Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you skip crafting on alts?

Lenox
Lenox
✭✭
How do YOU manage it all? Do you have one character that has everything researched? One character with all 7 crafts? Your alts with none? Split somehow? Do you do writs on all characters but only put significant point investments in one character?

Please share your thoughts and experiences. Thanks.
Nord TankCro
Redguard StamCro
Orc StamKnight
Khajiit MagBlade
Argonian HealPlar
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    18 characters with level 50 in each craft. I do all writs most days, but it does consume time, even with addons speeding it up. If someone were to be more casual about it, I'd recommend having one dedicated crafter for all crafts and if you choose to do writs on more, tier 1 is fine for the most part.
  • xWarbrain
    xWarbrain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one character that is fully researched / Master Crafter (I don't have every motif though).

I only craft on Alts during the event that drops motifs. Other than that, I go through long phases of being too lazy to even log in to do the daily writs on my master crafter. I'll do them when I need to log in on him to make potions for my other characters these days.
    XB1 NA
    Your nerf suggestion is dumb. Learn to counter other players instead of having the game rebuilt to your ability level.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have one of what I call an elite master crafter that characters job is to learn every motif, recipe, and furnishing plan in the game. Then I have 5 master crafters that have all 9 traits researched, their job is to generate master writs. After that I have 8 max lvl crafters their job is to just focus on daily writs. And then I have the daily grind lers these are less than lvl 50 in crafting skills and they are there to generate daily rewards. I have about 30 of these sometimes up to 50. I dedicate about 3 hours of gameplay a day to getting writs done usually.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one character that is fully leveled and trained on all crafts. I have a second that has one more craft to get to 50 but needs a lot of skill points to finish maxing out all of the crafts skills. My intent is to leave it at these two as the dailies are a good way to fill the time waiting on Group Finder.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 "master crafter" that has max passives in crafting, max rank, knows all motifs, and all furnishing plans

17 more crafters that are full 9-trait, max rank, only relevant crafting passives for getting master writs. They know cheap motifs (4 base game purple, hollowjack, etc..). These are learning motifs as I get them from events like the anniversary event, or from running DLC dungeons, etc.

18 more crafters on an alt account that are 8-trait crafters in WW/BS/Cloth, and 6-trait in jewelry, max rank, and the relevant crafting passives for master writs. They know the cheap motifs. Any anniversary event motifs they receive are funneled to my main account (along with the master writs for my main crafter to do)

Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost all my alts are fully leveled in crafting. However, only one knows all traits, motifs and gets all the recipes. Most of the others know some traits and do Tier 1 Crafting Writs.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently decided to try out the "writ assembly line" model on a small scale to spice things up so now have 6 characters doing the big three writs at top tier. One of those does jewelry too, and the main crafter does all seven writs. Conclusions so far after a couple weeks.

1. It is definitely generically lucrative, but on the small scale I'm doing it, and without add-ons, not sure it outweighs spending the time gathering in opportunity cost. Appears to be about a wash or slight edge to gathering, which is 70-100k gold per hour spent depending. I like getting the extra tempers and surveys of course, but also get those gathering. I find multitasking, multientertaining rather via music, TV or phone calls much easier gathering than doing writs.
    2. There's no way I'd do more writs, 6 sets of them is right at my fun/tedium point. This is a subjective preference. Some hate gathering and like the writs, others vice versa. Only the individual player can determine where their gaming fun lies in this area IMO, there is no objective right answer. Gold in the game has limited uses past a point if one isn't real big into motifs, housing or cosmetics. I'm only moderately interested in any of those, so like having extra to support good guilds. If playing at all, would subscribe to alleviate lots of inventory micromanagement, so not interested in buying all the DLC and then playing free. So again, depends on how much gold you want and what kind of gaming satisfaction it brings you. Some want piles of gold, some could care less.
    3. I will probably stop the alchemy and enchanting writs on the main crafter, which seem to consistently underperform. Someone who doesn't do much gathering and places more value on the surveys would conclude differently. The provisioning writs seem to overperform in providing purple linchpin mats frequently, so will likely continue those.
    4. Will likely keep the writ assembly line in cloth, wood and metal on the characters that have it now, but will not be expanding it to other characters going forward. Losing interest in ESO generally due to gross design/development errors and incompetence and sharp business practices, so may not be doing much of anything in the game soon, crafting or otherwise.

TLDR, it's subjective, you will need to draw your own conclusions. Hope this helps.
  • Lenox
    Lenox
    ✭✭
    Helpful comments. Thanks, all.
    Nord TankCro
    Redguard StamCro
    Orc StamKnight
    Khajiit MagBlade
    Argonian HealPlar
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I research everything but nirnhoned on my alts. Its mostly to keep the on-character inventory logical as it splits researched and non-researched items (I'm on PS4)
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only been doing daily writs for about a year, first just on my main, then added 3 alts during the anniversary event I think, if that was the one where you got rewards for doing writs.

