Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Unlock chests &Trasure maps

BrunoBibou
Hi,
Thanks to your help, I am progressing. But I still have some problems with two things ;
I do not understand how to use the picks to unlock chests. Can anyone explain how to ?
The second point is the treasure maps. Is there a way to find the area without wandering around, I have one with a boat, water... I walk on the beach in both ways and found nothing.
Thanks for your help.
Nice WE
Bruno
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    You hold down your mouse and release at the right time. (could be half way, could be all the way down) The pick will start to shake if you should let go. If you don't the pick will break and this will repeat until you run out of picks.
    Holgrum put some pants on. Holgrum heal me I'm dying. Nag... Nag... Nag...
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I press the pick down and try to release when it wiggles but more important I estimate how far down I pressed it when it began to shake. Then next attempt I push it that far ready to release. Problem with this is that it takes time, and there isn't a whole lot of that commodity and less as they chest increase in difficulty. Other hand, every time you succeed with a tumble it seems like it gets a tiny bit easier.
    Behold the great Oak. Just a little nut who stood his ground.
  • BrunoBibou
    Thanks, if I understand well the two only positions are half, and full. I am not sure I got the shaky part. Should I stop pushing when the pick shakes ?
    Thanks for your lights.
    Edited by BrunoBibou on April 4, 2014 5:48PM
  • drkeys143
    drkeys143
    ✭✭✭
    You need to release once the spring loaded lever starts wiggling, if you push too hard or let go too soon, you risk losing the pick. I have also found in some chests that I didnt actually need to pick ALL the levers, in a couple of cases I only did 3 out of 5 and the chest opened, not sure if this was a bug or it is meant to happen!
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    There are technically countless positions. All the way down, 1/2 way 1/4, 3/4. 7/8 etc. I was just trying to illustrate that the point isn't to jam all the pins down, but rather to their "sweet spots"
    Holgrum put some pants on. Holgrum heal me I'm dying. Nag... Nag... Nag...
  • drkeys143
    drkeys143
    ✭✭✭
    BrunoBibou wrote: »
    The second point is the treasure maps. Is there a way to find the area without wandering around, I have one with a boat, water... I walk on the beach in both ways and found nothing.
    Thanks for your help.
    Nice WE
    Bruno

Which treasure map are you referring to? Is it Izard's treasure?

There are technically countless positions. All the way down, 1/2 way 1/4, 3/4. 7/8 etc. I was just trying to illustrate that the point isn't to jam all the pins down, but rather to their "sweet spots"

Yes, very well put :)

Edited by drkeys143 on April 4, 2014 6:41PM
  • BrunoBibou
    Dannomite,
    Thanks but how do I know when I got the sweet spot, Should I spot pushing when the lever starts wiggling. I must admit I tried that already and always lost my picks. I will go back and try again.
    drkeys143
    I am referring to the Alliance treasure/secret maps.
    Thanks
    Bruno
  • drkeys143
    drkeys143
    ✭✭✭
    Ah right, I haven't tried those yet!
  • BrunoBibou
    Got it, Thanks
  • Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    Treasure maps when in the right place there will be a pile of earth. You have to have the map in inventory for it to be usable.
  • jeremylthb14_ESO
    Treasure maps: I find they're easiest once I've explored the zone a bit. Then you can often recognize landmarks in the pictures (or at least the basic landscape) and narrow it down by using your real map.

Lockpicking: Keep a light finger on your mouse and watch for the gold tumbler to start shaking. Release immediately.
  • Gornt_Grimreaver
    Yes, once you press the pick down on the spring at some point (which is pre-determined) the pin will start to wiggle. Thats the moment you release, if you wait too long it wont set or could possibly break the lockpick. I have found that when I pick locks the best method is to release the instant it starts wiggling. The sooner the better. I can easily pick any lock besides the impossible ones, which I have only seen once in game so I havent gotten to try yet. Hope that helps.
    Just a spoonful of moon sugar helps the medicine go down.
  • jeremylthb14_ESO
    Yes, once you press the pick down on the spring at some point (which is pre-determined) the pin will start to wiggle. Thats the moment you release, if you wait too long it wont set or could possibly break the lockpick. I have found that when I pick locks the best method is to release the instant it starts wiggling. The sooner the better. I can easily pick any lock besides the impossible ones, which I have only seen once in game so I havent gotten to try yet. Hope that helps.

You cannot even attempt "impossible" ones; it doesn't give you the option to try. I think it has to do with relative level of you vs the chest.
  • dannymcgr81b14_ESO
    dannymcgr81b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try this page. Good explanations and a simulator so you can get a feel for it. http://www.tesoelite.com/2014/03/eso-lockpicking-guide-simulator/
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    If releasing the left mouse button fast enough is tricky try right-clicking when the pin of the lock shakes. This works better for me as my hands are a bit inflexible these days.
  • Kng_Ayumayuma
    Kng_Ayumayuma
    ✭✭✭
    Coggage wrote: »
    If releasing the left mouse button fast enough is tricky try right-clicking when the pin of the lock shakes. This works better for me as my hands are a bit inflexible these days.

This! Works well for me.

Sometimes I close my eyes cause I can react faster to the sound than watching for the shake.
    Edited by Kng_Ayumayuma on April 15, 2014 3:29PM