The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Price Manipulation In Guild Traders: Can it Happen?

beadabow
beadabow
✭✭✭
How many of you have ever seen an item sell for an unusually high price using any of the popular add ons that can provide such data, and wondered, "How come I can't ever get that much for my items?" Well, I had an epiphany this morning while scanning the prices of some of the duplicate style pages that I had. Maybe the prices are being manipulated.

I am not accusing anyone of this practice, nor do I suggest anyone try it, as it might be frowned upon by many trade guilds, and could result in disciplinary action. Still, one easy way to manipulate prices? Have two accounts. Account "A" lists the item, and sends account "B" gold. Account "B" buys the item and mails it back to account "A." Granted, this costs gold in fees on both ends to accomplish, but if account "A" has a lot of items (and plenty of gold to spare) and wants to drive the price up, what's to stop them from doing so? Now imagine a group of players getting together and doing the same thing, only on a much larger scale. Voila. Cornflower now costs 1000 gold per item, and players are strangling each other to try to get it.

I just thought I would throw this one out there into the forums to increase seller and buyer awareness of one of the possible scenarios that might be happening in the Tamrielic economy. I have no evidence that this is happening, but it certainly is a possibility...
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's certainly possible with addons like Master Merchant which track sales to give estimated prices, but since MM only uses your own guilds to determine prices the impact would be limited. (Although still greater than with one store for everyone which would make addons like that unnecessary because there would always be current sales to show the current price instead of having to remember old data - then selling to yourself wouldn't achieve anything except wasting your time and money.)

But I think price fixing is more common. A lot of trade guilds have strict minimums for many items, especially those in high demand and will pressure all members not to sell for less than that (or even kick them out the guild, if they don't change it). I know some guilds will coordinate to make sure their minimum prices match, especially if they're in the same location.

Of course there will always be 'casual' trade guilds whose members don't know or care what the 'approved' price is and just want a quick sale so they'll undercut everyone else, and with Tamriel Trade Centre those are easier to find even if they're in strange locations. But I'm not sure what percentage of players actually use it or even know about it. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a lot of people who don't know they have any choice except to go to the traders in towns and accept whatever price they're asking. (And even more who simply don't buy from other players at all because the guild trader system is complicated and the traders in towns often only have a relatively limited selection because they're under so much pressure to make as much gold as possible they can't afford to sell anything except high-end items even though there might be more demand for cheaper stuff.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • satanio
    satanio
    ✭✭✭✭
    There will always be the one that wants to sell fast so he undercuts the estimated price. And if there’s enought people like that, they undercut the undercut so eventually they would bring the price back down.

Also, there is always someone who does not use addons for price checks and just types random number.

Manipulation as you described it could be done only on items that are scarce and hard to farm. At one point people would simply decide to farm the item themselves.
    Current public stam parses on Iron Atro so far (esologs)
    DW&Bow
    DW&2H
    2H&Bow
    Bow&Bow

Current public mag parses on Iron Atro (esologs)
    (non cheese)
    ESOLEAKS CASUALTIES:
    Checkmath
    Tasear
    RIP
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The price manipulating has already occurred. That's why everyone prices their stuff based on the major city guild trader prices. Thank you MM and TTC.
  • beadabow
    beadabow
    ✭✭✭
    I may be taking for granted that the average player has enough common sense to refuse to pay too much for anything until they have done a little "shopping around" and have decided that the price of their purchase is fair (or decided to go get the item themselves like I did when I saw the prices of Mother's Sorrow staves). But, I know some people just have no self-control when it comes to compulsory buying. This could be another possible reason for outlier prices on certain things.

I base my gold purchasing power on some pretty common items that have fluctuated in price over the past, yet remain pretty stable over the long term. I also think the player base is large enough that any attempt at price manipulation will be met with a lot of resistance as the laws of economics take over. For the situation I described in the OP to really work, it would take a lot of time, gold and many players participating in the scheme for it to have any real lasting effect on the prices of things. Still, the conspiracy theory side of me goes "hmmmmm...."
  • Drako_Ei
    Drako_Ei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If an item is common, then its cheap, if its rare, then is expensive.

Yes. It is possible to manipulate the price... but they cant manipulate the drop ratio.

Even if they do it, price would go back to normal overtime by its own
    Edited by Drako_Ei on October 31, 2019 11:55AM
  • Darkenarlol
    Darkenarlol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i've just remembered a poor guy who tried to monopolize

a specific item trading (trinimac motif chests) a few years ago

he bought everything from all kiosks with average price 20-40k

and set his brand-new 100 k reseller prices in his guilds kiosks...

i've sold 6 or 7 chest motifs to that poor wannabe capitalist for 89k

in 2 days ( again, server's average was ~30+ for that item)

of course market manipulation is a thing but it requires a huge

investment of time and money

it is much easier in games with global ah and addons that allow

you to scan all deals in real time, i know it because i did it myself

with success (i've monopolized whole specific market resource

segment of whole server for about a year in other game)

• Guyle
    Guyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nahh, price manipulating is a myth. Ppl have tried to do it, and they usually fail pretty horribly. If they do succeed it doesnt last long, and they also tend to catch the eye of GMs and Officers of Trade guilds for potentially suspicious behavior, and can face repercussions. If you look at the graphs on MM, prices follow extremely predictable trends. Of course there are always outliers, on either side of the line, but for the most part once a baseline of what ppl are willing to pay to have something right away is established, ppl begin to price what sold yesterday by what they think someone else will pay tomorrow.

Price fixing I would also have to say is a myth. I'm in 4 of the top 30 trade guilds on the server, and no one has ever told me I had to price something at this or that price. On the other hand, as an officer in one of those trade guilds, I do on occasion take a look at listings that are major outliers, and make a suggestion to those individuals, like "Hey, I know you want to sell that blue Orc racial motif for 20k, but I'm not sure its gonna happen." or "Hey, I saw you listed that aetheric cipher for 20k, I went ahead and bought it and am sending it back to you." And then give suggestions on prices that work better.
  • JPS
    JPS
    ✭✭✭✭
    New ESO collectable in the making: Tin Foil Hat

The wearer of this hat will be immune to all conspiracy theories.
    Edited by JPS on October 31, 2019 12:03PM
  • beadabow
    beadabow
    ✭✭✭
    JPS wrote: »

How much? lol! I need ten of 'em!
  • Milo
    Milo
    ✭✭✭
    It is really funny the "Dommsday-Attitude" some guys in here show.

Sure some prices are a bit manipulated, but thats not really a bad thing. And its nowhere near the level of some people think it is. It is mostly done to "raise the price" a bit. Because there are SO MANY Items sold in each Guild youd have to do this with ALOT of Items.

Lets say somebody wants to raise the price of Alloys. To make a diffrence you would need to buy ALOT of alloys from yourself. And this only works, if you do it in what? 15 Guilds? Thats just not feasable.
  • Milo
    Milo
    ✭✭✭
    srfrogg23 wrote: »
    The price manipulating has already occurred. That's why everyone prices their stuff based on the major city guild trader prices. Thank you MM and TTC.

You don't think major cities are the aim for most traders because of the flow of people there?
    The only reason to ever go into a trading guild in a major city is to manipulate prices?

And in the end, the price is only as high as someone is willing to pay for that specific item. Can't just put out a arbitrary number and say. "Yo, now you buy this at 20k a piece"
  • Milo
    Milo
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and totally forgot. If these individuals are willing to pay 7% of the price they sell to go into the dumpster (if they dont own the tradeguild themselves), all power to them. That way more gold is gone and the prices for goods lower themselves.

This trading system is just really thought through.
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    beadabow wrote: »

How much? lol! I need ten of 'em!

So you can go and fix the price? No way :D

I've seen prices for the same item at the same trader vastly different at times, but that might just be someone trying their luck by asking a stupidly high price for something, or hoping that their's will sell high when it's the only one left.