Only my main has 9 traits, I plan to keep the alts at 8 trait. My main is the Grand Master Crafter with all the motifs, the alts have the basic blue and rare purple books, and a few others like duplicate Dwemer pages.

I find it easier to wait until my alts get to level 50 (and make the meteoric rise to max cp like my main) to do the daily writs. I get alts leveled up to 50 on crafting in blacksmithing, clothing, and woodworking in the meantime, just by deconning everything, and everybody then gets the tier 10 mats by allocating skill points. My main also does enchanting dailies because runestones are easy to farm.

I know having extra crafting alts really helps with getting more master writs, but I’m on console and I don’t want to spend much more time, and mats, doing writs. It’s about 30 minutes with 3 toons right now, those long loading screens. I want to maximize playtime instead.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Early on I tried making each character self sufficient. So now I have three characters that know 9-8 traits on all equipment. I converted one into my crafter and taught him all the motifs/ plans. I did split enchanting, alchemy, & cooking across three other characters, which at the time was done to conserve skill points. Now pretty much only my chef, knowing all recipes, remains so specialized. Just for something to do, I have been leveling craft lines on characters down the alt ladder.

As for writs, most days I just do the 7 on my crafter. Mainly because I'm too lazy to log in and out of characters.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. No time for that
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is one of my favourite things to do in the game.
    Waking up to fresh daily writs to make some shiny coins.
    So all my characters craft
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have been running all my alts through the crafting dailies. I do NA one day (2 dailies, 1 already taken) and then EU the next. That speeds some things up, but it does take far too much time.

I am on the PS4, so no addons to help here, just slogging through the interface that could really use some improvements. (How about automatically selecting the items I need to craft if I have that in my craft log for example?)

I am not sure how long I can make myself keep this up though. It takes about 10 minutes each with the delays from logging out and back in. (Which is one reason I really want to be able to log directly into another character, skipping the trip to the character list screen.)

I have 9 characters on NA, 8 on EU. The 9 on NA are all at 50 in the ones you can decon (except JC), but I am still building a couple to that point on EU. This leaves little time to do other things, like leveling up or grabbing the skill points I still need for everyone. Annoying, but it does provide gold, so it still gets done for now at least.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one main crafter, who used to be my main adventuring character, who can craft anything except jewelry and some of the styles. I'm not worried about that, and just learn them as and when they get picked up. I also use her for some casual adventuring to feed my alts' CP.

Out of my alts, I have three who are slowly leveling/researching crafting (one of which is doing jewelry), although they are still pre-lv50 and so mostly do other stuff. I do daily writs on all four of those characters.

My other alts are either housing or spare banks and that is all.

I find it works very well indeed with one main crafter. Not sure why I allocated an alt for the jewelry, but there is all the time in the world to change that at some point.

My eventual aim is to have all four characters who craft self-sufficient. Absolutely not necessary, but to me it's part of my playstyle.

• JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Because of "the age before the crafting bag", I had two main crafters. One got all the new recipes, did the enchanting and alchemy. The other one got all the motifs first because smithing/woodworking/clothing. All the alts picked up mats, but the two crafters picked up the appropriate mats for what they did, due to space limits. And no "cheating" with a personal banker at the time.

All my alts do crafting, and research as they find items. None of them have the "research multiple items at once" skills. I set their levels to the mats I want to find, so while my main crafter will never find anything other than ruby/rubedite/ancestor silk, the others can find everything from jute/iron/maple to voidstone/nightwood/ebonthread. Its how I get the mats to offer to craft under cp160 gear for guildies for free.
  • dagrdagaz_5912
    dagrdagaz_5912
    ✭✭✭
    Well, except my mule character, i do crafting dailies with all my chars (5 now).
    So, i can finance my main activity in this game, buying and furnishing houses.
    I do have a main crafter character though.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My main char knows all traits, has the priority to have all the motifs and recipes/furnishings.
    I do daily writs with all of my chars, even if some don't have yet all the crafting ranks maximized.
    Currently I have 4 all maximized in crafting ranks and passives.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I skip it on alts for sure. Usually just level alchemy so that any of them can make the potions they need, anythign else I dont mind logging to my crafter for.
  • bakthi
    bakthi
    ✭✭✭
    I have 10 characters (one for each race).

The "main" is the one I do all quests on and has the most play time. She is max level in all crafts, and gets dibs on motifs, recipes, etc. Currently 7-9 traits on everything; will have 9 on everything eventually.

