Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Possible Spoiler] Summerset's policy on civilized vampires

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
In Murder in Lillandril, is fear of Norasea being hunted down actually unfounded considering Cunodir is freely walking about in the Lillandril Mages Guild and is clearly (?) a vampire?
  • Haywire30
    Haywire30
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help but get the impression that the only reason that Cunodir is tolerated is because he's part of the Mages Guild and they vouch for him. Without the Mages Guild, I can't see it working out for him in Summerset, given their utter hatred of all things Daedric.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vampires are abominations and their origins are found in the acts of Daedra. I would say that Norasea has it right that the Divine Prosecution would hunt them down for sure. If not some mercenary vampire hunters.
    Edited by Korah_Eaglecry on August 29, 2019 9:13PM
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Konstant_Tel_Necris
    Konstant_Tel_Necris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    In Murder in Lillandril, is fear of Norasea being hunted down actually unfounded considering Cunodir is freely walking about in the Lillandril Mages Guild and is clearly (?) a vampire?

He really good on hiding his affliction on plain sight lol, perhaps initial dev idea was in that's Haladan use blood samples from Cunodir rather than synthesized it from scratch for curative?
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we can just chalk this one up to bad / inconsistent writing and call it a day. The Altmer have gone back and forth so many times in their tolerance for daedric magic or necromancy it makes your head spin.

In one ESO quest summoning an atronach is described as a death sentence, and yet the mages guild around the corner is presumably doing that all the time. I mean...do Altmer sorcerers just not exist canonically? Why do Altmer get a bonus to conjuration in every other game if they never use it?

3xuzyrocnjgw.png
    k7w7vdnnad33.png
    4mrneoem3xn9.png

In older lore, necromancy was fine so long as the goal was extending the altmer lifespan "even further" (also retconned since altmer dont live any longer than other elves). In current lore, any form of necromancy is always bad no matter what...except when its not (remember that ghost merchant in Skywatch?)

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Nerassil_the_Bound
    jqzxuvic75te.jpg

It's nonsense. It's all nonsense. Don't even bother.
    Edited by psychotrip on September 1, 2019 12:41PM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a lot of this comes down to trying to place the mindset of an entire people onto one individuals actions. A lot of people make this mistake when claiming one thing is lore friendly and another thing is not. People forget individualism. One Altmer's beliefs or outlook doesn't mean ALL Altmer feel that way, Same goes for any other race.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SirAxen wrote: »
    I think a lot of this comes down to trying to place the mindset of an entire people onto one individuals actions. A lot of people make this mistake when claiming one thing is lore friendly and another thing is not. People forget individualism. One Altmer's beliefs or outlook doesn't mean ALL Altmer feel that way, Same goes for any other race.

Sure. But Norasea is basically bringing up a matter of law which would be enforced by the Divine Prosecution. That's beyond individualism.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its not a matter of what ALL altmer think. Its a matter of being remotely consistent about what is supposedly a major aspect of their society on the whole. If the game didnt make a big deal about it then neither would the player. But we're told that this is an aspect of their society. Yet it's so inconsistent that it becomes noise. That's the opposite of good worldbuilding.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »

Its not a matter of what ALL altmer think. Its a matter of being remotely consistent about what is supposedly a major aspect of their society on the whole. If the game didnt make a big deal about it then neither would the player. But we're told that this is an aspect of their society. Yet it's so inconsistent that it becomes noise. That's the opposite of good worldbuilding.

To be fair, you're constantly bagging ESO just because the canon of this universe doesn't line up with your personal head canon. You'll excuse me if I take your comments with a grain of salt when I see them. This universe is literally built on the foundations of inconsistency, it always has been even WELL before ESO ever existed. ESO takes place in the 2nd ERA, and is many many moons before any of the single player games.
    Edited by SirAxen on September 7, 2019 9:29PM