The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cyrodiil Performance

Kalixte
Kalixte
✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs9dgPapNOQ

@FENGRUSH talks about this way better than I will ever do and is entirely worth watching (01:45:00 is the key moment). You want feedback from us, here is some, with several solutions that would significantly improve the awful performances and unminded gameplay Cyrodiil has to offer these days. Please answer this: why such an obvious good change is still not happening?

@ZOS_BrianWheeler
@ZOS_Gilliam
Edited by Kalixte on September 26, 2019 3:25PM
PC/EU server
  • Kalixte
    Kalixte
    ✭✭✭
    Burying your heads in the sand, you are really good at this, 5 years of practice tho so I guess no surprise here. Sorry, i'm a bit of a stubborn d*ckhead.
    PC/EU server
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this the same discussion referenced here? https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/494988/cyrodiil-performance-group-size-and-heals

If not, a summary would be nice. Since you really shouldnt bump your own thread without adding actual content.
  • Kalixte
    Kalixte
    ✭✭✭
    Well, didn't know someone else already made one, but thank you for the link. In the end, not really surprising someonde did and it's a good thing. Better be insistent with Zenimax anyway. Finally, the state of PvP is worrying me a bit more than forum rules.
    Edited by Kalixte on September 26, 2019 3:27PM
    PC/EU server
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Believe it or not, sorting a list is pretty efficient.

And he is wrong, you don't have to sort the list with every "smart" heal that gets cast. You just need to maintain one list that every smart heal references. You only have it update it once for every time slice. So you only need to look up who is at the top of the list, not sort the entire list.

If they are using an implementation that needlessly sorts the list every time a smart heal is cast, they need to fix their implementation, not nerf smart heals.

Fengrush just wants to see the healing nerfed and he's coming up with a reason to justify it. In general, he is pretty heavily biased toward stamina builds and the performance of his own group compositions.

He goes on to argue we should limit AoE heals (which are NOT smart heals) to only group members -- but then he excludes single-target heals like BoL which are actually a smart heals. So his own position is inconsistent.

Comparing it to a lack of "smart damage" is silly because you can actively target opponents. You can't target allies.

He just wants his own groups to be able to stomp less organized groups more easily. Which is fine to some extent, organized play should be an advantage. But he what he proposes to do with healing would just be a bloodbath.

It would actually make zerging worse as casuals wouldn't be able to play without joining a "type X in zone" zerg groups, and seeing each others' positions would just make them bunch up even more. It would be the death of smaller scale PvP. Pugs wouldn't have any chance outside of the zerg group.
  • kpittsniperb14_ESO
    kpittsniperb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Believe it or not, sorting a list is pretty efficient.

And he is wrong, you don't have to sort the list with every "smart" heal that gets cast. You just need to maintain one list that every smart heal references. You only have it update it once for every time slice. So you only need to look up who is at the top of the list, not sort the entire list.

If they are using an implementation that needlessly sorts the list every time a smart heal is cast, they need to fix their implementation, not nerf smart heals.

Fengrush just wants to see the healing nerfed and he's coming up with a reason to justify it. In general, he is pretty heavily biased toward stamina builds and the performance of his own group compositions.

He goes on to argue we should limit AoE heals (which are NOT smart heals) to only group members -- but then he excludes single-target heals like BoL which are actually a smart heals. So his own position is inconsistent.

Comparing it to a lack of "smart damage" is silly because you can actively target opponents. You can't target allies.

He just wants his own groups to be able to stomp less organized groups more easily. Which is fine to some extent, organized play should be an advantage. But he what he proposes to do with healing would just be a bloodbath.

It would actually make zerging worse as casuals wouldn't be able to play without joining a "type X in zone" zerg groups, and seeing each others' positions would just make them bunch up even more. It would be the death of smaller scale PvP. Pugs wouldn't have any chance outside of the zerg group.

I would support limiting groups to 12 and restricting healing to in group to simply move pvp back to a state of rewarding organized play. There has always been zerging in game of course however the faction stacking we're seeing now (as a percentage of overall server population) is unprecedented and there are a number of reasons for this..all of which are my personal opinions and observations so please feel free to disagree.