I tend to shop at guild traders like I do IRL. I shop around and if I find a price I'm alright with I'll buy, if not I'll go farm myself if I can or do without.
    Edited by pdblake on October 31, 2019 12:31PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it can happen. Just not exactly the way you describe and that sort of trading tends to hit supply/demand and get spotted as an outlier. When manipulation does happen, It's typically rare, usually isolated to a few items, and often short lived.

Example 1: items immediately after new release
    A. Dark Brotherhood's release saw a nunber of items targeted specifically by bots such as fleshfly larva and mudcrab chitin. This drops the price low enough that most real players can't compete. This can be a sustained,effect because, well, its bots. They don't care about the time it takes.
    B. Players list desirable items high, and some may buy and relist higher - very common in the first hours of an event or new release, but quickly peters out.

Example 2: manipulation after a sudden spike in demand
    A. When the Psijic Order House was released with Summerfall, demand for housing mats suddenly skyrocketed. Players dunped their mats, and a number of traders bought and then resold the mata for a higher cost. Again, a short lived boom.
    B. When the outfit aystem dropped, a number of motif rose in price. Most obvious on PC/NA was the Minotaur Chest motif, which rose to 150k each. Someone waa buying and reselling in order to raise the price across the board. As with the other examples, this too faded after a couple weeks as demand dropped and the effort of buying all the Minotaur chests become too much.

The main reason that such market manipulation is relatively short-lived is that it takes time and effort to control a fragmented market like ESO's. Example 2b is the most clear with someone deliberately raising prices for a sustained amount of time...and even that couldn't be kept up for long due to the time and effort it took to keep the minotaur chest motif price artificially high.

So yes, players can artificially raise the price of certain items.
    It just takes an awful lot of time, effort, and gold to secure the whole supply in order to meet the demand, and it inevitably fades once the outside spike in demand goes away. After all, the player has to go from guild store to guild store buying items - its not a task that can be done by tireless bots.
    Ongoing, sustained market manipulation to artificially raise prices against players who don't have an increased or inelastic demand just isn't feasible for any length of time in ESO's fragmented economy. It happens, but it's rare, limited to a few items, and shortterm.

Contrast, for example, the price raising that does happen against relatively inelastic demands for columbine and cornflower. But that doesnt require market manipulation, that's just basic economics.
    Edited by VaranisArano on October 31, 2019 12:39PM
  • Gadamlub14_ESO
    Gadamlub14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Fun fact. a collage did a test on those.

They found Aluminum foil actually amplifies the known (US) government radio waves in the Lower 48.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am not accusing anyone of this practice, nor do I suggest anyone try it, as it might be frowned upon by many trade guilds, and could result in disciplinary action. Still, one easy way to manipulate prices? Have two accounts. Account "A" lists the item, and sends account "B" gold. Account "B" buys the item and mails it back to account "A." Granted, this costs gold in fees on both ends to accomplish, but if account "A" has a lot of items (and plenty of gold to spare) and wants to drive the price up, what's to stop them from doing so? Now imagine a group of players getting together and doing the same thing, only on a much larger scale. Voila. Cornflower now costs 1000 gold per item, and players are strangling each other to try to get it.
    I have seen players cornering the market (or trying to) on certain items in the past by buying up any quantity they could get in zone chat. Regards your scenario, I think you underestimate how hard the 8% gold loss hits players trying to do that. Even if guilds were involved, they only get 3.5% in dues for a sale, which leaves 4.5% vanishing into the ether.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, people try to fool the addons by selling an item to a friend, or even their own alt account for an inflated price. Problem is, this falls apart with just a modicum of critical thinking.

A glance at the sales history provided by these same addons shows out of the 20 sales, the price was around X Gold. However one outlier sale was like 10 times that price so the reported average sale price goes up. But, it does not change the history. The Outlier factor in Master Merchant is skewed way to high.

Then, someone just has to look at the listings and they will see a bunch of items listed at the lower prices. Guess which ones sell?

