The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are JC Master Writs Worth It Now?

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I am not clear if the current batch of JC master writs are worth doing. How can I figure that out?

I am on the PS4 and I have a pile of gold, purple and blue ones now.
PC
PS4/PS5
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    figure out how much each will cost to make against the sale price of writ if you sold it if the former is higher than the latter then the answer is NO if the the other way round the answer is YES

JCwrit of say 200wv is worth lets say 100k if it cost 120k to make then its worthless
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On PC/NA they are now borderline (not good, but not bad), because of an increase in cost for Iridium Platings.

I don't know the economy on PS4, so it may be different.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    On PC/NA they are now borderline (not good, but not bad), because of an increase in cost for Iridium Platings.

I don't know the economy on PS4, so it may be different.

That is what is harder for me. I just pile the mats up now. I only sold a few in the past on PS4 EU to raise gold, but now I am doing well with gold so I want to just keep them for when I need to upgrade something in the future.

I spend enough time as it is. I don't want to head all over the place to see what things are really worth. Maybe I will just delete the JC master writs and not bother for now at least.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Atm the purple and golden master writs are better: cheaper to make and they reward more vouchers than before.
    But you need to know how much you will have to spend per voucher, but generally they are more than worth it.
    I think you may have to think twice when crafting traits more difficult/expensive to obtain like triune, really think if the cost is worth the reward.

Personally I don't do any math since I have gathered more enough resources along my years of playing ESO.

Edit: typo
    Edited by redlink1979 on September 19, 2019 10:05AM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot depends upon what you fell is worth it and how you obtain materials. I gather or deconstruct all of my materials which supplies me with enough Iridium to cover Master Writs. Due to this I feel most of the blues are worth doing because I am still in acquisition mode for crafting plans purchased with vouchers. The only ones I don't do require Triune. For these I will probably start deleting them as the couple I've put up for sale haven't moved. For purple and gold writs I'm currently banking or selling them as I have use for the plating on my alts gear.
    Edited by Alinhbo_Tyaka on September 19, 2019 1:37PM
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Alinhbo_Tyaka Agree. Blue master writs requiring triune are not worth doing due to the supply of triune. Cost per voucher is too high.
    Edited by redlink1979 on September 19, 2019 3:55PM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Atm the purple and golden master writs are better: cheaper to make and they reward more vouchers than before.
    But you need to know how much you will have to spend per voucher, but generally they are more than worth it.
    I think you may have to think twice when crafting traits more difficult/expensive to obtain like triune, really think if the cost is worth the reward.

Personally I don't do any math since I have gathered more enough resources along my years of playing ESO.

Edit: typo

I don't want to go through all the math either. I likely don't have as much saved up as you do, but I have saved up a bit.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They have been worth it to me so far, since doing daily JC writs has boosted my stash a bit. I've only done the blues with easy-to-obtain traits, which for me are arcane, robust, healthy, infused, and protective. I don't do the content to obtain bloodthirsty, harmony, or triune. Blue MWs with those traits I've sold really cheap just to get them out of my inventory and not clog up valuable trader slots.

I won't do any purple ones in those three traits, either, though I would probably do them in legendary (but not triune). On PC, I was lucky to get an infused legendary MW for 606 vouchers. On console, I've done lots more writs and have gotten entirely blues up until this past weekend, where I got one purple (infused) for 202 and another for 184 (protective, I think). I'll do those since I source all my own mats and never buy mats to complete writs.

It's harder on console to determine the cost of doing the MW vs. the profit of just selling it. Since I'd rather have the vouchers for the new furnishing documents and the upcoming Murkmire ones (and presumably Elsweyr in the future), they're worth doing for me as long as I have the resources. And my resources for platings is increasing, even having done a half dozen or so blue MWs.

You should consider if you'd rather have the vouchers or the gold from selling the MW, and whether it would be worth it to you to dip into your stash or buy the mats (if necessary) to complete them.
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a Legendary Infused-trait JC master writ that had 635 writ vouchers, purchased it for 20k.
    Then I had to buy the 4 Chromium Platings to go with it (4 x 70k each = 280k).
    So, the whole process costed me 300k total, plus the value of my own mats that I already had (the blue & purple platings).
    I sold 3 Aetherial Dust for 325k to make up for the whole process.

At least I have the Divine Gold dye color unlocked now, though. :)
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Darkmage1337
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,800.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    I don't do the content to obtain bloodthirsty, harmony, or triune.

Harmony - just run normal daily dungeon because pulverized dibellium is a guaranteed drop from rewards.
    Bloodthirsty - just run normal trials once a week. Bloodthisty stone is a guaranteed drop in the weekly trial reward.
    Triune - there's a chance of being rewarded from daily quests in Cyro. Or you can buy the style material from War Researchers with AP. Or traders.
    Edited by redlink1979 on September 20, 2019 10:31AM
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen a few writs that were over the "worth it" line for blue jewelry. Higher ones still not worth it. I am getting lots of chromium grains from the daily writs though, so maybe the price will drop in time. Still relatively few zircon.
  • AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not worth doing to me - I have everything I need from the voucher vendor so the only reason why I would do a gold writ is to sell the item - ie a ebony book or transmute station - at a profit.

I can get an ebony book for 300 vouchers and sell it for 200k no problems - after guild trader fees that's 613.3333 gold returned per voucher.

I would point out that I do the above very infrequently. I actually hoard my gold MW's in case something awesome appears in a later patch.

I can easily get 300 vouchers using blacksmith and woodwork gold writs at a per voucher cost which is lower - often far lower - than the breakeven of 613 gold per voucher. In addition, the gold tempers involved are obtained pretty much for free from writs and refining from the surveys - so why would I use JC mats which are still very much harder to obtain?

Doesn't make sense - so the JC writs got up for sale.
    Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AndyMac wrote: »
    I can easily get 300 vouchers using blacksmith and woodwork gold writs at a per voucher cost which is lower - often far lower - than the breakeven of 613 gold per voucher. In addition, the gold tempers involved are obtained pretty much for free from writs and refining from the surveys - so why would I use JC mats which are still very much harder to obtain?

Doesn't make sense - so the JC writs got up for sale.

For new people without a lot of research and motifs, JC has a 2 lines of reserch and no motifs. So in the very early stage when your research isn't filled out, JC can get you started on vouchers faster, especially if you are aiming for the storage boxes only. And, of course, if you are willing to pay the cost for that time savings.

Later, once you have a crafter with lots of motifs and research lines (e.g., even if you get a writ for Orc motif or something easy, you still need research for that particular body part and armor weight), it matters much less.

As for tempers -- some people consider blue jewelry writs to be "free" of temper cost because they can farm iridium from dolmens and such. And blue jewelry writs do often come in cheap traits like Arcane.
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    Over the weekend I got a blue JC writ for a necklace, triune trait. Would have paid 26 vouchers, not worth it, destroyed. A few weeks ago I got another blue JC writ for a ring, infused trait, 28 vouchers. In that case I forgot that I only had 2 aurbic amber so I opened it. I would probably have destroyed it otherwise, unless I could find the trait material cheap somewhere. I'll be doing the Psijic skill line on all my characters so I'll eventually farm more of it.

The only JC writs I'll be doing are arcane, robust and healthy, blue would be worth it for anywhere from 24-30+ vouchers.