The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why no account wide achievement points?

• todokete
    todokete
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each character is it's own person so it wouldn't make sense. It favours roleplayers
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.

Personally I really dislike the idea of account-wide achievements. As has been said above, how I play my main 5 year plus stamblade who has done most things is different to my new necro. Haven’t done those achievements yet so why would I want something that says I have?

You want to be a ‘completionist’ then complete the content on that character.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Was going to also point out that one of my guilds has a competition each month around increase in achievement points - encourages new players (and old!) to get involved & try different bits of the game.

Account wide points would ruin this.
  • Sirona_Starr
    Sirona_Starr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completely support account wide achievements. My main toon - played for 5 years has not gotten all the achievements yet, nor all the eidetic books - I'm not going to regrind what has taken 5 years on one, on all. CP is granted across all toons, I don't see why achievements are blocked?

I've heard the argument re titles - "Imagine a level 7 with the title of Emperor!" So what? All the title indicates is that the player behind the accounts has some skills regardless of the level (given CP has been allocated the level is kind of fake in the first place).

My main, as an example, has not gotten the Buzzing Wamasu Spine............ I avoid killing Wamasu as much as possible on other toons, because sure as hell one of them will get it............ that would drive me bonkers........ so........

I would pay for account wide achievements in a heartbeat. I haven't paid for things like shards and stuff because they are so easy to get........ anyway, that's my two cents. Account wide achievements doesn't impact the toons "power" in the game, so it doesn't hurt anyone else if they were implemented, and would certainly make achievement oriented players happy :)

Wanted to add a bit more, since others have commented. Account wide achievements doesn't discourage players from making/playing alts. I have 15 toons on NA and 8 on EU. I play different toons to explore different classes and play styles. Account wide achievements would not have stopped me from making and playing those toons. It does stop me from using those toons for certain things, because achievements are basically tied to my main right now - like I said above ^^. Or during certain events. It's actually the opposite of what those against achievement sharing are saying...... re "Why would you make an alt?" CP (which is power) is shared, skins, etc. It makes no sense those are shared, and others are not. I'd like to have all my toons kill wamasu, I really would, hahaha. BUT - it's my main that's missing that spine, and I don't want it sitting out there on another toon and not on my main.... that's a luck achievement, which suck.

Given I've played 5 years and my main still hasn't completed the achievements - put 5 years on each toon, and that would mean at least 50 years of play time to get achievements on all the toons. Not possible.

Edited by Sirona_Starr on October 12, 2019 12:25PM
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    wont happen, imagine completing VMA and getting the stormproof title on a cheese sorc build and then putting that title on a soft and squishy Alt you would be giving the impression that that character was stronger than it is.
  • Rukia541
    Rukia541
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    barney2525 wrote: »
    I never understand these threads.

What would the point of playing a new character be if they started with All the achievements completed?

How about experiencing a different class and playstyle?
  • Sirona_Starr
    Sirona_Starr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wont happen, imagine completing VMA and getting the stormproof title on a cheese sorc build and then putting that title on a soft and squishy Alt you would be giving the impression that that character was stronger than it is.

Actually, the impression is that the player was able to get that achievement - don't see titles as "Wow - look at that toon and what the title is!", the impression is "Wow, look at that player and what that player did."
    Edited by Sirona_Starr on October 12, 2019 12:29PM
  • Sirona_Starr
    Sirona_Starr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rukia541 wrote: »

What would the point of playing a new character be if they started with All the achievements completed?

I play 15 toons on NA and 8 on EU for exactly the reason of experiencing a different class and playstyle - see a couple of comments above, and I strongly support account wide achievements.
    Edited by Sirona_Starr on October 12, 2019 1:57PM
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Uh, I play 15 toons on NA and 8 on EU for exactly the reason of experiencing a different class and playstyle - see a couple of comments above, and I strongly support account wide achievements.

Well I do roughly the same and I am strongly AGAINST account wide achievements 😉
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Actually, the impression is that the player was able to get that achievement - don't see titles as "Wow - look at that toon and what the title is!", the impression is "Wow, look at that player and what that player did."

but it would a false impression
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭

It's no different from an alt running a skin which was obtained by another character. The same false impression could be said in this instance as well ... and yet, skins are account wide.
    High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
    Over 37,500 Achievements!
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No offense but this has been asked and discussed a bazillion times....yes most people seem to be in favor of it, zos seems unwilling or unable to implement it

make dem!
  • Sirona_Starr
    Sirona_Starr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »

Uh, I play 15 toons on NA and 8 on EU for exactly the reason of experiencing a different class and playstyle - see a couple of comments above, and I strongly support account wide achievements.

