Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Crafting & Trading Questions

Vanchatron
Vanchatron
✭✭
I am currently level 18, and playing as an Orc Nightblade. I wear Medium armour, and dual wield either Swords or Daggers, depending on what I find as loot.

I have some questions:

- I haven't invested any skill points into crafting yet, as I'm not sure whether it will gimp my character combat wise. Will this be the case if I invest some skill points into crafting? Basically, what I mean is if I invest skill points into crafting, does that mean my character will be weaker than if I had invested those skill points into combat abilities instead, whether they be passive/active. Or are there more than enough skill points in the game to include crafting aswell?

- As a Nightblade, what would be the best crafting profession to focus on? I heard somewhere that if you want to have a powerful character at max level, then you really just want to invest in the ONE crafting profession as it frees up skill points for other things. If this is the case, can you recommend me a crafting profession to focus on? I was trying to decide between Blacksmithing and Clothing, as Blacksmithing can help with my weapons, and Clothing can help with my armour. I just don't know which I would get more benefits from.

- In regards to general trading, is there a way to find out how much everything is worth to other players? My bank and inventory are full of things that I have no idea of their worth. I never know whether to sell an item to a vendor, or try to sell it to another player. Maybe there's an addon that can help with this, I don't know. I'm just finding it a little harder than usual to work out how much everything is worth, due to the lack of an Auction House, which is what I'd have used in the past to check.

Thanks guys.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    More than enough skillpoints to have a fully capable combat character and several crafting professions if you choose. You might have to get more skyshards or do more other things, but there are over 300 skillpoints and you will probably get everything you could want with half that amount.
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    1.) There are about 320 skill points in the game right now. Not investing in crafting will hurt you in the long run, IMHO.

2.) Investing skill points in what you use is best, IMHO. The Devs have stated that you should be able master two crafting trees without "gimping" your character.

3.) The game economy is still in post-launch flux but the best ways to find prices are by joining a few guilds that have stores and by watching zone chat. In my experience things are cheaper in zone chat than in the guild stores because of the gold sink built into the stores.
    Edited by Lazarus_Long on April 15, 2014 8:43PM
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • Vanchatron
    Vanchatron
    ✭✭
    OK that's great, takes a lot off my mind in regards to planning.

Any idea on a decent crafting build or two for Nightblades?
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    OK that's great, takes a lot off my mind in regards to planning.

Any idea on a decent crafting build or two for Nightblades?

I would always suggest that weapons are key. You generally get reasonable armour from quest rewards and drops, but your prefered choice of weapon can be few and far between. As such, I'd focus on woodworking or blacksmithing (depending on your weapon of choice). After that I'd say enchanting if you can handle the stress.

I'm trying to work all trades until it becomes clear that it isn't feasible (which has yet to happen).
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    Im only lvl 42, havent even started the 5th area for my faction, and I have enough skill points already to fully invest into clothing, woodworking, a few misc points into the other professions, plus have all of my class skills that I need and have points invested into both resto and destro staff. Trust me, there is more than enough to go around.