So, if you blindly follow the addon reported average you will either pay too much for something, or you will list it too high. Instead, learn the market using all sources of information available to you. Then you will pay a fair market price and you will list at a price that will move the item.

This type of price inflation attempts occur just after festival events that saturate the market driving prices into the basement on things like Motifs and Recipes.

Take away is this: list any recipes and motifs early in the event and be prepared to relist 30 days later at a lower price. And, if your shopping, due so in the latter days of the event or soon after for the best bargains.
    Edited by Nestor on October 31, 2019 1:07PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• beadabow
    beadabow
    ✭✭✭
    @VaranisArano Agree, markets will naturally correct over time, and efforts to artificially raise, lower prices are probably herculean and not worth the return-on-the-investment (in time and game gold) for would be price manipulators. The only way such an endeavor would be worthwhile is if an actual organization were making real world money through the selling of items in-game to other players. Then, you might see a large group of people investing time and game gold into increasing demand for certain items, then offering them up for sale on the internet or something. Totally against ESO's TOS though, and they also run the risk of getting perma-banned for engaging in these practices. That would cut into their profit margins considerably, since they would have to keep buying new copies of the game to continue their operation. But there are a lot of bots running around, so (places tinfoil hat over head) you be the judge. LOL!

If I were a member of one of these clandestine organizations, I would certainly want to see posts like these get debunked. But, I am talking tongue in cheek here. And I seriously do agree with the comments of many on this thread. In my honest opinion, it's very difficult and not worth the effort to try to manipulate the prices of things in the game. Finally, thank you @Nestor for your comments. I appreciate your knowledge and experience in the game's economy!

edited: For Clarification and Summary
    Edited by beadabow on October 31, 2019 1:16PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i've just remembered a poor guy who tried to monopolize

a specific item trading (trinimac motif chests) a few years ago

he bought everything from all kiosks with average price 20-40k

and set his brand-new 100 k reseller prices in his guilds kiosks...

i've sold 6 or 7 chest motifs to that poor wannabe capitalist for 89k

in 2 days ( again, server's average was ~30+ for that item)

of course market manipulation is a thing but it requires a huge

investment of time and money

it is much easier in games with global ah and addons that allow

you to scan all deals in real time, i know it because i did it myself

with success (i've monopolized whole specific market resource

segment of whole server for about a year in other game)

Doing it like that is also not the best way tbh. The best way to do it is to raise the price higher within the accepted range that buyers are already purchasing in.

Last year I went through every single trader in game over the course of a day and bought every single Necro fire/shock stave that was priced under 25K. Resold the poor trait staves at 40K and the decent trait staves at 60K. I spent maybe 2M buying items and made many more millions on the resale. Mostly because players in the smaller trading guilds are pricing things incredibly low. Like 10K for a BiS traited stave at the time.

A lot of players who attempt to do this try to jack up the prices and usually list the items too high.
  • tahol10069
    tahol10069
    ✭✭✭✭
    Milo wrote: »
    It is really funny the "Dommsday-Attitude" some guys in here show.

Sure some prices are a bit manipulated,

So which one is it, some prices are manipulated or they are not? First you blame someone for imagining things and then admit they are right.

Hypocrite.

• srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Milo wrote: »
    srfrogg23 wrote: »

You don't think major cities are the aim for most traders because of the flow of people there?
    The only reason to ever go into a trading guild in a major city is to manipulate prices?

And in the end, the price is only as high as someone is willing to pay for that specific item. Can't just put out a arbitrary number and say. "Yo, now you buy this at 20k a piece"

Main city traders base their prices off of MM and TTC. Outside traders base their prices off of MM and TTC.

If MM and TTC say that something should be a certain price, then people will charge that amount. If a bunch of stuff sells at a very low or very high price, then MM and TTC prices become skewed.

...and that becomes the new price that everyone charges. How is this such a hard concept for people to grasp?