Well I do roughly the same and I am strongly AGAINST account wide achievements 😉

The point I was making was regarding "If there were account wide achievements, why would anyone make an alt?" - Clearly I am achievement focused and have made many alts, and yet, my main is my achievement toon, because it would take 50 or more years to have my alts get to the same achievement level as my main. Not only would I long be dead before that was achievable, so would the game.
    Edited by Sirona_Starr on October 12, 2019 2:02PM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weesacs wrote: »
    Im confused. The people who don't seem to want account wide achievements appear to not care about them anyway. Additionally, I see loads of low level players and alts running around with certain skins their main achieved.

So why not apply the same concept to acheivements?
    They might just do that, someday, if people keep asking for it.
    In exactly the same 'mirror from main' way they did skyshards or guilds.
    For a nice, big chunk of cash-shop crowns to further their profits from all the ones who want this.
    Still sound like such a good idea to you???

What we could use a lot more is an account-wide -overview- page for achievements, to see which character done what when, and a total score across all our alts... they could move the dye and other unlocks there, and maybe even add some more for multiple completions... like, "complete mainstory with every class, get 'mannimarco' outfit" or "reach level 50 with every race, get 'tamriel map' furniture piece" or "gain emperor with every alliance, get 'conoration robes' costume..." - that sort of thing.

Which would be valid IF all the characters and builds were equal.
    They are not.
    Some things are -way- easer on some classes/builds.
    And that is why it makes sense for titles to be character-bound in many cases.
    So, yeah, its more like "Oh, yeah, yet another one who did it with a cheese Sorc" and "Wow, look at what that player did - with a nightblade!"

As for the titles that merely require some legwork... well, if you want it on that alt, you can just do all the legwork again on that alt, and if you don't want to bother... then you will just have to do without because you didn't really wanted the title anyhow, right?
    And if you whine about it long enough on the forums... ZOS might just let you buy mirroring all non-skillful titles fromn your main -just- like they did with skyshards or guilds... :p;)

It's no different from an alt running a skin which was obtained by another character. The same false impression could be said in this instance as well ... and yet, skins are account wide.
    ...and that is why skins are no measure - because they are account wide, and because the non-account-wide titles serve as the "look what I managed!" niche.
    Skins are one thing, titles another... so why should that mean they need to make it all equal???

Especially since ZOS has struck a pretty neat balance between account-wide and character-bound stuff, many other games I played had far less account wide stuff - which is why I always dislike it when the "gimme crowd" people quite that structural kindness from ZOS as a reason to demand even more!
    The point I was making was regarding "If there were account wide achievements, why would anyone make an alt?"
    Achievements do not neccessarily figure into alting.
    Some just want to testdrive a different class or build. Some have more then one character idea they want to roleplay. Some want to keep their crafting on a seperate character from their combat-specialized main, or even overspecialize each character for PvE, PvP and crafting. Some like a new class better then the old ones and want to build up a new main. Some want to sky on other alliances in cyrodil. Et cetera...

For some, achievements are a reason not to alt, because they want it all, and doing it all -again- on an alt seems boring to them. For others, its the opposite, they delight in chasing the same thing on a different build, both to have something to do, and also to see if it gets easier on other setups...
    And some care less about the achievements, and only use them to check on their characters progress, see what they have already done and what they still have to do on this or that alt of theirs, but don't really see it as a neccessity either way...
    So the whole "achievements and alts" argument is very, very subjective.
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The moment they add account wide achievements and titles is the moment I make alts on ESO.
    PvP needs more love.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im confused. The people who don't seem to want account wide achievements appear to not care about them anyway.

Just to make it clear, because my previous post wasn't exactly cristal : I'm totally in favor of account-wide achievements. Makes tracking them easier, makes not having to relog to a character to buy one special furniture for the house and whatnot...

However, I don't get why people make so much of a fuss over a meaningless score that has no purpose.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice. Its the reason i only have 2 characters
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have been reading this thread (& contributing) and I just really don’t get why people want achievements account wide - and why it stops them making alts?

Think @TheShadowScout gave a good reply which included my main issue - why should my new necro have access to my pvp title, or show all vet dungeons completed, when its not even lvl 5? I can’t play it as well as my main, so showing I have those achievements is, well, utterly false.

The achievement points in game also help to show what you have/haven’t yet done. Useful when have multiple characters.

If you make achievements account wide, it would make them rather meaningless, and a useless feature (in respect to measuring certain progress)

If you want this just because you like all the yellow bars filled in, then that might be due to some sort of OCD, which which I can empathise, but it is not a good reason to change the game.
  • Sirona_Starr
    Sirona_Starr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been reading this thread (& contributing) and I just really don’t get why people want achievements account wide - and why it stops them making alts?

