The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can I succeed without roll dodge?

Malamar1229
Malamar1229
✭✭✭✭✭
I play a stamina warden since the morrowwind game came out and I have a fantastic build utilizing very smartly a high health pool and magicka to maintain some heals. I do realize I have a natural low stamina pool and outside of pvp zones I never really use roll dodge skill much. I hate rolling around but a guildie said I should learn it. recently I tried out my build in cyro and though not bad I was hoping to learn if roll dodging was really needed.
This past weekend my group was attacked by a enemy player name perfectly peach or close to that and he was a high templar that seemed hard to kill and he kept killing me over and over again even though I was in the middle of a large group. What skills should I be using to kill guys like this? I really dont want to learn how to use roll dodge to avoid his attacks so is it possible for me to use other skills instead in order to perform better?
Edited by Malamar1229 on August 28, 2019 4:00AM
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Long story short, roll dodging is basically trading stamina for invulnerability frames and there is nothing else like it in ESO. Even just roll dodging once in a while when the enemy is pressuring you or you're trying to escape (for example: Vigor => roll dodge cancels vigor animation while granting you immunity to non-ground base aoe attacks/dots) allowing more chance of you living through say an onslaught or an executioner or just straight up helping you get out of execution range. As for not using roll dodge, of course it is possible to play the game without roll dodge, but you would not fare as good as players who can actually juggle all the mechanics of the game. I suggest using heavy armor if you're not used to roll dodging and simply try to just do the easiest roll dodges like when you're in deep trouble and you know you're going to get screwed. As for how to kill players that often roll dodge it isn't really that hard. Right now the skills that are strong are DoTs which you can't roll dodge (so for your stamden would be soul trap if you run it) but obviously there are pros and cons of any class. For a stamden you simply just need to catch him out of roll dodge.

Take note that roll dodging within another 4s of another roll dodge costs 33% more (this stacks btw. i.e. first roll dodge 1000 stamina, second roll dodge = 1333, third roll dodge = 1333*1.33 = 1773) so it is unwise to roll dodge multiple times consecutively. Knowing this you can predict that your opponent will probably roll dodge once or twice and then switch to something else unless they're in the oh-my-effing-jeezuz kind of situation (in which case they might just roll dodge 3-4 times while depleting their stam because if they don't they're dead meat anyways).

TL;DR no one is forcing you to roll dodge, but learning roll dodging can only benefit you. Take advantage of enemies probably not roll dodging 3-4 times consecutively within 4s.
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't want to roll dodge as stamina build then you will want to rely on block, utilizing 1hs and preferably heavy armour, but can do in medium aswell and learn how to block instead of dodge. You can do it, but you need to build your character for it and practise. Building to rely on block instead of dodge might also be the way for you to learn when to dodge in critical situations.

You say you are stamina, it seem like you have a health/tank build though? Warden have good magicka HoTs that can be used as stamina, as burst heal i recommend vigor, mushroom or rally if you use a 2h.
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No. Nothing is as great as rolling when outnumbered, except maybe invis pot or cloak (can be used to accomplish the same thing if you use it at the right time and are "skilled enough"). Shields and blocking don't even come close IMO with all the stuff that can be dodged, and the stuff that cannot but you can still dodge apparently (DBoS, Crescent Sweep, Meteor, siege tick,...).

But don't let the forums see me make this statement.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the exact same issue and used to get 1vx'ed a lot. Your best course of action is to get higher health pool and find a larger group to sit inside :p

Btw was peli on a magplar?
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on August 28, 2019 3:08PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I got an Insightful for replacing a snarky comment with "nvm". Let me have another go then:

If you have a small stamina pool and high health, you're either a magicka build or a health tank. I presume the latter, but you are certainly not a stamina warden. IMO warden tanks can assist the group by putting out ice AOE / snares / roots, but speaking from a solo perspective you're doomed to be zerged down and killed, without ever killing anyone yourself but the occasional noob. Some people - a friend - have taken this very far and get a kick out of seeing how long they can last against a zerg, but be under no illusion: You will be killed without killing yourself. It's just a matter of how long you last.

You can't really discount any mechanic in PvP. You have to use them all. If your stamina pool is small, you'll want that for break frees and keep dodge rolls to a minimum. You can focus more on blocking, but that presumes you have some block sustain, which means 1H+S and you're either a DK or you might want to invest in some Sturdy gear and block-cost reduction glyphs to become an actual tank. You'll find 1vXers in PvP, primarily DKs, who are virtually unkillable, but who are sure to use all manner of tricks, primarily LoS (line-of-sight), which makes it difficult to actually hit them. While wardens have some health-based damage skills, I am not aware of any health tanks that can do significant damage in the current patch. The typical tanky stamina DK wears Fury and 7th Legion, which ramps up their weapon damage. They don't build for health.
    Edited by fred4 on August 28, 2019 5:21PM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Tzayad
    Tzayad
    ✭✭✭
    Disabling the double tap to roll dodge and binding it to a key (I use Z key) was the best thing I ever did in this game.
    Practice for a day and it becomes second nature, you'll be a rollie pollie in no time!
    Beren Tinamion | Nightblade
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tzayad wrote: »
    Disabling the double tap to roll dodge and binding it to a key (I use Z key) was the best thing I ever did in this game.
    Practice for a day and it becomes second nature, you'll be a rollie pollie in no time!
    Yeah, that actually goes without saying. Completely forgot about it.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Tzayad wrote: »
    Yeah, that actually goes without saying. Completely forgot about it.

Good tips thanks. I also feel weird about seeing up my dress when I roll dodge too
  • Araviel2
    Araviel2
    ✭✭✭

I also feel weird about seeing up my dress when I roll dodge too

Switch to pants?

Araviel -Professional Zerg surfing mutagen spammer [DC-EU]
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fyi, you said the player that kept killing you was a templar.

Templars are quite equipped to kill you while you're roll dodging. It's still an important skill to learn. But against Templars, especially magplar, roll dodging can be a complete waist.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just ran into the bird. He's one of the best players on pcna. Don't feel bad he wreckes alot of people
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dodge Roll is the single best defensive ability in the game, bar none, and the more focus fire you're under the better it is. That's also true for Magicka classes as well, you just can't do it nearly as much as Stamina can. No matter what class or build you play, I'd suggest getting used to at least a little "strategic" dodge rolling here and there.
  • Own
    Own
    ✭✭✭✭
    You just ran into the bird. He's one of the best players on pcna. Don't feel bad he wreckes alot of people

Lol the bird. @Pelican
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only cowards Roll Dodge.

You’re not a coward, are you?!
  • Zelos
    Zelos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering that most damage in the game is undodgeable at this point, if you are not a stamplar or stamblade you really shouldnt be in medium armor without a way to suppress or purge dots. Medium armor is very hard to play this patch despite its mobility buff, yes you can finally get away from people to stop taking damage UNFORTUNATELY It would not really matter since 10 dots are ticking on you for a total of like 10k a second:)
    Aeonhack - AD Stamina Nightblade - 5 Star General

CP1200

Creator and user of "Questionable" addons and game mechanics.
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭
    In before the thread gets closed.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

? Why would this get closed? I'm confused
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

? Why would this get closed? I'm confused

I think they think it may get closed for "naming and shaming" little do people know you can list names as long as it's nothing negative.

Like I can post an unedited video of a friend with his name listed no prob.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds