Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Just a single positive change to each class off the top of my head....(Part 1)

chrightt
chrightt
✭✭✭✭
Keep note that this takes into account all changes made up until Patch 5.2.4 on the PTS.
I am here to discuss some beneficial changes to each class (yeah, since I play them all) that I think are pretty much "buffs" to underutilized skills that can make things a bit more interesting without triggering anyone (hopefully). I am going to go over just 1 skill per class to see if this seems like a good change most people would prefer over the so called "class balance and class identity" that ZOS is giving us. Of course, I am keeping these changes as realistic as possible meaning I have to sort of predict what the heck ZOS wants as well to hopefully help them make positive changes that people enjoy. Do they even read this anyway (not skim, READ)?

DragonKnight
The first thing that comes to mind is Molten Weapons. This skill just feels quite out of place with most classes having ways to gain Major Brutality and Major Sorcery with a long enough duration. However, this skill actually has a similar "defensive" counterpart: Warden's Frost Cloak and morphs (Expansive Frost Cloak and the more commonly seen Ice Fortress).
My proposal:
Igneous Weapons: We don't need the increased radius from 28 => 36 meters. Instead, change this part of the ability to reduce magicka cost. With a lower magicka cost and a long duration, it actually looks possible for players who want to be able to make sure major sorcery/brutality is up for him/herself and teammate has a really high up time will find this skill useful. It is especially good for people who don't really remember to buff as often or prefer not to buff once per 20 seconds as current Igneous Weapon lasts 42 seconds on PTS. With Magicka cost being lowered from 4.3k to something like 2.7k I can see more people running this skill (especially for potential hybrid builds) as technically a long duration coupled with low cost means that you're getting a really cheap major sorcery/brutality + not needing to reapply it as often at the cost of not having other bonuses.
Molten Armaments: Current: Increase your own damage with heavy attacks by 50% => New: Increase heavy attack damage of all allies affected by Molten Armaments by 20% and increase the resource returned by 20%.
This change can be really useful in group battles rather than a magDK having to build him/herself towards using heavy attacks. I am pretty sure more people than not use heavy attacks as a means to return resources rather than to deal heavy damage (yeah I know the undaunted heavy attack builds are out there once in a while at low or even mid pvp tiers but even they can use a bonus for resource returned).

Necromancer
Frozen Colossus: Like a lot of people, I think the change to Frozen is not exactly a good change. For those that don't know, Major Vulnerability has 20s CD but it now lasts 8s. The duration is far too long for PVP if you manage to even land one hit with your colossus the target loses pretty much the majority of the chance at survival even if an ally heals for the target. As some experienced trial goers would point out, this doesn't reduce the need of necros in raids because often times you use necro ultis to clear trash packs much faster. This change actually makes them stronger at clearing trash packs I would say (or at least not any weaker). I would personally lower the major vulnerability to 5s for now but this class seriously needs a lot more tweaking than just 1 skill. Stamnecros are still king in PVE/trial DPS and magnecros are on the very bottom. How is a class balanced this poorly across mag and stam? For PVP, well they're actually not that bad now on dragonhold but some buggy skills needs some tuning still.

Nightblade
Blur To be honest, I see stamblades using shuffles because magicka cost for Blur (and of course its morphs Mirage and Phantasmal Escape is just a tad bit too high to justify running it over shuffle. I think it would be quite fair to reduce the base magicka cost of this ability from 3780 to 3000, wouldn't you? At least nightblades can slot Blur more often than shuffles making them feel like they are the elusive class. Wouldn't you agree?

Sorcerer
I actually have quite the fun suggestion for this one: Encase. Now this skill's change is dependent on something else mentioned at the very bottom of this thread in an attempt to alleviate some annoyances for PVPers at the moment while making this skill more useful.
Shattering Prison: Split this damage into two parts. First part is a DoT while enemy is encased deals X damage per second. The second part is the final damage that should do damage even if the opponent breaks free. Of course, this final burst damage should be lower than the damage it now is. As I said, some caveats are listed on the bottom of this thread as well.
Restraining Prison: Since ZOS wants to promote sorchealers so much that they made a whole new heal based power surge, why not give it to them? Currently, to gain Major Vitality the skill HAS to snare something and extends duration for each enemy snared. This makes the skill not very useful when there is say, only one boss. My proposal is to make Restraining Prison get 3 seconds of Major Vitality on cast, regardless of hitting an enemy or not (while retaining +1s per enemy hit up to 6). I think for a skill with 3.8k base cost this wouldn't be too much to ask. It would make this morph an interesting healer oriented morph that can be useful for both PVE and PVP.

