The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Error 318... EVERY SINGLE DAY

lagrue
lagrue
✭✭✭✭✭
For the last month, since Witch's Festival started, I've been plagued with Error 318 every single day.

"You have been dropped from the server because you hit the message rare limit. Please avoid excessive messaging (i.e. spamming.)

But here's the thing... I haven't messaged anybody. I haven't put text in zone chat, I haven't written a single thing. I haven't sat here spamming buttons or anything. I don't understand why this keeps happening.

I'm sick of losing out on crafting nodes, chests, coming back to the game dead because the game logs me out mid-fight - all because i'm being flagged as spamming when I've done nothing at all.

Either this game is throwing false errors, or some issue on ZOS end causes this. Incredibly frustrating.
Edited by lagrue on November 18, 2019 3:26PM
PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
*GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This happens on PC quite frequently due to addons. But I see you're on console. Odd.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    This happens on PC quite frequently due to addons. But I see you're on console. Odd.

Yup, happens on PS4 to me :( very frustrating. You can always tell when it's about to happen because every NPC in the game world freezes in place, nodes become unharvestable - then 30 seconds later you get booted.
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

• ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    On consoles the error 318 can happen because of latency issues or using non-standard controllers. You can find troubleshooting for this error in our help article below.

What should I do if I receive "Error 318" on console?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lagrue wrote: »

Yup, happens on PS4 to me :( very frustrating. You can always tell when it's about to happen because every NPC in the game world freezes in place, nodes become unharvestable - then 30 seconds later you get booted.

If everything seems to freeze, then it's most likely an issue with your internet connection. In simple terms, every move you make results in packets being sent to the ESO server. If those packets get hung up in transit, or the console requeues and retries them because of packet loss/connection issues, when the connection is finally restored they all hit the server at once, triggering server-side rate limiting and then you get dropped for "spamming" (The term "Messages" in the 318 warning probably refers to server TCP/IP requests in this instance, not actual chat messages - and that freeze you experience is an indicator that packets you're sending/receiving from the ESO server have temporarily stopped flowing)

I used to see this from time to time on my PS4 when I was using WiFi and when my ISP was also having occasional latency/packet loss issues. They fixed their network, I ran ethernet to my PS4, and haven't had any trouble since. If you're on WiFi I'd recommend checking to make sure you have no interference and that your bandwidth/speed is good, and then also check your ISP & router via ethernet for speeds, packet loss etc.
    PS4NA
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dotme wrote: »

If everything seems to freeze, then it's most likely an issue with your internet connection. In simple terms, every move you make results in packets being sent to the ESO server. If those packets get hung up in transit, or the console requeues and retries them because of packet loss/connection issues, when the connection is finally restored they all hit the server at once, triggering server-side rate limiting and then you get dropped for "spamming" (The term "Messages" in the 318 warning probably refers to server TCP/IP requests in this instance, not actual chat messages - and that freeze you experience is an indicator that packets you're sending/receiving from the ESO server have temporarily stopped flowing)

I used to see this from time to time on my PS4 when I was using WiFi and when my ISP was also having occasional latency/packet loss issues. They fixed their network, I ran ethernet to my PS4, and haven't had any trouble since. If you're on WiFi I'd recommend checking to make sure you have no interference and that your bandwidth/speed is good, and then also check your ISP & router via ethernet for speeds, packet loss etc.

Well I use ethernet, but I guess my internet could have been playing up. Just strange for 4 years or so it's been fine and the last month it's happening every day. :(

I'm also not using an offbrand controller and the help article just told me how to check my connection as though I don't know how -_-
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

• redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    But here's the thing... I haven't messaged anybody.

Due to the latency, when you push buttons multiple times (in frustration, usually, because the game isn't working as it should) the system will take that as spamming...
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I use ethernet, but I guess my internet could have been playing up. Just strange for 4 years or so it's been fine and the last month it's happening every day. :(
    You could try a new cat5 cable just to rule out a bad connection, perform a router reboot, maybe router factory reset (drastic, but in come cases routers can get a little corrupted over time and setting back up as new can fix issues). If you have a PC hardwired, you could run a lengthy ping test too with a tool like Pingplotter to see over time if your ISP is dropping randomly. Random drops when streaming video etc can go unnoticed because of local client buffering but gaming is a different animal and needs that constant connectivity. Reboot any switches between the PS4 and router too maybe.

Hope you get it worked out

PS4NA