The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Confusion with alliance points, alliance war skills & skill points

Civ6_Player
Civ6_Player
Soul Shriven
Hello everyone. I would like to ask a noob question about alliance points.

I have two characters. Let's say I main Character A & occasionally play Character B.

I logged into Character B and claim my daily reward of 1500 alliance points.

Character B's alliance war rank is now Volunteer Grade 2 and gained 1 skill point.

I logged into Character A, and found that Character A's alliance war rank is also Volunteer Grade 2 now.

However, unlike Character B, Character A did not have the skill point from earning a new alliance war rank.

So there are 50 skill points from earning a new alliance rank.

But are the 50 skill points available to each character or is it limited to 1 single game account?

Am I able to get the 50 skill points from alliance war for Character A?

Thank you.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of your characters earn alliance points, ranks, and skill points independently of one-another.
  • Civ6_Player
    Civ6_Player
    Soul Shriven
    jaws343 wrote: »
    All of your characters earn alliance points, ranks, and skill points independently of one-another.

But how do I know when I will get the next skill point from alliance war for a Character?

And is the experience that I earn for Alliance War skills is equivalent to the alliance points that I gain? Thank you.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You gain Alliance ranks by gaining Alliance Points (AP) through PVP activities or daily rewards.

You unlock the Alliance Skill Lines, Assault and Support, by gaining AP. Once,youve gained those skills in the skill line, they rank up the usual way through gaining exp.

You gain a Skill Point every time you gain an Alliance Rank. You can check your progress towards the next rank in the Alliance War tab.
    Edited by VaranisArano on July 11, 2018 6:03PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You gain a Skill Point every time you gain an Alliance Rank. You can check your progress towards the next rank in the Alliance War tab.

^This.^

There are 50 Alliance Ranks in PvP ... so you’re eligible for 50 available skill points as you level up Alliance War and Battlegrounds.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a bit confusing now because the Alliance War ranks (which award those skill points) move independent of the Assault/Support skill lines in your skills menu. Both are driven by AP, but it used to be that they 'dinged' at the same time. Now the system levels Assault/Support WAY faster, so they're offset. But this is good...it takes 85,000 AP to unlock Assault/Support 5 and Vigor...it used to unlock at 800,000+ AP.

AP

Alliance points are the currency of PVP. When you earn AP it flashes in the lower left of your screen, and is added to that character's currencies.

AP drives both your Alliance War rank, and it also levels the Assault and Support skill lines. Note - AP does not level the skills themselves. These level via XP like all other skills. You can unlock Vigor (assault 5) and then slot it and go do anything in the game to level vigor.

Alliance War Ranks

This is character based. Each of your characters need to play pvp to earn these skill points. Don't worry! There are so many skill points in the game that you can unlock everything you want without PVP-ing on a character. I have eleven characters who don't PVP, and they are all master crafters with 125+ points in crafting, and with multiple weapon lines, and with absolutely everything they need unlocked. If I really needed points I could go grab the first 10-15 from Alliance War pretty easily, but I've never had to PVP to get points.

You describe a character who was mysteriously already rank 2. My best guess is that you entered Cyrodiil and did the beginner quest, which leveled you up and offered a point at quest completion. You were probably confused and thought it was a skill point quest and not a rank skill point.

Your rank levels based on an algorithm set to AP. There's not a lot of indicators in-game to show where you stand. The best you get is on your campaign menu. In the lower right you will see your current rank, and a meter showing progress to the next rank. When that meter is full, that's when you get your skill point and new rank.

I believe that this chart is still totally accurate:

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Alliance_Points

It's a bit confusing. The most important thing on it is the value for "AP to next rank". This tells you that a brand new toon is a citizen, and needs 700 AP to become a volunteer. This means your little meter on the campaign menu represents 700 AP. If you are rank 11, Corporal Grade 1, it's 193,600 AP to the next rank, so the meter now represents that much AP.

AP tips for beginners (in case it helps)

There is a buff called Blessing of War that offers +20% AP for one hour. You get it by killing any delve boss in Cyrodiil. This really adds up! Familiarize yourself with a delve and it's bosses (they all have multiple bosses with weird spawn patterns) and keep the buff active.

Inexperienced players can earn most of their ap by assisting in keep/resource captures. A capture offers everyone a lump sum, so don't worry if you aren't 'pulling your weight'. Follow your team during a push, and make sure you are 'on property' when a keep or resource flips.

There are five repeatable quests on boards at your base. When PVP-ing, it pays to carry these. They reward 500 - 4000 AP depending on which one. If you pick up one of these that is impossible (like capturing the furthest, hardest keep on the map) feel free to abandon the quest and pick up another.

There is also a system of 'battle AP'. When a fight is conducted on a property, a 'bank' of AP builds up based on how much is earned by your team during battle. If a team successfully defends, they get the bank divided between them after the battle clears. If a team successfully captures, the bank is divided usually with the capture reward, but sometimes it takes a little longer. IMPORTANT: to get on the list to get a share of the battle AP, you need to help in that battle before the battle clears. You help by damaging an enemy (you don't have to kill them), healing an ally, or repairing a wall/door. It might be a good idea when you arrive at a battle to first take a second to repair a wall somewhere to ensure you're on the list.

Under the new system (Update 18) you DO NOT need to stay on property until the battle AP is rewarded. This used to be the case. You will stay on the list for a battle until you step on the property of another asset of the same type. In other words, you participate in a battle at Black Boot keep and your team successfully defends. You're on that battle list until you step foot onto the property of a different keep. You may go to a farm, mine, mill or outpost and stay on the keep list. You can move around, just don't transport to a new keep until you see your battle AP come through.

The only time this usually comes into play is huge, long battles where it might take the system 10+ minutes to reward the battle pot. If you participate in a massive battle and your team wins, try to stay away from resources of the same type until you see a chunk of AP come in. I earned 27k for a big defense this weekend, it took a while to award. If I'd immediately transited to another keep I'd have lost it. so it's worth watching and making sure you aren't losing your battle AP.

Hope that helps. If you have questions, use @davey1107 in your reply and I'm happy to answer anything that is unclear.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bumping to see if there's a handy, currently accurate guide as to what the breakpoints are for gaining skill points via AP.

Note to mods: Everything previous in this thread looks current and accurate to me.

You do NOT (any longer?) get skill points at the same time you level up your Alliance War skill lines, so the link below doesn't seem wholly correct.

https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Alliance+Rank

Does anybody have a more accurate one?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get skill points for gaining Alliance War Rank. Here are the AP requirements for each rank: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Alliance_Points#Alliance_War_Ranks