The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Error 318....hmmm but I wasn't

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a reminder, in case anyone missed this on the first page, that it has nothing to do with mail or chat messages. It's about the data packets being sent between the server and the client.
    Just to let you all know, the error message you're seeing is a little misleading. There's nothing you're doing that's causing you to get booted; the excessive messaging has to do with data going from the client to the server, not actual message spam from you. We'll continue to look into this issue, but just wanted to clear that up!
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • clintvb16_ESO
    clintvb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    According to Error 318 which I got after the game kicked me off the server, I was" dropped from he server because I hit the message rate limit. Please avoid excessive messaging (ie spamming).

Now let's get one thing clear. I wasn't messaging
    I wasn't planning on messaging
    I hadn't messaged in the past

So why did I get an error 318. Maybe I should get an error message about the error message.

Can we get a time date as to when you guys will get this game under control. Did you need square enix phone number, might help chat with those debs maybe.

Your addons you are using should be the cause of your problem, due to all the updates they do. probably Merchant Master is the problem, you probably have it set to check for updates every 30 seconds or minute? I imagine the game thinks of that as spamming, i had the same error and googled it. I don't work for the company so when i say this, it's totally my opinion and I mean no offense to you, but the addons are just that, add ons, they have nothing to do with the company when it comes to support. Please don't get upset I mean this in only a helpful manner.
  • clintvb16_ESO
    clintvb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I got the same thing twice, how can I be messaging when fighting or riding a horse?

Change your MM update times. lower them. hope that helps, seems to have done the trick for me and a few mates.
  • Yggdrasil_Gof
    Yggdrasil_Gof
    ✭✭✭
    @clintvb16_ESO

This error presents itself on the PS4 too. As the PS4 has no Add ons, (unless you include official updates), or messaging system then it is a bug of some sort. When I googled it I found that it tends to happen most in battles, and other times you mash the buttons. for some reason the game thinks you are spamming and kicks you.
    Unfortunately Add ons aren't the problem otherwise it wouldn't happen on PS4, and Xbox. Although good for those console players that want messaging because the code for it is obviously still in our version of the game, otherwise we wouldn't get the error.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As said above, it's got nothing to do with chat messages (text-based or otherwise); it's about the Client and the Server interacting. This error appears during heavy lag situations where the Server hasn't caught up with the Client, thus the Client asks the Server to do too much at once - hence, "excessive messaging" to the Server from the Client.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Enoyl
    Enoyl
    Soul Shriven
    Hey guys, just want to let you all know that we're actively looking into this. Could you describe exactly what you were doing when you got this error?

I was in HelRa last boss. 4 times got dc and coulnd't go back in boss room ofcourse. Plz fix this thing.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enoyl wrote: »
    Hey guys, just want to let you all know that we're actively looking into this. Could you describe exactly what you were doing when you got this error?

I was in HelRa last boss. 4 times got dc and coulnd't go back in boss room ofcourse. Plz fix this thing.

@ZOS_GinaBruno

So this was never resolved from 2 years ago. It's still happening.
    New console 7 days old
    New game install
    New save data

Playing Morrowind in Belkarth....standing still by a quest NPC and bam
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get that error every now and again since I started this game. Once or twice every​ 2-3 months.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was riding my horse - hadn't been messaging anyone. Had alt tab for looking at other windows
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    We are closing this thread as it is several years old. You can start a new thread if no recent topics on this error exist. Troubleshooting for Error 318 can be found below.

What should I do if I receive "Error 318" on console?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.