Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

A identifier for Quests that need a group

frank.lindseyub17_ESO
Hi Guys/Gals,

I had become a source of frustration for me on all my characters in all factions until someone clued me in. Quests that require a group effort should in some way be identified when you accept them. In all factions, you(I) are soloing your way through a quest chain and get to the final bad guy and get clocked over and over again without being informed you need 2-3 others to actually take this guy down. I know that guildies are ready to help you, but you need to know you need help first not start thinking you just you are geared wrong, or are using the wrong weapon, or just really suck at this game.

Love the game.

Thanks, Frank

Best Answers

• Phaeze
    Phaeze
    Thus far, the only identifier I can point you to for this is when you get to that final bad guy. When you target the enemy (they glow red) and look at their health bar, there are a few tiers you can look at. If the health bar is just a red line with a bronze outline, it's normal. If it's got a double outline with tiny red gems, it's somewhat tougher. More powerful opponents have more gems, tiered in size moving away from their health bar. I have found that sometimes I can take these opponents down on my own if I play smart, dodge their AoE, block their big hits and interrupt their spells. Other times, if it's not a solo-quest, I find that if I wait a little while, other people doing the same quest will come along to try and kill the target. If I join in on the slaughter, I can get credit, get loot and move on with the quest line.
    -Shadow hide you-
    Answer ✓
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    The quest should have the level next to it, which should be indicative of the level range of the mobs involved. Are you finding this to be otherwise?

The only 'group' quests I've received have been for dungeons (the instanced 4 mans).
    Answer ✓
  • hrdndv_ESO
    hrdndv_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Along with this are quests that are incorrectly labeled. There are about 5 quests that give one level but are actually 5-10 levels above the current assigned level.

This is identical to quests that need a team for the final boss. The problem is that many of the harder quests are instanced so you must do it solo.

A typical example is the werewolf war, the werewolves are at the level of the quest but you are attacked by at least one other werewolf or mage at the same time. This doubles the quest level.

It should also be recognized that few players will have gear at their level. Normal players have gear several levels below their level.

My solution is for Zenimax to change the current level assignments of these few harder quests to the proper higher rank. I have submitted bug reports on this poor level assignment problem several times for each hard quest. So far the devs have not responded.

It doesn't change the game to be honest about a quests actual level.
    Edited by hrdndv_ESO on April 14, 2014 6:26PM
    Answer ✓
  • Phaeze
    Phaeze
    Quest titles in your log will give you an idea of relative difficulty. Yellow is your standard difficulty. Green is easy. Gray is not challenging. Orange is hard. I have yet to see beyond that, but I am guessing insane difficulty would be in red.
    -Shadow hide you-
    Answer ✓
  • kyuven
    kyuven
    ✭✭
    with the exception of the world bosses and dungeons, i haven't found many if any group quests. and those ARE clearly marked on your map.
  • Aneira
    Aneira
    I would also like to see a marker for Solo quests. This has hit me several times because my wife and I play together all the time. We'll be moving along, then suddenly we're not in the same instance. First few times this happened, we were quite confused...

Now, I just know it's a solo quest, but it would be nice to be warned ahead of time somehow.
  • frank.lindseyub17_ESO
    Some of it comes from a non-sequitur in the quest handoff. I am lvl.9, I finish a quest chain and am asked to deliver a letter to someone in a certain city, I do it and a new line starts...however I find the monsters and mobs are lvl 17? Is there some clue from the map or in the handoff as to the "suggested" lvl requirements are for an area/chain?
  • frank.lindseyub17_ESO
    Thanks, I''l look more closely.
  • Custos91
    Custos91
    ✭✭✭
    had never issues of killing any boss solo...
    Warden Main apparently... 7 Wardens currently, otherwise a healer of every class.
    Mostly active in No CP PVP on EU, blaming the buffbot meta in pve.
    I want to feel like I am saving somebodies life, not like I am carrying amunition for them...
  • frank.lindseyub17_ESO
    Neither do I unless they are 2+ levels higher than me...