The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Suggestion for Light Attack Damage

EpicRekkoning
EpicRekkoning
✭✭✭
Make light attack damage scale off of your highest stat, rather than magicka/spell damage for staves and stam/weapon damage for everything else. This would allow an option for running sword and board for magicka dps builds and could help with additional survivability for magicka melee dps builds. I don't think it would change other setups because the passives on bows, 2h, and dual wield are too specific for stam dps classes. Thoughts?
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. They need to stick with what they have, incrementally tweak up and down instead of massive pendulum swings, and not shake up the game further. Your change would be a massive upheaval to many builds and gear selections.
  • Delparis
    Delparis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to lower the dmg of LA and increase HA dmg with an up to sustain so we can use more skills and less LA.
    ESO turned into a LA mmo which isn't good by any mean.
  • EpicRekkoning
    EpicRekkoning
    ✭✭✭
    buttaface wrote: »
    No. They need to stick with what they have, incrementally tweak up and down instead of massive pendulum swings, and not shake up the game further. Your change would be a massive upheaval to many builds and gear selections.

I dont agree that this would cause the pendulum to swing. The sword and board skill line does not offer any offensive passives that would benefit magicka builds. The two things you gain is extra max stats (which can offer some offensive damage) and survivability. Magicka DPS would drop on a sword and board bar because you lose the offensive stats from destro staff, so there's a lot of give and take here.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

As much as I agree to the pendelum argument, I still fancy the memories of e.g. DW mag builds. They were killed by the changes to Light Attack scaling. Also Hybrids will stay in the gutter with the current scaling. At least it somewhat forced people to learn weaving.
  • sly007
    sly007
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make light attack damage scale off of your highest stat, rather than magicka/spell damage for staves and stam/weapon damage for everything else. This would allow an option for running sword and board for magicka dps builds and could help with additional survivability for magicka melee dps builds. I don't think it would change other setups because the passives on bows, 2h, and dual wield are too specific for stam dps classes. Thoughts?

I agree. This will provide melee magicka builds with competitive light attack damage while using a melee weapon. Looking at mag dk, templar, and nb.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The OP wasn't suggesting any numbers changes for light/heavy attacks, so there wouldn't be any change to existing builds. Having light/heavy attacks scale with highest resource would do nothing else except open up build options, as magicka classes could make use of certain stamina weapons (dual wield swords, greatsword, sword and board being the main three).

In PvE, I wouldn't expect this to affect much, as destruction staves will still remain the go-to offensive weapon for magicka, due to the passives. But in PvP, this would open up more interesting build options for magDK and magplar, as they're designed to be played in melee range, and so could make use of melee weapons offensively (magDK especially).
    Delparis wrote: »
    They need to lower the dmg of LA and increase HA dmg with an up to sustain so we can use more skills and less LA.
    ESO turned into a LA mmo which isn't good by any mean.

1. How is ESO a "LA MMO" when you use LA's 1:1 with skills, LA's deal comparable damage to skills, and skills still offer far more power per use.

2. It's actually impossible to use more skills, because we already use the maximum amount of skills in as short a time as we can, as per the GCD.

3. Do you actually play the game, or do you just live on the forums and go off of what people complain about in the forums for your game knowledge? If the latter, that'd explain a lot...
  • Daddysadface
    Daddysadface
    ✭✭✭
    This has been said for years now. GL, I'm done. This game is a Circle Jerk while they are pickpocketing our wallets. So much confusion being broadcasted from the dev team. 5 years in and we are still in BETA trying to figure out what an Assassin class should feel and play like.. Really?
    Edited by Daddysadface on October 16, 2019 6:47PM
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This has been said for years now. GL, I'm done. This game is a Circle Jerk while they are pickpocketing our wallets. So much confusion being broadcasted from the dev team. 5 years in and we are still in BETA trying to figure out what an Assassin class should feel and play like.. Really?

LOL! Well stated.

