate them as much as they think you ought to.

As far as the suggestions earlier in the thread about making it easier to access stuff on different toons, or that the banker ought to have access to guild stores/banks - people keep assuming that the devs have any interest at all in making the game convenient.
    The corporation assumes that the average player has XX amount of time to play in a given day.
    The more time the player burns up in playing load screens or multiswapping toons to play 'bank swap online' equals less time players have to burn through content, and that means devs are under slightly less pressure to come up with new content as often.
    The game is supposed to use your time, and the more time you 'waste' means the less content you eat during any given play session.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kagukan wrote: »
    Gives you time to get up and grab a snack and a drink.

LOL yup one thing I’ve always thought most mmo’s were missing in PvP is time to get up n go “tinkle” in the middle of combat
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »

Buy a worthy SSD lol. My loading times take like 3 seconds and don't annoy me at all.

I don't have SSD and I've the same time as you in loadscreen :>
    SSD are worthless in this game tbh.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Infixo
    Infixo
    ✭✭
    What? Personal banker doesn’t have access to the guild stores? I have been contemplating buying one, and somehow assumed that it had, like a normal banker. It’s no use then for me, I guess.
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    250 FPS
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My argument is not about the length of load screens (though that does at times suck), it's the NUMBER of them. There are lots of variables that go into determining the length of a load screen at any given time (server performance, computer performance, Internet connection quality, etc.). However, the number of them we have to stare blankly at is, to a degree, a matter of smart development and a little creative thinking.