Templar
I thought long and hard even as a templar player myself and I actually think both magplar and stamplars are working pretty well in dragonhold. Slot reserved for skill change but if I had to pick a class where all the skills seem pretty useful in one way or another and are actually being used here or there, I would pick templar for sure.

Warden
Frozen Gate: While I recognize I get to see frozen gate and morphs used once in a century, I really wish this skill is made a bit friendlier to use because it is such a cool utility skill. I think my biggest gripe with the skill is probably the radius. Extending radius from 5m => 6m would help a bit.
Next, I think instead of being able to spam this skill across the area (since we can have up to 3) a cool interaction (get the pun?) would be to be able to put only 2 portals down. However, if user of the ability steps on the older of the two portals, the user will be teleported to the location of the newer portal (this is to make the skill more mind-gamey, strategic, and a tradeoff between placement). This will be able to differentiate it from summon shade, but of course the retreat will be stuck with a 28m max radius for teleportation which can be another whole issue of awkwardness. Hey, I still think it would be quite fun.

General Fixes
Ok, one last thing I want to mention is I think snare immunity in general should have a slightly longer duration from skills and the roll dodging snare immunity should be increased from 2s -> 4s as well. This is to prevent a lot of CC frustration that PVPers are experiencing from easy sources of snare that frankly just make the match about CC rather than the "fast paced combat" a lot of people prefer. Like seriously, our roll dodge cost increase is on a 4s CD and our snare immunity is 2s?!?! Make snares more impactful sure but make it less spammy.
Edited by chrightt on October 22, 2019 1:31PM
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are creative ideas.

Stamblades spend mag on cloak. They love their medium armor too so blur can stay mag only morp. In my opinion, a skill that make you blurred should not break cloak. Just a thought, I didnt think about balance in this one.

Warden change is the most creative one but it can be way too strong. It is the better shade if it works that way.

Sorc healer buff sounds very good. Break free damage should not be high tho.

DK and necro buffs wont solve any problems and may create new ones.
  • IndianaJames7
    IndianaJames7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like your sentiment of asking for buffs all around rather than nerfs. However I find it flippant to even discuss NB’s in this manor without even bringing up cast time on incap. Cast time on incap is gross and offensive.
    Edited by IndianaJames7 on October 16, 2019 7:12PM
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭

Stamblades spend mag on cloak. They love their medium armor too so blur can stay mag only morp. In my opinion, a skill that make you blurred should not break cloak. Just a thought, I didnt think about balance in this one.

Warden change is the most creative one but it can be way too strong. It is the better shade if it works that way.

On wardens, my thought is enemy will be able to tell which one is first casted by maybe color scheme, so you can predict location enemy will pop up at. It is basically a "reverse shade" so it means that putting 1 down and then a 2nd one down BUT you have to run to 1st portal to go to 2nd. You can't simply cast 2nd portal and teleport back to first. When you drop a 3rd portal the 2nd portal turns into the "1st" and the 3rd portal turns into the "2nd" so enemy will always know which portal u must enter and which portal you must exit.

Definitely agree with you on sorc's break free damage not being high

hmm, necro isn't really a change on my part, I'm just pointing out that necros need a lot more tweaking. DKs I feel like shouldn't be OP though. Thanks for your feedback and I'm glad you found it interesting.

I like your sentiment of asking for buffs all around rather than nerfs. However I find it flippant to even discuss NB’s in this manor without even bringing up cast time on incap. Cast time on incap is gross and offensive.

