Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Elsweyr world bosses

Tinolyn
Tinolyn
✭✭✭
Please tell me your next zone will NOT have world bosses despawn after a set amount of time.

Too many times after forming a group I'm about to pull and the boss disappears. PLEASE, ZOS, do not do this again.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What zone? I don't think I have ever seen that happen.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thannar disappears before my very eyes almost every time I get this daily. I post in zone for help when he’s up... then when people come I am left standing there with no boss.

S.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen that happen.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Big Bird does this also. I don't know who thought this was a good idea.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That’s a first for me. I’ve never had any world boss despawn. I’m usually waiting for them to respawn.
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    Big Bird does this also. I don't know who thought this was a good idea.

acEpmmyi_400x400.jpg
  • Nulami
    Nulami
    ✭✭✭
    I've only seen this happen when someone attacks the WB and either dies or runs away.

I think people realize that they will despawn and do it to grief anyone that comes along behind them.
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    happens with all wb in Elsweyr.

I meanwhile skip the Kee'va (Terrorbird) for this reason.

Zalsheem usually has enough players around, so I wait there.

Swordmaster, Graveprowler and Boneweaver I can solo.
    Also 2 criminals depending on my toon, if not I skip as there are not that many players around.

I try to solve the bosses with less players around at primetime, but skip them at night as they often disappear while waiting for the rare moments when other players arrive.
  • Broyston
    Broyston
    ✭✭✭
    And then you have to wait the ridiculous amount of time for them to re-spawn, yeah not fun.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's happened twice with the terror bird boss for me. He despawned while I was waiting for a few group members to show up. He respawned again after a long while.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is this intentional?! Why on earth would you do that?! Respawn times are a deep pain already.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen this happening a couple of times. It wasn't pleasing to wait even more.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craglorn is doing it again too.
    They had fixed it but it reverted with one of the updates
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never seen this but sounds crappy.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've seen it happen with Wily Keeva, Vhysradue and maybe others. It has nothing to do with pulling and running away. It will happen while you are just waiting for more players to arrive.

It can't be intentional; I can't fathom a reason that would make sense.
  • Tinolyn
    Tinolyn
    ✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

Elsweyr. I've never seen it in any other zone -- bosses outside Elsweyr always seem to hang around until killed, and then they hit a respawn timer.

@ZOS_GinaBruno any chance you can see if this is intended, or a bug? I'd not noticed it in Craglorn, but apparently it happens there too.
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tinolyn wrote: »

Elsweyr. I've never seen it in any other zone -- bosses outside Elsweyr always seem to hang around until killed, and then they hit a respawn timer.

@ZOS_GinaBruno any chance you can see if this is intended, or a bug? I'd not noticed it in Craglorn, but apparently it happens there too.

Not sure but bosses in Cyrodiil could also despawn, if there weren't any players around to kill them in time.

//RexyCat
  • Vuylstekeara
    Vuylstekeara
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had the same problem in Summerset a few times. Definitely with the mudcrab queen, I think gryphons and some other WBs too. Stood there with a group and was waiting for the last player to arrive and... gone. So the whole group needed to wait for it to respawn.
    "The paper is balanced, but nerf the rock!"
    - The scissors
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It happened to me with Walks-like-thunder in Murkmire this week.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This does happen in Craglorn when someone tries to solo a boss and dies then runs off. The boss will after a while decide there is no one to fight and go away.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This hasn’t happened to me yet but if this is indeed how it’s designed then that’s very *** poor design.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Seen it happen several times myself. As far as I can tell, all it takes is for someone to get close enough to aggro the boss. When they run the boss will disappear, and I'm stuck there waiting ages for the respawn.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • warabi
    warabi
    ✭✭✭
    This is still happening and it's really quite vexing I must say.
  • ddgsodium
    ddgsodium
    ✭✭✭
    warabi wrote: »

Not like it's going away in 2020.
  • xXMeowMeowXx
    xXMeowMeowXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddgsodium wrote: »

This is a heck of a necro. Though I am now curious, as I have never seen this happen either

Did it happen to you @ddgsodium ?

This does happen in Craglorn when someone tries to solo a boss and dies then runs off. The boss will after a while decide there is no one to fight and go away.

Could it be something for players that cannot burn the bosses down fast enough?

