Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

No game on MacOS catalina and no login on PS4

EternalDiva
EternalDiva
✭✭✭
When I could not login to the game on my PS4 due to IDK what I went back to the computer. Only to find that the launcher does not work with MacOS catalina. Support pages say toss old launcher and redownload game. Did that.
Then:
launch game
crash
reopen launcher choose "repair"
wait for another download
launch game
crash
launch game
choose server/and country
CRASH
rinse and repeat
CRASH
rinse and repeat
CRASH
not sure what is going on but also can not play this game on my PS4. Cant login.

IDK if this is two different issues or if the two problems are result of latest patch updates

Some note elsewhere says to launch from the "executable" file. whatever the heck that is. I think the problem is the game is 32bit and my computer for over 2 years now has been 64bit. anyone know if there is any kind of work around? Ill go back to my PS4 if it ever allows me to login. However, I do want this game to work on my computer. Lord knows I paid enough money for the game and nearly every expansion pack since the game launched years ago.

DEAR ESO, you knew about this problem with 32bit verses 64bit was gonna be a problem on Macs. Why you not ahead of the game? Love you. but....
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I turned off the "Keep my computer updated automatically" setting as soon as I updated to the one before Catalina (Mojave?) and got the warning about Steam being 32 bit and it wouldn't work under Catalina.

Being interested in DAWs and such, I'm aware of prior occasions when several big-name DAW makers warned Mac users not to update to the latest version of the Mac OS due to compatibility issues.

It never ceases to amuse and amaze me that when things like this happen in the world of Windows computers, most users are quick to blame Microsoft for doing something that made the new OS incompatible with a lot of their software; but when this happens in the world of Apple devices, most users are quick to blame the software companies for not keeping up with whatever Apple did that made a lot of software incompatible with the new OS.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DEAR ESO, you knew about this problem with 32bit verses 64bit was gonna be a problem on Macs. Why you not ahead of the game? Love you. but....

On the other side of the coin, you seriously should have checked compatibility and support for your new operating system BEFORE you pulled that upgrade trigger. What you are going through is an unfortunate side-affect of that. Prior versions of MacOS still have support for several more years, so was it entirely a necessity to upgrade? Even a platform such as Steam not being compatible (yet) doesn't negate it's a problem with Valve, Zenimax, or any other company just because Apple products decide it's a great idea to just completely ditch 32-bit support before 64-bit is a complete standard everywhere. That's a bold move that still is going to take a few more years to be everywhere. This also goes into every other system that the software needs to run (drivers, etc). If I were in your shoes, I would think about re-installing with a prior version of MacOS or build you a PC with Windows for gaming. I feel your pain, I am primarily a Linux user myself and I still prefer to play it on a Windows OS.

Not trying to be an a** here toward you, but your issue really should be with Apple and even moreso yourself for rushing updates ahead of time before you know the impact they are going to have on whatever types of software you intend to run.
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • EternalDiva
    EternalDiva
    ✭✭✭
    " wrote:
    Not trying to be an a** here toward you, but your issue really should be with Apple and even moreso yourself for rushing updates ahead of time before you know the impact they are going to have on whatever types of software you intend to run.

Disagree. ESO has been aware of the problem for more than 2 years. I should not have to use a legacy operating system because ONE game cant keep up. I play a lot of RPG games. All of them except ESO are up to snuff with my computers OS.
  • EternalDiva
    EternalDiva
    ✭✭✭
    Appending my posts to note that Minion which is an app managing third party addons was a large part of the problem with the game crashing. With addons gone, minion removed completely from computer, updated launcher and game reinstalled the game now runs. THOUGH there is still the persistent white screen issue. If you get that just hit CMD M and CMD M and the white screen will go away and game load properly.

This is as of Nov 2019. No idea if and or when Minion will be updated. No idea if adding add-ons manually will work or cause a crash. No interest on my part ATM to figure it out. Blessings to all who give it a go.
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    I turned off the "Keep my computer updated automatically" setting as soon as I updated to the one before Catalina (Mojave?) and got the warning about Steam being 32 bit and it wouldn't work under Catalina.

Being interested in DAWs and such, I'm aware of prior occasions when several big-name DAW makers warned Mac users not to update to the latest version of the Mac OS due to compatibility issues.

It never ceases to amuse and amaze me that when things like this happen in the world of Windows computers, most users are quick to blame Microsoft for doing something that made the new OS incompatible with a lot of their software; but when this happens in the world of Apple devices, most users are quick to blame the software companies for not keeping up with whatever Apple did that made a lot of software incompatible with the new OS.

I use DAW's as well. One of the main reasons I've stayed on Windows is the open source vst's can replace, to some degree something I may need, but I have not upgraded FL Studio in about 2 years.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently Steam has had a 64-bit client for macOS for some time now, but if you have the 32-bit client installed it will not automatically update to the 64-bit version, or even notify that there is a 64-bit version. (!) It seems you must uninstall the old 32-bit client manually, taking care not to delete all of your data and games, then install the new 64-bit client manually and I guess link all of your data and games to it.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/09/03/how-to-update-your-steam-install-to-64-bit-before-macos-catalina

What I want to know (aside from who at Steam thought that was the way to go with this) is, is there some simple way to look at your existing Steam client and see whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit?
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Gattopardo
    Gattopardo
    ✭✭
    You don't need to deinstall the 32bit one (Steam), I think it worked just installing the new 64bit one and it replaces the old one.

You can see if you still have 32bit apps in the System Report if you are not running Catalina already. See the link under "How to find ..."
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436
    Edited by Gattopardo on November 10, 2019 11:26PM
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    As an aside, I installed PS4 new patch yesterday and (fingers crossed) played good three hours w/o any issue (PS4 pro, internal HD).
    That said, I'll stay happily with Mojave as long as as I can. Not for the Steam/Launcher compatibility, which can be solved starting from the eso.app directly, but for the issues (not yet solved, AFAIK) with the external GPU (I run a MacBook Pro, sigh). Let's skip over all the security madness in Catalina, which pissed me off in ten minutes, pushing me to downgrade to Mojave