The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

DK Magicka not Stam?

Draconicer
I am confused gang. I created a new tune thinking it would be a Stamina DK. I have found that ALL of the abilities in the three class categories are Magicka based?! He is a Nord DK and I wanted to create him for future Cyrodiil events and battle. Am I missing something here? I see that a few of the abilities when morphed can become Stamina based, but mostly all I see are Magicka abilities in the three classes. Disappointed!
  • KingExecration
    KingExecration
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamina dk and sorc both pull most of their damage from weapon lines. You’ll have a few stam morphs but the magic skills are utility.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both stamdk and stamsorc are nothing but disappointing in this regard. And to think stamDk does not even have a physical damage morph of spiked armor, stamsorc does not even have a class ultimate.

It does not matter that much for actual performance in PvP(most meta stam abilities come from weapon and guild skill lines anyways) but you will not find much fun or original in those classes compared to their magicka counterparts as zenimax did their best to ignore them for years.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on August 30, 2019 9:04PM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Class stamDK abilities widely used in majority of PVP builds - venomous claw, noxious breath, volatile armor, fragmented shield, take flight, corrosive armor, fossilize, cauterize. All those skills either scale with stamina/WD/highest resource or aren't dependent of resource. 8 viable class skills, not so bad imo for patch where guild/world skills rule.
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Class stamDK abilities widely used in majority of PVP builds - venomous claw, noxious breath, volatile armor, fragmented shield, take flight, corrosive armor, fossilize, cauterize. All those skills either scale with stamina/WD/highest resource or aren't dependent of resource. 8 viable class skills, not so bad imo for patch where guild/world skills rule.

You need to remove fossilize from your list
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fear not traveller, stam DK is a top tier pvp class. Many are in agreeance that the S-tier pvp classes in the game are mag sorc, and stam dk.

Also good call choosing nord, with the nerf to protective jewelry and pirate skele monster helm I believe nord to be the best pvp class for pretty much any build mag or stam.
    Edited by MentalxHammer on August 30, 2019 11:07PM
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dks have some really good stam morphs, Venomous Claw, Noxious Breath, Corrosive Armor, Take Flight and Flames of Oblivion scales with your highest stats. then dks have tons of very good magic utility skills. nothing to be disappointed with. well maybe Noxious Breaths hit box can be kinda wonky, so i hear.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a great reaction. I need to post this in all the stam is OP threads.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of these Magicka class skills are utility type skills. Only one skill which is strictly designed to deal damage, and does not have a CC or healing or defensive component, is without a morph which either uses or scales off of Stam / Weapon Damage: Whip. All other Magicka DK skills without a Stam / Weapon Damage morph have some defensive, CC, or heal component, making their use reasonable for a StamDK. Neither Inhale nor Ash Cloud are particularly strong or useful in PvP on a StamDK outside of empowerment via a few niche sets, especially after the recent nerf to Cinder Storm, but they do have a heal / CC component, however weak in PvP. Ash Cloud does have some limited utility in Land Grab games, although perhaps not after this recent nerf, and Deep Breath has CC utility in some PvE scenarios.

PvP StamDKs have long found their greatest strength in wearing Heavy Armor and using Sword & Board, both of which suggest a sort of light hybridization: Stam Regen is disabled while blocking, but Mag Regen is not, and the Constitution passive provides as much Magicka restoration as Stamina. Furthermore, the Helping Hands passive provides Stamina through the use of Magicka skills.

The result of all this, in my view, is that Magicka utility skills are quite viable on a StamDK, and that Mag Regen is, circumstantially, as useful as Stam Regen. Most of these utility skills find little increase in power through Max Magicka or Spell Damage, so these things are not helpful for a StamDK, but Mag Regen allows these skills to be used more frequently.

Edit: actually Whip does have a morph with a heal component, but it's next to useless on a StamDK, and the other morph does at least buff Weapon Damage through its passive, but I think it's not worth the slot after the recent diminution.
    Edited by Urzigurumash on August 31, 2019 2:49AM
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Draconicer
    WOW! Thank you all for participating. I did not know that so many would have responded. It just seems, imo, that ZOS could've made a true STAMDK instead of trying to work off Magicka Morphs. Two class stats for Stamina and one class stat for Magicka would have been MUCH better, instead of all three being Magicka that we have to morph a few and then use weapon abilities for the rest of the stam abilities. Meaning...The first two of the class listings should be Stam based (with Magicka Morph abilities), and the third class listing should have been Magicka. Just my thoughts.

Thanks again SO MUCH for responding!

