Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magicka Necromancers

Cirantille
Cirantille
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hello, you there magicka necros:)

I am leveling one, I have a lot of fun in PvE, self heals are great and I am planning to take her to PvP as all my other chars but what do you use as a burst damage?

Stalking bones is quite delayed and I usually destroy these when they start "stalking" me
Ricochet skull could be used I guess
Frozen colossus is nice
Heal is nice
That boneyard is nice to slow them down

But I feel like it is missing that burst "shot" in the face damage
What skills do you use for this?
  • Trinotops
    Trinotops
    ✭✭✭✭
    I run harmony jewelry.

My rotation is usually: Ele Drain > Blast Bones > Block cancel a Vamp Drain > Avid Boneyard Synergy > Vamp Drain

Use a colossus for tankier targets or multiple people. Run shock clench instead of vamp drain if you don't mind running agony totem.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trinotops wrote: »
    I run harmony jewelry.

My rotation is usually: Ele Drain > Blast Bones > Block cancel a Vamp Drain > Avid Boneyard Synergy > Vamp Drain

Use a colossus for tankier targets or multiple people. Run shock clench instead of vamp drain if you don't mind running agony totem.

Aids.
  • Bullseyebudx
    Bullseyebudx
    ✭✭✭
    Cirantille wrote: »
    Hello, you there magicka necros:)

I am leveling one, I have a lot of fun in PvE, self heals are great and I am planning to take her to PvP as all my other chars but what do you use as a burst damage?

Stalking bones is quite delayed and I usually destroy these when they start "stalking" me
    Ricochet skull could be used I guess
    Frozen colossus is nice
    Heal is nice
    That boneyard is nice to slow them down

But I feel like it is missing that burst "shot" in the face damage
    What skills do you use for this?

Unfortunately at the moment the class pretty much has to play a variation of burst combos with a stun that involves as stated above, 1 flex DPS slot, ele drain, blast bones, colossus, and vamp drain.

I tested out the attrition based style I used last patch, no stun, and I consistently lost to tanky players without exception, both as a tank and DPS.
    It genuinely feels like you're pretty much forced into using a stun as your "burst shot" this patch which can be frustrating.
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My bar is skull - blast bones - ele drain (mage light if in group) - vamp stun (grave grasp if in group) Degen for the dot and i can use armor or sustain pots, or flame reach but forced to used spell power pot, skel mage is an alternative but it isnt worth using unfortunately. And I would love to use it, but its just so bad. Combo: ele drain > degen > blastbones > LA > vamp stun > skull. Ani cancel stun and use ult.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    I run harmony jewelry.

Aids.

How can one of the worst, if not the worst, PVP classes be "aids". Sheesh.

Blastbones doesn't function half the time.

Boneyard synergy does not do damage a third of the time due to a bug, but still keeps that juicy 20 second cooldown.
  • Bullseyebudx
    Bullseyebudx
    ✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    Aids.

Boneyard synergy does not do damage a third of the time due to a bug, but still keeps that juicy 20 second cooldown.

I think that comment might be aimed at the group "Synergy Bomb Combo" side of the build which runs harmony jewelry.

With a stun on impact included, which is why I'm assuming totem isn't stun on impact because it's an AoE effect; it's particularly effective because it's basically a forced insta kill combo to the point where most players are going to die.

When paired with 1 other coordinated player the burst damage can be a little ridiculous to be honest.

What really puts this combo over the top though, at least I think, is Vicious Death, which might not be blatantly obvious or agreeable.

The synergy bomb combo is over performing, but in order to improve the solo side most changes to the class would benefit bomb combo over solo so they'd likely be reverted.

Maybe they'll look at adjusting the harmony trait instead.

Can't remember if it already saw an adjustment after release but I'd rather see it utilized as a supplement to build design instead of something you're triple slotting just to go and hit synergies.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I run harmony jewelry.

So is Vamp Drain your spammable then?
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    Aids.

I think that comment might be aimed at the group "Synergy Bomb Combo" side of the build which runs harmony jewelry.

With a stun on impact included, which is why I'm assuming totem isn't stun on impact because it's an AoE effect; it's particularly effective because it's basically a forced insta kill combo to the point where most players are going to die.

When paired with 1 other coordinated player the burst damage can be a little ridiculous to be honest.

What really puts this combo over the top though, at least I think, is Vicious Death, which might not be blatantly obvious or agreeable.

The synergy bomb combo is over performing, but in order to improve the solo side most changes to the class would benefit bomb combo over solo so they'd likely be reverted.

Maybe they'll look at adjusting the harmony trait instead.

Can't remember if it already saw an adjustment after release but I'd rather see it utilized as a supplement to build design instead of something you're triple slotting just to go and hit synergies.