Think @TheShadowScout gave a good reply which included my main issue - why should my new necro have access to my pvp title, or show all vet dungeons completed, when its not even lvl 5? I can’t play it as well as my main, so showing I have those achievements is, well, utterly false.

The achievement points in game also help to show what you have/haven’t yet done. Useful when have multiple characters.

If you make achievements account wide, it would make them rather meaningless, and a useless feature (in respect to measuring certain progress)

If you want this just because you like all the yellow bars filled in, then that might be due to some sort of OCD, which which I can empathise, but it is not a good reason to change the game.

Let me know how you feel after 5 years in the game, and you don't have all the achievements completed on one toon, let alone, a possibility of 36 alts over two servers. Perhaps they could do some kind of account wide split - any zone guide achievements are not included. I do repeat many of the zone guide type achievements. There are some achievements I will never get, but I spend more time avoiding getting some achievements on alts because my main doesn't have it yet, and it doesn't feel the same if an alt gets it. BTW a potential of 36 alts, on average taking, lets say 4 years to get all achievements = 144 years of game play. If my main is missing one and an alt gets it, I would like it to show up on the main toon, I have spent 5 years achievement hunting on. It's the player behind the toons at the end of the day. That doesn't hurt any other player in any way. OR, give players who are against account wide achievements the opportunity to opt out of that. Then it's win/win.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Sirona_Starr

Have over 4 years in the game, don’t have all achievements on my main, let alone my other 17 characters (plus starting 2 on NA at the moment)! Know that I am never going to max out this - and don’t care!

Just does not sit right that all my characters get all the achievements without actually having to do them. Feels almost like cheating.

As said previously, why should my noob necro get the benefit of my stamblade’s hours in pvp, or vet trials? Why would I bother with my alts if I could not see their progress?

Have all the skyshards on my main, but would not dream of just getting those on another character, especially by purchase (lol). It does not take that much time looking for them, and you learn to play whilst you are doing it, trying out different skills/combos on the way.

Having everything opened up to all once done seems - well, pointless.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Some achievements Do have account-wide effect. But they are in account wide items, like collectibles.

B)
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow got account wide achievements eventually and it was actually labeled as to what characters got the achievement. You had a cumulative score and a character score. I think this would be a good way to go for ESO.

This would be a great solution. Especially since tittles should be earned by the character.

It would also be helpful that a player can link they cleared X content even when they are not on the character they cleared it on. It would be hard to object to.
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow got account wide achievements eventually and it was actually labeled as to what characters got the achievement. You had a cumulative score and a character score. I think this would be a good way to go for ESO.

Makes sense to me. I'm in favor.
  • Sirona_Starr
    Sirona_Starr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sirona_Starr

Have over 4 years in the game, don’t have all achievements on my main, let alone my other 17 characters (plus starting 2 on NA at the moment)! Know that I am never going to max out this - and don’t care!

Just does not sit right that all my characters get all the achievements without actually having to do them. Feels almost like cheating.

As said previously, why should my noob necro get the benefit of my stamblade’s hours in pvp, or vet trials? Why would I bother with my alts if I could not see their progress?

Have all the skyshards on my main, but would not dream of just getting those on another character, especially by purchase (lol). It does not take that much time looking for them, and you learn to play whilst you are doing it, trying out different skills/combos on the way.

Having everything opened up to all once done seems - well, pointless.

I did suggest some alternatives re not everything - and I agree, I'm not buying shards. The fact they opened up shards which does give a character power re skill points, that they didn't earn, as opposed to achievements like Tamriel Beast Collector, points out not universal for everything. Some other people had some good ideas too on how to implement this. I bother with my alts to experience different play styles and skills.......... what benefit does your noob necro get exactly? I'm looking at it the other way around. I would like my alts to contribute to my main's progress re achievements - especially the RNG ones. Fishing....... Why would I fish with an alt, who might end up with a fish I can't seem to get on my main? I'd like to see achievements as more a team effort - and after all, they all exist and progress to reflect the player......... You seemed to miss the part above where I mentioned ideas different from "ALL."

Also, if they offered account wide which you pay for like shards, i(f you don't want to hunt them), no one is FORCING you to buy the account wide achievements that they could come up with, including some restrictions. So you would still have a point to play something other than your main, and I would have a point to having all my alts participate in some achievements I won't let them do, in the case of the fish example above..... I'd like them to play as a team, to reflect, me, the player, who plays them all. You don't see it that way, don't buy, if we have the opportunity to buy. Simple.
    Edited by Sirona_Starr on October 13, 2019 9:55PM