Update 24 and the Dragonhold DLC Game Pack are both now available for testing on the PTS! Experience the amazing conclusion to the Season of the Dragon saga. You can read the full patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/493609/ 

How did your character become a necromancer?

Starlock
Starlock
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I'm finally starting to play the necromancer class after sitting on it for months. As I've been playing her, she's been developing quite the interesting backstory. Instead of this character starting as a necromancer, it is something that is developing for the character as I weave her story. For those of you who have necromancer characters, how did your character become a necromancer? Was it something they were always interested in? Was there some event in their lives that inspired them to take up the art? Or perhaps like my character you got corrupted somehow while adventuring and started developing weird connections with death and undeath?
I play ESO on XBOX NA
My gameplay focus is creativity - through storytelling, character design, and character development
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Dunmer Necromancer is a former slaver for House Dres.

See, its not illegal necromancy if its a human or beast...

"What do you mean, "the city guards don't care about dunmeri laws?" Pfft, such n'wah!"
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Dunmer stamina necromancer has been a treasure-hunter for decades. She's self-reliant, resourceful, and pragmatic, and prioritizes survival and success over things like trite principles and dogma. Over time she grew more comfortable with the presence of undead in the (non-Dunmer) crypts and ruins she explored. When she faced a life-or-death situation in an Ayleid tomb, she did the only thing she could do to save herself - she willed the bones of the fallen around her to fight at her side. That pretty much erased whatever remaining misgivings she might have had about messing with the dead.

I don't really have a fleshed-out backstory for my Breton magicka necromancer, but she sees the dead as tools to be utilized - just as everything else in the world, people included, are tools. Just as a craftsman or a warrior has tools of the trade, the dead are her tools, and she will use them to accomplish as much as she can.

(Their full writeups are in the first link in my sig if anybody wants to read them.)
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer
    Linnea Heavy-Pockets - EP Nord Templar brawler
    Lollygags-Where-She-Likes - EP Argonian Templar healer
    Gurtha gra-Margaz - DC Orc Sorcerer stormflailer
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories (updated)
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    PC NA
  • Eirinin
    Eirinin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a necromancer, but I do have a character that didn't make it her goal to become what she's becoming, so perhaps it fits in with your question. She's a little bit older. An Altmer, and what we would call early middle aged, say in her human equivalent to 40-45. She married young for her race, to an older Altmer. Children followed. Those children are now all of an age to require mom and dad's money for things like training/advanced education/military commissions/stuff like that. Unfortunately for my dear character, all this comes just as she's been made a widow. Left with the needs of her own day to day expenses, plus trying to help pay towards her offsprings education has left her rather strapped for cash.

As a young woman she had some magical skill, but there was no need to practice all that when there were children to raise, in laws to entertain, and the Joneses to keep up with to an extent. In short, she's decades out of practice, and her only talents are cooking and baking. She's basically a mom and has been swept up into this havoc of having been killed and her soul taken. Not that she'd likely tell her children this. She doesn't like to worry them.

For now magic is rusty and she's frantically trying to get help improving. Summoning a familiar and fleeing is a viable, frequently used option.

To keep her feeling off kilter and underpowered I'm putting points in crafting for every point in magic and not using all her points yet, either. I'm not sure what she's headed for. I don't know what she's going to become. (But that's the fun of it).
    Edited by Eirinin on September 10, 2019 5:08PM
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark Elf, House Indoril, tribunal priest - summoning ancestral spirits is all part of the job.

Joins the Pact military and has training in coercive post-mortem interrogation (like Lt Belron does in the The Rift).

Does the Elsweyr tutorial, which starts off with him having just survived a near death experience with a dragon. Having his soul pulled back from the very threshold of Aetherius gives him first hand experience of the whole business of death. Being a revenant gives him a lot of the powers and abilities of necromancer, as well as all that stuff player characters get because they were supposed to be the Vestige.

I have two other necros. They start as Main Quest Vestiges. They are necros because that is just the way Lorkhan chose to re-make them (Lorkhan being the dead god who instituted mortal death).
    Edited by RaddlemanNumber7 on September 10, 2019 6:14PM
    PC EU
  • 2Weenies
    2Weenies
    ✭✭
    I've a Khajiiti Master Wizard of House Telvanni. Has quite a bit of prowess in magic and inherited his stuff from his Dunmeri father. Obviously, not a lot of folks liked that, so he was often the victim of many attacks and thefts, especially from lower rankings in the House. He inevitably grew wildly paranoid and deranged, using darker arts to scare off would-be assailants. Unfortunately for him, most of his enemies were unfazed.

