The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Bound Armaments Question

Doombug
Doombug
✭✭
Bound Armaments
Cast Time: Instant
Target: Self
Range: Maximum range: 28 meters
Cost: 2295 Stamina
Skill description
Arm yourself with the power of Oblivion for 40 seconds, causing your Light and Heavy Attacks to summon a Bound weapon for 10 seconds, up to 4 times. You can reactivate the ability for half cost to arm the weapons, causing them to strike your target for 381 Physical Damage every 0.3 seconds. While slotted, your Maximum Stamina is increased by 8% and Light Attack damage is increased by 10%.
New effect
Converts into a Stamina ability and increases your damage done with Light Attacks. Light and Heavy attacks summon Bound weapons that can be used to attack your current target. No longer grants block mitigation.

Now when I read the skill description it seems to me that after casting it the first time and building up the 4 bound weapons then reactivating the ability would cause the weapons to attack the target ever 0.3 seconds until the ability duration runs out. As in they'd keep attacking the target over and over every 0.3 seconds instead of only attacking once.

Instead, when you reactivate the ability you banish the bound weapons at the enemy, they strike them causing damage(nice animation btw) then vanish instead of attacking every 0.3 seconds. So am I simply an idiot not understanding what is being said in the skill description or is the description wrong or is the skill not working correctly??? Help a confused StamSorc out before I end up playing my StamBlade or StamDen instead.

Edited by Doombug on November 8, 2019 10:41PM
"If fighting doesn't solve your problems, you simply haven't killed enough people yet"
"learn the countless steps to life's silent symphony"
  • Aisleyne
    Aisleyne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is happening is that one of each of the daggers you've built up is hitting every 0.3 seconds when you fire them off (max of four at a time obviously). Then when you can continue building them and activating for the duration of the buff.
  • Doombug
    Doombug
    ✭✭
    except when I tested it on a training dummy they only did damage once I did nothing but activate bound armaments and light attacks and I only reactivated the skill once when I had 4 daggers, 2crits, and 2 normal hits as in each dagger hit once.no other damage from the skill at all so they sure weren't hitting it every 0.3 seconds
    "If fighting doesn't solve your problems, you simply haven't killed enough people yet"
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doombug wrote: »
    except when I tested it on a training dummy they only did damage once I did nothing but activate bound armaments and light attacks and I only reactivated the skill once when I had 4 daggers, 2crits, and 2 normal hits as in each dagger hit once.no other damage from the skill at all so they sure weren't hitting it every 0.3 seconds

That is the way the skill works. Think of it like relentless focus but instead of 1 big tick of damage, you get 4 smaller ticks.
  • Aisleyne
    Aisleyne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, each dagger you built up hits one time. The 0.3 is saying that they are spaced out at that rate: one hits, 0.3s later the second hits, 0.3s later the third hits, 0.3s later the fourth hits.
    Edited by Aisleyne on November 8, 2019 11:24PM
  • Doombug
    Doombug
    ✭✭
    Nowhere in the Relentless Focus tooltip does it say anything about causing damage every 0.whatever seconds. It clearly states that after building up 5 charges you can use the skill once to fire an arrow. Now if the bound armaments tooltip is changed to say something like

" You can reactivate the ability for half cost to arm the weapons, causing them to strike your target for 381 Physical Damage each"

and remove "every 0.3 seconds" then I'd agree with you but at the moment from my own confused understanding and the tooltip they aren't supposed to work the same way as Relentless Focus
  • Doombug
    Doombug
    ✭✭
    Aisleyne wrote: »
    Yes, each dagger you built up hits one time. The 0.3 is saying that they are spaced out at that rate: one hits, 0.3s later the second hits, 0.3s later the third hits, 0.3s later the fourth hits.

ohhh okay, that does make sense, sucks tho that's much less useful

I had hoped and thought that it'd work the like the Morkuldin armor set
    When you deal damage with a Light or Heavy Attack, you have a 10% chance to summon an animated weapon to attack your enemies for 15 seconds. The animated weapon's basic attacks deal 4108 Physical Damage.

but I suppose that would have been to overpowered. Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding you 2.
    Edited by Doombug on November 8, 2019 11:31PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nowhere in the Relentless Focus tooltip does it say anything about causing damage every 0.whatever seconds. It clearly states that after building up 5 charges you can use the skill once to fire an arrow.

Yeah, that's the difference between Relentless Focus and Bound Armaments. RF requires you have a full 5 charges to use, and then ticks once. BA charges to 4 daggers, but you can fire it whenever you feel like.

The abilities are similar to each other, but they are distinct.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nowhere in the Relentless Focus tooltip does it say anything about causing damage every 0.whatever seconds. It clearly states that after building up 5 charges you can use the skill once to fire an arrow.

Yeah, that's the difference between Relentless Focus and Bound Armaments. RF requires you have a full 5 charges to use, and then ticks once. BA charges to 4 daggers, but you can fire it whenever you feel like.

i mean, you can just shoot out one dagger at a time, like you say but it is going to cost you the same amount of stam as though you had shot 4 out, so it it only really makes sense to use it when you have 4 daggers "charged".

Nowhere in the Relentless Focus tooltip does it say anything about causing damage every 0.whatever seconds. It clearly states that after building up 5 charges you can use the skill once to fire an arrow. Now if the bound armaments tooltip is changed to say something like

" You can reactivate the ability for half cost to arm the weapons, causing them to strike your target for 381 Physical Damage each"

and remove "every 0.3 seconds" then I'd agree with you but at the moment from my own confused understanding and the tooltip they aren't supposed to work the same way as Relentless Focus

the tooltip for relentless focus doesnt say that because relentless focus is a single hit, with BA, you have 4 daggers that hit every .3 seconds for 1.2 seconds. i mean, this is pretty simple stuff, not really sure what you having trouble with.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »

i mean, you can just shoot out one dagger at a time, like you say but it is going to cost you the same amount of stam as though you had shot 4 out, so it it only really makes sense to use it when you have 4 daggers "charged".

Correct. Usually the only reason to fire it early is if you're going to waste the charges anyway. Though, it can be situationally useful to get a ranged attack off of your melee bar.

The ability to fire it on partial charges is unique to BA. It's not, generally a good idea. But, you cannot do that with Relentless.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »

Correct. Usually the only reason to fire it early is if you're going to waste the charges anyway. Though, it can be situationally useful to get a ranged attack off of your melee bar.

The ability to fire it on partial charges is unique to BA. It's not, generally a good idea. But, you cannot do that with Relentless.

i was only using relentless focus as an example, seeing as how it is the closest skill the game to BA, we could much deeper then just the fact you can use BA partially( relentless can give you 10% mitagation, BA you get 8% stam, etc, etc) but i was focusing on the similaritys. they are more similar then you are letting on.
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah not a good idea to do it intentionally, but when it happens on accident, it's not bad at all. This skill beats relentless focus to pieces if you tend to miss a light attack once in a while.

Oh and it buffs the stamina pool, yeah that too.

Oh and it buffs light attack damage, that too.........
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah not a good idea to do it intentionally, but when it happens on accident, it's not bad at all. This skill beats relentless focus to pieces if you tend to miss a light attack once in a while.

Oh and it buffs the stamina pool, yeah that too.

Oh and it buffs light attack damage, that too.........

Yep, it's a solid ability.