Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

leveling class skills up not on the bar?

festher
festher
✭✭
i always understood that if you wantr to level up all the open skills in a skill line i just had to put of of the skills on the active bar. dosent seems to work. several skills stay at lvl 1 even tho one skill from the line is on the bar.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you gain experience, it helps level all skills you have on the bar you have active when you gain the experience. If it is a weapon skill, you don't even have to have that type of weapon equipped. It can be tedious but an effective tip is to set up your bar for leveling whenever you turn in a quest, then set it back how you want it for play right after. Note that this applies to all individual skills that you have placed a skill point in and most skill lines.

Some skill lines work differently and have specific criteria instead of just general experience to level the skill line itself. For example, to level the Mages Guild skill line requires finding mage lore books or completing Mages Guild daily quests. The 'World' skill line is leveled by doing the Prophet's main questline. Fighters Guild, Psijic and Undaunted also have their own leveling requirements for the skill line. Regardless though, once you have a skill the skill itself levels by being on your active bar when you gain experience.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you’re misunderstanding a bit.

Having a skill on the bar while you earn XP will level up that skill. If the skill is from a weapon or class line it will also contribute to leveling up that skill line while you gain XP.

It will not level up any specific skills other than those slotted. Skills within a line don’t level up just because the level of the line increases.

Example:
    You have Whirlwind (or a morph) on your bar. You have Blade Cloak unlocked but not on your bar.

You earn XP while your Dual Wield bar is active, progress is given to:
    - Dual Wield, because you have the weapon and/or a skill active
    - Whirlwind or morph, because it’s active on your bar

Progress is not granted to:
    - Blade Cloak
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • festher
    festher
    ✭✭
    as i tried to explain. if i pul a class skill on my active bar, only that ability levels up. not the rest even tho i have a point in them.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    festher wrote: »
    as i tried to explain. if i pul a class skill on my active bar, only that ability levels up. not the rest even tho i have a point in them.

As I explained, that’s not how it works.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • festher
    festher
    ✭✭
    I slottet acid rain on my bow bar, then i went bananas and got 100k xp. I also had Piercing Mark slottet and it hadent moved an inch at all same with a few other class skills
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I slottet acid rain on my bow bar, then i went bananas and got 100k xp. I also had Piercing Mark slottet and it hadent moved an inch at all same with a few other class skills

Have you even read the responses here?
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that is exactly how it's supposed to work.

If you want to level up Piercing Mark you have to put that skill on your bar and then gain XP. You can't level up one skill by using a different one, even if it's on the same skill line.
    Edited by Danikat on September 15, 2019 3:22PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Much of what I wrote in my 2015 guide is obsolete. But the part about skill leveling still holds.
    • You level up active skills, class skill LINES and weapon skill LINES according to what's on your skill bar at the moment you gain experience points. So it is often advisable to have a special skill bar just for quest turn-in.
    • You level up weapon and armor skill LINES according to what you have equipped at the moment you gain experience points.
    • Other skill LINE leveling does NOT happen the same way. Crafting, Fighter's Guild, Mage's Guild, Undaunted, Legerdemain et al. each have their own leveling mechanic. But individual active SKILLS from any line (among those that have active skills) level as described above.
    • Passive skills do not level per se. Your skill line level, however, affects which passive skills you can buy.

https://tamrielfoundry.com/articles/general-tips-for-new-or-returning-players/
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of us from early on in the game treated the back bar as a turn in bar. Sometimes a different weapon but all the time skills we wanted to level up for end game but were not needed for the simple task of leveling a character.

Edit: then when you go to turn in a quest just swap bars so the second bar is exposed to the XP.
    Edited by idk on September 15, 2019 3:59PM
  • festher
    festher
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Many of us from early on in the game treated the back bar as a turn in bar. Sometimes a different weapon but all the time skills we wanted to level up for end game but were not needed for the simple task of leveling a character.

Edit: then when you go to turn in a quest just swap bars so the second bar is exposed to the XP.

Yes i do the same in dungeons and BG. when i remember.

i just thought that all skills in a skill line was leveled up if one of the skills were on that bar. but its only the skill line level in general that is getting xp. not Individual skills :)
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind, skills that require more skill line EXP to unlock take longer to gain ranks.

ie Uppercut ranks up way faster than Momentum
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Different skill lines have different leveling systems.

Class, weapon etc as you say mages, undaunted etc have their own
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you have an Undaunted skill on your bar, then the leveling of that skill runs off XP, like the others. It's only the Undaunted rank, that gets the skill in the first place, that depends on reputation, rather than XP. The same for RG, or MG. Getting the skill uses the guild rules, but the skill then levels up like all the others. Morphing the active skills depends on the XP going o them, although the passive skills for the guild lines go up with rank.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i always understood that if you wantr to level up all the open skills in a skill line i just had to put of of the skills on the active bar. dosent seems to work. several skills stay at lvl 1 even tho one skill from the line is on the bar.

Some skill trees do not level up in the same way. You can level the individual skills within it as normal, but to level the line you have to complete specific content.

Psijic order - complete the Psijic story
    Mages guild - locate blue lore books
    Undaunted - dungeons etc
    Assault - play pvp
    Support - play pvp
    Edited by Grianasteri on September 23, 2019 8:54AM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Some skill trees do not level up in the same way. You can level the individual skills within it as normal, but to level the line you have to complete specific content.

Undaunted - dungeons etc
    Assault - play pvp
    Support - play pvp

Don't forget Fighter's Guild. Need to kill undead to level the tree.
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Undaunted - dungeons etc
    Assault - play pvp
    Support - play pvp

Don't forget Fighter's Guild. Need to kill undead to level the tree.

Undead and Daedra, as well as to destroy the Dark Anchors.
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing a FG daily quest (destroy 3 anchors in an assigned zone) gets you 10 rep toward FG skill line.

Doing a MG daily quest (recover item from assigned public dungeon) gets you 10 rep toward MG skill line.

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Yes i do the same in dungeons and BG. when i remember.

i just thought that all skills in a skill line was leveled up if one of the skills were on that bar. but its only the skill line level in general that is getting xp. not Individual skills :)

Bringing up dungeons is a great point. If you have just one skill (or even 2) have them on your active bar or both bars for the last fight of a random normal dungeon. The XP is great.

But that is what I have done at end game. My previous post is what many of us have done since this game launched for leveling up skills while leveling a new character.