The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Changing the way XP scrolls work?

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
This might (?) stop the Alik'r Dolmen grind: Each XP scroll increases your character level by 1. You do not gain any XP. You cannot exceed the level of the highest level toon on your account (not server -- account).
So if you levelled a new toon to 50 by buying a batch of XP scrolls, they jump to CP levels if you have it. But they now have an XP debt that must be filled before they can contribute any XP toward CP.
And, uh, stop dropping them like water from daily login rewards.

This also means XP scrolls would be sort of useless once you hit level 50, but usable CP is capped anyway AND we have Enlightenment AND all CP toons contribute to CP (which really makes it go up way too fast).

ADDENDUM: It also means completely new accounts CANNOT power level without an XP event. That in turn hopefully means they'll have time to actually learn the game and learn their class.
Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 28, 2019 7:06AM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You didn't explain why we need to stop the dolmen grind or curb xp gain though.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

Time wasting immersion breaking AFK-ing…
    And CP gain just feels way too fast with the listed advantages. I can understand wanting to get to gear cap, but after that it's just a rush to complain that the game is too easy.
  • MrGhosty
    MrGhosty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

Time wasting immersion breaking AFK-ing…
    And CP gain just feels way too fast with the listed advantages. I can understand wanting to get to gear cap, but after that it's just a rush to complain that the game is too easy.

If people want to grind, let them. They only way you'll ever get somewhere in the game that isn't "immersion breaking" is if you take the time to make a lore correct housing instance and never let anyone in.

The people that complain about the game being "too easy" would just complain about something else anyway.
    "It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom."
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you triggered by people just leveling up their characters or CP? because the lore breaking argument its total BS, one would think that if there is a portal from Oblivion dropping Daedra every single moment non stop, the citizens of Tamriel would be on them just like the leveling train runs.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ysbriel wrote: »
    Why are you triggered by people just leveling up their characters or CP? because the lore breaking argument its total BS, one would think that if there is a portal from Oblivion dropping Daedra every single moment non stop, the citizens of Tamriel would be on them just like the leveling train runs.

That's not the ONLY thing and I'm not "triggered".
    Why are you triggered by someone making a suggestion?
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 28, 2019 7:55AM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't touch dolmens other then if anchor drops while i'm passing through, but I know a lot of people who run and enjoy them, why we need to ruin somebody's fun just because?

And there are ton of other ways to fast level, imo dolmens are far from most effective.
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »

That's not the ONLY thing and I'm not "triggered".
    Why are you triggered by someone making a suggestion?

You are making a suggestion about people minding their own business and progressing their characters. If you are triggered why the suggestion? does their XP gain and leveling hinder your progression? are they blocking your way into somewhere? are they using bots and everybody else can’t do the dolmen? Because by the size of the groups people seem to be participating.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You are making a suggestion about people minding their own business and progressing their characters. If you are triggered why the suggestion? does their XP gain and leveling hinder your progression? are they blocking your way into somewhere? are they using bots and everybody else can’t do the dolmen? Because by the size of the groups people seem to be participating.

This is a straw man. If you want to make your own topic, start your own thread.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks.

This idea just seems like buying a level up token, except you need 50 of them, and you get to do your unbuffed grinding at level 50 instead because you have an EXP debt.

With One Tamriel, what's the point? It's not like the difficulty of overland content will be substantially different to level 50. You still need to grind out your exp debt via Skyreach or Dolmens (or my preferred method of tanking random normal dungeons). You still have to level your skills via this grinding.

Here's a big problem: it screws with groupfinder in the beginning. You'd end up in the max level BGs with the CP 160-gear players and almost no skills. You'd end up with all normal and most Veteran dungeons unlocked, while you are still unlocking skills. At least the dolmen grinders are unlocking skills as they go.

I'm generally opposed to the idea that we should now need to pay for level-up tokens. I actually prefer ZOS' current method, where there's in game options and the exp scrolls are pretty regularly available for free for new players. I've had max CP for a long time, but we get new players all the time who face a pretty daunting climb if they want to do end-game content (which doesnt fully unlock until CP 300) or CP PVP.

For all that ZOS seems determined to monetize just about everything they can in ESO, its almost refreshing that EXP buffs are one of the least monetized things at this point thanks to the Daily Login rewards. In that sense, this suggestion is a huge step backwards.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why do you care so much about what other people do?
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you played the game shortly after 1.6 you would know what it was like to have to grind up accounts...Not only was any good source of XP nerfed (because CP was uncapped), and you also had to level up to VR16 to get max level.

What we have now is much better. If someone wants to farm Alikr dolmens to get whatever amount of CP they feel is necessary for them to enjoy the game then let them. I find dolmen farming very mind numbing, but I don't have anything against players that want to do it.

Playing since beta...
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are only two zones that have a steady Dolmen Zerg, this is not really an issue. They do not affect anything else in the zones like for quests and the like. Small chance that the FG daily might send you to those zones, but the quest objectives are still doable.

ZOS used to be fanatical about nerfing grind spots for some inexplicable reason. Let's not go back to that situation.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a big problem: it screws with groupfinder in the beginning. You'd end up in the max level BGs with the CP 160-gear players and almost no skills. You'd end up with all normal and most Veteran dungeons unlocked, while you are still unlocking skills. At least the dolmen grinders are unlocking skills as they go.

Yes and no.
    When your level is higher, you get more XP for doing the same activity than when you are at a lower level.
    So once you've increased your character level, you will accelerate unlocking your skill lines and individual skills which were sitting at a very low level.
    Nestor wrote: »
    ZOS used to be fanatical about nerfing grind spots for some inexplicable reason.
    Maybe because going AFK at a dolmen or dragon and then collecting XP and loot is tantamount to exploiting the mechanics / an unintended interaction with dolmen/dragon? These are like pushing a button and getting loot.
    How about letting people who log in to play a game actually PLAY the game instead of hitting "play" on a Netflix movie and periodically moving their toon.
    This change to XP scrolls would help them get an alt caught up to their main faster and while actually playing the game.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 28, 2019 6:23PM