The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Changing Class

gunsofdeschain
gunsofdeschain
✭✭✭
Hey,

I know its way too early to be asking this question, but do you anticipate that with some future expansion down a few years, when a new class or even a race is introduced, would we perhaps have an opportunity to change our race and class for a price an/or do a bit of character re-customisation.

The reason I ask this is, since this game is designed to be experienced with one single character, you are likely to get bored with how he/she looks after a year or so and might want some change.

What are your thoughts?
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't give them ideas for a cash shop!
    Options
  • Dreamo84
    Dreamo84
    ✭✭✭
    Anything is possible. But if they did that I would rather they just let you use all the class skills. Restrict them to only be used without any other class's skills on your bar if that becomes the issue.
    Dream it, wish it, do it... or something...
    Options
  • StonedAlex
    StonedAlex
    Soul Shriven
    I hope they add in a barber shop and some way to change appearance at some point. I kinda wanted to make a character with a lot of war paint and maybe a mohawk, but I don't want to pour hundreds of hours in to a character and end up hating the way it looks.
    Options
  • 7788b14_ESO
    7788b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Like an image designer.
    Options
  • FrauPerchta
    FrauPerchta
    ✭✭✭
    If you are so unhappy with your character you think it needs to change class then you should probably roll a new character.

Although there have a few MMOs that allowed a class change.
    Options
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At max level (Vet 10) you no longer get exp and therefore (which I hope they change) you can no longer level up non crafting skill lines.

When you re-spec, and pick different skills, you are nerfing yourself as they stay at L1 and will never level them up to be able to morf. If they added an option to change class and you were max level..... It would not be very useful currently.

But adding an option to 'redo' your looks. That would be helpful
    Options
  • gunsofdeschain
    gunsofdeschain
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I agree, a barber shop / model customisation would be nice. Atm, my woodelf looks horribly short in comparison to everything else in-game.
    Options
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I agree, a barber shop / model customisation would be nice. Atm, my woodelf looks horribly short in comparison to everything else in-game.

I made an extremely tall Altmer female. She looks like a spaghetti monster and i was forced to reroll a dunmer male :)

Barber for looks is always nice + a cashdump. They should go wow route though, not SWtor route.
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!
    Options
  • Jynai
    Jynai
    I agree with character customizations, I've also made a character that didn't turn out like I thought it would, being able to fix that would be nice.

EDIT: Regarding class change, I think that would be best left for re-rolls, don't really have anything against it, but it would give reason to make more characters (everyone is different, people need different things to be motivated)
    Edited by Jynai on April 16, 2014 12:15PM
    Options
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason I ask this is, since this game is designed to be experienced with one single character

Nope.

If the game were meant to be experienced with just one character, classes wouldn't have unique skill sets, and you'd be able to master every craft on one character without sacrificing combat skills.
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    since this game is designed to be experienced with one single character

If this was true, we wouldn't have 8 character slots.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
    Options
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classes? What classes?? This game has classes?!
    Options
  • Jynai
    Jynai
    mutharex wrote: »
    Classes? What classes?? This game has classes?!
    Hit "K" and READ the CLASS category. Yes there are classes.

Options
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh you mean those 'archetype' put there to help people who don't know TES games or are very lazy? Gotcha
    Options
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inversus wrote: »
    since this game is designed to be experienced with one single character

If this was true, we wouldn't have 8 character slots.

He thought he was posting in FFXIV forums, evidently...
    Options
  • Jynai
    Jynai
    Oh you mean those 'archetype' put there to help people who don't know TES games or are very lazy? Gotcha

Don't get your point, you asked If there are classes, I pointed to where it says classes, and now you're renaming it to...what purpose exactly? I'm assuming you're trying to say something here, but I don't get ya.
    Options
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure you don't, but don't worry, that's exactly my point!
    Options
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭

I found the "classes" a little lacking myself.

Options
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gohlar wrote: »

I wish they didn't put "any"
    Options
  • fougerec99b16_ESO
    fougerec99b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Gohlar wrote: »

That's sort an Elder Scrolls thing. Classes (which existed in all games prior to Skyrim) are meant to be a rough outline more than anything. It's your skills and your race that determines things more than anything. I think that the only reason the four classes in ESO exist at all is cater to the conventional MMO player.
    Options
  • Kyotee0071
    Kyotee0071
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure they would allow you to "purchase the ability to swap class".

With that said I would love to have Necromancer abilities added as a class skill line overall for all classes. It would fit into the lore and I am fighting necromancers in PVE now anyhow. Every time they summon a skeleton and say "attack him now" I'm like dayum - I want to play that style of caster.
    I didn't think my hangover was that bad this morning until I spent 10 minutes trying to log into my old Etch-A-Sketch

Options
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Like an image designer.

Props for the SWG reference.
    Options
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    The reason I ask this is, since this game is designed to be experienced with one single character

Nope.

If the game were meant to be experienced with just one character, classes wouldn't have unique skill sets, and you'd be able to master every craft on one character without sacrificing combat skills.

Actually if you spend enough time you can.
    You need around ~120 SP to master every craft.
    This means respeccing after you did all research and only put points in the actual crafting skill and increased effect on upgrade items.

Seing as there are ~360 sp in the game you can do it all.
    I think classes are mainly there to prevent OP stuff in both pve and pvp. If you could chose from every line youd have some pretty OP combinations possible.
    You could make full CC bots for pvp for example capable of disabling people for 40 seconds.
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!
    Options
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    At max level (Vet 10) you no longer get exp and therefore (which I hope they change) you can no longer level up non crafting skill lines.

Is that true live? Is anyone Vet10 yet? I mean we already know you can get to at least Vet12 with Craglorn so it's a temporary issue regardless. But that's interesting if still true.
    Options
  • Jynai
    Jynai
    Shimond wrote: »
    Natjur wrote: »

Is that true live? Is anyone Vet10 yet? I mean we already know you can get to at least Vet12 with Craglorn so it's a temporary issue regardless. But that's interesting if still true.

I'd like to say that's not true, but I'm not anywhere near that level so don't know for a fact.
    However, the reason I think it's not true is because I had my skills level up and increase in rank without gaining a level, meaning that as you use that ability, it will gain exp. Otherwise, it definitely needs to change, not being able to level other skills when you hit max is bad...very bad.

Options