This is something that certainly could use a clip. When I am overland farming solo there are plenty of times I am waiting quite long for the boss to appear.

• SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's a bug with Wily K'eeva. Sometimes when you're fighting her, she will reset in the middle of the fight, and spawn in with twice as many adds. I had it happen to me once and the consensus here on the forums was that it wasn't a one-off thing. Maybe this is why the bosses despawn, because they have a tendency to bug out in this zone. And, yes, I've seen various bosses vanish before my eyes with no one engaging them.

I've also seen atronachs in dragon fights simply despawn when someone kites them too far. I guess that's a "good" bug, but a bug (or bad design) nonetheless.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • xXMeowMeowXx
    xXMeowMeowXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a bug with Wily K'eeva. Sometimes when you're fighting her, she will reset in the middle of the fight, and spawn in with twice as many adds. I had it happen to me once and the consensus here on the forums was that it wasn't a one-off thing. Maybe this is why the bosses despawn, because they have a tendency to bug out in this zone. And, yes, I've seen various bosses vanish before my eyes with no one engaging them.

I've also seen atronachs in dragon fights simply despawn when someone kites them too far. I guess that's a "good" bug, but a bug (or bad design) nonetheless.

I definitely agree that this sounds like a royal pain in da tush. Might be hard to get a clip with how you’re describing things.

The devs should certainly be made aware that this issue is still an on going thing.

Thank you @Versispellis for explaining in so well :)

• SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I definitely agree that this sounds like a royal pain in da tush. Might be hard to get a clip with how you’re describing things.

The devs should certainly be made aware that this issue is still an on going thing.

Thank you @Versispellis for explaining in so well :)

No problem. I regret having not clipped it when it happened to me. At the time I thought it was just a random thing.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Prrasha
    Prrasha
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it still happens. Hang around in North Elsweyr, and you can hear people asking /zone, "where did the boss go?"

And it's a horrible horrible mechanic that I've filed multiple bugs against.

World Bosses aren't meant to be solo'ed, even though many are soloable (and I've soloed them myself).

The idea seems to me, that they are pickup-group content. Get a World Boss quest, ask /zone for help, and 2-12 random people take down the boss. Or, people just form boss-farming groups so they can all mutually share the quests.

Thus, there are three things that ZoS does with world bosses that are horrible:

1) despawning bosses. It's bad enough to have to wait for people to assemble for the kill. Making them wait an extra spawn cycle on top of that is horrible. We're here to PLAY THE GAME, not stare at a bare patch on the ground where the game SHOULD be.

2) blockable quest updates. Not every world boss has this issue, but many do. Indrik in Summerset, and Swordmaster and Zalsheem in South EW are three great examples. If you are in a group, and someone clicks one of the clickable objectives, and you are not there for the group update (ex: you're in wayshrine zoning-screen limbo), then you CANNOT COMPLETE THE QUEST. The clickies won't be available for you to click, and you didn't get the update when they were clicked. Either make world boss quests all single-update (just... kill the boss), or make sure the clickies are NEVER blockable in this way. If I hear someone ask for help with a NorthEW boss, at this point, I won't help unless it's my quest for the day, and I can help WITHOUT joining a group. That is not exactly promoting camaraderie.

3) 10 minute spawn times. If you need to limit loot drops, do what you do with delve bosses, and have a loot timer separate from the boss's spawn timer. Again, showing up for a world boss JUST as another group kills it, so you now have 10 minutes of time just STARING AT NOTHING, is horrible game design. Some people only have an hour or two to play a night; don't steal 15% of their gaming time to try to keep bots from farming. Punish the guilty, not the innocent.
    Edited by Prrasha on April 24, 2020 10:04PM
  • ddgsodium
    ddgsodium
    ✭✭✭
    ddgsodium wrote: »

This is a heck of a necro. Though I am now curious, as I have never seen this happen either

Did it happen to you @ddgsodium ?

Could it be something for players that cannot burn the bosses down fast enough?

This is something that certainly could use a clip. When I am overland farming solo there are plenty of times I am waiting quite long for the boss to appear.

It's usually like this:

You find the boss. You try to solo it and miserably fail. You find some dudes from chat to kill boss together (and share quest). Just as people are showing up, the boss just disappears.

I have had this issue at Summerset, and now Northern Elsweyr.