Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Congratulations ZOS- you destroyed all chat functions in game

Soul_Demon
Soul_Demon
✭✭✭✭✭
I knew eventually the lack of professionals at that company eventually would destroy the game.....I think you have done it. Now that no one can communicate, constant crashes and years old bugs ......I believe you found the perfect 'storm' of incompetence to do it. Congratulations!
  • Earthewen
    Earthewen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG. I went into game this morning and ALL chat in ALL zones are not functioning. Now you can't even communicate with your guilds or people in zone ANYWHERE!!!!

My big question is do you really think when this game dies completely, you'll still have jobs? I'm not sure having ESO on your resume will actually get you employment anywhere else when everyone knows the debacle this game is turning into. You really need to reconsider your choices and maybe test things BEFORE you put out a product that doesn't work.

yes, yes, I know TURN OFF ALL ADDONS.... We should not have to turn off our addons to make the game work, guys. That's just stupid.
    Edited by Earthewen on September 9, 2019 12:55PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is an add-on that is breaking your chat, then yeah, you need to turn it off.

P.S. - you might want to share what add-on it is, for other that come across this, and also let the add-on author know.
    Edited by Elsonso on September 9, 2019 1:01PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What? I was just in game and had no chat problems. Are you sure it’s not an addon?
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is an add-on that is breaking your chat, then yeah, you need to turn it off.

P.S. - you might want to share what add-on it is, for other that come across this, and also let the add-on author know.

You would think if the game itself allowed and actually encouraged these addons from day one they would NEVER pretend that they could not have ever avoided this kind of thing. You know, like being competent at a job usually requires- consideration of impact and quality control first before you drop something on paying customers leaving them to troubleshoot.
  • Earthewen
    Earthewen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, I just wanted to go through every single addon in my list to find the trouble that ZOS should have let us know about in the first place. They could have put it in the patch notes like, "oh, and (addon name here) isn't going to work anymore. So everyone using it might want to turn it off."
  • Unstable.Pixel
    Unstable.Pixel
    ✭✭✭
    It's not ZoS's problem to make newly outdated addons work for their game, its the other way around.
    I swear to drunk i'm not god
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update your addons?
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dial back the rage. This problem is add on related and not the base game. While it would be best practice for zeni to communicate changes that impact API components, they would have to understand their game well enough to know the impact and we know that’s not going to happen.

And so using addons means accepting that sometimes they will get broken by unannounced changes, and we will have to turn them off until they get updated. It happens all the time and it’s really not a big deal.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soul_Demon wrote: »

You would think if the game itself allowed and actually encouraged these addons from day one they would NEVER pretend that they could not have ever avoided this kind of thing. You know, like being competent at a job usually requires- consideration of impact and quality control first before you drop something on paying customers leaving them to troubleshoot.

The way the world is. Game developers update and release games. Add-on and mod makers take that and adapt to any changes. ESO generally changes things that impact add-ons once per quarter. In this case, I am guessing that the change to close what sounds like a chat-based exploit resulted in a change that broke an add-on. Oddly enough, maybe the add-on that was causing the problem in the first place.

On the other hand, if someone were exploiting this chat thing they fixed, that certain someone may have an in-game social ban in place.
    Edited by Elsonso on September 9, 2019 1:27PM
  • Veles
    Veles
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didnt have any problems with chat and I dont have problems now. What r u talking about? What chat problems?
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The way the world is. Game developers update and release games. Add-on and mod makers take that and adapt to any changes. ESO generally changes things that impact add-ons once per quarter. In this case, I am guessing that the change to close what sounds like a chat-based exploit resulted in a change that broke an add-on. Oddly enough, maybe the add-on that was causing the problem in the first place.

The patch notes that it was related to the game client handling special characters in a way that compromised the client. Im guessing the change altered the chat API which “broke” all addons hat handle chat.
    Fixed an issue where a large number of a specific characters appearing in chat could cause the client to become unresponsive.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    Dial back the rage. This problem is add on related and not the base game. While it would be best practice for zeni to communicate changes that impact API components, they would have to understand their game well enough to know the impact and we know that’s not going to happen.

And so using addons means accepting that sometimes they will get broken by unannounced changes, and we will have to turn them off until they get updated. It happens all the time and it’s really not a big deal.

That one line....it occurs to me you are absolutely right. Its really a question of allowing the slow indoctrination ZOS has perpetuated about professionalism to take hold I need to deal with. Lag- player problem, not theirs. Crashes- player problem, don't group up. Bugs- player problem, don't use those skills. Addons they actively encouraged people to write to save them the work- player problem, don't use them.

It all stems from the unjustified expectation of assuming at some point they will take some responsibility for putting out garbage and asking customers to pay for it while they conduct the 'on the job training' programs they run there so employees who are tasked with this stuff can figure out eventually to run quality checks before they push anything out. I definitely agree with you....player problem, never expect even baseline ability to consider impact of what you push or quality check it before.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The patch notes that it was related to the game client handling special characters in a way that compromised the client. Im guessing the change altered the chat API which “broke” all addons hat handle chat.

Not all of them. This is why I am starting to wonder whether this is specific to an addon that, in theory, could have been exploiting this chat bug for personal gain... resulting in ZOS blocking the addon or muting those who were/are using it.
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all of them. This is why I am starting to wonder whether this is specific to an addon that, in theory, could have been exploiting this chat bug for personal gain... resulting in ZOS blocking the addon or muting those who were/are using it.

What is it you mean by "not all of them" here? Are you privy to something the rest of the community does not know or have you stumbled upon the cause of this specific problem?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ZOS can block the add-on, but given that everyone using it just has to turn it off to chat, that's not a very effective mute button.

