The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

No more Furniture Managing with storage chests - Bug or feature?

Sturmfaenger
Sturmfaenger
✭✭✭✭✭
If there was furniture I wanted to exclude from housing, I put that into a storage chest. As long as I did not open that storage chest, the furniture in there was not part of the furniture pool. If I decided to make it part of the furniture pool, I went to the chest, openend it and then I could construct with what was in there, too. That was a great and easy way to keep the housing items managable, and also worked well when I decided to redecorate the guild furniture warehouse with just the donated furniture that was intended for auctions, and not my own furniture.

I do not know when the change happened, but I cannot recall that it was announced. Now I can put my furniture in the chests, let them closed, and even remove them from the house completely, and yet the furniture in there shows up in the construction menu. Now if I want to redecorate with only some items (for example guild house furniture) I need not only to empty my bank but also all my storage chests of furniture I own, and I find that extremely annoying.
Is that change a bug? A feature? Is there any way to adjust the furniture pool in any other way? A check mark I have not found, any tricks?
PC/EU
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My honest recommendation would be to get EHT so you can use (among other really nifty tools) the sorting filter.

c8p1snazid4h.png

This allows you to select between all items in all inventories, items only in your current inventory, items only in bank, and items only in storage chests.

Hope this helps you.
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is one reason to get a warehouse house, then you can have the extra furniture in "storage" and move it INTO the storage chests to use it somewhere else.

This is what I did with my Villa interior, made it the Warehouse House of Many Furnitures!
    ;)
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I do not know when the change happened, but I cannot recall that it was announced. Now I can put my furniture in the chests, let them closed, and even remove them from the house completely, and yet the furniture in there shows up in the construction menu. Now if I want to redecorate with only some items (for example guild house furniture) I need not only to empty my bank but also all my storage chests of furniture I own, and I find that extremely annoying.Is that change a bug? A feature? Is there any way to adjust the furniture pool in any other way? A check mark I have not found, any tricks?
    It happened a while ago, so I think it's a feature to stay. I'm running out of storage houses so I personally don't mind being able to see and use Storage Chest furniture. Also, if you have several items of the same type stored in your bank and storage chests, the game will place the ones in your bank first no matter which one you select from the list. But that probably doesn't really help you... :confused: So if you'd like more precise controls, Kittytravel is right in recommending AddOns as a reliable tool.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If there was furniture I wanted to exclude from housing, I put that into a storage chest. As long as I did not open that storage chest, the furniture in there was not part of the furniture pool. If I decided to make it part of the furniture pool, I went to the chest, openend it and then I could construct with what was in there, too. That was a great and easy way to keep the housing items managable, and also worked well when I decided to redecorate the guild furniture warehouse with just the donated furniture that was intended for auctions, and not my own furniture.

I do not know when the change happened, but I cannot recall that it was announced. Now I can put my furniture in the chests, let them closed, and even remove them from the house completely, and yet the furniture in there shows up in the construction menu. Now if I want to redecorate with only some items (for example guild house furniture) I need not only to empty my bank but also all my storage chests of furniture I own, and I find that extremely annoying.
    Is that change a bug? A feature? Is there any way to adjust the furniture pool in any other way? A check mark I have not found, any tricks?

The furnishings in the chests are the only ones with no icon indicating where they are stored.

All the others either have a bag, or a bank, symbol.

So, you can always avoid the items with no icon.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

The furnishings in the chests are the only ones with no icon indicating where they are stored.

Yep. It's easier to avoid the furniture from the Storage Chests, but harder to actually use them if you want to. :lol:

The different locations of the furniture are indeed marked by an icon in the housing editor - Inventory has a Sack, Bank has a Chest, and Storage has nothing. But weirdly, you can't actually choose the Storage Chest furniture if you also have the same item in your Inventory or Bank... even if you mouse over the Storage Chest furniture, and want to use that stack, the game won't place those. :smiley: I mean, it's not gamebreaking or anything, just strange and a little weird.

lqpo0f0jclbs.png
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question I have is.. does the furniture stored in the chest count towards your Item limit?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    The question I have is.. does the furniture stored in the chest count towards your Item limit?

You mean in the house you place the chest in?

If so, no, thankfully. :smile:
    Edited by Tigerseye on November 26, 2019 9:15PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »
    Tigerseye wrote: »

Yep. It's easier to avoid the furniture from the Storage Chests, but harder to actually use them if you want to. :lol:

The different locations of the furniture are indeed marked by an icon in the housing editor - Inventory has a Sack, Bank has a Chest, and Storage has nothing. But weirdly, you can't actually choose the Storage Chest furniture if you also have the same item in your Inventory or Bank... even if you mouse over the Storage Chest furniture, and want to use that stack, the game won't place those. :smiley: I mean, it's not gamebreaking or anything, just strange and a little weird.

lqpo0f0jclbs.png

Yes, very true.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like being able to decorate with items stored in chests without having to actually have the chests opened or even placed. I can see the advantage, though, of how it originally worked, to help filter out items that you didn't want to use while decorating a specific house.

Storage houses are a solution, but then you have to remember what you put in there and retrieve it when you want to use it. I do have a lot of items stored at my Villa, as I haven't gotten around to decorating it yet. But that's largely because I've run out of room in my storage chests and bank, as I have a few sets and other things I'm storing as well.