The events were relentless, and fearing for his life, he delved deeply into necromancy. Within several months and rigorous study, he achieved lichdom and was more than willing to strike a new kind of fear among the Telvanni that harassed him using gruesome torture and execution tactics, a terrifying mastery of the blackest art, and even utilizing their minions against them as some sort of twisted call sign. His message was finally received, earning him back some respect and instilling dread within the lower rankings of House Telvanni.

Thankfully, for the rest of Nirn, he really doesn't care to go full-on "villainous lich monster," and only cares to continue his research. Every now and then, a project will involve some of the more vile magics and cruel arts, but most of his comings-and-goings are just further studies. After all, what good is being practically immortal when you don't even know everything? Gotta be petty and flex on folks later down the line.
    "We're watching you, scum." ~ Every Ordinator who witnesses my social media commentary
  • Cygemai_Hlervu
    Cygemai_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't. Moreover I can't understand those who did it after all that sacrifice to Molag Bal. After all the evil the Necromancers have done. We all are supposed to fight those abominations and destroy them entirely, not join them! Since the Devs made that class playable I avoid or murder any Necromancer I meet in the game. No cooperation with those s'wits. I wonder what makes you all join them? It's a pure insanity. They must be sentenced to a penalty of death, followed by Rites of Forgetting and disposal of remains in the Pyres of Purification - at least as a retaliation act. Behold the price of blasphemy.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't. Moreover I can't understand those who did it after all that sacrifice to Molag Bal. After all the evil the Necromancers have done. We all are supposed to fight those abominations and destroy them entirely, not join them! Since the Devs made that class playable I avoid or murder any Necromancer I meet in the game. No cooperation with those s'wits. I wonder what makes you all join them? It's a pure insanity. They must be sentenced to a penalty of death, followed by Rites of Forgetting and disposal of remains in the Pyres of Purification - at least as a retaliation act. Behold the price of blasphemy.

Well...

Both of my necromancers developed their crafts before they were sacrificed to Molag Bal. One of them was recruited by the Worm Cult, and when she turned them down they sacrificed her instead. She has no love for them or really any evildoers, but that doesn't mean she's going to stop using the powers she's developed just because that's what the baddies use. Frankly she kind of enjoys the idea of using their own dark arts against them, because those guys were jerks.

You probably have a point with the other one, but she doesn't much care what you or anybody else thinks. :D
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    PC NA
  • Cygemai_Hlervu
    Cygemai_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »

Well...

Both of my necromancers developed their crafts before they were sacrificed to Molag Bal. One of them was recruited by the Worm Cult, and when she turned them down they sacrificed her instead. She has no love for them or really any evildoers, but that doesn't mean she's going to stop using the powers she's developed just because that's what the baddies use. Frankly she kind of enjoys the idea of using their own dark arts against them, because those guys were jerks.

You probably have a point with the other one, but she doesn't much care what you or anybody else thinks. :D

Necromancy is a crime almost everywhere unless you are a Telvanni mage practicing those beasts and tailless apes :D. The game and its lore have already given us all the possible roles - we just have to choose which one to play. There's no way to join the Worm Cult and I cannot recall even a single dialogue line mentioning us to join their ranks. Also there's no way to join House Telvanni. So how are you supposed to be the one you say you are, the way different from just fantasizing it?
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Create a New Character--->Choose Alliance ---> Choose Necromancer--->Choose High Elf--- DONE

d540695bccfd81821c2c7c3c0bdfbecebdbb7c4eea26a105c9fa02659f64dfee.jpg
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well...

Necromancy is a crime almost everywhere unless you are a Telvanni mage practicing those beasts and tailless apes :D. The game and its lore have already given us all the possible roles - we just have to choose which one to play. There's no way to join the Worm Cult and I cannot recall even a single dialogue line mentioning us to join their ranks. Also there's no way to join House Telvanni. So how are you supposed to be the one you say you are, the way different from just fantasizing it?

Well if a person wants to actually play as a Worm Cultist and help the Planemeld instead of trying to stop it, they're gonna be out of luck. But you can do pretty much whatever you want with your backstory leading up to what happens in the game. I always work out how each of my characters got into the Worm Cult's clutches to get sacrificed as part of their backstories. (I also pretend the Hooded Figure isn't a thing, and I consider waking up in the Wailing Prison to be the beginning of their in-game stories. I'm old-school like that.) In the case of my first necromancer, she developed her skills independently as a survival mechanic while treasure-hunting, and that's what got the Worm Cult interested in her as a potential asset.

I reckon my second necromancer was actually in the Worm Cult before she was sacrificed. She doesn't hold it against them too much, but she doesn't really have any loyalty toward them since they apparently no longer had need of her services. I can justify her helping to stop the Planemeld as either defiance toward the group who eliminated her from the roster, or a challenge to see what she alone can accomplish against their entire organization. But either way she's quite happy using her formerly-dead minions to help do the job.