Group "Synergy Bomb Combo" is not necro specific. It is a harmony trait and zerg issue.

Granted a Necro can try to solo bomb with harmony, but talk about niche and less than optimal compared to the old magblade bomb builds with cloak and shades. The boneyard synergy may or may not actually do damage due to a bug, you are dependent on stealth potions, no easy access to speed or escape.

Cordinated play with 1 or more players, yeah, you are going to clean house. With any playstyle. Period. Coordination, expereinced pre-mades, whatever, is impossible to nerf and an overwhelming advantage when facing uncoordinated, less experienced players.
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I theory crafted a pvp necro build that I think will work quite well. I don't have Necro on live but I tested it on PTS and it looks promising.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=191372

The concept I went with is to "play around" the necro clunky skills which are very hard for burst with due to the perfect timing required for a successful combo. On the other hand, I tried the emphasize some of the necro unique aspects which mostly comes from the class's strong passives .

This build is about being in the opponent face and apply constant pressure. Your sets will apply ~45k damage over 8 sec duration which is stronger than what you can get from a combination of dot skills ATM. You also have ~20k spell pen with Elemental drain, Charged staff + force pulse and all your other elemental damage sources, you get very high up time for all status effects(poison and despise included).

The necro Armor skill really helps to keep the opponent close . You apply like 10 negative effects in 2 sec, even the Templar will have hard time to keep up. Notice the stamina version of blastbones, we don't care about the damage of the skill, nor the timing it will land , we just want the constant debuff. The secret to heavy dot build is to take away the opponent chance to recover, the combination of minor and major defile with 20k pen, does exactly that.

The offensive stats of this build suck, you don't care because you proc sets will not scale with any of them and will not crit. That's why this build mostly focuses on penetration and damage multipliers and sustain.

On the defensive side we have potentates, Thurvokun's and BPR. Healing Ward+resist flash , very strong combo.
    For ulti you can go either with Goliath /Frozen Colossus. Goliath goes well with the "in your face" play style and potentates makes the cost more reasonable.

If played in a group and you don't need Thurvokun's, Skoria is a great way to add more damage(for solo Thurvokun's is better).
    Elemental drain can be replaced with Unnerving Boneyard and Blighted Blastbones is also flexible.

On front bar go with " escapist poison"(the version that apply poison dmg ass well) to proc the poisonous status effect.
    For potion - probably the potion that restore magicka, stamina and ulti regen. Stealth+ speed potion for running away(movement is the build greatest weakness).
    Edited by Lughlongarm on November 25, 2019 10:00PM
  • Bullseyebudx
    Bullseyebudx
    ✭✭✭
    I theory crafted a pvp necro build that I think will work quite well. I don't have Necro on live but I tested it on PTS and it looks promising.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=191372

The concept I went with is to "play around" the necro clunky skills which are very hard for burst with due to the perfect timing required for a successful combo. On the other hand, I tried the emphasize some of the necro unique aspects which mostly comes from the class's strong passives .

This build is about being in the opponent face and apply constant pressure. Your sets will apply ~45k damage over 8 sec duration which is stronger than what you can get from a combination of dot skills ATM. You also have ~20k spell pen with Elemental drain, Charged staff + force pulse and all your other elemental damage sources, you get very high up time for all status effects(poison and despise included).

The necro Armor skill really helps to keep the opponent close . You apply like 10 negative effects in 2 sec, even the Templar will have hard time to keep up. Notice the stamina version of blastbones, we don't care about the damage of the skill, nor the timing it will land , we just want the constant debuff. The secret to heavy dot build is to take away the opponent chance to recover, the combination of minor and major defile with 20k pen, does exactly that.

The offensive stats of this build suck, you don't care because you proc sets will not scale with any of them and will not crit. That's why this build mostly focuses on penetration and damage multipliers and sustain.

On the defensive side we have potentates, Thurvokun's and BPR. Healing Ward+resist flash , very strong combo.
    For ulti you can go either with Goliath /Frozen Colossus. Goliath goes well with the "in your face" play style and potentates makes the cost more reasonable.

If played in a group and you don't need Thurvokun's, Skoria is a great way to add more damage(for solo Thurvokun's is better).
    Elemental drain can be replaced with Unnerving Boneyard and Blighted Blastbones is also flexible.

On front bar go with " escapist poison"(the version that apply poison dmg ass well) to proc the poisonous status effect.
    For potion - probably the potion that restore magicka, stamina and ulti regen. Stealth+ speed potion for running away(movement is the build greatest weakness).

I like the build dude!

Thurvokun and Skoria are the two I've switched over to, after experimenting live, extra health has great synergy with Necro.