Jay
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thought on that Jay, throughout the history of Western RPGs, "magicka" characters have had at their disposal a broader array of skills to use, but a more limited selection of equipment, while "stamina" characters have had a broader array of equipment to use, but a more limited selection of skills. This has generally been the case in ESO.
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Having two lines of stamina base skills and one line of magicka base skills does nothing but flip the situation on its head -- instead of stamDK having a lack of in-class stamina skills, magDK has a lack of in-class magicka skills.
  • hakan
    hakan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People say stamina have it boring but i disagree. Stam has more weap choices and skills meanwhile magicka has more class skills but most class skills are just non damage boring buffs or boring dots that takes forever to kill on low levels and stave animations sucks where as stam weapons have different animations.

As a stamdk and stamblade player i think these classes are fine.

Stamsorc on the other hand....
  • TrinityBreaker
    TrinityBreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You either remove fozzilize or fragmented shield because Stam DK can not afford both and spiked armor on top of it.
    Ebonheart for life.
    Xbox NA
    I am Dog Star.

Khajiit Stam Sorc - Ji'saad Ranajiradh AR 30
    Khajiit Mag DK - Kesjhad
    Khajiit Magblade - Ji'sava Ak'nir
    Fat Khajiit Stamplar - Dro'haniAk'nir - AR 36
    Khajiit Stam Dk - Diego Ri'jhad - AR 49
    Khajiit Magplar - Dro'nara Ak'nir
    Khajiit StamBlade - Ri'artharr Ak'nir
    Fat Khajiit Stamden - Dro'hani Warbreaker
    Argonian Stam DK - Tiberius Demetros
    Khajiit Stamplar - Diëgo Ri'jhad
    Fat Khajiit Stam DK - Drö'hani Ak'nir/Dances-With-Alkosh
    Khajiit Magden - Arctic Mayhem

• TrinityBreaker
    TrinityBreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »
    dks have some really good stam morphs, Venomous Claw, Noxious Breath, Corrosive Armor, Take Flight and Flames of Oblivion scales with your highest stats. then dks have tons of very good magic utility skills. nothing to be disappointed with. well maybe Noxious Breaths hit box can be kinda wonky, so i hear.

I could be holding your pocket/ have you stand directly in front of me and it will still miss 6 times out of 10.
    Ebonheart for life.
    Xbox NA
    I am Dog Star.

Khajiit Stam Sorc - Ji'saad Ranajiradh AR 30
    Khajiit Mag DK - Kesjhad
    Khajiit Magblade - Ji'sava Ak'nir
    Fat Khajiit Stamplar - Dro'haniAk'nir - AR 36
    Khajiit Stam Dk - Diego Ri'jhad - AR 49
    Khajiit Magplar - Dro'nara Ak'nir
    Khajiit StamBlade - Ri'artharr Ak'nir
    Fat Khajiit Stamden - Dro'hani Warbreaker
    Argonian Stam DK - Tiberius Demetros
    Khajiit Stamplar - Diëgo Ri'jhad
    Fat Khajiit Stam DK - Drö'hani Ak'nir/Dances-With-Alkosh
    Khajiit Magden - Arctic Mayhem

• AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such is ESO. Stam fighters have lotsa weapon abilities to choose from but limited class abilities. Mag fighters are the opposite with lotsa good class abilities but only one offensive weapon to use.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Kronuxx
    Kronuxx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fear not traveller, stam DK is a top tier pvp class. Many are in agreeance that the S-tier pvp classes in the game are mag sorc, and stam dk.

Also good call choosing nord, with the nerf to protective jewelry and pirate skele monster helm I believe nord to be the best pvp class for pretty much any build mag or stam.

Not quite correct. DK is in a good spot but they are not considered "S-tier". S-tier goes to Templar. Particularly magplar. I'd also say magsorc is in second after Magplar.
    Edited by Kronuxx on September 3, 2019 5:38PM
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    This is a great reaction. I need to post this in all the stam is OP threads.

It is. On my Stam DK I can throw down non stop and never run out of resources. On my Mag DK, I'm flat out of juice after about 15 seconds of pvp and just become a sitting duck.

Stam is far superior.
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kronuxx wrote: »

Not quite correct. DK is in a good spot but they are not considered "S-tier". S-tier goes to Templar. Particularly magplar. I'd also say magsorc is in second after Magplar.

You havent got hit with power-charge-sweep-jabs. It's OP in CP because of off balance +10% from charge then every hit after, which adds 10% to the power as well when it procs. Kinda broken.
    Edited by Lokey0024 on September 5, 2019 11:24PM