Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Pet targetting

Xelyum
Xelyum
✭✭✭
Would be nice if I would target that *** hiding behind 4 summons and blasting my ass with crystal fragments for 6k damage each (and before anyone asks, i have 38% in every resist while buffed and all of my gear is impenetrable) then streaking away whenever I manage to get close enough to hit him.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Officially a nerf sorc thread then.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Officially a nerf sorc thread then.

It's been a while, it was due.

Sorcs are too strong. Hardend ward needs about a 40% reduction in strength, streak needs to cost stamina as well. I also think that negate needs to be capped to 2 players. They also need to give frags a 45s timer and the execute needs to have a cost increase of 200%
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on September 6, 2019 10:15PM
  • Xelyum
    Xelyum
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, I do think that nerfing sorcs in PvP would be perfectly fine since I hate them, but making summoned creature untargetable would be awesome, not only for sorcs though, but sorcs are the biggest offenders with the most summons active at a time.

It's also a pain in the ass outside of PvP when their stupid ass pet blocks something that you want to interact with.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would be okay for the Atronach to be non-targetable.

Some Sorcs like to literally hide inside them and it works against single target threats.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pet targeting thing is especially annoying for my Magicka Necromancer, since they're protected against Blastbones (because it's AOE), single target DOTs, and will attract the attacks from my Skeletal Mage, should they be closer to me than an enemy player is. So they nullify one of my damaging abilities even if I do get LOS on the player, and the only thing I have that can really damage the pet itself are light/heavy attacks; there is no build available to my class that can forego the DOTs and burst down enemy pets to get them out of the way.
  • Thanatos_inside
    Thanatos_inside
    ✭✭✭
    targeting pets always was the problem but zos ignores it for years.
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just fix tab targeting
    PC EU - DC only
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ChefZero wrote: »
    Just fix tab targeting

You'd still need to fight pet targeting to tab target the Sorc. Just rework pets so that they can remove targeting with damage abilities, make players have to bash/stun pets to take pets out of the fight.
  • Daemonai
    Daemonai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer pets are untargetable, and the Pack Leader wolves were recently made untargetable, so I don't understand why sorcerer pets (except the clanfear) should be targetable.
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daemonai wrote: »
    Necromancer pets are untargetable, and the Pack Leader wolves were recently made untargetable, so I don't understand why sorcerer pets (except the clanfear) should be targetable.

Two reasons:
    First of all sorcerer's pets are permanent and give bonuses. Both necromancer's and werewolves pets are either temporary or respawn so often that killing them is useless. If you kill sorcerer's pets he almost allways loses 3k magicka and either a self heal or aoe cc. Killing pets is actually a viable tactic.

Second of all sorcerer's pets are a viable defensive strategy. They are literally meant to provide LOS evasion.

Personally I don't understand people who complain about pets and targeting. Whenever I am matched agaiinst a zoo I just get in and kill the sorcerers. I've seen stamina players instashot almost everything in 4 seconds or less. Why don't you just plow through all those pets untill you kill the sorc? Resummoning pets can be interrupted and requires lots of time. Use it, abuse it. Kill those pets. Make summoners weak without them and exploit that weakness. And most importantly: stop whining.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daemonai wrote: »

Two reasons:
    First of all sorcerer's pets are permanent and give bonuses. Both necromancer's and werewolves pets are either temporary or respawn so often that killing them is useless. If you kill sorcerer's pets he almost allways loses 3k magicka and either a self heal or aoe cc. Killing pets is actually a viable tactic.

Second of all sorcerer's pets are a viable defensive strategy. They are literally meant to provide LOS evasion.

Personally I don't understand people who complain about pets and targeting. Whenever I am matched agaiinst a zoo I just get in and kill the sorcerers. I've seen stamina players instashot almost everything in 4 seconds or less. Why don't you just plow through all those pets untill you kill the sorc? Resummoning pets can be interrupted and requires lots of time. Use it, abuse it. Kill those pets. Make summoners weak without them and exploit that weakness. And most importantly: stop whining.
    Uh huh. Try focus firing the Sorc (or a healer) in a group fight when there are potentially multiple different Matriarchs, Imps, and proc'd Daedroths running around, especially when you have no gap closer and are constantly snared, spam rooted, and spammed with 6k+ Dizzying Swings.

As I said in my previous post, I would love to have the option to kill the pets, if ZOS doesn't want to make the targeting system work better. But since they're protected from essentially all of my offensive abilities, that's not an option for me.
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »
    Uh huh. Try focus firing the Sorc (or a healer) in a group fight when there are potentially multiple different Matriarchs, Imps, and proc'd Daedroths running around, especially when you have no gap closer and are constantly snared, spam rooted, and spammed with 6k+ Dizzying Swings.