A big part of the problem is every year or two a new combat team comes in wanting to show off their ingenuity and brilliance...and insulated in their egotistical bubble, all they end up doing is screwing things up even further. Maybe ZOS needs to 1) stop promoting people who specialize in a single type of combat, 2) hire a leader who understands that math equations are not a replacement for game enjoyment, and 3) stop hiring staff from YouTube. :/
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is long overdue. I definitely want to use daggers for melee magicka dps and this seems logical. All this staff BS... really this is first game in my life where I'm forced to use staves and only staves and nothing else. We don't have spell orbs, we don't have wands, we can't use daggers though those were available for mages in D&D for example, and of course in all previous TES games staff was just a trash/RP weapon and daedric daikatana or some daedric melee weapon was BiS.
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad part is that we were pretty close with nightblades. Then they tore it all apart.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I support this petition/discussion to change Light and Heavy Attack damage to scale to the character's highest offense pool.

When the originally game launched, I remember the developers claiming any character could use any weapon or armor type in the game, where the character were not limited into one or the other. It offered freedom of choice.

I understand where the original intent was to distinguish between melee weapons, bows, and staves; and by association, the method for calculating the different weapon skills tool-tips. Yet. Modifying the LA/HA damage algorithm shouldn't t cause a direct impact on the weapon skill algorithms for calculating damage or effects. What does remains consistent: is the necessity for players to build into stamina to optimize the effectiveness and efficiency those weapon skills i.e. Stamina abilities. The same necessity goes for players building into magic to optimize the utilization of the destructive or restoration skills. Therefore, having the modified LA/HA damage algorithm supports the developer's original claim and current, "play as you want," yet without minimizing the importance between both resources for creating stamina/magic character build. It would further expands and support the player base interested in creating hybrid character. And, provides an optional choice for character builds to divorce themselves from exclusively using staves in magic builds.

For example, magic Nightblades are still roguish assassins that have a higher benefit for using class magic oriented skills than their stamina counterpart; BUT, it doesn't mean their not trained in martial prowess and shouldn't necessarily be married to destruction staves unless the destruction staff skill line themselves will help the character "gap-fill" needs. Meanwhile, the same magic Nightblades won't excel in any weapon skill because they've developed and chosen the path of magic. This is where their stamina counterparts would excel and benefit using those weapon skills.

The same scenario example could be applied to other classes.

This petition/discussion in favor to modify the LA/HA damage algorithm shouldn't impact player's damage parses. Most likely, the LA/HA damage change would provide them with alternative weapon choices per action bars since their Light and Heavy Attack weaves would cause (thereabouts) the same damage; EXCEPT, upholding the distinction between melee, bows, and staves would still remain "in force," in accordance to the governing resource that determines which one would then benefit from the heavy attacks to restore resources. And, this should remain, as is and be a character build variable when deciding which weapon better suits their character's build.
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »
    The OP wasn't suggesting any numbers changes for light/heavy attacks, so there wouldn't be any change to existing builds. Having light/heavy attacks scale with highest resource would do nothing else except open up build options, as magicka classes could make use of certain stamina weapons (dual wield swords, greatsword, sword and board being the main three)

Oh, so you don't think allowing players to run magicka and stam passives affecting LAs on different bars of one build would result in more imbalance and resulting nerf crying, lead to more and more nerfs? Have you met ESO? OK then.

• KillsAllElves
    KillsAllElves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is long overdue. I definitely want to use daggers for melee magicka dps and this seems logical. All this staff BS... really this is first game in my life where I'm forced to use staves and only staves and nothing else. We don't have spell orbs, we don't have wands, we can't use daggers though those were available for mages in D&D for example, and of course in all previous TES games staff was just a trash/RP weapon and daedric daikatana or some daedric melee weapon was BiS.

Using daggers as a weapon for a magic build other than getting a SD bonus would be a battlemage, with the way damage scales in eso a battlemage wouldnt work.

• Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, so you don't think allowing players to run magicka and stam passives affecting LAs on different bars of one build would result in more imbalance and resulting nerf crying, lead to more and more nerfs? Have you met ESO? OK then.

These passives are already active and do not cause imbalance. Several weapon passives are specific when using a skill from the weapon skill line. This doesn't change. That's the misconception here. The only difference would be the LA/HA attack damage scaling to the highest offense resource. Weapon passives won't miraculously change. At most, they'd be more like variables of the character build: that's not bad either. Variety is good.
  • sly007
    sly007
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sahidom wrote: »

These passives are already active and do not cause imbalance. Several weapon passives are specific when using a skill from the weapon skill line. This doesn't change. That's the misconception here. The only difference would be the LA/HA attack damage scaling to the highest offense resource. Weapon passives won't miraculously change. At most, they'd be more like variables of the character build: that's not bad either. Variety is good.

A passive would be actually very interesting. Something like 1 extra passive in every weapon skills line that has a pasive which changes the current weapon light attack scaling to stamina for the magic weapons, and to magicka for the stamina weapons.
  • EpicRekkoning
    EpicRekkoning
    ✭✭✭
    My original suggestion was NOT to change any passives or add passives, but just change how LA/HA scale for damage. The passives for bows, dual wield, and 2H are all geared towards weapon damage and stam, so if used with magicka builds, they wouldn't cause an imbalance. Sword and board is different in that the passive are built around defense. Being able to equip a sword/board on a magicka build has defensive advantages, even in PVE. You have block mitigation, damage mitigation while blocking, and you have the ability to switch CP from those areas to other things. All this comes at a price though. You lose some damage by not having a destro staff equipped and having access to those passives.

Switching LA/HA damage to scale off of max stat won't create a balance issue, but would give a new style of play - magicka brawler
    Edited by EpicRekkoning on October 21, 2019 3:39PM
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep nerf LA as they do 25% of the a current parse.
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The OP wasn't suggesting any numbers changes for light/heavy attacks, so there wouldn't be any change to existing builds. Having light/heavy attacks scale with highest resource would do nothing else except open up build options, as magicka classes could make use of certain stamina weapons (dual wield swords, greatsword, sword and board being the main three)

That would be a hybrid build, do you know how well hybrid builds perform in ESO? Hint: Not very well.

Almost all of the passives for melee weapons and bows are only useful for stam, and all of the passives for staves are only useful for mag. Sword and board is useful to both, as it's a defensive/utility weapon, but it still prefers stam over mag. Allowing mag to use melee weapons just opens up build options, as the passives still wouldn't be all that useful to mag.

Trying to make use of stam passives on a mag build is precisely what a true hybrid build tries to aim for, and they typically don't perform very well. This wouldn't make them perform much better, so I think we're good.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    That would be a hybrid build, do you know how well hybrid builds perform in ESO? Hint: Not very well.

You're assuming the character levels their attribute points between two stats; this is a cliche impression. You could easily lean heavy on using more of their magic class skills and stamina for damage (since stamina defaults to damage only). Its how much resources are needed to have a smooth play style. This doesn't always equate out to stat point distribution, sets, food/drink choices, and weapons go into these builds.
    Trying to make use of stam passives on a mag build is precisely what a true hybrid build tries to aim for, and they typically don't perform very well. This wouldn't make them perform much better, so I think we're good.

You may have a disconnect here. Weapon (stamina) passives on a magic build already exist. Changing the LA/HA damage to scale on the highest attribute doesn't change that already-existing fact about passives. As said before, all players would still need to build into the appropriate resource to fully benefit using melee, bow, and destruction/restoration staff skills.

You would also be incorrect, they would perform better with the proposed LA/HA damage change and be more rounded and capable than a specialized-dependent on 3rd party type build. As said before, variety is good. I wouldn't smug hybrids just because I didn't like the builds.