So I doubt ZOS targeted users.

I'm also glad they fixed an issue!

I do wish ZOS had given players and add-on developers a little more warning before throwing it into an incremental patch like this, especially for a conpany who wants to do better with communication. We expect addons to be wonky around major updates, but sudden issues after a small patch are still like WTF even when you realize its got to be the add-ons. (I fully agree there's been enough times that it's not the add-ons to explain a certain impulse for "Ugh, ZOS, what did you break this time?!")

Sure, ZOS doesnt have to warn players and addon developers about anything.

But it would be another way to improve communication.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What is it you mean by "not all of them" here? Are you privy to something the rest of the community does not know or have you stumbled upon the cause of this specific problem?

I don't have chat issues, and I run chat add-ons, so obviously, not all of them...
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have chat issues, and I run chat add-ons, so obviously, not all of them...

What ones would that be? Listing them would be helping those who are 'troubleshooting' right now- Go ahead and list the ones you use that are not impacted to save the time for others looking as we speak.
  • Earthewen
    Earthewen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Special characters in the names in the chat window? An exploit? The only exploit I can figure out is when someone uses the special characters in their name in order to avoid being reported when they cheat in game or exploit the game mechanics which is against the TOS.

If that is true …
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On the other hand, if someone were exploiting this chat thing they fixed, that certain someone may have an in-game social ban in place.

ZOS didnt mention anything about an exploit. Just:

"Fixed an issue where a large number of a specific characters appearing in chat could cause the client to become unresponsive."

So while I suppose its possible that some people went around spiking other player's clients with large blocks of special character text, I would think we'd be able to recognize that happening.

Now, I'm on PC/NA, so I don't often see lots of special characters. Is that more of a PC/EU issue?

Edited: apparently, there was an exploit, as per Gina's most recent comment.
    Edited by VaranisArano on September 9, 2019 3:11PM
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earthewen wrote: »
    Special characters in the names in the chat window? An exploit? The only exploit I can figure out is when someone uses the special characters in their name in order to avoid being reported when they cheat in game or exploit the game mechanics which is against the TOS.

If that is true …

Last week there was chatter about a bunch of players getting banned for intentionally causing other players to crash. Zeni shut down all the threads about it and nobody owned up to what had been done in Discord chat, just complaints about getting banned. (And stupid justifications like “I didn’t do anything wrong I just tested with a friend to see if it worked”. Because dumb’s gonna dumb).

Now I wonder if it wasn’t a chat bug that people were intentionally exploiting (because ****’s Gonna ****)
    Edited by Reverb on September 9, 2019 2:44PM
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    We need competence in posting
  • BloodSkull_ESO
    BloodSkull_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    what chat addon are you using @Soul_Demon
  • BloodSkull_ESO
    BloodSkull_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Earthewen wrote: »

If that is true …

it is true some players were banned for using some chat exploit to crash players
    Edited by BloodSkull_ESO on September 9, 2019 2:58PM
  • BloodSkull_ESO
    BloodSkull_ESO
    ✭✭✭

ZOS didnt mention anything about an exploit. Just:

"Fixed an issue where a large number of a specific characters appearing in chat could cause the client to become unresponsive."

So while I suppose its possible that some people went around spiking other player's clients with large blocks of special character text, I would think we'd be able to recognize that happening.

Now, I'm on PC/NA, so I don't often see lots of special characters. Is that more of a PC/EU issue?

yes you will see names on the eu server that have special characters in them
  • dogman
    dogman
    ✭✭✭✭

You are aware addons are 3rd party, and not official, right? You do realise that? Please tell me you understand how a mod works.
    i'm just tryna have a good time
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

At present two or so that I know have only chat functions. Pnames, Shissus as primary- unfortunately about 30% of all the guild addons have somewhat of a function in chat too- making the list pretty extensive along with some combat ones. Right now seems to be involved in about half of all the addons I have on- then again it could be just because we don't know for sure what the issue is exactly.
    dogman wrote: »

You are aware addons are 3rd party, and not official, right? You do realise that? Please tell me you understand how a mod works.

Yes....as stated above I remember when ZOS was actively encouraging the addon creators to do what they do to support the gaming community here way back in the beginning to save them the work of doing so. And of course I commented on how I felt about the approach they have now regarding quality control as well as using the community as 'cheat monitors' and 'bug locators' instead of paid GM's in the game to monitor those things......that is to say paying for the game and actually suggesting the paying customers should be expected to perform these functions while you collect fees and profits- is bad...really bad.
    Edited by Soul_Demon on September 9, 2019 3:15PM
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    libchatmessage was the culprit for me. I think any library with a Chat function will cause the issue.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

At present two or so that I know have only chat functions. Pnames, Shissus as primary- unfortunately about 30% of all the guild addons have somewhat of a function in chat too- making the list pretty extensive along with some combat ones. Right now seems to be involved in about half of all the addons I have on- then again it could be just because we don't know for sure what the issue is exactly.

I don't know if this will help, but someone in the other thread mentioned Shissu's as well.
    Lynnara1 wrote: »
    Turning off Shissu's 'chat' line worked for me.
  • BloodSkull_ESO
    BloodSkull_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    libchatmessage was the culprit for me. I think any library with a Chat function will cause the issue.

yeah same for me as well just drop that crap and your stuff will work
    Edited by BloodSkull_ESO on September 9, 2019 3:26PM
  • iamkeebler
    iamkeebler
    ✭✭✭✭
    On console (PS4) we continue to have to deal with the many chat glitch issues. From chats disappearing, to cutting in and out. It’s incredibly frustrating and has been going on for years now. I have no hope of it ever getting fixed.