Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why not unlink alliance from individual characters, allowing all alts to be played?

Gatdangmayne
Gatdangmayne
✭✭✭✭
Only real argument against could be people who bought any race any alliance, but its not like zos has never given stuff for free that was previously a crown store purchase.

Seems like a good way to make a lot of people happy.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And link alliance to what exactly, if not your characters?
    confused24.gif

• Gatdangmayne
    Gatdangmayne
    ✭✭✭✭
    As in you faction lock to ep for the campaign...all characters are now playable on ep. Or ad. Or dc.

Basically when you pick your alliance for the campaign, your account is locked to that alliance until campaign reset.

Didn't think it was that confusing lol.
    Edited by Gatdangmayne on September 3, 2019 12:18AM
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I could get behind this.

I would still miss playing with some friends, but I would gain being able to PvP all my toons (who have been relegated to 5 minutes / day crafting duties).
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is how faction lock should have been implemented. Half my characters are mothballed under the current system. Feels bad.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As in you faction lock to ep for the campaign...all characters are now playable on ep. Or ad. Or dc.

Basically when you pick your alliance for the campaign, your account is locked to that alliance until campaign reset.

It was obviously ambiguous.

And there are more reasons to object than just the one you mention.
  • Gatdangmayne
    Gatdangmayne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, more reasons such as...?
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    And link alliance to what exactly, if not your characters?
    confused24.gif

Your account
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The faction should be a base game feature that enables a lore based play through. It can already be partly circumvented with the adventurers pack.

With Caldwell's Silver/Gold first enabled on any character, players should get the ability to play with any alliance they choose at the campaign start. Campaigns can still be locked to a certain faction for their duration.
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like this idea
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • Heimpai
    Heimpai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is how faction lock should have been implemented. Half my characters are mothballed under the current system. Feels bad.

Yep, glad i wasted that money on mount upgrades..

Learned my lesson, I’ll just play horse simulator since I can’t see a reason to invest anymore..*** servers/half my characters are unplayable..too bad the 7 day is dead during EU/Oceanic

• Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yuck, account wide alliance lock?
    barf.gif

I have characters i made specifically for each of the alliances and played them through their respective story lines.
    Each of them is fiercely loyal to their alliance.

On the other hand i, the account holder, could not care less about imaginary alliances in a fantasy computer game.

Faction lock for my whole account would make me quit this game, that would be beyond stupid for anyone who can distinguish between real life and a computer generated fantasy world.
    shades.gif

Agree with the bold (hi pro faction lockers), but at the moment a number of your characters are useless every single month unless you want to PvDoor in a dead campaign.

Edited by Mr_Walker on September 4, 2019 2:34AM
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any changes related to faction could be applied only to Cyrodiil and IC, so PVE would remain exactly as it is now.

I think it would be an improvement if a player locked to a particular faction on Kaal could play all of their characters on that faction, regardless of the native faction of the character.

The upside would be that multifaction players could play all of their characters on Kaal. What would the downside be?

I would be disheartened to see some well-known characters I've played alongside or competed against play for different factions, but practicality should take precedence over mere sentiment.

Or ZOS could just revert this change that coincidentally occurred when they introduced Crown store skyshards. Not that I'm implying anything..... but ZOS must have a metric that shows them how much each new character earns them from Crown store purchases and locked factions surely resulted in thousands of new characters that needed shards and riding lessons.

Again, I prefer faction locks and all of my level 50 characters are PC/NA/AD, but I don't think the change was fair to multifaction players.
  • Heimpai
    Heimpai
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yuck, account wide alliance lock?
    barf.gif

I have characters i made specifically for each of the alliances and played them through their respective story lines.
    Each of them is fiercely loyal to their alliance.

On the other hand i, the account holder, could not care less about imaginary alliances in a fantasy computer game.