I have not only tried but also succeded in it many, many times in BGs. It is nothing more than a l2p issue. Don't worry - one day you will also learn. Remeber one thing: you really don't have to rush head in to deal as much damage as soon as possible. You can wait behiond a cover untill your enemy overextends :)
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not only tried but also succeded in it many, many times in BGs. It is nothing more than a l2p issue. Don't worry - one day you will also learn. Remeber one thing: you really don't have to rush head in to deal as much damage as soon as possible. You can wait behiond a cover untill your enemy overextends :)

Lol you're telling people to l2p and your advice is kill the pet? That's only a viable strategy on xv1, which just about anything works.
  • Cernunnos55
    Cernunnos55
    ✭✭✭
    Killing pets is absolutely a viable tactic in a 1v1 situation assuming you have the capacity to provide an average amount of damage output. Consider a Sorc’s most likely heals – Clannfear, Twilight, and Dark Conversion. Murder the pet(s) and force him to heal with Dark Conversion, wasting his stamina, leaving him vulnerable to CC. Can’t shield stack with his ass on the floor, so dead. As for being burst down by frags – just… I’m not even trying to be an ass here. Learn to dodge, use shields, block, utilise whatever means of damage mitigation are available to you just like you have to do in every other scenario. Stick a negate or a timestop over him if you have to. Dawnbreaker him and his zoo. Whatever works man.
    Guild Master of The Pride of Daggerfall, D.C. loyalist and commander of the Cerglings.

R’hana – Khajiit – StamBlade – Crafter/PvP
    Iranduril – Altmer – MagSorc – PvE DPS
    Sayelo Tomylilfren – Argonian – Hybrid Dragonknight – PvE Tank
    A Brexit Policy – Redguard – StamSorc – PvP
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are slowly making some pets untargetable, why not just make an option under gameplay to ignore pet targeting pretty please?
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »

Lol you're telling people to l2p and your advice is kill the pet? That's only a viable strategy on xv1, which just about anything works.

Yes. That is what I advise. Kill the pet but without overextending. Most petsorcs use necropotence. Killing a pet, then bashing the sorc while he resummons it, not only prevents him from summoning it but also puts him off ballance. Kill the other and he loses 3k magicka, ward strength, damage, max health and burst heal. And most importantly he loses his meatshield. Killing a 1vXer's pet is actually one of the smartest things a zergling can do. And pets are squishy so you shouldn't be having problems killiong them.
    In battlegrounds, while fighting multiple petsorcs you can use LOS to make at least one of them overextend, kill the pet, then kill the petsorc. Most stambilds can do that in two combos.
    Stop whining, start learning how to play.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make all pets temporary and non targetable already.....
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »

Yes. That is what I advise. Kill the pet but without overextending. Most petsorcs use necropotence. Killing a pet, then bashing the sorc while he resummons it, not only prevents him from summoning it but also puts him off ballance. Kill the other and he loses 3k magicka, ward strength, damage, max health and burst heal. And most importantly he loses his meatshield. Killing a 1vXer's pet is actually one of the smartest things a zergling can do. And pets are squishy so you shouldn't be having problems killiong them.
    In battlegrounds, while fighting multiple petsorcs you can use LOS to make at least one of them overextend, kill the pet, then kill the petsorc. Most stambilds can do that in two combos.
    Stop whining, start learning how to play.

As i mentioned, it's not a viable tactic 1v1, it's for xv1 where zerglings are dog piling... EVERYTHING works then.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If improving targeting system was possible, ZOS would not nerf WW Pack Leader (the morph that summons to wolves) to the ground and make Dire wolves untargetable.

I also thought that it would be sooooo simple. Just a button in combat settings menu "target enemy combat pets" on / off.

But no, ZOS have not done it....

(On the other hand it may be possible, but that would require some effort and coding... I mean ZOS has some programmers and coders working there, right ? ? ;) )
  • Krileon
    Krileon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just kill the pet.. that's what I do when they keep hiding behind them. The pets always overextend. Stay outside of the sorcs range, but within range to attack the pet. Kill it and you take away their healing and usually they're running Necropotence so you take away a ton of resources/damage as well. Another option is CC the pet with an immob or stun then hammer on the sorc. A lot of the time I'll see a sorc panic spam heal their pet which is perfect, because by time the pet is dead they've no magicka to do anything else except roll over and die. Even better with this DoT meta slap the pet with DoTs and walk away.. dead pet.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

/insert-eyeroll-emoji
    Krileon wrote: »
    Just kill the pet.. that's what I do when they keep hiding behind them. The pets always overextend. Stay outside of the sorcs range, but within range to attack the pet. Kill it and you take away their healing and usually they're running Necropotence so you take away a ton of resources/damage as well. Another option is CC the pet with an immob or stun then hammer on the sorc. A lot of the time I'll see a sorc panic spam heal their pet which is perfect, because by time the pet is dead they've no magicka to do anything else except roll over and die. Even better with this DoT meta slap the pet with DoTs and walk away.. dead pet.
    DOTs do almost no damage to pets, FYI.