The direction that the developers have been moving for the last 3 years in lowering the ceiling and raising the floor haven't produced the results desired and have had massively negative unintended consequences.They have actually, in effect, raised both the floor and the ceiling pushing growing and learning groups into stacking. Attempting to make pvp more casual friendly hasn't attracted the massive new blood into Cyrodiil and I believe have driven away many players. Many organized groups that used to go off on their own to make fights haven't been able to adapt to the large changes and intentional nerfs to group play (raising the ceiling) have simply decided to stack with their faction. Newly formed guilds and groups attempting to find fights outside of their faction stack are simply run over by the enemy stack and are unable to gain experience and grow. These groups will quickly become tired of being zerged down and will stack with their faction. The handful of organized groups that have been able to adapt to these changes must be prepared to fight an entire faction or have nothing to fight at all and will migrate to where the action is adding to the faction stack mess and lag.

Those same groups mentioned above that have been able to adapt are now the bane of the game and the catalyst for more moves to raise the floor even more. The reason these groups are an issue is that there are too few of them. Raising the floor further only exacerbates this problem more. It's time for the ceiling to be lowered. Fixing a problem that was created in an attempt to make pvp more casual friendly by making the game more casual friendly won't end well.

Small scale is all but dead due to these changes as well. At one time we had healthy smallscale, 1VX, medium and largescale pvp opportunities on the map with multiple fights going on. Now we have factionstacks and 3 fights in the emp ring. I think most agree that faction stacking is bad for the health of the game yet the mechanics promote it heavily so we get what we get. I'm not sure I agree that restricting heals and buffs to groups would make casual zergs stronger.
    Magicka DK-Rowsdowerr
    Tertiary Meat GM
    "they're going to say, there's Daniel and he has 20 people with him, I want to kill him and there's
    40 more behind me."
    "I'm tired of the BS excuses, if you're going to do what you do at least admit what you're doing"
    YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!
  • asneakybanana
    asneakybanana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with limiting AoE heals to group only is that it would greatly hurt the effectiveness of the solo and duo more casual players that don't want to join a group but still want to feel like they are making an impact. Imagine going into cyro just to want to help siege and run around the map helping to flip keeps, if you make AoE heals group only that player is basically going to be forced to join up with the zone LFG group which may be too serious and not fun for them and that would make them not want to play.

I think limiting group size to 12 or 16 vs 24 would be a decent start, there are already many buffs that only go to group such as rapids and purge so this would make it less efficient to stack 80 people on top of each other because they would need more people purging and things of that nature. Look at groups like Drac and AoE Rats over on EU, they show that you don't need 24 to be successful and really all adding those extra 12 or so people to the group is doing is increasing lag by allowing players to ball up easier.

I think another good option could be removing fight swords from the map or, making it so there is just one size sword whether its 4 people fighting or 80. This will help to spread people out a bit because they wont just be drawn to wherever the large fight is since it will be harder to tell.

Also removing/lowering offense ticks to support defending rather than PVDoor could also be good because it will stop people from being as prone to just riding the zerg as they pvdoor keeps and get their 9k AP per keep since this is likely far easier for them to make AP this way than properly fighting.

There is also adding back dynamic ultimate to the game which was a proper mechanic for smaller groups to deal with large ones, obviously there were some issues with this system (Healing springs spam to build ult and things like that) but with all the changes they've made to the ultimate building system I think this could be a good mechanic at aiding smaller groups in taking on much much larger ones.
    Asneakybanana AD DK Former emperor of Chrysamere and Chillrend. World first hardmode Hel'ra and Quake con winner (Alliance rank 25)
    Asneakyhabenero EP DK Former emperor of Thornblade, Haderus. World first vMA Dk clear (Alliance rank 39)
    Asneakycucumber EP Sorc Former empress of Blackwater Bay and Trueflame (Alliance rank 32)
    Asneakypineapple EP Temp Former empress of Azuras Star and Haderus (Alliance rank 22)
    Asneakypickle EP NB Former empress of Trueflame (Alliance rank 47)
    Sweat Squad
    Crowned 27x on 12 different campaign cycles | 200M+ AP earned
    Fastest AA clear ever: 5:42 | Fastest HRC clear ever: 5:27 | NA first HM MoL
    609k Mag Sorc vMA
    NA first Tick Tock Tormentor
    NA first trinity (All No Death/HM/Speed run trials titles)
    2x Tick Tock Tormentor
  • Crispen_Longbow
    Crispen_Longbow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3jsnoj4eu6k2.jpg
    Crispen Longbow - Daggerfall Covenant (DC): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - RIP (Blue VE, Khole, LoM, MO)
    Crispen Longboww - Aldmeri Dominion (AD): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - Crispen's House of Pain RIP (KP, Yellow VE, Omni)
    Crispen Longbow-EP - Ebonheart Pact (EP): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - RIP (Red VE)