MM and TTC turned the system into a decentralized Global Auction House. These addons are the mechanism for manipulation.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @beadabow Ever thought that can be gold laundering? Already been spotted more than once.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • beadabow
    beadabow
    ✭✭✭
    I belong(ed) to a number of big trading guilds, and as I stated in my OP, I have NO EVIDENCE of these practices going on- this includes the guilds I am a member of. If deliberate price manipulation is happening, it is not "guild wide." At least not in the guilds I have had the privilege of membership.
  • beadabow
    beadabow
    ✭✭✭
    @beadabow Ever thought that can be gold laundering? Already been spotted more than once.

I knew those bloody Khajiit Skooma dealers were shady! Just follow the gold trail! :p
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VaranisArano Agree, markets will naturally correct over time, and efforts to artificially raise, lower prices are probably herculean and not worth the return-on-the-investment (in time and game gold) for would be price manipulators. The only way such an endeavor would be worthwhile is if an actual organization were making real world money through the selling of items in-game to other players. Then, you might see a large group of people investing time and game gold into increasing demand for certain items, then offering them up for sale on the internet or something. Totally against ESO's TOS though, and they also run the risk of getting perma-banned for engaging in these practices. That would cut into their profit margins considerably, since they would have to keep buying new copies of the game to continue their operation. But there are a lot of bots running around, so (places tinfoil hat over head) you be the judge. LOL!

If I were a member of one of these clandestine organizations, I would certainly want to see posts like these get debunked.

Hah, thanks for the laugh!

I did get the tongue-in-cheek bit, but I figured I'd elaborate a bit more because economic theory is fun, and well, there are a number of unironic conspiracy theorists when it comes to ESO's economy.

In reality, the effects of bots are pretty easy to spot because they too are subject to economic forces. Bots are efficient at gathering certain items that can be gained on a set rotation: animal parts, hides, stationary nodes. Moreover, the very efficiency of bots at generating supply tends to reduce prices of those items because bots can charge lower prices than players and still have their "effort" be worth it.

In certain cases, bots can effectively price real players who farm out of the market. For example, its hardly worth it for a real PC Player to farm for clean pelts because the much more efficient bot farmers can charge a much lower price and still be profitable. I sell a lot of mats, so when I track mat prices, its not hard to pick out likely bots, especially looking at the type of mats we can see bots farming in game.

If all bots were permanently removed (please, pretty please, ZOS), the net result would be a supply drop of mats...leading to a price increase. We see this sentiment fairly often in threads complaining about high mat prices - a number of (short-sighted, IMO) buyers are happy to have bots around because the increased supply drives prices down. I mostly farm mats for my gold, so I'd love it if ZOS got rid of my TOS-breaking competition!

Your suggestion points out the existence of a different sort of bot: bots that can buy and resell from guild traders (most bot accounts that sell, remember, do so to undercut actual players which is very easy to spot in guild store searches). Those bots, and addons that allow for automated buying/selling are something you see in games with a global auction house. Its not something you see with any prevalence in ESO, largely due to the fragmented nature of ESO's trading system. When you have to travel from trader to trader, there's no way to control a large, fragmented supply of commonly available items over a long period of time in an efficient manner. There's no "trickle down" effect from a few players or a few guilds that can artificially raise the price across the whole market unless the market can bear it, in which case, its not artificial. Which is why ESO's market manipulation tend to be rare, limited to certain rarer items, and short-term. ESO lends itself to short-term capitalization on demand spikes that support the artificial price raises. It doesn't lend itself to monopolies over common goods or to sustained artificial price increases beyond what demand will bear.

Again, contrast that to examples of the relatively inelastic demand for a common good like Cornflower - endgame PVEers are going to buy their spellpower pots even as farmers increase the price. There's no cabal of price fixers needed there because demand is inelastic, supply is fairly consistent, and so the price can keep climbing. I can steadily increase my cornflower prices, and as long as I'm selling, I can keep raising my prices - no conspiracy needed. The same thing happened before with Columbine. Inelastic demand, consistent supply, prices kept rising...and then fell when ZOS introduced additional supply from Imperial City alchemy boxes.