Faction lock for my whole account would make me quit this game, that would be beyond stupid for anyone who can distinguish between real life and a computer generated fantasy world.
    shades.gif

You’re right..this is just a game, so why is lock even a thing? Who cares if people farm ap, it’s just a fantasy world that doesn’t affect real life
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know my forum account is new, but I've been reading forums for quite awhile and i must say I'm not the least bit surprised you not only came up with some asinine reason that refuses to see any way to compromise, but also managed to say it in a way that sounds like you are a prepubescent kid making anonymous facebook comments.

Yepp, that's me. I have no problem calling a stupid idea stupid when i see it.

Faction locking an account makes no sense unless you are personally somehow invested in a specific alliance (which i am not).

My characters belong to different factions, i do not.
    rolleyes.gif

You have to be with Faction Lock, so either you don't PvP or you are happy not playing your other characters.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a pro-faction locker, this seems like a good compromise. It would still cut down on the faction hopping to grief, troll and exploit, but allow everyone to PvP with all of their toons. It would be strange seeing some well-known opponents fighting by my side, and vice versa, but it is just a game.
    Edited by Marcus684 on September 4, 2019 2:59PM
  • Sanct16
    Sanct16
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I know my forum account is new, but I've been reading forums for quite awhile and i must say I'm not the least bit surprised you not only came up with some asinine reason that refuses to see any way to compromise, but also managed to say it in a way that sounds like you are a prepubescent kid making anonymous facebook comments.

Faction locking an account makes no sense unless you are personally somehow invested in a specific alliance (which i am not).

rolleyes.gif
    I feel like you didn't understand the suggestion. Right now you are faction-locked to a certain faction. The characters that aren't on this particular faction can't be played on this campaign.

The suggestion is that all your characters are playable on this campaign (which you are locked to for a certain faction). So you can play a character that you created on AD in Cyrodiil on EP side.

- EU - Raid Leader of Banana Zerg Squad
    AD | AR 50 | Sanct Fir'eheal | ex Mana DK @31.10.2015
    EP | AR 50 | Sanctosaurus | Mana NB
    AD | AR 44 | rekt ya | Mana NB
    AD | AR 41 | Sanct Thunderstorm | Mana Sorc
    EP | AR 36 | S'na'ct | Mana NB {NA}
    AD | AR 29 | Captain Full Fist| Stam DK
    AD | AR 29 | Sanct The Dark Phoenix| Stam Sorc
    EP | AR 16 | Horny Sanct | Stam Warden
    EP | AR 16 | Sánct Bánáná Sláyér | Mana DK
    DC | AR 13 | ad worst faction eu | Stam Sorc
    DC | AR 13 | Lagendary Sanct | Mana NB

>320.000.000 AP
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanct16 wrote: »
    I feel like you didn't understand the suggestion. Right now you are faction-locked to a certain faction. The characters that aren't on this particular faction can't be played on this campaign.
    I can play all my characters, just not in the campaign i would like to.
    But alliance lock to my account is much worse than what we are having now.
    ThePedge wrote: »
    rolleyes.gif
    You have to be with Faction Lock, so either you don't PvP or you are happy not playing your other characters.
    I'm not sure what game you are playing, but there is no need for me personally to be invested in any of the alliances to actually play PvP.

With 5 guild slots and 5 main characters, there's plenty of room for variation.
    shades.gif

Edited by SirAndy on September 4, 2019 5:54PM
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel they should allow a ONE time per character alliance change.
    However you must have the any race any alliance pack to change a Nord in EP to DC or a Dunmer in EP to AD, etc
    Edited by Katahdin on September 6, 2019 2:56AM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only real argument against could be people who bought any race any alliance, but its not like zos has never given stuff for free that was previously a crown store purchase.

Seems like a good way to make a lot of people happy.

To suggest this is the only real argument just demonstrates how little you know about the games design.

The real argument is Zos has apparently said it is not worth the cost to make it happen as they have said they are not interested in offering faction change and that it intertwines into different areas of the db making not such an easy task.

So there seems to be a real argument and may even be more. Just saying something because it suites your interest does not make it so.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It wasn't.

