The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why not unlink alliance from individual characters, allowing all alts to be played?

• InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be best if it didn't matter to which alliance your character belongs when entering Cyrodill. If you chose AD for the next month then all of your characters should be able to play for AD during this month, whether they are EP or DC.

Or make faction lock last just 8 hours. That way noone will swap sides during one playing session. One day I fight for AD with my AD chars and the next day I fight for EP with my EP chars. Or I play only AD/EP/DC for how long I want. That way we prevent "cheating" while still allowing peoplle to play with all of their characters and friends. Problem solved.
  • stamdammered
    stamdammered
    ✭✭
    Big fan of this idea.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    Okay, more reasons such as...?

You're still locking people into a single alliance, so all the problems that come with that (If I pick AD, I can't play with DC friends; If all the bandwagon hoppers join my alliance and gate-camp the other two, I'm stuck playing with them and can't leave; If I play late-night and it's 3 bars vs 1 vs 1, I'm screwed for a month, etc.) are still there.

When a new campaign starts how do these “hoppers” know which faction to join? Honest question, I’m new to Cyro.

Also, you want to join the loosing faction for what reason? A single person won’t change anything. The only reason I can think of is that you know people on your old faction and you know their weakness/pattern/strategy and you want to foil them.

It's just an assumption that people hop to what is perceived to be the dominant campaign. I question just how many people do this, but that is what a lot of people seem to think happens.

I want to join the "losing" faction because I find it a lot more enjoyable defending against hordes of mediocre players than helping them. As an analogy, if I go to my local YMCA to play basketball, I'm not going to join the team that keeps winning 11-3, 11-4, etc., because they don;t need my help and it makes the whole environment less competitive.

Good, come join me on DC on XNA, I was one of 3 people trying to defend a gate against 20 reds the other day.
  • evoniee
    evoniee
    ✭✭✭✭
    devs wooshed
  • Dreyloch
    Dreyloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be best if it didn't matter to which alliance your character belongs when entering Cyrodill. If you chose AD for the next month then all of your characters should be able to play for AD during this month, whether they are EP or DC.

Or make faction lock last just 8 hours. That way noone will swap sides during one playing session. One day I fight for AD with my AD chars and the next day I fight for EP with my EP chars. Or I play only AD/EP/DC for how long I want. That way we prevent "cheating" while still allowing peoplle to play with all of their characters and friends. Problem solved.

Bolded that part cause it's the best solution I have heard. Being able to play all my toons for any faction would be great. Yes, that might still be AD one month, then Dc the next etc. But I would be able to play with friends from everywhere. On all the factions. Leave the lock for the month. Just let us play "All" our toons on it.

I think this could lead to some new guilds or even old ones getting new players in the ranks to make better battles. There is a shortage of really good leaders. Now they could recruit good players from all over the factions? Am I being too optimistic?

Edit" Dunno why I'm such a noob lol. The OP produced this concept. Credit to them. But still a wonderful idea imo!
    Edited by Dreyloch on October 14, 2019 4:03PM
    "The fear of Death, is often worse than death itself"
  • Dreyloch
    Dreyloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marcus684 wrote: »
    As a pro-faction locker, this seems like a good compromise. It would still cut down on the faction hopping to grief, troll and exploit, but allow everyone to PvP with all of their toons. It would be strange seeing some well-known opponents fighting by my side, and vice versa, but it is just a game.

I would find it strange too. But it'd be like having a team mate on a pro-football team get traded and having to play against them. There's still respect, but just playing on another team. Or getting to know a long time rival. You always see these guys at the end of a game talking and chatting, handshaking, hugging..lol. That's real sportsmanship. This game used to have some of that between the really good guilds. Now it's a lost concept because of people taking things way too seriously and actually hating another faction. Regardless of who is on it. Be it a former guildmate or RL friend =/
  • MipMip
    MipMip
    ✭✭✭✭
    Being able to play alts that are on other alliances would be nice, but in my opinion it is less important than

- being able to group up with with friends flexibly (much more important than playing all my characters)
    - playing where we can find the best fights (generally the underdog faction)

So keeping faction lock but allowing all alts to be played on one faction wouldn't solve the main problems caused by faction locks.
    PC EU ∙ PC NA

'My only complaint about ball groups is that there aren't enough of them. Moar Balls.'
    - Vilestride
  • MipMip
    MipMip
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marcus684 wrote: »
    I look at it through the lens of human nature. People play games to have fun, and winning is more fun then losing, so the average player will hop to the faction that they think will be dominant.

True that people like winning - I like it too, I am an intensely competitive person. But winning means different things to different people - for me, if a faction that I am locked on ends the campaign with the highest score that does not constitute winning, as I don't identify with the faction. I probably won't even notice as I never look at the scoreboard. For me winning is when my guilds have great, exciting raids where we successfully fight outnumbered.

