The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Perfect Roe

Slatra
Slatra
✭✭
The drop rate on this seems a bit low. After filleting a little more than 200 fish and not getting a single one, I'm looking at my past perfect roe and it looks like well over a thousand fish for 4 of these rare crafting materials.
It's great to have some rare things to chase, for sure... but these are for crafting a consumable. How many hours of fishing is a player expected to do in order to gain the 8 hrs of buff you can get from a single perfect roe? More than 8?

It just seems a little too rare for a consumable crafting material. I'm sure people complain about it pretty often and are dismissed and possibly even laughed at but I seriously wish ZOS would revisit the drop rate of this item.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

maybe bad RNG. For me it is 1% since i started fishing years ago. I am at some 8900 fish and gained 89 roe.
  • Destiel_Cackles
    Destiel_Cackles
    Soul Shriven
    I'm a relatively new player (since April this year), but only started fishing two weeks ago. In that two weeks I've got three perfect roe, two of them while filleting the same batch of fish, approximately 35 fish in total in the batch. I couldn't believe it.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a 1 in 100 chance, but its a clean roll each time. So you could get 3 in 30 or none in 300.

As with all RNG, you need large sample sizes to properly test the expected drop rate, and 200 fish is nowhere near a large sample size.
  • AngelaWasp
    AngelaWasp
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a relatively new player (since April this year), but only started fishing two weeks ago. In that two weeks I've got three perfect roe, two of them while filleting the same batch of fish, approximately 35 fish in total in the batch. I couldn't believe it.

Yes, your experience is similar to how mine was as a new fishing player. The same also, with a friend of mine. However, the more we both fished, the fewer perfect roe we both filleted and it has gone into the 200's for both of us now that we have been fishing for some months.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's how they reel you in. Give a few extra bobbles when you are new and take them away once you are hooked. :D

(fishing references intended)
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bad rng, bud. I'm also around the +-1% rate. Some days are better than others.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Slatra
    Slatra
    ✭✭
    0.53%
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It's how they reel you in. Give a few extra bobbles when you are new and take them away once you are hooked. :D

(fishing references intended)

That wouldn't surprise me at all. I tried my hand at some Summerset fishing yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to get a Perfect Roe in the first batch of fish. I almost missed it. It didn't happen again, though I have not fished enough since to know if that was a pure fluke or otherwise.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just did Master Angler - ended up with about 50 Roe - I didn’t keep stats but it seemed like about 1 per hundred on average.

Sometimes I got 3 very quickly and once or twice I’d skin 150+ fish and get zero.
    Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, RNG is your best friend or worst enemy...
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's definitely a "newb" bonus in the fishing roll that quickly wears off. Don't let anyone tell you different. Almost every aspect of loot tables in all these types of games is heavily weighted.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll find some good statistics in this post and the comments: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/456559/30-master-anglers-proof-that-the-artaeum-pickled-fish-bowl-works/

1 in 100 is pretty accurate over large numbers of fish.