You don't have to be a Telvanni or a Worm Cultist to become a necromancer. In fact it's kind of fun to come up with creative alternatives to those obvious paths.
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    PC NA
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You don't have to be a Telvanni or a Worm Cultist to become a necromancer. In fact it's kind of fun to come up with creative alternatives to those obvious paths.

Indeed! I started my character as an orc from Wrothgar who got corrupted by reach magic during the siege at Frostbreak Fortress (specifically during that epic fight at the end of the "For King and Glory" quest). How that's going to play out long term is something I'm storytelling as I go. I'm not a huge fan of necromancers as a general character concept, but if you can weave an interesting tale it becomes a blast regardless. Perhaps doing a character who never wanted these weird corrupt powers in the first place reflects my own feelings about the class to some extent... haha.
    I play ESO on XBOX NA
    My gameplay focus is creativity - through storytelling, character design, and character development
  • Cygemai_Hlervu
    Cygemai_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭
    [You don't have to be a Telvanni or a Worm Cultist to become a necromancer. In fact it's kind of fun to come up with creative alternatives to those obvious paths.

Hmm.. Yes, you're right and I'm convinced now. Awesome! Almalexia passed me into the Hands of Almalexia Order after I finished the "Seal of Three" quest in spite of my Sorcerer class. Other "non-mages" factions do the same. Necromancer is a class thus it's not restricted to the Worm Cult only. Thanks! But still that doesn't legalize necromancy. Necromancy is still a shameful craft.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancy is still a shameful craft.

That's something for each character to work out individually. Does he fight that shame within himself, rationalizing it as all being for the greater good? Does she hide her abilities from society as much as possible, until circumstances force her to use her powers to defend herself or others? Does he not give a crap what the law or society thinks and flaunt his dark power for all to see? (That one may involve a lot of running from guards. :D)

Have fun coming up with something that works for you. :)
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    PC NA
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many of life's career choices come down to this:
    UCZr9E4.gif
    It's all fun and games until....
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Cygemai_Hlervu
    Cygemai_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭
    Necromancy is still a shameful craft.

That's something for each character to work out individually. Does he fight that shame within himself, rationalizing it as all being for the greater good? Does she hide her abilities from society as much as possible, until circumstances force her to use her powers to defend herself or others? Does he not give a crap what the law or society thinks and flaunt his dark power for all to see? (That one may involve a lot of running from guards. :D)

Have fun coming up with something that works for you. :)

Well regarding this point I can't agree. This is not something for each character to work out individually - it is the matter of a certain society's attitude. And the majority of all the nations of Tamriel are the same on this matter - Necromancy is abomination. Whatever a certain Necromancer thinks himself of his craft is completely irrelevant. He may think whatever he wants but his craft is a shameful crime. This is all about what others think of it. Only Dunmer do tolerate it if only the objects of Necromancy are corpses of outlanders. The Devs gave us this class to play but I suppose an honest man will not choose that role to play to make that world even darker. The same way they could make Sloads a playable race - I doubt someone would ever become one of those filthy rabbles after they've done. They even are not humanoids. The same way we could "play" a role of any of those mushrooms growing outside Vivec City.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may be right about how society views necromancy, but how an individual chooses to find his place in that society is very important. As we've already discussed, a character may have various reasons for taking up necromancy, and not all of them are evil. I'd argue that there's great dramatic potential in exploring the gray areas between "entirely good" and "entirely evil." The flawed hero can be pretty compelling - using questionable methods to perform heroic deeds, rationalizing those methods, dealing with inner conflict and choosing how to present himself to a world programmed to regard him with scorn and disgust. As an "honest (wo)man" I might be repulsed by what necromancy represents, but as an actor I'd absolutely find reasons to delve into that kind of complex and not entirely pristine character portrayal.

That's probably overthinking things quite a bit, but this of course assumes that you care about the depth of your internal RP and aren't just here to smash some quests and look cool doing it. :D
    Edited by Ilsabet on September 18, 2019 11:22PM
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    PC NA
  • Cygemai_Hlervu
    Cygemai_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭
    @Ilsabet, they raise corpses, desecrate tombs, combine different bodies in one like some sort of Frankenstein and kill people to do those things. Why do I have to even ask myself of what inner emotional expirience do such a folk go through? It is so irrelevant. I'm just playing a role given to me by the universe. I see no point in overthinking it - why does it even matter if that does not affect anything? We are the Prisoners there as Sotha Sil called us. We are all outlanders, Vestiges, we do not belong to that world. So no point to be the ones we are not, I think.