As I wrote, I will not try to change anything that ZOS has pretty much "decided" on. It is pointless to argue whether or not cast times should be on ultimate because it will not change anything and debate on that topic has been done over in 10 other threads. This one is focusing on some less used ability to try to make them more used, hence in line with the horizontal progression ESO wants to push. I don't see how that is flippant in the least bit as the focus of this thread is not whether or not cast times should be kept in place.
  • IndianaJames7
    IndianaJames7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chrightt wrote: »

On wardens, my thought is enemy will be able to tell which one is first casted by maybe color scheme, so you can predict location enemy will pop up at. It is basically a "reverse shade" so it means that putting 1 down and then a 2nd one down BUT you have to run to 1st portal to go to 2nd. You can't simply cast 2nd portal and teleport back to first. When you drop a 3rd portal the 2nd portal turns into the "1st" and the 3rd portal turns into the "2nd" so enemy will always know which portal u must enter and which portal you must exit.

Definitely agree with you on sorc's break free damage not being high

hmm, necro isn't really a change on my part, I'm just pointing out that necros need a lot more tweaking. DKs I feel like shouldn't be OP though. Thanks for your feedback and I'm glad you found it interesting.

As I wrote, I will not try to change anything that ZOS has pretty much "decided" on. It is pointless to argue whether or not cast times should be on ultimate because it will not change anything and debate on that topic has been done over in 10 other threads. This one is focusing on some less used ability to try to make them more used, hence in line with the horizontal progression ESO wants to push. I don't see how that is flippant in the least bit as the focus of this thread is not whether or not cast times should be kept in place.

Well seeing as that not all ultimates have cast times this is far from something that ZOS has ‘decided on’ . Why is it that Templar’s get a free cheap ultimate without a cast time (crescent sweep), but nightblades main skill they rely on for burst combos having a cast time is pointless to argue? I stand by my claim that this cast time is gross and offensive and nightblades should not drop the subject.
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well seeing as that not all ultimates have cast times this is far from something that ZOS has ‘decided on’ . Why is it that Templar’s get a free cheap ultimate without a cast time (crescent sweep), but nightblades main skill they rely on for burst combos having a cast time is pointless to argue? I stand by my claim that this cast time is gross and offensive and nightblades should not drop the subject.

Yes, but go do it in a relevant thread. This one does not deal with ultimate cast times nor balancing issues rather than skills that can get a rework for more usability.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer
    Frozen Colossus: Like a lot of people, I think the change to Frozen is not exactly a good change. For those that don't know, Major Vulnerability has 20s CD but it now lasts 8s. The duration is far too long for PVP if you manage to even land one hit with your colossus the target loses pretty much the majority of the chance at survival even if an ally heals for the target. As some experienced trial goers would point out, this doesn't reduce the need of necros in raids because often times you use necro ultis to clear trash packs much faster. This change actually makes them stronger at clearing trash packs I would say (or at least not any weaker). I would personally lower the major vulnerability to 5s for now but this class seriously needs a lot more tweaking than just 1 skill. Stamnecros are still king in PVE/trial DPS and magnecros are on the very bottom. How is a class balanced this poorly across mag and stam? For PVP, well they're actually not that bad now on dragonhold but some buggy skills needs some tuning still.

just gonna rant here with not much structure. and my arguments mainly target pvp.

I would say the same problem exists with Magden, but to a slightly lesser extent. the issue is that stamden and stamcro get the same tools as magden and magcro, and because Mag has less weapon skills and weapons to chose from, stam just comes out on the top for dps most of the time unless the magicka variant goes half support and conforms to a group! I think Magden needs a new subclass-defining damage skill that works with our desire for frost magic and for some damage skill synergy along with some changes to make the animal companions skills a bit more interesting like what they did for new growing swarm and cutting dive(fix dive's speed and proc condition for off balance while you're at it.)