There were a couple of good points brought up by others as well.

Nestor gave more specifics to what I was talking about in my Example 1b. I call this "selling high to impatient people." Prices are always very high at the beginning of events due to high demand and low supply, and then reverse towards the end of the event. So the beginnings of events are always great for market manipulators before the bottom drops out of the market.

redlink1979 brings up the excellent point of gold-laundering. I've been an officer of a trading guild and we busted and banned couple of people for that. With the ability to track sales on PC, its pretty easy to see when there's a major outlier sale that's far in advance of the item's value. We found that sort of thing is usually gold laundering rather than an attempt at market manipulation.

Finally, having been in several trade guilds, I concur with your observation that there's no organized price fixing going on in guilds. Heck, as an officer we had a hard enough time making sure most players made their weekly sales/raffle ticket. And most telling of all, this hits the same flaw as most conspiracies - How do you keep it a secret when 500 or more players are involved? :)
  • beadabow
    beadabow
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! @VaranisArano , your detailed analysis and knowledge of the subject matter is profound. I greatly appreciate your intelligent input! Happy trading!
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The term "market/price manipulation" is also a bit misleading.

That there is a general price range determined by supply and demand, that some people buy items below that range and re-sell them at average price, that sellers try to sell their goods at the highest price to still find buyers, that prices slowly (for a video game economy: astonishingly slowly) rise due to inflation - that's not price manipulation, that is capitalism.

Or in other words, there is a difference between shady practices, and the workings of a market economy (even if it's a simulated one).
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You have to take into account the fact that the MM data is collected over time, you get rich players that want stuff now, and players that price as high as they can get away with.

As the event goes on the sales history remains showing higher sales prices while the price is actually plummeting on most stuff due to the inevitable oversupply.

Price fixing as you described is pointless, putting an item up at a high price on one account and buying it with another is a waste of time and gold due to the sheer amount of items being listed a realistic prices on other traders.

TTC is good at providing data to counter that, it shows you the min, the average and the max (the max is more often than not the outlier which can be ignored, usually just some idiot putting up a stupidly high price hoping someone will fall for it)

During an event your better off relying on TTC for pricing stuff, MM is better for long term normal trade of items you sell on a weekly basis its largely useless in an event when there is eventually so much stock of items on the traders that everyone will start undercutting in the hopes of getting a sale as those that badly wanted stuff have likely gotten what they want now its just those that were waiting for a good price and know how to shop around.

As for outside an even, people can put up any price they feel like, won't make a difference to the market if most players sell at the normal price, that person will just end up getting their item back in the mail when the listing expires.

Price fixing only really works on rare items with which there is a controllable supply, even then the re-seller needs to beat people who actually want those items, to the guild traders listing them, with the guild trader system that would take a lot of work, its why those that use bots tend to deal with crafting mats, they can make there gold AFK, either by selling the raw mats or refining for gold mats.

When it comes to rare stuff even at the fairer prices most people will put them up for is still going to be higher than most casuals are willing to pay, because at the end of the day there are rich players willing to pay a lot for some pieces of gear or items to save time.

If people are over pricing items just like real life shop around and if need be wait a few days, that way you will never pay more for most stuff than you want to.

Rarer stuff will always be expensive though but when you stop and think is not needed at all so save your gold unless you have plenty your happy with wasting, if your stopping and thinking twice about buying a rare item you don't have enough gold hoarded yet to consider it a minor expense.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @VaranisArano made a lot of excellent points. I'd add that the markets for a lot of items are thin and inelastic.

I sell most things at higher prices than MM and TTC suggest other people do. They sell anyway -- perhaps unless one other seller shows up with a lower price on the same guild trader I'm using, or in some cases at any other trader in the same town.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outliers only affect the average price.

You can search for individual items in Master Merchant and figure out the recent median sale price of an item, which is a better indicator especially as you can omit the outliers yourself.
    signing off