You severely underestimated what the impact of fervent zealotry of the Faction lockers does to the human brain.
  • LoreToo
    LoreToo
    ✭✭✭
    Count my +. Idea is good and faction lock should work this way. More of that: you can change faction each campaing reset.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks fine to me.

Start a campaign on DC in Kaal. All my characters can only play for DC in Kaal. Nothing else about the character changes.

It’s not hard to understand and still fits the purpose of faction lock pvp.

Of course as an individual I have rp characters that will never fight for DC, but I also have “just for fun” characters that picked an alliance randomly at creation screen.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • LordLomax
    LordLomax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just wait for the new 30 day unlocked campaign or re roll a new toon
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're still locking people into a single alliance, so all the problems that come with that (If I pick AD, I can't play with DC friends; If all the bandwagon hoppers join my alliance and gate-camp the other two, I'm stuck playing with them and can't leave; If I play late-night and it's 3 bars vs 1 vs 1, I'm screwed for a month, etc.) are still there.
  • ZOS_RogerJ
    ZOS_RogerJ
    ✭✭✭✭
    We've removed a few posts as they've gone against our community rules. Please keep the thread on-topic, constructive and civil.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're still locking people into a single alliance, so all the problems that come with that (If I pick AD, I can't play with DC friends; If all the bandwagon hoppers join my alliance and gate-camp the other two, I'm stuck playing with them and can't leave; If I play late-night and it's 3 bars vs 1 vs 1, I'm screwed for a month, etc.) are still there.

When a new campaign starts how do these “hoppers” know which faction to join? Honest question, I’m new to Cyro.

Also, you want to join the losing faction for what reason? A single person won’t change anything. The only reason I can think of is that you know people on your old faction and you know their weakness/pattern/strategy and you want to foil them.
    Edited by max_only on October 7, 2019 4:21PM
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »

When a new campaign starts how do these “hoppers” know which faction to join? Honest question, I’m new to Cyro.

Also, you want to join the loosing faction for what reason? A single person won’t change anything. The only reason I can think of is that you know people on your old faction and you know their weakness/pattern/strategy and you want to foil them.

It's just an assumption that people hop to what is perceived to be the dominant campaign. I question just how many people do this, but that is what a lot of people seem to think happens.

I want to join the "losing" faction because I find it a lot more enjoyable defending against hordes of mediocre players than helping them. As an analogy, if I go to my local YMCA to play basketball, I'm not going to join the team that keeps winning 11-3, 11-4, etc., because they don;t need my help and it makes the whole environment less competitive.
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faction locks ruin characters, and really shows that many players take this game to seriously.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, you want to join the loosing faction for what reason? A single person won’t change anything. The only reason I can think of is that you know people on your old faction and you know their weakness/pattern/strategy and you want to foil them.

It's just an assumption that people hop to what is perceived to be the dominant campaign. I question just how many people do this, but that is what a lot of people seem to think happens.

I want to join the "losing" faction because I find it a lot more enjoyable defending against hordes of mediocre players than helping them. As an analogy, if I go to my local YMCA to play basketball, I'm not going to join the team that keeps winning 11-3, 11-4, etc., because they don;t need my help and it makes the whole environment less competitive.

I see now. It’s a baseless assumption picked from an attitude of pettiness.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, you want to join the losing faction for what reason? A single person won’t change anything. The only reason I can think of is that you know people on your old faction and you know their weakness/pattern/strategy and you want to foil them.

I look at it through the lens of human nature. People play games to have fun, and winning is more fun then losing, so the average player will hop to the faction that they think will be dominant. There was talk that one of the better guild groups was going to swap to DC this last campaign, and look what happened. Instead of AD having a daily pop advantage, DC had it, and it shows.

Of course there’s always exceptions. The 1vXers and small-scalers will often buck the trend and swap to what they think will be the underdog faction so they can farm those hordes of fair weather swappers, and some guild groups will hop away from a dominant faction to try to even things out for better fights, but I believe they’re the minority.
    Edited by Marcus684 on October 7, 2019 10:47PM