PC EU ∙ PC NA

'My only complaint about ball groups is that there aren't enough of them. Moar Balls.'
    - Vilestride
  • Zabagad
    Zabagad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside the fact(?) that ZOS dont want to invest effort on this alliance change problem, there would be a solution, which should match all your interests. (ofc there will be still some "always find a problem" people)

So with the assumption that faction lock has to stay I would propose the following:
    1) Every new campaingn the first char is locking that campaign to that alliance. (like today)
    2) Next char which will enter that campaingn is asked it want to switch to that alliance. (temporaraley for the next 30 days <-- nice to have)
    3) Other chars can still choose another alliance in another campaingn. (like today)
    4) Next char for that other campaign is handeld like in 2)
    5) Hope it was understandable :)

Side note: I personaly would buy that as a DLC if it would be necessary and that would be the only way, even I think it should be for free.
    I mean - I bought an "every race every alliance" package and cannot use it for this problem...
    Edited by Zabagad on October 19, 2019 10:07AM
    PC EU (noCP AD) Grey/Grau AD
  • DirkRavenclaw
    DirkRavenclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    I, for one applaude the Change that did happen,. Look, i created my very first Character, 2 1/2 Years ago, choose AD, so all my other 11 Toons are AD, simple. Why have so many Games even after half the Time on the Market a competetive ESport Ligue but ESO has not? No Loyalty to the Faction you are playing, in my Eyes. Im in a AD PVP Guild, one of the oldest and yes, it isnt running well on PC/NA right now. Still, i wouldnt dream of creating and playing, for examßple DC just because they are stronger. I stick with what i first choose, continue to learn more about the Lore and just hope, that we get stronger and more competetive soon. I find you should choose a Faction and, when reaching Lvl50 and starting on CP Lvl, you should decide if you stay forever with only this Faction. In War you cant choose the Side. We need to beciome more competetive
    Council Member of AtWritsEnd, Member of LoneWolfeHelp, Donor of GhostSeaTradingCO., Factor of EastEmpireTradingCO.,HonourGuard of ´DominionImperialGuard(DIG/PVP)

Master Crafter including Jewelry, i craft for Mats and Donation, always happy to help, if Im not in the Middle of PVP, i play since around 14 Months
  • Zabagad
    Zabagad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, for one applaude the Change that did happen,. Look, i created my very first Character, 2 1/2 Years ago, choose AD, so all my other 11 Toons are AD, simple.

Not sure if I understand all right, but for older chars it was not possible to choose the faction. (Maybe only with the imperial DLC)
    And if you decided to play a different race your alliance was fixed by that race.
    So because I choose to play an argonian I was bound to EP with that char.
    Later I wanted to change him to AD - bought the "any race..." but it was only working for new build char.

If I wanted to do this the way you did (all AD), I'd only have had three races to choose from.

Edited by Zabagad on October 19, 2019 10:48AM
    PC EU (noCP AD) Grey/Grau AD
  • Dreyloch
    Dreyloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zabagad wrote: »
    I, for one applaude the Change that did happen,. Look, i created my very first Character, 2 1/2 Years ago, choose AD, so all my other 11 Toons are AD, simple.

Not sure if I understand all right, but for older chars it was not possible to choose the faction. (Maybe only with the imperial DLC)
    And if you decided to play a different race your alliance was fixed by that race.
    So because I choose to play an argonian I was bound to EP with that char.
    Later I wanted to change him to AD - bought the "any race..." but it was only working for new build char.

If I wanted to do this the way you did (all AD), I'd only have had three races to choose from.

That's kind of an entirely different issue due to the fact ZoS decided to make Race a "real" decision. Based on ability and role pairings. Orc-Best stam DPS, Nord- Still Best Tank, Breton-still best healing. Other games I played in the past never had this issue because the race abilities were much more generic and really didnt have this kind of impact.
  • amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanct16 wrote: »
    SirAndy wrote: »
    I know my forum account is new, but I've been reading forums for quite awhile and i must say I'm not the least bit surprised you not only came up with some asinine reason that refuses to see any way to compromise, but also managed to say it in a way that sounds like you are a prepubescent kid making anonymous facebook comments.

Yepp, that's me. I have no problem calling a stupid idea stupid when i see it.

Faction locking an account makes no sense unless you are personally somehow invested in a specific alliance (which i am not).

My characters belong to different factions, i do not.
    rolleyes.gif
    I feel like you didn't understand the suggestion. Right now you are faction-locked to a certain faction. The characters that aren't on this particular faction can't be played on this campaign.

The suggestion is that all your characters are playable on this campaign (which you are locked to for a certain faction). So you can play a character that you created on AD in Cyrodiil on EP side.

@Sanct16 they actually placed the faction-locked campaign first, how suprising was that? xD
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

• Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you know, the whole reason they do not sell or give alliance change tokens is because they can't. The core code is centered on alliance bound to the character. The point is alliance is the linchpin for the entirety of the game. If this was to be done, the game would crash and not come back on. It's simply not possible.