The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Flip Khajiit and Bosmer stealth passives?

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Khajiit can smell better than other men and mer, right? For example, Khamira at the Halls of Colossus says she can smell that men were here ahead of them.

So suppose Khajiit are the ones with better Stealth Detection? And Bosmer are better at Stealth Radius Reduction (being typically smaller in size and with a cultural preference for sneakiness in the woods and commando action).
Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 4, 2019 10:44AM
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add the roll passive, then sure. Otherwise, no way.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To be honest, the detection passive is a bucket of garbage no matter how you slice it. Does absolutely 100% NOTHING outside of PVP-land, and is so insignificant as to be pointless even there. Both Khajiit and Bosmer are supposed to be exceptionally good at stealth, and this has been reflected by both having bonuses in previous games (Bosmer had the higher bonus in Morrowind and Oblivion, Khajiit in Skyrim). The detection bonus should be killed, the corpse shredded, the shreds burned, the ashes doused with stale urine, with the muddy mess then buried in a swamp on a moonless night at midnight.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO both races (plus Argonians - a traditionally stealthy race) should have the stealth radius reduction.

Khajiit traditionally had the Night Eye perk, and Bosmer are hunters, so those two should both have a detection radius increase. (No detection radius increase for Argonians.) This would make sense for all three races lore-wise, and it's fairly balanced too.
    Edited by Gnortranermara on October 5, 2019 1:26AM
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    IMO both races (plus Argonians - a traditionally stealthy race) should have the stealth radius reduction.

Khajiit traditionally had the Night Eye perk, and Bosmer are hunters, so those two should both have a detection radius increase. (No detection radius increase for Argonians.) This would make sense for all three races lore-wise, and it's fairly balanced too.

Argonians and Dunmer had a stealth bonus in Skyrim. Argonians also have Shadowscales, while Dunmer have the Morag and Camonna Tongs. So, yeah, there's some lore to support those races having a bonus to sneaking; however, I don't think as strong a bonus. Argonians are as magic oriented as stealth oriented, and Dunmer are jack-of-all-trades. Bosmer and Khajiit are one-trick-ponies -- stealth is their groove. I've previously said I'd like to see Dunmer and Argonians get a 1.5m reduction while Bosmer and Khajiit get the 3m one. If any race should get the burden benefit of the detection bonus, it should be Orcs. Hypervigilant to the point of paranoia, the Orcs are the only race to have lore stating that they are good at spotting people in hiding. Every race has hunters, and the lore explicitly states that Bosmer are great hunters because they are not seen by their prey, not because Bosmer are extra good at spotting things.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still feel like they should give players the option. Give each race a bucket list of passives that are in line with the known qualities of the race but not unique to them. Players will choose a set number of passives based on their goal with the character. So Redguards, Orcs and Nords might have similar lists of tanky passives while Khajiit, Bosmer and Argonians might have a similar list of sneaky passives. But those six races might have a mixed bag of other passives for healing and ranged damage. You could still build your Bosmer as a ranged sorcerer if you so choose but it would not negatively impact another player that sought to make their Bosmer into the traditional sneaky rogue like nightblade.

By constantly changing the passives and allowing certain races to corner the market on certain metas, playstyles and class choices. They are doing the opposite of balancing the game.
    Edited by Korah_Eaglecry on October 5, 2019 5:15AM
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree it would make more sense for Khajiit to have the detection “bonus” than Bosmer but I wouldn’t wish that pointless passive on any race and both Bosmer and Khajiit have traditionally been the most stealthy and so should both get the reduced detection radius. I don’t know why ZOS changed that; it’s not like it’s the only bonus that characterizes both races. :/
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If Stealth Detection is so minor, maybe they can bundle it with Stealth Radius and give Khajiit and Bosmer different amounts of each at each passive tier.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Breton king of stealth racial passives don’t determine how good your character is.
  • DreadDaedroth
    DreadDaedroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give the same bonus to both races they'll not be less unique or different from each other due it.