I would argue that Magcro needs a similar thing. A new subclass-defining class damage skill that works with their combo, or rather, creates a combo. Along with several fixes to existing skills to give the class synergy, hell even Ricochet Skull getting some unique effect to combo with necro's pets would be interesting or would at least try and offer some sort of synergy. and holy crap fix the damn projectile speed of it too. both Dive and Skull suck as projectiles because they're just so slow. in Warden's case, the skill should either be a delayed burst skill like it was back in summerset or an actual spammable a mix between the 2 just sucks, especially that it got a 10% damage nerf and a cost increase!
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on October 18, 2019 8:25AM
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep note that this takes into account all changes made up until Patch 5.2.4 on the PTS.
    I am here to discuss some beneficial changes to each class (yeah, since I play them all) that I think are pretty much "buffs" to underutilized skills that can make things a bit more interesting without triggering anyone (hopefully). I am going to go over just 1 skill per class to see if this seems like a good change most people would prefer over the so called "class balance and class identity" that ZOS is giving us. Of course, I am keeping these changes as realistic as possible meaning I have to sort of predict what the heck ZOS wants as well to hopefully help them make positive changes that people enjoy. Do they even read this anyway (not skim, READ)?

DragonKnight
    The first thing that comes to mind is Molten Weapons. This skill just feels quite out of place with most classes having ways to gain Major Brutality and Major Sorcery with a long enough duration. However, this skill actually has a similar "defensive" counterpart: Warden's Frost Cloak and morphs (Expansive Frost Cloak and the more commonly seen Ice Fortress).
    My proposal:
    Igneous Weapons: We don't need the increased radius from 28 => 36 meters. Instead, change this part of the ability to reduce magicka cost. With a lower magicka cost and a long duration, it actually looks possible for players who want to be able to make sure major sorcery/brutality is up for him/herself and teammate has a really high up time will find this skill useful. It is especially good for people who don't really remember to buff as often or prefer not to buff once per 20 seconds as current Igneous Weapon lasts 42 seconds on PTS. With Magicka cost being lowered from 4.3k to something like 2.7k I can see more people running this skill (especially for potential hybrid builds) as technically a long duration coupled with low cost means that you're getting a really cheap major sorcery/brutality + not needing to reapply it as often at the cost of not having other bonuses.
    Molten Armaments: Current: Increase your own damage with heavy attacks by 50% => New: Increase heavy attack damage of all allies affected by Molten Armaments by 20% and increase the resource returned by 20%.
    This change can be really useful in group battles rather than a magDK having to build him/herself towards using heavy attacks. I am pretty sure more people than not use heavy attacks as a means to return resources rather than to deal heavy damage (yeah I know the undaunted heavy attack builds are out there once in a while at low or even mid pvp tiers but even they can use a bonus for resource returned).

Necromancer

Nightblade
    Blur To be honest, I see stamblades using shuffles because magicka cost for Blur (and of course its morphs Mirage and Phantasmal Escape is just a tad bit too high to justify running it over shuffle. I think it would be quite fair to reduce the base magicka cost of this ability from 3780 to 3000, wouldn't you? At least nightblades can slot Blur more often than shuffles making them feel like they are the elusive class. Wouldn't you agree?

Sorcerer
    I actually have quite the fun suggestion for this one: Encase. Now this skill's change is dependent on something else mentioned at the very bottom of this thread in an attempt to alleviate some annoyances for PVPers at the moment while making this skill more useful.
    Shattering Prison: Split this damage into two parts. First part is a DoT while enemy is encased deals X damage per second. The second part is the final damage that should do damage even if the opponent breaks free. Of course, this final burst damage should be lower than the damage it now is. As I said, some caveats are listed on the bottom of this thread as well.
    Restraining Prison: Since ZOS wants to promote sorchealers so much that they made a whole new heal based power surge, why not give it to them? Currently, to gain Major Vitality the skill HAS to snare something and extends duration for each enemy snared. This makes the skill not very useful when there is say, only one boss. My proposal is to make Restraining Prison get 3 seconds of Major Vitality on cast, regardless of hitting an enemy or not (while retaining +1s per enemy hit up to 6). I think for a skill with 3.8k base cost this wouldn't be too much to ask. It would make this morph an interesting healer oriented morph that can be useful for both PVE and PVP.

Templar
    I thought long and hard even as a templar player myself and I actually think both magplar and stamplars are working pretty well in dragonhold. Slot reserved for skill change but if I had to pick a class where all the skills seem pretty useful in one way or another and are actually being used here or there, I would pick templar for sure.