The abilities on my bar that do damage are:
    Entropy - almost no damage to pets.
    Vamp Drain - not particularly viable for killing pets.
    Blastbones - almost no damage to pets, and gets confused easily.
    Soul Trap - almost no damage to pets.
    Skeletal Mage - not entirely sure on damage numbers vs enemy pets, but will target them 100% of the time if they're in LOS and closer to me than an enemy players is. Given his damage vs enemy pet HP, he's not going to kill them on his own.

The only way I could get better damage vs enemy pets is to replace one of these abilities with a spammable, and weave that with light attacks for the pet's 20k+ HP...while hoping that there isn't enough shielding/healing/teleporting to keep the pet alive anyway.

Some classes have a fairly easy time killing pets, and for others it's simply not a realistic solution. The only upside is that there are less pet sorcs than there used to be.
  • Krileon
    Krileon
    ✭✭✭✭
    DOTs do almost no damage to pets, FYI.

The abilities on my bar that do damage are:
    Entropy - almost no damage to pets.
    Vamp Drain - not particularly viable for killing pets.
    Blastbones - almost no damage to pets, and gets confused easily.
    Soul Trap - almost no damage to pets.
    Skeletal Mage - not entirely sure on damage numbers vs enemy pets, but will target them 100% of the time if they're in LOS and closer to me than an enemy players is. Given his damage vs enemy pet HP, he's not going to kill them on his own.

The only way I could get better damage vs enemy pets is to replace one of these abilities with a spammable, and weave that with light attacks for the pet's 20k+ HP...while hoping that there isn't enough shielding/healing/teleporting to keep the pet alive anyway.

Some classes have a fairly easy time killing pets, and for others it's simply not a realistic solution. The only upside is that there are less pet sorcs than there used to be.

I don't know what to tell you. I run high crit in no-CP BG and kill pets in 2-3 casts. If it isn't dead they're spamming heals which cost twice as much as crushing shock and just works in my favor even more. Magicka Necromancer is also one of the weakest PVP classes right now so that's also working against you.

It's getting old people always screaming nerf this and nerf that when it seriously is a L2P issue. Adapt your build. Adapt your gear. Get better. Don't expect to be able to kill everyone. There will always be someone better than you.

Expanding on the above for example you could run shacklebreaker + mother's sorrow + chudan and you should have no issues with dealing with silly pets. Be sure to run all impen gear (in no-CP PVP it's around 27% crit dmg reduction). As a magicka necromancer back bar restro staff and run regen + intensive mender.. you should be very hard to kill. Don't use the stupid skull spammable, it's garbage, use crushing shock (the interrupt will help you a ton; especially if a sorc tries to recast a pet). Don't bother with vamp drain unless you're a NB that can pop in and out of stealth to really utilize it. Then it's also vital you utilize CC (e.g. totem, grasp, destructive touch, etc..). My frontbar is usually always a fire destro staff infused with disease enchant.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol, once sorc pets are not able to be targeted they complain will about unfair trees and rocks.

Sorc pets have been this way since release, and an amazing number of players have been able to target and kill sorcs since day one. The only reason pet sorc is still a thing is because some folks didn't read the patch notes, and a lot of other folks can't even master basic game mechanics like hitting a target.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    Lol, once sorc pets are not able to be targeted they complain will about unfair trees and rocks.

Sorc pets have been this way since release, and an amazing number of players have been able to target and kill sorcs since day one. The only reason pet sorc is still a thing is because some folks didn't read the patch notes, and a lot of other folks can't even master basic game mechanics like hitting a target.

Trees and rocks don't cause you to waste resources and ultimate on attacking the Sorc's pet, when you were very obviously targeting the Sorc directly. This game's targeting system is already super wonky, pets just make it so much worse.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »
    katorga wrote: »

Trees and rocks don't cause you to waste resources and ultimate on attacking the Sorc's pet, when you were very obviously targeting the Sorc directly. This game's targeting system is already super wonky, pets just make it so much worse.

Any attack that misses due to LOS wastes resources. Or roll dodge, or shields, or block, or pets, or even other players unlucky enough to get tagged with an attack intended for someone else. Just part of the game. Immortal pets will be worse, just staying - I can't target and kill a Templar Honor the Dead and force him to spend a long cast time to be able to heal again. Just saying.

Classes builds are supposed to be different and present different challenges in combat that require the attacker to adapt, adjust and deal with.
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys are you really so bad that you can't kill a pet? Really? Or to target? This isn't an fps game. Compared to Overwatch, ESO has a fraking aimbot.
    Just... learn... to... play.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Guys are you really so bad that you can't kill a pet? Really? Or to target? This isn't an fps game. Compared to Overwatch, ESO has a fraking aimbot.
    Just... learn... to... play.

Yeah, I'm just gonna target a Sorc with a broken targeting system, that causes things like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yprAGEEfOPk

To happen, then on the flip side, causes things like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kKugyuBpKs&feature=youtu.be

To happen. Game totally isn't going to have a third of my attacks hit the Sorc's pet, and have another third hit some random dude I'm not even attacking. That totally won't happen!