The others are in various states of progress due to creation time (I have only been playing since April). The next 2 in line are level 50 cloth/wood/smith, but with no points into the relevant passives. They generally learn whatever traits they can from bound, unwanted drops when they do dungeons or the main quest. The older ones know quite a few, though again, no skill points into passives as they don't have as many due to lack of questing/skyshards.

I do the daily writs on them all, daily. For 3 of them, it's their only exp ever, at least for now. For the rest, I might have time to do a daily random on one of the < 50 ones, maybe not. Sometimes writ exp is all anyone gets.
    Army of me:
    CP810+: Breton Templar healer, Redguard stamina Warden, Imperial DK tank, Altmer magicka Sorceror, Orc stamina Sorceror/werewolf, Nord Necromancer tank, Khajit TG/DB Nightblade, Bosmer stamina Necromancer, Argonian Warden healer, Dunmer magicka DK, Nord Nightblade tank
    Second account, CP400+: Breton magicka Warden, Nord Nightblade healer/solo vampire, Bosmer stamina Templar/werewolf, Dunmer magicka Necromancer, Orc stamina DK, Argonian Warden tank
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main character is also the main crafter; while he is far from having researched all traits for everything (adventuring usually takes precedence over crafting), I do not invest in my other 12 chracters' crafting skills. Apart from the stuff that happens along the way, like provisioning.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hand 1: You get ~30k/week just from doing all writs on a level 50 char every day (before factoring in intricates/ornates/upgrade mats to sell).

Hand 2: me no likey elder relog online!!

So, if I log onto a character, I do writs on that character. Usually in Rimmen so I can hop to Star Haven wayshrine dragon if it's up (hashtag optimized)
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hand 1: You get ~30k/week just from doing all writs on a level 50 char every day (before factoring in intricates/ornates/upgrade mats to sell).

So, if I log onto a character, I do writs on that character. Usually in Rimmen so I can hop to Star Haven wayshrine dragon if it's up (hashtag optimized)

Do you sell or just vendor the stuff you get? I am vendoring the ornates now and deconning the others on NA since I have all decon targets at 50 there.

I would consider selling the intricates, but the amount the would make is low and takes up valuable slots to sell other things.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Writs are easy money.

I have a Grand Master Crafter - first toon I rolled - which is 9 trait and knows most motifs - except the latest. But I do writs on 5 other toons who have or are in the process of being maxed out for clothing/ wood/ jewellery/ bkscksmithing plus research up to 8 traits.

Each toon got levelled by the others so it’s getting quicker to do.

My main is getting towards being another 9 trait.

It’s great to log in and do writs on them - the gold really adds up - as do the gold mats.

Best farm in the game imo.
    Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you sell or just vendor the stuff you get? I am vendoring the ornates now and deconning the others on NA since I have all decon targets at 50 there.

I would consider selling the intricates, but the amount the would make is low and takes up valuable slots to sell other things.

I sell max-level jewelry intricates (~800 gold each). Would love to use the rest to level other char's crafting but ... bank space
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lenox wrote: »
    Please share your thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

I have two master crafter because i switched to warden main. I am working on a 3rd on the other Server.
    I only do dailies on the main each server. On alts i usually just level provisioning and maybe alchemy because it is easy to level and QoL if you dont have to put food into the bank.
    Edited by mague on September 11, 2019 9:38AM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Would love to use the rest to level other char's crafting but ... bank space

Bank space is an issue even when maxed with ESO+. Too many things can end up in there only leaving some open space.

Surveys, recipe parts, etc. all take up space. It is a hassle when I have to toggle between characters several times just to clear up stuff I picked up.

PC
    PS4/PS5
  • SeaWoodStage
    SeaWoodStage
    ✭✭✭
    When my main gets a piece of equipment they can research, they do so. Then when they have the mats, they craft a piece with that trait and put it in the bank for one of the alts to research. I'm also playing it so that all of my alts (I only have three, not planning on more) completed the first part of their story quest and got to a city.

That way, all four chars can get riding lessons and do writs everyday that I log on. I prioritise keen eye first, then hireling.
  • Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have one crafter that can do it all and a second that can do everything short of a few nirncrux items. I do writs on both of them almost every day. I put all the deconstructable rewards in the bank and have been breaking them down and doing occasional research on my other alts to level, but I've been in no hurry. However, by doing this I have 4-5 non-priority characters completely leveled in all crafting as well. If I ever feel like farming any of them additional skill points, I'll add them to my writ routine. Also, all of my pvp characters have alchemy maxed for the medicinal use passive.
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first character is a crafter with all crafting trees at max level and every trait researched.

On my other characters i usulaay only do cooking and alchemy for the extra food/drink/potion duration.

Crafting writs are a bit boring to do every day, I gave up on them.

Maybe one day I will get that master crafter title...
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.