Warden
    Frozen Gate: While I recognize I get to see frozen gate and morphs used once in a century, I really wish this skill is made a bit friendlier to use because it is such a cool utility skill. I think my biggest gripe with the skill is probably the radius. Extending radius from 5m => 6m would help a bit.
    Next, I think instead of being able to spam this skill across the area (since we can have up to 3) a cool interaction (get the pun?) would be to be able to put only 2 portals down. However, if user of the ability steps on the older of the two portals, the user will be teleported to the location of the newer portal (this is to make the skill more mind-gamey, strategic, and a tradeoff between placement). This will be able to differentiate it from summon shade, but of course the retreat will be stuck with a 28m max radius for teleportation which can be another whole issue of awkwardness. Hey, I still think it would be quite fun.

General Fixes
    Ok, one last thing I want to mention is I think snare immunity in general should have a slightly longer duration from skills and the roll dodging snare immunity should be increased from 2s -> 4s as well. This is to prevent a lot of CC frustration that PVPers are experiencing from easy sources of snare that frankly just make the match about CC rather than the "fast paced combat" a lot of people prefer. Like seriously, our roll dodge cost increase is on a 4s CD and our snare immunity is 2s?!?! Make snares more impactful sure but make it less spammy.

Some interesting thoughts. Well done for putting time and effort int.

I have no idea why more people do not use frozen gate more. On my Nord Warden ice tank, I use it instead of leash to pull adds in. For me its better because I do not require line of sight when surrounded by adds to pull the ranged adds or the ones harassing team mates to me, I can do this while in a crowd. And I can have 3 out gates out, fire and forget. I love them.

Also I do not think the radius needs altered, its huge, but I wouldnt say no since I use them all the time ;-)
    Edited by Grianasteri on October 18, 2019 10:12AM
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

DragonKnight
    My proposal:

Necromancer

Nightblade

Sorcerer

Templar

Warden

General Fixes

I have no idea why more people do not use frozen gate more. On my Nord Warden ice tank, I use it instead of leash to pull adds in. For me its better because I do not require line of sight when surrounded by adds to pull the ranged adds or the ones harassing team mates to me, I can do this while in a crowd. And I can have 3 out gates out, fire and forget. I love them.

Also I do not think the radius needs altered, its huge, but I wouldnt say no since I use them all the time ;-)

Frozen device is not an issue. it's major maim is quite powerful. However, the other morph, Frozen Retreat is just not worth it at all. in pvp the synergy doesn't scale with distance of other 28m skills, making it always at 28m and making it feel very short range, in pve, it contradicts the playstyle that the tank should have. Pulling allies to you, when also trying to pull enemies to you, thus putting the ally in danger when the idea of the skill is that it allows them to "retreat". the synergy is fun, but a tank just isn't going to use that synergy to great effect especially when the other morph is really powerful, where as if the skill didn't pull enemies, thus becoming a root trap like a sorc mine and had a properly scaling synergy, it could be used to a greater extent by healers or group dps in pvp where it would have a niche.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on October 18, 2019 10:55AM
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

DragonKnight
    My proposal:

Necromancer

Nightblade

Sorcerer

Templar

Warden

General Fixes

Frozen device is not an issue. it's major maim is quite powerful. However, the other morph, Frozen Retreat is just not worth it at all. in pvp the synergy doesn't scale with distance of other 28m skills, making it always at 28m and making it feel very short range, in pve, it contradicts the playstyle that the tank should have. Pulling allies to you, when also trying to pull enemies to you, thus putting the ally in danger when the idea of the skill is that it allows them to "retreat". the synergy is fun, but a tank just isn't going to use that synergy to great effect especially when the other morph is really powerful, where as if the skill didn't pull enemies, thus becoming a root trap like a sorc mine and had a properly scaling synergy, it could be used to a greater extent by healers or group dps in pvp where it would have a niche.

Well I already think the Frozen gate is quite niche, given how different it is from the DK or Fighters guild "leash" skills.

Id not have any issues with the morphs being looked at. Its main use is to pull enemies and so long as that remains effective I am fairly happy.
  • Verbal_Earthworm
    Verbal_Earthworm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The phrase is "off the top of my head".
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭
    The phrase is "off the top of my head".

My bad, English is not my native language, guess my phrase was made off the top of my head ;) Have an insightful, thanks.
    Edited by chrightt on October 22, 2019 1:31PM