I've tested the beckoning armor live without Thurvokun and it was okay so I'm expecting it to be excellent with Thurvokun just haven't had a chance to test live.
    Very effective way to deal with Nightblades lulul.

You can go the Blightbones route too, I've tested that live, but Blastbones actually puts out a lot of damage when he does hit so there's a trade off.

I think I might stick with Blastbones and rely on Thurvokun to provide minor defile.

I use Blightbones when I'm healing or tanking in Cyrodiil though.

• Unified_Gaming
    Unified_Gaming
    ✭✭✭✭
    I run this with great success

https://youtu.be/vgZTpuS-pik
    Unified Gaming - creating a shared and Unified Gaming community.

For some of the best and most up to date PVP builds around or useful tips and tricks from an experienced player for PvP and PvE, then check out my channel and consider subscribing if you want to see regular ESO content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCorbta-fAHKJcxJ6ExbtPwg/
  • seitekisaki
    seitekisaki
    ✭✭✭
    Right now I'm running 2 pc Molag with 5 Sun and 5 Swift. Using: Ric Skull-Flame Clench-Degen-BlastB-EleDrain and Eye of Storm. with SumArmor-ResistFlesh-DeadenPain-RAT-SpiritGuard and Ravenous

I just don't have blood spawn yet is why. my only other completed 2 pc is Shadowrend, but I survive okay or even great sometimes because of Deaden Pain, Spirit Guardian, and Swift. Also Shooting Star probably better ult.

My burst rotation is Ricochet up to 3rd count for extra damage. So I would Blast Bones, Ult, Clench, then Ricochet.

The Swift seems to go nicely with Spirit Guardian. I'm only guessing Spirit Guardian adds on to mitigation differently, at least it feels that way and Deaden Pain is for when you're about to receive more damage. I would heal then pop Spirit Guardian and Armor for the corpses then Deaden and heal again.

BTW if anyone can explain to me how Spirit Guardian works with te mitigation calculator that would be nice. :)
    Edited by seitekisaki on November 25, 2019 11:22PM
  • Bullseyebudx
    Bullseyebudx
    ✭✭✭
    Right now I'm running 2 pc Molag with 5 Sun and 5 Swift. Using: Ric Skull-Flame Clench-Degen-BlastB-EleDrain and Eye of Storm. with SumArmor-ResistFlesh-DeadenPain-RAT-SpiritGuard and Ravenous

I just don't have blood spawn yet is why. my only other completed 2 pc is Shadowrend, but I survive okay or even great sometimes because of Deaden Pain, Spirit Guardian, and Swift.

My burst rotation is Ricochet up to 3rd count for extra damage. So I would Blast Bones, Ult, Clench, then Ricochet.

The Swift seems to go nicely with Spirit Guardian. I'm only guessing Spirit Guardian adds on to mitigation differently, at least it feels that way and Deaden Pain is for when you're about to receive more damage. I would heal then pop Spirit Guardian and Armor for the corpses then Deaden and heal again.

BTW if anyone can explain to me how Spirit Guardian works with te mitigation calculator that would be nice. :)

There’s a thread somewhere on the combat forums that has the mitigation formula and damage calculation, correct me if I’m wrong; damage reduction effects are assessed either before or after the mitigation calculatIons which is what makes them effective.

I think it’s off the top though, so before any calculations damage reduction effects are assessed first.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I just don't have blood spawn yet is why. my only other completed 2 pc is Shadowrend, but I survive okay or even great sometimes because of Deaden Pain, Spirit Guardian, and Swift.

There’s a thread somewhere on the combat forums that has the mitigation formula and damage calculation, correct me if I’m wrong; damage reduction effects are assessed either before or after the mitigation calculatIons which is what makes them effective.

I think it’s off the top though, so before any calculations damage reduction effects are assessed first.

I never saw the final results of the guy who was testing everything, best way to look at it is you’ll take 8% less damage.

Tricky part is figuring out the sweet spot based on your race and the abilities you’re using. You want enough mitigation to survive most burst combos, sustain and better healing and damage. I’m finding race even makes a large difference; I made a new character using the same abilities and gear with the only difference being race, I noticed a large difference in effectiveness.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

I never saw the final results of the guy who was testing everything, best way to look at it is you’ll take 8% less damage.

Tricky part is figuring out the sweet spot based on your race and the abilities you’re using. You want enough mitigation to survive most burst combos, sustain and better healing and damage. I’m finding race even makes a large difference; I made a new character using the same abilities and gear with the only difference being race, I noticed a large difference in effectiveness.

Racial passives essentially equate to an additional set. Some sets are better than others
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds