The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Vanus Galerion portal runes

NumericDreamz
In "The Citadel Must Fall", Vanus Galerion opens a portal that members from the Mages Guild pass through into the Citadel. All of the other portals I've seen project Daedric runes onto the ground but the runes around this one do not match any of the characters in the Daedric alphabet that I know of.

I'm by no means a lore expert but I've recently taken an interest in the Daedric alphabet and just happened to notice this. Forgive me if this turns out to be a n00b question.

1g2qpavicx39.png
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't this portal not a contemporary one, but one that was in place during the time the ruined city was active, and they are simply re-activating it?
  • NumericDreamz
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Isn't this portal not a contemporary one, but one that was in place during the time the ruined city was active, and they are simply re-activating it?

Yes, yes it is.
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vanus... But without the v.

>.<
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes, yes it is.

Right, so it may be they just substituted some random graphics to make that distinction. Although that seems a rather small detail that is more likely something they'd overlook.

That "E" in the middle seems familiar though.
  • NumericDreamz

Yeah, I agree, but it's not in the Daedric alphabet and a reverse image search yielded no results. I just have a hard time resigning it to nonsense imagery considering 99% of the runes found in the world actually translate into real text.

Does the ZOS loremaster have an email addy? Would it be possible to just ask ZOS directly?
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I agree, but it's not in the Daedric alphabet and a reverse image search yielded no results. I just have a hard time resigning it to nonsense imagery considering 99% of the runes found in the world actually translate into real text.

Does the ZOS loremaster have an email addy? Would it be possible to just ask ZOS directly?

Probably does have an @name for forums. I think they were featured in a twitch stream a couple months back. He was like the new guy taking over the loremaster role so they were introducing him.
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to me like some of the symbols/letters bear a resemblance to Altmer or even Ayleid. Maybe it's Aldmer? Vanus being a former Psijic, the Psijic's known for their use of "The Old Ways"... yada, yada. Just a thought, no real facts or evidence for the theory. Unfortunately I don't see anything close to the most prominent symbol in the center, in any of the elven languages

ETA: Meant to include a link to elven alphabets: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Elven_Alphabets

Edited by Number_51 on September 30, 2019 2:19PM